Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own formations

Default Re: Your own formations

In my every army i have a unit of peasants the idea is to sacrifice them so they can attract the entire enemy army at one spot and then use flaming artillery and archers to make a nice party the catch is the lower the unit quality the les time i have before they break and run.
    Last edited by Macan; April 10, 2007 at 02:50 PM.

These formations only work against smaller armies or ones that don't move and wait for you to kill them.This is just to use against the AI but in multiplayer it has no uses the plan is that you count the enemy to do one thing but what if they do something else and make the formation a death trap it happened to me once in multiplayer.He saw how i play against the AI and knew what i was gonna do.IT IS A BAD PLAN THAT CAN NOT BE ALTERED!!!!!

Great formation for any Greeks if you are out numbered and surrounded just form a box and let the enemy come at you and you will soundly defeat them. If it is used against the Egyptians you may lose more because they have excellent missile units.

Chariot/Elephant Charge

Chariot/Elephant = B
    Infantry = I
    Enemy = X

...........XXXXX...............
    ...........B...B..B..............
    ...........IIIIIIIIII..............

The trick is that when the elephant or chariots are in the midst of breaking the enemy line, send your infantry NOT cavalry immediately to finish them off. Obviously, don't send your infantry in phalanx formation to charge though. While your army are now engaged, remove your chargers immediately and send them into another unit, mainly the general.
    Tricky Defender

catintheoven's Avatar Senator

this is for greeks

.............................CCC
    ........................M..P...P..M
    .......................J.J.J.P.P.J.J.J
    ...........................C G C

C = Javelin Cavalry
    M = Mercenary Infantry
    J = Javelin
    P = Phalanx
    G = General

The Javelin Cavalry at the front do some heavy damage to infantry and lure them forward into the rage of your javelins behind, then when they run into the mouth of phalanx you sweep round and attack them from behind

and the spare cavalry are for emergencies, for attacking flankers and luring enemy generals
    Last edited by catintheoven; April 20, 2007 at 09:34 AM.

In the UK we are a democracy one day in four years when we elect our oligarchy

To beat a nation with strong cavalry you should do like this:
    Javelinmen/skirmishers placed in front of phalanxes, and at last the general and other cavalry behind to outflank them. The enemy will be drawn to the javelinmen/skirmishers and when they charge with thier cavalry they will be struck by the phalaxes. This also works against infantry, the javelinmen/skirmishers throw thier ammo and then hide behind your own infatry. Once the enemy line is locked onto your phalanxes send in your cavalry. And make it simple, there's no need to make it hard for yourself.

Archer of Sparta's Avatar Tiro
    Oh, a little east of italy in a small town called Sparta.

RTR Platinum 1.9 Greeks.
    This is the non-Macedonian phalanx, its a different type of phalanx it has smaller spears in the phalanx position but with no special ability (no lifting up spears and putting them down again).

X = Hoplites
    C = Athinian/Spartan Hoplites
    P = Peltasts
    7 = Thracian Infantry
    G = Generals
    A = Archers

Code:
       XXXXXXXXXXX
    CC PPPPPPPPPPP CC
    77 AAAAAAAAAA  77
    GG             GG
    Hoplites hold the line
    Peltasts panic the enemy
    Archers kill the cavalry or routers
    Athinians/Spartans Protect the flanls
    Thracians are reserves
    Generals go out and attack some light units if they can

Should work for Vanilla too.

I have been playing with the Gauls lately; Vanilla SP. Simple yet effective formation against Romans, Germans, Brits, Spain, and Carthage so far.

C = Cavalry (hopefully family members or at least heavy)
    O = Infantry: best I can afford, or anything on hand to increase numbers.

- = empty space

CCCC OOOO CCCC
    ------OOOO

I charge my cav at the corners of the enemy line and I charge my frontline of infantry to my left. Back line charge forward.

May have a druid around to chant in the back.

The ratio is about one cav to one infantry.

Another fine yet easy formation with Gauls

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    ---------G
    LOL

Same basic tactic. Front line charges at an angle in an attempt to overwhelm one side. Back line goes straight ahead to protect the backside of my inf that just charged. The overwhelmed side of the enemy line is likely to panic.

I am either a tactical genius or my enemy is not very good.

But seriously, Gaul units have a good charge for the most part. Even the infantry. 2+ infantry charging one infantry tends to work well. Phalanxes just have to be out manuevered. Not THAT hard with Gauls.

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Ill avoid Romans and post my Seleucid or Armenia tactics.

first line - phalanx
    second line - legionnaries
    third line - usually one or two archer groups
    left flank - missile cavalry
    right flank - heavy cavalry

so simply said
    *€dite* nevermind, ill draw a pic...

simply advance phalanx towards the enemy, then as they make contact, legionnaries charge over them, with missile cavalry making short flank to the back to cut the escape route and heavy cavalry waiting for enemy to tire down to charge and end the battle

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

General=G
    Princeps=P
    Hastati=H
    Triarii=T
    Cavalry=C
    Veiletes=V
    V V
    H H H H H
    T P P P P P T
    C T T T C
    G

Youre basic manipular formation with a slight modification.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Scythian sweeping horde:
    SNA: Scythian Noble Archers
    HHM: Head Hunting Maidens
    A: Archers
    HHM AAAA HHM
    HHM SNA SNA SNA HHM HHM SNA SNA SNA HHM
    HHM SNA SNA HHM

EDIT: Dammit, my formating wont work.
    Last edited by Vault Dweller; October 17, 2007 at 06:16 AM.
    Asking for rep is a sure fire way to not receive any, at least from this old cynic.

Legionem Insanis's Avatar Biarchus

Playing as Romans:
    I generally use a lot of heavy infantry two rows deep with one or two units in reserve the following for support:

2 units Cavalry Auxilia (missle cavalry)
    2 units Heavy Cavalry
    1 unit Archers

Depending on the enemy I am facing I trade heavy infantry for:

2 Auxilia (Triari) units to protect archers and flanks from cavalry
    2+ Light Auxilia (Velites) if I am facing elephants (not as much against chariots as I find that heavy infantry in deep lines gets them stuck)
    Balista and more Archers against elephants. Flaming arrows seem to work well to cause them to run amok.

Basic Formation is:

CA = cavalry auxilia
    HC = heavy cavalry
    HI = heavy infantry
    AA = archers
    GG = general

CA.......HIHIHIHIHIHI.......CA
    .......HI
    HIHIHIHIHIHIHI.......
    ..............AA.HI...........
    ..............GG..............
    ............HC..HC............

First thing I do is run the cavalry auxilia in skirmish mode wide around the flanks of the enemy to throw javelins into the backs of their heaviest troops. This usually distracts one or more units on each flank, thinning their main attack. If I am outnumbered and at risk of being flanked I am more aggressive in using them to distract enemy units but generally, in skirmish mode I can count on them to do their business without much micro-management. It is also great having them out there to catch fleeing troops which they can handle even when they are out of javelins.

The rest is straight forward:
    My infantry I set on guard mode and "fire at will".
    My heavy cavalry I keep tucked away behind my lines as to not attract attention.
    Once the enemy is engaged against my front line, the troops in my second line will through javelins over my front lines.
    When most of the enemy is engage I try to flank them with my cavalry.

If the enemy is clumping up thick in one spot (barbarians often charge all their units to the center):
    I swing the infantry on either side of the clump to box them in and shower them with flaming arrows to scare them before a cavalry charge to the rear.

I find I have to be careful with my heavy cavalry. Roman cavalry is not particularly hardy. They do great when they charge but not so head on against infantry. When attacking the engaged enemy from behind I have to be careful of not getting them sandwiched by another wave of advancing enemy troops. I used to keep them in the wings but got tired of having them chased by spearmen, so now I keep them hidden behind my lines until ready to spring them.

I have tried using armies with more heavy cavalry and less infantry and generally I find that leaves me vulnerable to getting flanked.
    I was able to use the extra cavalry in pairs to deal with the flankers: alternating one distracting while the other charged. But it required a lot more micro-management and I seemed to take more casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by LegioFornicatio View Post

2 My heavy cavalry I keep tucked away behind my lines as to not attract attention
    Does that really work, can you 'hide' units from the AI?

All hail Senator Triariafrom yours truly

Senator Marcus Metella Triaria/Patrician by Blood/Apprentice of Senator Clavdivs Optimvs Decimvs
    Leader of the Praetorian Cohort

Leader of PraetorianCohort
    Senator

I normally use this when playing online.

E=enemy
    Inf=inf
    C=cav
    G=gen
    A=archers

EEEEEEEE

AAAA
    InfInfInfInf
    CCC G CCC
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

in RTR............

With Parthia...
    full stack, all cavalry
    up to 10 HA
    up to 2 PC
    up to 3 generals
    up to 5 cataphracts
    As the Parthian infantry are horrid beyond words. I go all horse, with a mixture of cataphracts and generals preffered as the 'iron fist'.

With Greek Cities...
    the army of Pyrauss
    up to two archers (perferable Cretans)
    up to five Athenians
    up to two Epirotes
    up to 3 peltasts
    up to 2 Spartans
    up to 2 cav (any cav light or heavy)
    up to 2 generals (One normally used)
    up to 3 hoplites
    My tactics with the Greeks are more straightfoward than Parthia. I blitz, counting on the skills of my Spartans and Athenians to carry the day.

With the Gauls...
    mostly heavy infantry and foresters, but I sometimes use skirimshers and the noble cav. No more than one general, who Usually keep away from the fighting.

With the Samaritains...
    the men of the steppes
    I mostly use similar formations as the Parthians, but with some supplemental infantry for sieges (usually archers).

I'll post my BI, RoP and Roma Surrectum formations later.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Surround them with a large circle of horse archers (no cantabarian circle because it increases friendly fire. and just slaughter them in a perpetual rain of missiles.

20 units Scythian Horse Archers(Armored)

My favourite formation for Scythia is 6 units of Noble Horse Archers and 6 units of Maidens. All are upgraded with weapons, HA have experience.
    The formation is a double line with HA first in loose formation and two groups of Maidens behind to sweep the flanks. Works well against most armies.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Mine is the very simple alexander-style formation: one single long line of legionaries/hoplites, with 2-4 of them stay on the rear, and 4 heavy cavalry units (or whatever that can do effective charge). March the long line forward, push all but the rear units to force every enemy units into melee engagement, and then flank them by cavalry charging. Casuality is very low - usually cavalry only (especially light lancers....)

I don't use phalanx though - they're powerful but require careful control to avoid being flanked, too complex for me

However, a battle is supposed to be won before it starts, so the formations don't matter that much
    ________
    MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 05:52 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

A interesting formation (and quite useful) that I found for Seleucids: P=phalanx, Sl=silver shield legionaries, Ch=chariots, C=cataphracts, E=elephants, A=archers

CH E C SlIIIIISl C E CH
    AA