Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems

You may want to post this in the SS forum as well.

I would however suggest to try this method before renaming folders.

This helped a lot, thank you so much.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Blog Entries

Do both and forget about it after that. A different user account will require the same tutorial - once.

Senator

I've downloaded and used the Take Ownership tool and set the folder to be not Read Only - and edited the properties of the folder from the security tab as shown. I've tried varying the order i do each in too (i.e which first and which second and which third) - but no matter how i do it, every time i right click on the folder and look at properties it's back to having the 'Read Only' box filled in in green.

The only effect of doing all this seems to be that i can't run Medieval II, Kingdoms or any mod as an administrator - it says it can't find kingdoms.exe if i do. I can only run them by clicking 'open' now.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack One.

I've also noticed that after doing all this there are two different sets of permissions for me as user in advanced - (screenshot attached). One is full control - and the other is 'Read and execute' only - and no matter how many times i go to change permissions and put the 'Read and execute' one to full control , when i check it again it's back to 'Read and Execute' only.

Also, as you can see from the second screenshot, 'special permissions' is never ticked when i select full control - it can't be selected and is never ticked
    Last edited by Dunadd; February 06, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Blog Entries

As far as I know an account is always defined as 'user' and will additionally be listed as 'administrator' if he is so designated. If you look closer in the pictures in step 3 you will see that it is there as well. If they are one and the same I would assume that permissions from the administrator setting are inherited by the user setting.
    I have never touched the special permissions and know little about it - just a vague idea that they may be global permissions for designated user groups.
    If the 'read-only' box is only filled and not ticked it means that only a part of the content is read-only. I presume it's just the root folder as it has never given me problems with any of the files - and yes, it returns to that state regardless of how many times you try reverse it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 06, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

"Special Permissions" i believe are for Microsoft's idiots to update your copy of Windows and program developers for the same purpose and cut us that don't buy their "Developer" license out of this loop.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by maximvs3 View Post
    Okay never mind, actually it worked on Windows 8.
    First turn off UAC and restart PC.
    Second, give full control to the m2tw file, do the same for the 6.3 by right click properties, once done run it and install 6.3
    Third, right-click on the 6.4 and give full control to the file, then run it and install 6.4 and DO NOT CHOOSE to "run setup" just yet!!!
    Fourth, go to the m2tw folder, look for mods and there you will have the kingdoms folder (americas, crusades, britain, etc.) and the ss6.3. rename one of the kingdom folder to whatever you want, then rename the ss6.3 to the name the last folder was before you renamed it (*ex: I renamed "crusades" to "aaa" then renamed the stainless steel folder to "crusades")
    Last, now run the setup AS ADMIN!!!! Or else it won't work. And there you can play 6.4 on windows 8..... of a process but it's guaranteed!
    I went from XP to Windows 8 over night, and this makes my head hurt.

Wish me luck.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok. Problem solved.

Disable UAC. Restart your computer.

Install medieval 2 outside the program files -folder. Preferably in Games, located inside your personal folders (your user name folder).

Enjoy your game.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Blog Entries

So there isn't really any difference, I have been preaching the 'install outside the default folder' sermon since XP. Or do you mean that the UAC&VirtualStore routine doesn't help if M2TW is still in the 'program folder' ?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If I catch you right I will state the following. UAC alone didnt help when installing Deus Lo Vult in programfiles (x86), so I deleted the whole m2tw folder. I then installed it again in c:/myname/Games/SEGA/...

Having already turned off UAC, and relocated the M2TW folder, Deus Lo Vult worked flawlessly.

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding Windows 8 and installation. I just bought a new computer with it.

~Wille

Blog Entries

Thanks for confirming. Looks like windows8 took it one level further. So it seems it's a must for W8 guys to install outside of the program folder if they want to play mods?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Let me correct myself about one important thing. (It's been a long week for me.)

It was Deus lo Vult that worked perfectly fine in program files(x86), even with UAC turned on, but the mini-mod Battlefield Balance (about 800 mb) didn't.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    If I catch you right I will state the following. UAC alone didnt help when installing the mini-mod Battlefield Balance in programfiles (x86), so I deleted the whole m2tw folder. I then installed it again in c:/myname/Games/SEGA/...

Having already turned off UAC, and relocated the M2TW folder, Battlefield Balance worked flawlessly.

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding Windows 8 and installation. I just bought a new computer with it.

(Taiji, the creator of Battlefield Balance, specifically said in his instalation instruction the following:
    Windows 7 and Vista:
    If you have windows 7 or vista then you have to mess around to get DLV+BB installed.

Disable UAC, install M2TW to it's own a folder outside program files, take ownership of the m2tw folder and subfolders, AND ONLY THEN to install DLV and BB.

In the end, why DLV worked fine and BB didn't is a question for me as well.

~Wille

Blog Entries

Is BB a submod for DLV? If so, then the VirtualStore is messing things up. Simply setting the UAC to the lowest level does not help - you need to set the permissions and delete the M2 folder in the VirtualStore as described in the first step (from step onward).
    If you install outside the program folder from the word 'go' you will avoid all the hassle as the VirtualStore doesn't back up stuff outside it. In Principle windows copies stuff from the program folder into the virtual store and then accesses the files from there. When you replace files in the program folder the VirtualStore doesn't get updated (at least not with mods). The installation of DLV adds files which get copied to the VirtualStore, but files replaced by the submod do not get updated. At least that's my take on it.

Is this absolutely necessary? I've installed everything already and it all seems to be working fine without having done this.

I do it out of habit after the Vista release fiasco before installing anything besides Windows.

michell's Avatar Tiro

Hmm
    Should I removethe security concens BEFORE installing any mods or can I do it AFTER mod install?
    Last edited by michell; February 28, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Before. You maybe reinstalling the mods if not.

Blog Entries

If you do it after then you will have to sort out the VirtualStore by deleting the med2 folder in it.

michell's Avatar Tiro

Ok
    But if I have installed Med 2 outside Program Files folder (D/games/Mediewal location) should I do it too?

Blog Entries

Installation outside the program file folder will save you the trouble with the VirtualStore, you should still do the permission steps. It's a one time affair.