Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD **QUOTES NEEDED**

Default Re: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD - CENTRAL POWERS GENERALS ADDED

Quote Originally Posted by Achea View Post
    Whoops, sorry about that. It wasn't supposed to be an infiltration battalion, it was just a uniform picture, because that is what I thought you wanted.
    Oh, my bad, I didn't notice that it was a quote Yea, unifrom pictures and units are very much appreciated
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Piledriver2311's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD - CENTRAL POWERS GENERALS ADDED

Whoops, sorry about that. It wasn't supposed to be an infiltration battalion, it was just a uniform picture, because that is what I thought you wanted.
    well, if thats the same uniform then okay. If you can find an early uniform example that would be good too

From the very first time I fixed my eyes on youuu girl... My heart says follow through..
    TGW BETA TESTER? TGW REASERCH GUY

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Icon3 Romanian Army

Here is a lot of info about the Romanian army, hope is helpful (and rep is always welcomed)

Videos, links, and very useful resources
    Some videos about the Romanian army in action, they're not so good quality, but you can see something.

Film about fighting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn58K...ayer_embedded#

Pictures of generals, leaders, soldiers, and some descriptions (they're in Romanian, sry, but I think a Portuguese might get something, our langs are similar)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Dqd...eature=related

This link shows a pitcture with some Romanian soldiers captured by Germans, and two pictures with captured Romanian artillery:
    http://brasovean2008.blogspot.com/20...tului-din.html

Here are wonderful reenactions, with modern pics:
    http://www.mirceateodorescu.com/?p=143

A gif from wiki showing some artillery fighting:

Uniforms and weapons
    British propaganda poster, showing Wilhelm II and Ferdinand of Romania (they were from the same family, lol). The uniform of Ferdinand is exemplar for high-grade generals or marshals. This pic could be used in the loading screen with propaganda posters.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here's a pic with artillery in action:

Some reenactors:

An artistic pic:

Before the Battle of Mărășești ,were we defeated the Germans:

The presidential (back then royal) guard regiment "Mihai Viteazu":

Here is a fighting from 1877, in the independence war, the ones on the hill are Romanians:

corporal from a line infantry regiment, 1873, it suits the early uniforms
    sergeant, in 1912

The main infantry weapon was the Russian Mosin-Nagant, and the hand weapon was the Austrian Steir Hahn M1912:

We also used the light French MG chauchat. I couldn't find more info on weapons, but I will try later.

After 1916, we got many influences in uniforms and tactics from the French. The colours were a bit similar, and we borrowed the exactly same helmet type.
    Last edited by RO Citizen; February 07, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD - SOME NEUTRAL POWERS ADDED, PORTUGAL ADDED

Nice, +rep when I can.

If you add Portugal then I presume you'll add the republic of ireland?

Nice, +rep when I can.
    Thx. I'll try to find info on more countries, too.

Ireland became independent only in 1921, so no, it won't be included, it will be only emergent. I hope some unrest, like in Russia, will be added.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Jakethe_Snake15's Avatar Ordinarius

Ok...I posted this earlier today, mistakenly on the wrong area of the forum. I just ask that the makers of this mod only humor my plea:
    Please make Canada a playable faction. We Canucks sent (keeping in mind our population at the outbreak of the war was only around 10 million people total, according to several of the many books I have lying around, though a quick wiki search said 7.2 million...) roughly 800 000 soldiers to fight in the Great War. Of these, roughly 200 000 were casualties, with 65 000 deaths. I don't mean to bog down with statistics and what not, but all that I am asking is that there be either a playable faction in campaign as Canada, or have many more Canadian units in the British faction. I will do some rooting around for units and what not that could be usable, but off the top of my head:
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI's)
    Royal Canadian Rifles
    Royal Canadian Regiment (Though the Rifles may be the same as the other RCR..)
    Canadian Mounted Rifles
    That is all I can think of now, will be doing some more research and what not over the coming days/weeks if I can, classes have resumed any I find I have limited time now to just tool around on the computer.
    But again, I ask that the mod maker(s) will at least just humor me, as I am aware that an undertaking of this kind of project (mods in general) can take a huge amount of time, and is far beyond my very meagre computer abilities/skills.
    Again thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spader/Alan Shore "Boston Legal"
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

Quote Originally Posted by wellington1815 View Post
    Ok...I posted this earlier today, mistakenly on the wrong area of the forum. I just ask that the makers of this mod only humor my plea:
    Please make Canada a playable faction. We Canucks sent (keeping in mind our population at the outbreak of the war was only around 10 million people total, according to several of the many books I have lying around, though a quick wiki search said 7.2 million...) roughly 800 000 soldiers to fight in the Great War. Of these, roughly 200 000 were casualties, with 65 000 deaths. I don't mean to bog down with statistics and what not, but all that I am asking is that there be either a playable faction in campaign as Canada, or have many more Canadian units in the British faction. I will do some rooting around for units and what not that could be usable, but off the top of my head:
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI's)
    Royal Canadian Rifles
    Royal Canadian Regiment (Though the Rifles may be the same as the other RCR..)
    Canadian Mounted Rifles
    That is all I can think of now, will be doing some more research and what not over the coming days/weeks if I can, classes have resumed any I find I have limited time now to just tool around on the computer.
    But again, I ask that the mod maker(s) will at least just humor me, as I am aware that an undertaking of this kind of project (mods in general) can take a huge amount of time, and is far beyond my very meagre computer abilities/skills.
    Again thanks.
    The Canadians were under British High command at the time. I don't think it would be possible to make them playable on the campaign, but im certian to an extent that they will make more factions for custom battles.

From the very first time I fixed my eyes on youuu girl... My heart says follow through..

The Canadians were under British High Command at the time yes, but the Canadian ...either Minister of Defence or Militia, I cannot remember at this point in time.... managed to secure a certain amont of autonomy for the CEF. I think that it would be doable to a certain extent in campaign. I don't know though. I can't remember if the campaign AI assigns you missions like in Rome and MW2:TW, but that might be one way to do it, if at all possible. For instance, in late 1916 High Command would give the CEF orders to take Vimy by summer, 1917. I don't know if the AI can be set up this way, but I think if it's possible would make it an interesting variant on just having complete control and doing whatever you want etc.
    I've always been convinced that friends should encourage friends to have their heads examined.

It's detailed in the book Vimy, by Pierre Berton. I would have it right here, but I managed to forget it at school somehow, along with several others.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD - SOME GERMAN EMPIRE UNIFORMS ADDED

You guys probably have American uniforms, but here's some anyway.

This was their parade uniform. I highly doubt they wore it to battle.

Their battle uniform was pretty close to the British.

A Sergeant

Standard weapons were the M1903 Springfield

Browning Automatic Rifle

Chauchat MG (The worst weapon in history)

Colt M1911
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; February 06, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Dear RO Citizen, i have to disagree with you on the uniforms of the 1877 war being appropriate for the Great War. The uniforms of the Romanian army had been changed from the old ones in 1912. As such, all of the uniforms from 1912 onwards were close to the standard of greyish colour and capela hat. The uniform was only marginally modified in 1916. See my post here regarding this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=398692&page=3. But definetly +rep for your efforts. And i guess for diversity sake earlier uniforms could be used aswell.

Early uniforms would include the following aswell:

Chasseurs a pied - photos are actually authentic photos from military archives. However, the uniforms date from 1861 and i believe they were replaced by 1912.

Line Infantry uniform 1861

Changes in the uniform of the Territorial Infantry (known as Dorobanti) from 1877 to 1884 (last picture actually shows the uniform of a Muslim Dorobant from the newly acquired province of Dobrudja)

Infantry Uniform in 1891
    Last edited by Wallachian; February 07, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Oh, thx for the correction, Wallachian, really appreciated. I'm going to edit the first post to show the good variant I also didn't know that the Vanatori's hat was similar to the Bersaglieri one. Those images and the info on that site is awesome, thx! +rep

I really hope they'll add the early/late (pre and post 1912) unit types to Romania, too, like they did to France. I mean, we could not only fight WW1, but wars before it, too, like the Balkan Wars, our independence war, etc.

Here are more pics from the same site (hope you know French or Romanian):

Post war infantry (I think this uniforms were used during the Hungarian-Romanian war, too)

These guys look like Nazis...it may be from the grayscale

Officers and common soldier in detail
    [Col] RO Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    Oh, thx for the correction, Wallachian, really appreciated. I'm going to edit the first post to show the good variant I also didn't know that the Vanatori's hat was similar to the Bersaglieri one. Those images and the info on that site is awesome, thx! +rep

I really hope they'll add the early/late (pre and post 1912) unit types to Romania, too, like they did to France. I mean, we could not only fight WW1, but wars before it, too, like the Balkan Wars, our independence war, etc.

Here are more pics from the same site (hope you know French or Romanian):

Post war infantry (I think this uniforms were used during the Hungarian-Romanian war, too)

Don't want to sound like i'm contradicting you again but the Hungarian-Romanian war was in 1919 and these uniforms were introduced in 1921. In the 1919 war they would have had the same uniforms as in WW1. Too bad this picture of Romanian occupation troops in Budapest in 1919 is greyscale so we can't tell

On the other hand, you might be right about the old uniforms still being used at least until 1913. Here's a great French newspaper page announcing Romania's entry into the Balkan Wars and showing the army's uniforms. Unless, the newspaper has outdated uniforms they could all be used for the early units I believe.

From left to right
    • Top: officer of general staff, black general, hussar (in blue uniform) and gendarme officer of infantry (with pickelhauben)
    • Low : gunner, red hussar, light infantryman (with the bersaglieri hat), militia (blue uniform, white pants) and infantry
    Obviously, these uniforms were the ones before the well known the grey/blue ones were introduced.

For a better quality photo of the same check this website http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail...Hulton-Archive

Also, here's a uniform of the Hungarian Red Army from the Military Museum in Budapest

And a banner of the Hungarian Red Army

British information poster

KING FERDINAND OF RUMANIA REVIEWING SIEGE ARTILLERY AT A RECENT CELEBRATION IN BUCHAREST

RUMANIAN SOLDIERS IN THE STREETS OF BUCHAREST

And finally, the confirmation that the Bersaglieri type units still existed in WW1. These photos are from 'The War Illustrated" 28th July 1917. The article is titled 'The Rumanian Soldier as I Know Him' by Basil Clarke ' Special Correspondent in Rumania and Elsewhere '.

Romanian infantry and mountain troops

Artilery and a group of officers

Romanian hussars and mounted royal guard

For some absolutely amazing photos of the war from all over the globe check out this website http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Gre...llustrated.htm

Lot more stuff to come soon.
    Last edited by Wallachian; February 09, 2011 at 04:54 AM.

Altough, all info is appreciated, Please post period info... 1914-1918. If you can't find uniforms for a certain faction for 1914, and let me know, and find a 1913 uniform that is fine. Please limit the ammount of pre or post war info, im trying to organize this. Thanks in advance

Hey mate, yeah no problems, makes sense not cluttering the thread with useless info. But the thing is the Romanian Army had a uniform change in 1912 and then the next one was in 1916 so the uniforms of 1913 would be the same in 1914 aswell. And if you meant the Hungarian uniforms, one of the developers mentioned that the Hungarian Soviet Republic will be the republican faction for Hungary so that's why i posted that Hungarian Red Army uniform. All the best with sorting through all the info and +rep for your effort!

@ Wallachian

Ah I see, is there any way you can provide a source on this for me to look at, sounds interesting.

alien_t's Avatar В Съединението е Силата

Hi Guys,
    I'm following up your mod from some time... and saw a sub-section "Kingdom of Bulgaria" in the OP of this thread.

Do you need any info about Bulgarian army in WW1 - uniforms, generals, armament etc?
    Bulgaria: Total War - Mod For M2TW
    Check my Turnovo, custom settlement video preview or download it here
    Under the Honorable Patronage of B. Ward

"...We are Bulgarians and and all suffer from one common disease [e.g., the Ottoman rule]" and "Our task is not to shed the blood of Bulgarians, of those who belong to the same people that we serve" - Gotse Delchev, Collective memory, national identity, and ethnic conflict: Greece, Bulgaria, and the Macedonian question, Victor Roudometof, Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002, ISBN 0275976483, p. 79.

"The Bulgarians, these are the people, who had everything they wished for. A nation, where the one who buys the nobility with the blood of the enemy receives titles..." - Magnus Felix Ennodius, description of battle at Margus
    (Morava) river 505 AD

Would be helpful, yes, alien_t
    [Col] RO Citizen

alien_t's Avatar В Съединението е Силата

OK, I have some uniform pictures...will gather as much as I can and will post them latter here.
    Bulgaria: Total War - Mod For M2TW
    Check my Turnovo, custom settlement video preview or download it here
    Under the Honorable Patronage of B. Ward

"...We are Bulgarians and and all suffer from one common disease [e.g., the Ottoman rule]" and "Our task is not to shed the blood of Bulgarians, of those who belong to the same people that we serve" - Gotse Delchev, Collective memory, national identity, and ethnic conflict: Greece, Bulgaria, and the Macedonian question, Victor Roudometof, Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002, ISBN 0275976483, p. 79.

"The Bulgarians, these are the people, who had everything they wished for. A nation, where the one who buys the nobility with the blood of the enemy receives titles..." - Magnus Felix Ennodius, description of battle at Margus
    (Morava) river 505 AD