Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Austrian Army Regimental Names

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Austrian Army Regimental Names

I use English almost daily at work, read books in English, and at home we watch DVD in original version. My wife likes English a lot and she speaks much better than me.
    i can make illusion here because it's written English, but should you hear me speak,you'd guess I'm French after a few words .
    I know that my grammar is not always perfect, but I have a lot of vocabulary. Good to exchange on forums like here, or also when I travel for my job: I know that I can speak about virtually any subject with the people I meet. Well, not with every one though. Few Mexicans speak more than a few words in English...

I agree with Didz about "consistency". This is very important, and actually why I started MoE. There were other mods adding units, but the style of the icons, or the name of units, or the stats, are not consistent and it gives a kind of inconsistent result which is not very good for immersion in my eyes.

Hence redoing the uniforms for every faction, using the same recruitment system for all, redoing all the icons so they all look alike, using the same naming convention (but trying to do everything in the local language is not always easy!)...

That's also why I won't try to make a Napoleon mod based on Shogun or Rome engine, even if they give more modding options. Because it would look very strange to have for example nice French uniforms, but fighting ancient Britons... Or to have good land battles, but galleys in the sea battle... Or Ancient buildings when fighting in cities...
    A Napoleon mod with Rome engine means redoing EVERYTHING.

I'm impressed by people who try something like the Great War mod: a complete rework of the game to make it something it wasn't designed to do.
    But this requires a large team of very skilled and dedicated people.

I'm less ambitious than that: I also want to make a complete overhaul for improved gameplay / uniforms / consistency, but at least within the general scope for which the game was initially designed.

Thanks for the advice Didz. I may consider German then.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Hi Steph,
    Yes in your written English you wouldn't know you were French.

My Austrian mod is my first real attempt, not as ambitious as MOE, not as mammoth as yours. For me however its a big deal and even if I never do another, its important to me to try this. There are so few of us left on the NTW Forum it seems futile but I am going to do this anyway.

I have unlocked units but I have no new ones (well not yet); what's holding me back is making unit cards. I have been changing stuff in PFM, hundreds of entries (very tedious). I want to change victory conditions and make new events in startpos, but I can't seem to get it right. Maybe someone would be willing to assist me. The goal of my minimod is to have the Hapsburg's recreate or reclaim the Holy Roman Empire, that means I have to change the startpos to reflect all the German states, Northern Italy and the Papal States as well as Alsace Loraine. I keep trying but failing on that. That however is the goal.

Steph, would you name the Austrian units in German or English? Most TW customers are English speaking I think, I could be wrong.

Can you help with startpos or can you refer me to someone who can?

Also since you're a citizen and I'm just a member, I thought I would ask if you knew why I have no response on my request for a mod page. I have requested a page for my mod in accordance with the instructions on the released mod page, via private message but no one has responded? Have all those citizens left our forum?
    Last edited by ordoprinceps; December 05, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456