Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own formations

Default Re: Your own formations

Early Legion - I usually keep my Triarii on one flank, and my cavalry on the other. I also usually keep my Velites behind my hastati when fighting anyone but rebels.

..................HHHHH(X5)
    TTT(x3).........VVVV(x4)
    ......................G.............
    ...................PPPPPP(5)
    .................................................EE(x2)

Late Legion - I try to hold one flank with my Aux Spearmen, and attack the other flank with cavalry and Legionary Cohorts.

SSS(x3)..CCCCCCCCC(x9)1C(X1)
    ...............G.........
    .......A..A....A....A(x4)
    ...............................CC(x2)

Not sure if theis have been posted before, but I have one that I like.

Macedon:
    Key: / l \ = spearmen in different directions
    A = archers, Cretan if you can get them
    G = General
    C = Cavalry
    O = Onagers
    .........llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    CCC..\AAAAAOOAAAAAAOOAAAA/....CCC
    CCC.\AAAAAOOAAAAAAOOAAAAA/...CCC
    .....\ AAAAAAAGGGGAAAAAAAAAA/
    ....\llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll/
    Something like that. It's impenatreble to cavalry charges, it can bombard faraway enemies with onager fire, and to midrange enemies your archers pepper them with arrows. I've experimented with it in custom battle, and actually it was only broken once on Hard difficulty when like 7 Urban Cohorts suicide rushed one unit of spearmen. When I sent reinforcements, cavalry went in and killed all my archers. I won the battle still, but the formation was broken.

EDIT: Crappy forum. It wrecked my format. Assume that the lines form a rough trapezoid.
    EDIT: nevermind! fixed it!
    Last edited by Varius Makanii; October 21, 2006 at 05:24 PM.

Germania, Darthmod 8.1:

..SSSSSSSSSS.. (10 spear warbands)
    I.......AAA........I (2 gothic infantry, 3 chosen archer warbands)
    XC......G........CX (2 heavy infantry, 2 gothic cavalry, 1 general)

Mostly uses this formation in defence and let the enemy charge my spears. Then my heavy infantry and cavalry goes around the spear line and take out their archers or attack the enemy infantry from behind.

A couple tips on formations, and some new ideas for people to try who seem to think too much inside the box:

-Always deploy your missile troops on the wings (unless the enemy has alot of cavalry). When the enemy reaches your lines, try to swing around the enemy and fire into their rear. First of all, missiles are largely ineffective from the front, but from the sides and rear they are devastating. Protect your missile units with cavalry. I have taken down extremely large armies even though I only had a very small number of infantry, by using this tactic. I arranged my army in a half-ring, and hell rained down into the enemy from a ton of slingers and velites/illyrians.

-Deploy your light infantry on the wings. Spread your heavy infantry lines thinner for more coverage, and use your light infantry (in addition to your ranged units) to flank the enemy, get all the way around, and try and rout them.

-Don't ever stack lines of infantry... the 'three lines' are a waste, better to throw all your troops into the fray at once. If I'm on defence, I will keep a unit of spearmen or two in reserve (in addition to on my wings) to address any holes in the line or if any areas are in danger.

-Effective use of cavalry: As Rome, especially playing a mod like RTR, is to have them but not use them. It is much better to absorb minor losses to your infantry than use your cavalry... use them primarily for chasing down routing enemies and skirmishers, and for combating enemy cavalry. Only use them against infantry in very rare circumstances where your entire army is at stake and the loss of your cavalry units will save the rest of your army.

-If there is a very tough, heavy, enemy unit, it can be worthwhile to engage them with cheap, easily replacable troops, to wear them down, before sending in your own heavy units. As long as your cheap troops aren't surrounded, and are above 40% strength about (meaning if a 120 troop warband is down to 50 troops, get them back), they won't rout... also, try to keep your general near.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Germanic tactic

Cavalry out front. To harrass the enemy. Get them to run around. Kill any easy targets. Lure enemy units towards infantry.

Meanwhile infantry up high and stands still. Archers out front to fire on enemy. Retreats behind spears if enemy approaches. Beserkers and Peasants in reserve for morale impacts (intimidation and numbers respectively).
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

IXlegion's Avatar Foederatus

well my formation are pretty simple line up all legionaires then cavalry units behind each cohort to give the final charge to break the barbarian. sad to say this dosnt work against phalanx

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Ouch... i can only imagine the morale effects...

Does anyone have some really good hopilite formations? I never see ones other than the already mentioned circle/box tactic. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any.

For me, I end up placing a large line of 10-11 armored hopilites in a line and then placing 2-3 heavy peltasts and 3-4 archers behind. All available space after that is cavalry to protect the flanks. Works very well, but isn't useful for attacking.

000p aa p000
    p p EDIT:nvm it messed it up
    Last edited by Paul d; November 06, 2006 at 09:09 PM.

Kallikratis's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d
    Ouch... i can only imagine the morale effects...

Does anyone have some really good hopilite formations? I never see ones other than the already mentioned circle/box tactic. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any.

For me, I end up placing a large line of 10-11 armored hopilites in a line and then placing 2-3 heavy peltasts and 3-4 archers behind. All available space after that is cavalry to protect the flanks. Works very well, but isn't useful for attacking.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

no matter what type of hoplites i might have.
    They are almost unbeatable and since AI tends to hit your center, you can circle them easily, but you need a couple of strong units to defend your center.

I can win battles with Carthage online...I have before. But I just randomise my strategy and go along with what my enemy does. Can anyone tell me some good formations for using Carthage on vanilla for online? I usually use spanish mercenaries, some eles (armored), several units of sacred band cav. and the rest is sacred band infantry.

P.S.-If there is already posts on this please direct me to them sry..thx

Here's my usual
    I=Sacred band infantry
    C=Sacred band cavalry
    E=Eles
    S=Spanish mercenaries

CCEE SSIIIIIIISS EECC

Feel free to use different units if it's what u use instead.
    Last edited by Emcman333; November 26, 2006 at 10:20 PM.

I know that conventional wisdom says not to split your troops, because in real life you'd simply get half your army over-run, then the other half, but the game mechanics make it viable against the AI.

The aim is a loose hybrid of the hammer-and-anvil and the V or crescent, which can be accomplished by being very careful about advancing both lines at the proper times. A general initial set up will look something like this:

(GROUP 1)-----------------------------(GROUP 2)
    GG EE EE AAAAA-----------------------VVVVV VVVVV E/G
    GG EE EE AAAAA-------------------------AAAAAAAA E/G
    ------(*)IIII-IIII------------------------IIIII IIIII IIIII IIII(*)
    ----------------------------------------IIIII IIIII IIIII

GG=General's Cav unit
    GG

EE=Equites/Cav unit
    EE

E/G = Equites, but preferably a secondary general unit
    E/G

AAAAA = Archer unit
    VVVVV = Velites/Javeline unit
    IIIII=Infantry unit (Hastati in front, Principes, Triarii behind, depending on the makeup of the army)

Group 1 on the left is the cavalry-heavy hammer and Group 2 on the right the infantry-heavy anvil.

Group 1 is slightly heavier on archers. The purpose for this is that as Group 1 "wheels" to flank the enemy directly from behind they get clean cross-shots on the main enemy's rear infantry. It is also because the computer will almost certainly break off units to assault Group 1. A large mass of archers can thin out the charge a bit before they hit my own cavalry. These break-away units need to be routed ASAP to keep the hammer moving. Fortunately, they will almost always be outnumbered by your troops because the main enemy force will be engaged with Group 2. Group 1 also has the two strongest infantry units. They need to be able to charge alone into melee with the enemy break-aways and hold them until the cavalry can rout them with a flank. Eventually the cavalry will complete the sandwich with Group 2 and smash the enemy's main infantry group from the rear.

Group 2 consists of skirmishers, some archers, the main infantry force, and an accompanying cavalry unit. Their job is to draw the majority of the enemy's forces into the battle area and pin them down for the cavarly hammer from Group 1. This is initiated by the Velites skirmishing along the front to draw them in, followed by archers hitting the enemy's second rank as they close, and then charging the first line of infantry as the archers withdraw behind the lines to fire at the very rear of the enemy (they finally stop completely when the sandwich is completed to limit friendly fire casualties). The second line of infantry will either fill for failing units, or may need to spread out to cover flank attempts. The Group 2 cavalry unit begins flanking the outer-most enemy units engaged with the infantry, easing pressure on the line until the cavalry from Group 1 can swing fully behind the enemy.

The total effect is to sandwich the enemy between your two lines. The enemy gets confused and starts sending individual units all over the field to engage your own, without regard to protecting those units. You can then run them down from behind and rout them with ease with any of your cavalry units.

You will want the units in Group 2 to be hi-morale, veteran units (though your actual strongest base units should probably be in Group 1). Being separate from the general in the early part of the battle, their routing will lose you the battle. It's best if the Group 2 cavalry is a secondary general, but I realize it's not always (not even often) possible.

In my experience the split army works better than the conventional cavalry "wrap around." When your army is grouped together, a systematic weakness on one side can result in the line simply turning like the spoke of a wheel. I found that against large enemies that strung out the front line, the center of my line would tend to break apart before my cavalry finished flanking and routing the outer units, resulting in very bad things. This problem is handled pretty well by a sandwich--as long as you are careful and diligent about moving Group 1 into position with speed but without drawing off too many of the enemy's stronger infantry units to slow you down. You'll also need to watch to make sure your Group 2 units are not being flanked by the enemy's outer-most units.

Variations on this strategy work for many different occaisions. When assaulting a city in can be achieved rather easily by attacking from opposite sides of the city as long as the enemy stays behind its walls. At the very least the enemy will split the defenders to cover both gates (at least minimally), reducing the amount of fighting you'll have to do to take the gates and allowing you to better employ tactics rather than a massive melee push.

It also works decently as desperation. Simply having one strong cavalry unit and perhaps an accompanying infantry unit split off, you can egage along the front with the bigger part of your infantry and then charge your cavalry and infantry unit at the enemy's general hoping to take him out before your entire force gets slaughtered.

As a final note, the infantry units with the (*) denote something I took from Julius Caesar in the battle of Pharsalus (sp?)--their purpose is to assist the cavalry if they are in danger of being flanked by the enemy. On VH the enemy tends to devote more energy towards attacking your cavalry, and because they are an important part of the strategy they need to be protected. When needed, however, they can peel off and join the main battle from the sides or rear of the enemy lines.

I can't say that this is even close to a good strategy nor is it, I presume, definitely the best vs. the computer, but it works well for me even on VH. It is at the very least sufficient, when executed properly, to "win" the campaign game with the Julii or Brutii on the highest battle difficulty.

I like this and I haven't lost to the AI yet with it. I haven't had the chance to try it with people yet.

---------P-P------O-O
    C-C----P---P
    ----------A-------G
    ----------A
    ----------A
    ----------A
    ----------A
    ----------A

The archers stack a lot closer than they appear in this, and I usually have more of them. I turn them on flaming, gaurd postition, and fire at will and most units never make it to me. Of course I use the Cavalry and General to gaurd the flanks, though the AI doesn't seem bright enough to flank. I imagine a human competitor would steam roll this. The Onagers are out to the right because I got sick of them destroying my own troops. The generals heavy cav helps protect them.

The Infantry and Archer Column is also good for marching down city streets in narrow formation. By that time the Onagers are spent and their troops provide rear guard to the column.

In field battle a mix it up a very little form this formation to broaden the front line, but again my point isn't to get to melee, it's to prevent it

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Sorry, was thinking of M2TW instead of RTW
    Last edited by Eric; December 18, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

I saw here some interesting formations and some less. As the matter fact it is more important question who are you preparing formation for. I played (and still am playing) as Urbis Graecorum on VH/VH (RTR of course), which, we all know, "prefer" phalangites. And in my campaign against Seleucides kai Ptolemaics I had ~90% success. Against Illyrians I had to change some things, like introducing mor offensive tactics which was not so convenient for my 60-80% phalanx armies. They would rush into my archers, peltasts etc with their illyrian hoplites. They are something like Hypaspistes without missiles. Anyway, I managed them not so hardly. But, when Gauls attacked me, I had to change my deployment and troops engaged. Especially, Carthagos. They are mother of all mothers. They have unspendable account of troops and tactics. Firstly, I managed to resist their assault being happy in advance for I didn't have to break my alliances with Germans (because they attacked me first). But, very soon I experienced their variety of everything from different mixtures of troops to different tactics of assault and defence. So, I had to introduce completely new mixture of troop of my own and approach to a battle matter. I couldn't manage to produce/retrain as much thureoi/numidians/peltasts as I needed for successfull resistance...
    What is the point of this? I would like you to say and describe what kind of tactics and troops you used against different types of foes? I have experienced battles vs many of them (except Parthia and Sarmatia) and I had to change formation of units almost all the time.
    I wish if you could accept my suggestion.
    Thank you all.
    Strategos Stefanos

Now, after my critics I would like to present my tactics against the worst foe of mine - Carthago. This functions in most occassions, because Carthago "insists" on their javelines and they are very lethal for my hoplites (believe me) so I have them here just in case. Actually, it is much better to deploy persian spearmen for their defence is 27 basically (against hoplite's 30-35) and they are much faster than hoplites. And cheaper. But, they should not be left without cavalry support because, though they have very good impact, later they are pretty eager to rout easily. By the way, do not use machimoi spearmen for they are little more than a dust. It is an illusion that they have an advantage in a desert fight (try in a custom battle if you don't believe).

1. line - Jv Jv Jv MAr MAr MAr
    2. line - Jv Jv Jv MAr MAr LCv LCv
    3. line - HpHpHpHp HCv HCv* HCv

Jv - Javelinmen
    Hp - Hoplites
    MAr - Machimoi archers
    HCv - Heavy cavalry (Lybian and Thessalian)
    HCv* - possible general's Hetairoi
    LCv - Light cavalry (Numidians and Prodromoi)

Heavy cavalry keeps archers in case they are attacked and light is helping fromo the flank. If archers survive first contact then HCv should pursue enemie's cavalry and other light troops that are separated from the enemie's main body. Lights are just support. Also, cavalry should be used as a main punch force at critical points. I never take care about cavalrie's casualties (except General's Hetairoi of course) because I produce/retrain enough cavalry. Their charge is their best weapon and in that way you achieve superiority on the battlefield if you manage with it better than your opponent.
    Elephos are not a real threat because they are easilly anihillated by javes and archers (flamed arrows). So, only thing that you care are Carthago's javes and cavalry. If you do it well you are a winner.

Another thing, I have some special deployments. One of them is so-called (I called it so) halfmoon-slided phalanx line. It is very effective if you have impenetrable phalanx's centre. It is used when the enemy has more melee infantry than you, so that you must protect your support units that are behind. One of priorities is to take higher ground and that should be a local extremum hill. But, this I must draw. So, next time I will demonstrate it here by a diagram.

Next, I have formation like this (used against pre-Marius Romans, the worst foe EVER):

HpHpHpHp CrAr CrAr RhSl
    SmSp ItSw ItSp ItSp ItSp AsE
    SmSp ItSw HCv* HCv HCv
    SmSp ItSw

It - italian
    Sw - swordmen
    Sp - spearmen
    Sm - samnite
    HCv - heavy cavalry (italian)
    HCv* - Pyrrhus
    CrAr - Cretan Archers
    RhSl - Rhodean slingers
    AsE - asiatic elephants

This formation I used in all my decesive battles vs Romans and I won always. They were really tough and I had to use AsE very very very carefully not to be left without them (finally instead of 12 I had 10). Most important was right movement of my left wing. Good timing is all you must have. ItSw are softening the enemy, I used them instead of javs and samnites blocked way, so that ItSw could outflank and charge. Samnites were my insurance vs roman cavalry. CrAr did their job perfectly. And I was lucky that they hadn't any far ranged missile troop, except slingers once. I broke them by my cavalry by the very beggining (sudden attack).

Elephant factions are dealt by javs, but fire-at-will set off. I use them only when elephos approach. If they outflank then I send them on elephos supported by archers (flamed) from behind.

I avoid double lined infantry because I shorten my front so I am easier to be outflanked. Double line is not of much help except your foe is attacking so, or if you have really strong first line. Second line must consist of faster infantry in order to react properly...

This formations I quoted in my previous reply describe my fighters standing in the beginning of the battle. I unfold them later according to my opposing side's movements. Actually it finally turns into a race because AI (single player campaign) also reacts on my movements. Of course PAUSES are essential here to react properly (on time) and to minimize my losses at the end.

Strategos Stefanos

megaflus's Avatar Semisalis

romans
    one unit
    hhhh=hastati
    pppp=principes
    cccc=cavalery
    aaaa=archers
    qqqq=peltast
    tttt=triarii
    gggg=general
    -----------------------------hhhh----------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------hhhh-----hhhh---------------------------------------
    ---------tttt-pppp-pppp-----pppp-----pppp-pppp-tttt------------------------------
    -----------------------------aaaa----------------------------------------------------
    -------------qqqq--------------------------qqqq-----------------------------------
    -----cccc-------------------gggg--------------------cccc----------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------cccc----pppp----pppp----cccc----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kinda like hanniball wenn he attacked the romans
    I just let them attack and because I have weaker units in the middle they will move back and the heavy units at the sides will move forward and then suround them and the cavalery will take out any unit that slipped out and there often is like two three units ouside and I have some spare units if the main asoult diny work then they can help the others out so they have better odds of surviving and I say surviving because if it doesent work then I mostly lose but it doesn't happen very often.
    Last edited by megaflus; January 06, 2007 at 05:59 AM.

Egyptian Formation:

A=Pharoah's Bowmen
    G=Pharoah's Guards
    C=Chariots
    N=Nile Cavalry

CCNN GGGGG NNCC
    AAAAAA

Works with 20000 budget, only fully upgrade your pharoah's guards if in multiplayer, Cavalry and Chariots destroy enemy cavalry while archers hold off enemy infantry. Then flank with Cavalry and Chariots.

My refined anti-seleucid formation for Parthia playing the Extended Greek Mod (yes, I know that's strange): The Ferre-De-Lance

G=General
    P=Persian cavalry
    C=Cataphracts
    H=Horse Archers
    .........................................H
    .........................................H
    .........................................P
    h
    e
    r
    e

b
    e
    .....................................P
    t .....................................H
    h .....................................H
    e

p
    h
    a
    l
    a
    n
    g ....................................P
    i ....................................H
    t ....................................H
    e
    s

...................................... G
    ...................................C

Advantages Overview: The formation is all cavalry, meaning they can get around on the strategic map quite a bit to cause all manner of trouble. They are also primarily missile cavalry, meaning that against the infantry-heavy Seleucids, the worst thing that can happen to them is running out of ammo. Even shooting into their shields, they should have better than a 1:1 kill ratio by the time their quivers run dry. The general calls the retreat, and the Ferre-De-Lance lives to fight another day with minimal casualties (not so the Seleucids!).

If things go well though, the elements of the Seleucid formation will chase down the chunks of the Ferre-De-Lance formation, seperating themselves and opening them up to back shots and cataphract charges. When the archers to run out of ammo, they can attack the flanks and real to the demoralized, exhausted seleucids with the Persian Cavalry "baby sitters" in the lead of each group of horse archers.

If the enemy is truly numerous, the General may be used as bait to get the enemy to expose their flanks to arrow shafts as well. Used carefully, the Ferre-De-Lance can defeat typical Seleucid formations five times as expensive, meaning that those pesky Alexander-wannabes can be forced into economic ruin.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Roman Tactics 101- the basics

A brief history- As most of you will know, Roman tactics evolved from Greek origins, the Romans originally fielding spearmen/phalanx formations much like used in the Greek style armies you fight against in RTR.
    Due to fighting over many long years tribal type armies ( Samnites, Marsi, and various Northern Italian peninsula Gallic type raider armies), and facing opponents that did not operate merely on wide plains (traditionally the place of choosing for phalanx type battles) but in the mountainous middle regions of central Italy, the Romans found that the phalanx style deployment was not versatile enough to deal with particular and complex tactical realities of the Roman peninsula. (Check out Professor Garett Fagan's great audio series for more info on Roman army development)

Developing into the 'Manipular' formation arranged in three lines (Hastati in front, Principes behind, Triarii in the third line), this system eventually became 'Cohort' based (equaling about a unit of 480 men) and then your Marian style standard Legionary due to, again, tactical advantages in manouverability available with the larger numbers of troops and changes once more in Roman tactics.

By the era of Cannae in 216BC (that vainglorious Roman defeat against Hannibal) the Roman army had been designed primarily for (and excelled in) slug-fest close quarter combat fighting, which, tactically speaking, was to attack the enemy center and drive right through it . Which is what the Roman force under the command of L.Aemilius Paullus and C.Terrentius Varro on that clear day with about 79,000 men(including cav and auxilliaries) attempted to do, and Hannibal(total, including Horse, 50,000) read perfectly by maintaining a soft center line that gradually absorbed the Roman forward push, while his flanking troops stationed on each wing double-enveloped the Roman 'block' until it became a totally immobile force, trying to fight its way out.( http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/cannae-battle.html )Which was when Hannibal's cavalry force returned after chasing off the Roman cav contingent and sealed the fate of most of that 63,000 Roman foot. And lets dont forget that he had about 30,000 less men available. Quite a feat.

So, my advice to you is- don't do that with your troops. And watch your flanks. Yes, your avergae Roman troops are great in straight-ahead hand to hand, but they can do much much more for you, and are ready and willing, if used well by you, to do almost anything, and sometimes even the impossible. If you read stories of Roman battles, the really great ones, of say Caesar and C. Scipio Africanus' calibre (of course, there are other great Roman commanders- go find them! http://www.roman-empire.net/index.html ), you will see the tactical flexibility of your Roman troops used to their greatest potential.

Lets start with the basics, shall we? The word for today is, flank, flank, and more flank. Even on the modern battlefield, no-one likes to know that the enemy is around behind you, or approaching you from the side when you are already committed in a frontal attack. Your Roman troops, both pre and post-Marius',are excellent for this manoeuver. They respond quickly to commands, have their own limited missiles, will fight alone if need be for quite some time and are ready to fight it out hand to hand for as long as you like, provided they know they are safe themselves and not abandoned.

This is a key point.

Its all about teamwork, my fellow Roman commanders. A phalanx works because each unit works together in unison as one large body: it stands there, or moves forward together as one body, and protects itself by staying together. Not so with your Roman troops- they are fine by themselves if they know that the rest of the 'team' is working toward the same goal. The greatest commanders didn't just bore straight ahead- these Generals used their heads and troops to envelop and 'roll up' the enemy number by hitting one or both flanks, often assisted by this with their small contingent of cavalry.

I am sure you know 'hammer and anvil', where your main line engages, and another force flanks to one side to fall on your enemy's rear. Whether your troops are pre or post-Marian units, they will do this for you successfully time and time again if you use one thing:timing.

I will give you an example. Taking a stack or near-stack Roman pre-Marian army, I generally split my army into groups: a main line , with a reserve line behind, and one of two flanking groups which are arranged either side of this main line, or behind . ( I am going to assume that you have maybe two/three units of missile troops,either slightly in front your main line, or defended just behind it ). Lets use your pre-Marian army as an example against your average not so friendly Macedonian phalanx.

Your goal is for him to break that solid phalanx formation- if you march straight into it, its going to get ugly, and you will get a lot of your brave legionaries killed. Don't do that. That phalanx is not as flexible as you- so use that to your advantage. In this situation, I have taken troops from my second line and formed a flanking force to threaten his General and left flank. At this point, I have no intention of attacking him there, I just want to confuse the enemy general ( or the AI- whatever you want to call it) and get him to commit troops to reinforce against my 'supposed' attack. At the same time, I bring up my Triarii to defend the flankers rear and strengthen my main line's right, just in case he decides to commit to a full out confrontation there.

So far so good?

Now, to really mess him up, I take two cohorts from my main line to go threaten his right, and move up the reserve for that flank into the vacant main line positions.

I have no intention whatsoever of charging my main line into that wall of spears (are you crazy?), but by leaving my main line there, it locks his phalanx front in place for me ( Scipio's fixing /refusing technique an Iipa), as they perceive the possibility that I might just do that very thing. So, my troops are now totally rearranged, but it was nice and neat- as it would have been back in the good old days...

Yes, you guessed it, my main attack is going to be that enemy right flank attack, so now I swing my cavalry back behind my force and slowly walk them over to support those two cohorts (no rush, right?).

At the same time, those two units go a little little bit too far away from the main phalanx line, presenting to the enemy just a little of their flank and rear. Why? you ask. I am selling a trap to the enemy's reserve line, and I want them to break away from the main line and attempt to fall on my two cohorts. Which he does, so my two flankers stop, about face and hold ground against him while I break off two of my main line cohorts (not needed as I am totally threatening the enemy left still and he hasnt moved) and attack his reserve force in the rear.

This presents my Macedonian General with a dilemma. He and his troops are standing there while my troops are decimating his reserve force- what should he do? Stand still, or break right and support them before they rout?

His troops can't stand it, so he sends more of his reserve, who all get decimated and rout , then two of his main line phalanx break off and go to support, as I send the signal to my flanker force on the other side to threaten the enemy general with pila. End result? His reserve completely force routs and leaves the field, my men who are now free there then charge the enemy rear. His main line breaks apart in confusion. And I haven't even committed my main line yet, and have incurred maybe about 3-6 casualties

My troops now swarm like very angry bees and first pick off all the stranded units, including the General who is totally isolated now. His remaining phalanx troops are whirling around now in wave formation, presenting lovely disorganized masses for me to charge into and start slashing away at. The rest is just mopping up and lots of fun....

So, there you have a pretty easy flanking attack. The key words today were, flank, timing and teamwork. My rules are- it shouldnt look messy, as the Romans certainly weren't messy on the battlefield until it got to hand to hand time. Having fun emulating your favourite Generals gives it more of a 'realism' feel too. Next time, I will show you a great battle formation I use call the 'Scipio'.

Vale!

Marcus Cornelius Marcellus
    Last edited by MCM; February 12, 2007 at 02:20 AM.

My Greek Formation (On 1 vs 1 Battles)

S - Spartan
    A - Armoured Hoplites
    H - Hoplites
    B - Bowmen/Peltasts
    G - General
    C - Cavalry

Starting Formation

.....SS AA HHHHH AA SS.........CGC
    ..............B B B B

- The hoplite line is spread 4 ranks deep
    - The Bowmen/Peltasts are 2 ranks deep in loose formation
    - Cavalry is at right flank with any cavalry type

My army just goes forward while watching the right flank. When the cavalry on the enemy left suddenly moves, my cavalry will suddenly attack them. Then, my ranged units rush into the main line of the enemy and barrage the infantry line.

Heat of the Battle

....................-----------------CGC
    ....................|
    ....................V
    .....S XXXXXXXX S
    ........A XXXXXX A
    ...B A A B
    ......B HHHHH B

My hoplite army will move in the line first, then i put my armoured and spartans on the flanks and send my bowmen behind them and attack the middle area of the enemy line, then bam! I send in my cavalry behind the line. I just repeated the battle of Hannibal in someplace someplace in the 2nd punic war with a little change.
    Last edited by Saiah; February 16, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
    Tricky Defender