Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own formations

Default Phalanx

I don't like to use phalanx armies very much but here is a pretty effective one.

__________HHH_______HHHH
    C_______H______IIII_______H______________________________CC
    ____________A___G___A_A____________C

H=hoplite
    I=Infantry (ussually mercs)
    A=archers
    C=cavalry
    G=general

Basically the AI will ussually assault the right phalanx formation (i like to put heavier units there like spartans :wink: ), or if they have enough infantry both. You can wheel the left hoplites around if they only attack one or fill the gaps with your standard infantry. Cavalry is used for elimnating enemy cav or hitting the back sides. The AI will often move spearmen towrds the cav, which will lighten the load on you infantry. The farther out your wing is, the more room you have to out-manuever any spearmen. This also works good for attacking as well.

Obviously depends on the men I have.

_____H_H_H_H____
    _C___S_A_A_S___C
    _____P_P_P_P____
    ________G_______

H - Hastati
    C - Cavalry
    S - Skirmishers
    A - Archers
    P - Principes
    G - General

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by severdhope
    I don't like to use phalanx armies very much but here is a pretty effective one.

__________HHH_______HHHH
    C_______H______IIII_______H______________________________CC
    ____________A___G___A_A____________C

H=hoplite
    I=Infantry (ussually mercs)
    A=archers
    C=cavalry
    G=general

Basically the AI will ussually assault the right phalanx formation (i like to put heavier units there like spartans :wink: ), or if they have enough infantry both. You can wheel the left hoplites around if they only attack one or fill the gaps with your standard infantry. Cavalry is used for elimnating enemy cav or hitting the back sides. The AI will often move spearmen towrds the cav, which will lighten the load on you infantry. The farther out your wing is, the more room you have to out-manuever any spearmen. This also works good for attacking as well.
    I have also used this type of foramtion, although mostly i will start with an evenly spread out formation and only when the enemy advances on my right wing do i change into this formation except the general, who is place behind the right wing.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

Vs. Phalanxes

\........__....../
    . \.............. /
    .. \ ............/
    ...... Cav

The lines are all infantry, the middle straight line can be skirmishers, its just bait. Draw the phalanxes into the middle of the trap, and if the rain of javelins from all the inf. doesn't break their spirits, charge them from all sides. Then use the cav to chase down any routers

the periods are just placeholders.

Previous Post Deleted, obviously an accidental double-post. No worries.
    -eXc
    Last edited by John I Tzimisces; January 16, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

hmmm...well, depends on, wich faction i'm playin' but here an examples:

If i'm playin' roman (e.g. Brutii) against the greeks, macedons, no reforms:

P = Principes
    H = Hastati
    T = Triarii
    A = Archers
    V = Velites
    C = Cavalry (Equites)
    G = General
    E = Enemy

VV
    HHTTHH

AAPPAA
    CC____CC
    G

That's how it starts, the AI will usually put their center (Hoplites) straight towards you, and move their flanks (also Hoplites, usually not more than one or two units per flank) around your army, to position them towards your flanks, keeping them in phalanx formation from here. Keep your Archers with "fire at will" off and "skirmish mode" off, your Velites standing with "fire at will" and "skirmish mode" off, showering the center, until they chase them. Then pull them back, placing them next to the Hastati, like this:

V__HHTTHH__V

AAPPAA
    CC___CC
    G

The Hoplite-center, now split up in two and still chasin' the Velites will now turn their backs/ flanks towards your Hastati, on wich i as soon as they are in range turn "fire at will" on, let them fire one volley at the Hoplites, and charge towards their backs/ flanks with one more, while the Velites are firing at them. Now the situation shoud - if all goes well - look like this:

EH________HE
    V_EH__TT__HE_V

AAPPAA
    CC___CC
    G

Certanly angered by this counter-attack, the enemy will now send their cavalry against your Hastati. Move yor Triarii up against them, do not charge them, wait, until they are about to charge your Hastati, and then charge them at their flanks, while the Principes cut down the remainin' Hoplite-center, like this:

E______E
    EH__T__T__HE
    V_EH______HE_V
    P_______P
    AAAA
    CC___CC
    G

Now comes the tricky one: the enemy will either move their flanks towards your Principes/ Hastati, or your Cavalry, however, as soon as they move them, have your Archers fire at them all they got, don't have them do anything before that, as you by now would have run out of ammunition. Shoud the enemy's flanks attack your infantry, let them!, Then simply run your cavalry around them, and attack them from behind. If they shoud attack your cavalry, there are two ways to deal with this, No.1: if you infatry stands well and you think, you can afford it, let them come towards your cavalry, and just before they attack, charge your Principes at their flanks, like this (Remember to have your Archers stop firing, as soon as the enemy comes close, or if you attack them, as you would lose to many men through friendly fire):

E______E
    EH__T__T__HE
    V_EH______HE_V

P__AAAA__P
    ECC___CCE
    G

Now, if you're fighting against many Hoplites, or even Armoured Hoplites, you would probably want to keep the Principes, where they are, so No.2: still let the enemy come close to your outer cavalry, while you move your inner two cavalry units around the enemy, and attack them from behind, then move your archers a little far behind your cavalry, and have them fire at them, like this:

E______E
    EH__T__T__HE
    V_EH______HE_V
    P P

CEC___CEC
    G
    AA____AA

If things really get too hectic, let's say your cavalry routs, due to friendly fire, or they can't stand it anymore, use your general as a last reserve, or = as brutal as that may sound, have your Archers "charge" at the enemy.
    That shoud be it, as soon as the enemy retreat, chase them from the field, and have your general, and your remainin' cavalrymen charge at the enemy's missile units.

that was quite detailed

thx...

My early Seleucid Empire formation for defending my cities. This is very useful because it uses cheap units and you're almost always at war with at least 4 other nations at the beginning

For this strat you need at least 3 units of Militia Hoplites and 1 unit of peasents. Two groups of peasent is useful, but you can ditch the peasents altogether if you have too. Or you can ditch the third unit of Hoplites, as long as you have the peasents. This only works if the enemy has one ram. Anyway...

______________________l l__________________________
    ------------------------M P M------------------------
    --------------------------M------------------------

This is the gate. The Milita Hoplites have formed a square of death, the ones on the side pointing inward with their spears just aligned with the gate. The peasents are standing around in the middle. The enemy walks up, rams the gate and pours in. Your peasents are there to slow down any cavalry charges and basically tie up the enemy. Your hoplites poke at the enemy as they mill about trying to get into the city. They'll rout pretty quickly. Your peasents may rout, no biggy, just use your backup group...or forget them. Nothing can stand against this square. Phalanxes are poked from all sides, and easily thrust back. Infantry rarely can get past all those spears. I have never ever lost a city with this tactic in the early game. The only thing you have to worry about is enemy missile troops chucking stuff at your hoplites' backs. But don't worry, as soon as the gate is open the missile troops pour in and get slaughtered.
    This is a good strat, though it loses its effectiveness later in the game. Of course, the square of death is forever useful in defending towns. Plus you get the awesome sight of hundreds of bodies all piled on top of each other at the gate... not a single Seleucid among them

damn my tactic isnt used!!

this one!!!
    G=enemy
    F=friendly GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

AND THAN HEAD ON ATTACK CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

works for me,lines scatter enemy routs fast(quick devastating chaos )

Here's A post marian formation for the Romans I've been using (SPQR 5.0)

Spears ------------------------------------------------------------------Spears
    Swords- Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort -Swords
    Swords- Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort - Leg Cohort -Swords
    ------------------------------Leg 1st Cohort--------------------------------------

--------------- - Archers - - Archers -- Archers -- Archers -

----------------------------------Geenral

hi here is one of my favourite be the macodeon or somthing like that

H= HOPILITES A-ARCHERS G= GENERAL C= CAVARLY

H
    H H H H
    H A H
    H A A H
    C H G H C
    H H H
    C C C

Default Re: Your own formations

Here is the formation I use in SPQR 6.0; extremely effective against both civilized and barbarian armies (I have crushed Macedonian and Gallic armies outnumbering me by almost 2000 men many times using this formation)

I call it the Flanking Sweep

Key:
    Princeps (one unit=PPP)(roughly 10-12)
    Triarii (one unit=TTT) (3-4)
    Velites(one Unit=VVVVVVVV)(2)
    General(one Unit=GGG)(1)
    Cavarly (one unit=CCC)(2-3)
    Archers (one unit=AAAAAAAA)(1-2)

VVVVVVVV_________VVVVVVVVV
    PPP___PPP___PPP___PPP___PPP
    PPP___PPP___TTT___PPP___PPP
    PPP___TTT______TTT______TTT
    __________________GGG
    _____________AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

________________CCCCCC(deployed in wedge formation and single line)

The objective of this formation is to flank the enemy at as many places as possible. Archers pepper the enemy cavarly or light troops. Front line Units have auto-fire on, and velites are sent to make enemy attack my army or weaken enemy units on the flanks of their army. The first line of princeps fires their pilum and engages enemy. The enemy usually commits more units to the fight in the front than I do (maybe eight to my five). I send my Triarii through the gaps to ward off cavarly assualts. The Triarii unit in the second line is committed to the front line when enemy general cavarly unit engages my front line. At this point of the fighting the enemy has committed most of their troops to break my first line. Princeps units (3 at the most) on the flanks of the reserve lines are sent to forward to flank the enemy infantry. These units fire their pilum and can inflict heavy damage on the enemy flanks. Princeps in the center assist the units in the first line. Cavarly is sent altogether to the weaker enemy flank (usually the enemies right flank) to attack them in the the rear and flank. Usually by this point some of the enemy units of the flanks start to rout, and I begin to roll up their army. For example, Let say I face an army of 4200 with about 2700-3000 troops, I can almost annihalate the enemy for around 200-800 of my own troops. I've had many heroic victories against enemies on Hard battefield difficulty. But be advised on occassion you can still win the battle but lose up to a 1/3 of your army. The formation requires much micromanagement in order to be succesful...you're front line units must hold long enough so you can manuever the flankers into position, and always hit a unit that is demoralized and weak...not only can you rout that unit but you can send the men engaging that unit into the flank of the next unit over.
    Last edited by TVR341; April 19, 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Does any one uses simple formations like the lines, I mean, Heavy Phalanx in the center with lither ones covering the flanks, one each side and missiles behind for protection, with cavalary in wings on both sides or in mass as Macedonians used to do in one side only?

As for Romans, I like putting three triari in front with four velites just behind five hastati in the third line four principes in the last line with cavalary on flanks!

----------HHH
    ---------H A AH
    --------H A A H
    --------H A A H
    ---------H G H
    ----------HHH

H= Hoplites in phalanx
    A= Archers with skirmish disabled
    G= General
    The idea is to set up the hoplites in a crude octagon where they are completly encircled and the only way into the formation is through a bunch of spearpoints. I need at least 8 units of hoplites to complete the Octagon, then I put any archers I have inside the "circle". Unless I am using crappy spearmen. It is a very difficult formation to crack. I haven't tried with Spartans yet, but with them I think it would be to easy. However, This formation is obviously extremly inflexible and almost impossible to form while when the battle starts. It is a good defensive formation though, noone is going to get behind you, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Skiion; April 21, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
    Truth is subjective.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

-------------------------
    ------P L L P P L L P -----
    ---C--- A ca A C------
    ------------G

P=Phalanx
    L=Legionary (Armenian)
    C=Cataphracts
    A=Archers
    ca= Cataphract Archers
    I also send some Horse Archers out front to beat up the enemy before the battle. I use this formation a lot as Armenia with my professional army, and it is quite effective.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

--H-H-H-H-H--
    -H-A-A-A-A-H-
    ------G-------
    EH----EH----EH

H= Hoplites
    A= Archers
    EH= Extra hoplites

The extra hoplites are just when my hoplites rout, but that doesn't really happen.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Heh, been ages since I last posted here.

This formation, if anyone has studied Napoleonic warfare uses defensive squares. I have come up with a variation on this idea.

If you look closely you will notice that that my Hoplitai are three ranks deep, using only 15k denarii, I have given them two bars of experience, the medium weapons and max defence. Inside the square is four units of archers, three bars of experience and max weapons. To the left are two units of cataphracts, maxed out everything.

In my first battle using this formation online, I was up against a member you all love, nF{remix} or something like that. I had only hinted at what I was going to do and as he was playing the Britons, he was surprised at what he saw when he got closer. It took him 20 minutes to actually attack me after observing any possible weaknesses. Only losing a few men, I routed his army in a matter of minutes. However, I did not use cataphracts in this battle.

The second battle I did use the cataphracts, and one unit of General's Bodyguard. His army moved to a vantage point where his archers could fire down on me, but (and I still do not believe how I did it) I used my three cavalry units to take out all his archers, and most of his cavalry.
    He quickly regrouped his army, now with only one unit of lightly armoured elephants. He decided to charge me, same result as the last.

I challenged Menander to a battle last night, he played as the Macedonians, hoping to fight me phalanx on phalanx. I had once again, killed his archers and cavalry, leaving me with only 15 cataphracts. Those 15 cataphracts were enough to rout his Royal Spearmen.

Not long ago, nF and I had another game. He came as the Macedonians, using about four different unit types that could form phalanxes. Archers, cavalry and all. Knowing no better I sent the cataphracts up again, routing his archers and my units too. Time could not be wasted and I stupidly broke my defensive formation and moved up to him, destroyed my army except for the archers and two units of Hoplitai. Knowing that eventually his army would be exhausted, I decided to lead him on a game of cat and mouse with my archers. He eventually admitted defeat.

I have the replays of the first two if anyone would like to see them.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I do the square, but with no extra people behind the first line.
    It has hardly been broken through.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Slimshoom's Avatar Civitate

Hammer and Anvil

P--P--P--P--P----------C-C-C
    P-P
    A-A-A-A
    ---G---

Hold the enemy with the first line of phalanxes, preferrably leaving the second line in reserve. Then use your cavalry (doesnt matter whether heavy or light but heavy preferred) to move around the enemy and smash into the back of their line, ideally causing mass routs. During this whole time, your archer should be firing first at any cavalry the enemy has and then any missile troops
    Under the Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus
    Grandson of the Black Prince

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates's student
    I do the square, but with no extra people behind the first line.
    It has hardly been broken through.
    Here I was thinking I had been original for once. Take that back Socrates's student, or you'll earn a permanent banning from the IRC channel.