Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: How To Fix UAC and VirtualStore Problems

It's not my tutorial, I just refer people to it all the time.

And yes, the M2TW folder in the virtual store directory (the path you gave) is the one you should delete. Don't delete the virtual store folder - only the M2TW folder:

C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War

Cilician Pirate's Avatar Libertus

Hello again Gigantus, thanks for your quick response. Well, I disabled the virtual store feature like it said in the 3rd tutorial method. Then after that I deleted the M2TW folder in the virtual store:(C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval 2 Total War)

.... but, when I went to check on my mods some of them (Broken Crescent, Third Age) had lost all of their campaign game saves and things that I had changed in the preferences cfg. reverted back to their default stage (such as minimal UI, green arrow markers). Also, each time I load Broken Crescent now the game settings reset themselves.

So is this all suppose to happen?? I mean, for the most part I don't mind redoing all the settings and starting new campaigns....but I thought the M2TW folder in the Virtual Store only contained "virtual" copies and shouldn't interfere with the game or mods at all?

And lastly, I still have the deleted M2TW virtual store folder in my computer's trash can.....so is there anyway I can restore it to its original place? And can I get things back to the way they were before I deleted the M2TW folder in virtual store??

Sorry about all the new questions.

Blog Entries

Deleting something in the virtual store will not remove it from the original spot. My only explanation would be, that for instance your saves were directly in the virtual store in stead of the game folder.
    If you have the M2TW virtual store folder still in your recycle bin then you can easily restore it by opening the RB (double click the icon on your desktop), select the directory in the listing of deleting items and then choose 'restore this item'
    I am fairly certain that you will find all your save files in the restored m2tw virtual store folder. Simply copy them into your game folder in the respective folders.
    Same with the CFG files (original game and mods)
    After that delete the m2tw virtual folder again and try your mod again.

Alright, I restored the folder from the recycle bin like you said Gigantus and it looks like all my saves and CFG files are back in order. Thanks!

But with that said, is it really necessary for me to delete the M2TW folder in Virtual Store? I have after all, already disabled virtual store via the 3rd method in the tutorial..... and I'm not really comfortable copying and pasting files/folders.....so is it absolutely necessary to delete the M2TW folder in Virtual Store after already disabling the Virtual Store feature??

Blog Entries

The fact that the files in the virtual store are still accessed even after disabling it would suggest that it is advisable.
    If you are not comfortable with moving\copying data that's fine - you are now aware that this matter exists and the next time something doesn't work the way you expected it you can have a look into the virtual store to see what happened.
    If you are not a modder yourself then you shouldn't run into to many hassles.

Okay thanks for the info. I have another question though:

After I removed the security concerns about my M2TW install (method 3) I’ve been experiencing a bit of lag today in some of my mods during battles, especially in the new one I downloaded afterwards (Invasio Barbarorvm Vandals).

Do you think my messing around with the virtual store (i.e. removing security concerns/deleting and then restoring the Virtual Store M2TW file from recycle bin) could have any effect on M2TW or its mods performance? Or am I just being paranoid about virtual store’s capabilities and this is more a question of my own cheap computer’s poor functioning?

Also, by removing the security concerns about my M2TW install (method 3) does that in turn leave my M2TW install open to new viruses when downloading and installing brand new mods??

Really sorry for the multitude of questions .

Blog Entries

AV programs check programs when they are being downloaded, installed and executed -I don't see any concern. The virtual store is more of a repository ifI understand matters correctly, a backup if you will.
    The lag that you are experiencing will most likely be due to custom textures. In the earlier days older machine weren't able to handle all the textures in a siege battle properly so we had a reduced texture set for it which helped. That's why I think it has to with the lag, having the latest processor doesn't necessary help as the game uses only one core.

Well it is good to hear that the lag is not the effect of something I did with the Virtual Store. Okay, I think I'm all set for now. Thanks alot for the help and quick responses Gigantus, I really appreciate it.
    Oh, and thanks to SigniferOne for making this tutorial.

[*]Press the start key in you keyboard and type Local in it's search box and u will see the Local Security Policy icon on top.
    [*]Another trick is Via run command Press +R. We get the Run command box and in it type secpol.msc and that will open up the local security policy control window.

hey i did this on my computor and it doesnt work i have the new windows 7 but it cant find the virtual store. If this helps i have an HP laptop pavilion g7

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

That only works on networks. It does not work on presonal copies.

oki then what do i do then

Do it like in the OP. I can't make it any easier or more straightforward.

I downloaded Shogun 2 through Steam. Can I do this with the entire Steam folder?

Yes. You can do it to C: drive icon and solve many problems at once.

Will these Virtual Store problems occur in Windows 8 too?
    I stil have Win 7 Ultimate, very satisfied with them, but am wondering about this if I upgrade to win 8 some day.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Dunno but my money says it will be worse. I'm not upgrading so it will be up to someone else to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Dunno but my money says it will be worse. I'm not upgrading so it will be up to someone else to find out.
    Yea, my opinion is the same A friend of mine has win 8 and he called me yesterday asking about how to install Rome TW and ANY mod cause he wasn`t allowed to play the mod ( SPQR mod) even he installed it as Administrator ( Win XP solution) and then I gave him pointers about Security Editing and searching for Virtual Store etc.

Well, at least we`ll have win 7
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Someone buy me a copy, I'll install it on a spare drive and figure it out for this member. I don't have the desire to go through the trouble otherwise after I read how they tying it closer to the BIOS version you have and how much they'll allow the motherbaord manufacturers to tinker with it especially with the BIOS replacement many have already gone to.

maximvs3's Avatar Laetus

Hey guys, I am new here and in desperate need of help, how do i install SS 6.4 on Windows 8? The panels in Win. 8 are brand new and sort of confusing and I've tried turning off UAC, giving m2tw file full control, resetting, etc. But I still keep getting the pesky "error unable to create a temporary file.." window when trying to run the set up for early campaign (SS 6.3 runs! However that retarded mod crashes at 1150 AD playing as byzantines so i had to try upgrading to 6.4 and I'm sure it can work! I ran 6.4 without moving anything on Vista before i upgraded to 8)
    Thanks for any help you can get guys =)

maximvs3's Avatar Laetus

Okay never mind, actually it worked on Windows 8.
    First turn off UAC and restart PC.
    Second, give full control to the m2tw file, do the same for the 6.3 by right click properties, once done run it and install 6.3
    Third, right-click on the 6.4 and give full control to the file, then run it and install 6.4 and DO NOT CHOOSE to "run setup" just yet!!!
    Fourth, go to the m2tw folder, look for mods and there you will have the kingdoms folder (americas, crusades, britain, etc.) and the ss6.3. rename one of the kingdom folder to whatever you want, then rename the ss6.3 to the name the last folder was before you renamed it (*ex: I renamed "crusades" to "aaa" then renamed the stainless steel folder to "crusades")
    Last, now run the setup AS ADMIN!!!! Or else it won't work. And there you can play 6.4 on windows 8..... of a process but it's guaranteed!