MI MI MI MI MI MI MI MI
    MI MI AR AR AR AR AR AR MI MI
    CAV GEN CAV

KEY

MI- Melee Infantry/Pikes
    AR- Archers/skirmishers
    CAV- Cavalry
    GEN- General

The two MI unit at the flanks are slanted to protect not only the flank of the front line, but the center with the missile infantry, and more or less to protect the cavalry until I absolutely need to use them.

#TheTBNR™'s Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Your own formations

CLASSIC NOOB BOX FORMATION!

I don't play vanilla anymore, but here's a few of my formations from XC.

1. staggered infantry formation. Generally used for non-phalanx nations because of flexibility and good protection it offers to skirmishers and slingers (in XC, rhodian/balearic slingers are among most powerful ranged units). Not every "slot" for skirmishers is used, depending on army composition, and spearmen are sometimes added to back row behind heavy infantry at center and flanks where I expect cavalry. Heavy cavalry starts in the rear to charge enemy units trying to envelop the flanks. Ranged cavalry is used to take out enemy cavalry.

HI-heavy infantry
    SS-skirmishers/slingers
    AR-artillery
    SP-spearmen
    HC-heavy cavalry
    RC-ranged cavalry

RC__SP(SS)HI(SS)HI(SS)HI(SS)HI(SS)SP__RC
    _______HI___HI____SP____HI____HI
    __HC_____AR______________AR______HC

This is how it looks when performed by roman legion (click to zoom):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F11.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	276683

2.Phalanx formation. This one relies on merging of phalanx units or hoplites on the flanks with heavy infantry (usually thorakitai) and large cavalry support.
    Main line is composed of two units of hoplites (one on each flank) and three units of phalangites between them, all drawn into four ranks. Then, three or four units of thorakitai are drawn in two or two and half ranks to "envelop" the first line of hoplites/phalangites between them. In front of each unit of hoplites, an unit of slingers is deployed, so it can retreat through their ranks when enemy comes close, then moves to flank the enemy with their fire. Cavalry is deployed again in manner similar to previous formation, but I use more skirmisher cavalry and horse archers if available to keep flanks clear for slingers.

It looks like this:

Name:	F21.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	276685

Zoomed on main line to show the placement of units:

Name:	F22.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	276686

I mostly play Rome because I prefer the legionaries (and they are my favorite historically).

I will almost always deploy in the triple axis formation (complete with spacing between the ranks), even when using legionary cohorts. If I am facing phalanxes then I may form into two columns on the side instead, and try to put pressure on the sides by taking my reserve legionaries (or cohorts) from the center and rear of the formation (the middle of the second and sometimes the entire third line), and leaving a very weakened center.
    I will usually support these movements with my cavalry, keeping them tight with the wings so that they can mutually support the infantry and so attempt to force my opponent to divide up his infantry to face the new threats.
    I find the triple axis formation is very strong from the front, and I almost always win the infantry engagement if my opponent makes the mistake of charging directly forwards.
    Alternatively I may form a half circle with my front ranks of infantry, facing inwards. If my opponent makes the mistake of charging forwards into it, it is quite easy to reinforce the weaker points and win that way. Sometimes it ends up looking like the battle of Cannae towards the end if my cavalry can get around behind the enemy forces.

You need:
    1. phalanx units and archers ratio: 4:1
    2. General(optional - good to have it if you have early game phalanxes with low morale)
    Deploy you units on the corner of the map and make dense quarter sphere with the phalanxes. Put the archers and general behind, disable skirmish mod and watch thousands of enemies dies on your pikes and arrows.

I use it only on single player and it works pretty well when defending, but not so good when the enemy has a lot of onagers or balistas or both. But if the units routs you would't have too much casualties because they are close to the map border and will escape quickly.

{GrailKnight}'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by yoo0o0o View Post
    You need:
    1. phalanx units and archers ratio: 4:1
    2. General(optional - good to have it if you have early game phalanxes with low morale)
    Deploy you units on the corner of the map and make dense quarter sphere with the phalanxes. Put the archers and general behind, disable skirmish mod and watch thousands of enemies dies on your pikes and arrows.

I use it only on single player and it works pretty well when defending, but not so good when the enemy has a lot of onagers or balistas or both. But if the units routs you would't have too much casualties because they are close to the map border and will escape quickly.
    This works well against the A.I. Though people still decide to use this online haha.

Sent from my LG-P768 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Blopwerth III's Avatar Civis

This is my formation which I use when vastly outnumbered in open field battles. I use it while playing factions with Phalanxes. It is very good for holding off hordes of enemies, like, say, 2 full stacks, one reinforcing the other. Key: P-Phalanx/Pikemen, C-Cavalry, G-General, MU-Missile Units.

P_____P_____P
    P MU MU P
    | M G M |
    | U C U |
    P_____P______P

This is based on Alexander the Great's formation at Guagamela. The Persians had around 500,000 men, and ALexander had only about 36,000. Alexander deployed his men in roughly the same pattern, except with an openeing at the rear for calavry to leave for flanking operations. I call this formation Alexander's Schiltrom, like the formation the spear units get in BI.

Selucid Empire in rome 1 vanilla. HUGE UNIT SIZE

Formations against Romans:

Name: "The Royal Battalion" or "Silver Battalion - Only the faction Leader and/or the faction heir can have this stack in the campaign. This battalion is the strongest stack of my selucid empire, and will only have a maximum of 2 stacks (because of the expensive upkeep) 1 for faction leader, 1 for faction heir. This stack is expected to gain experience chevrons battle after battle and is suitable against the scipii and brutii and Julii.

Upkeep Cost: to be calculated

Strengths: Open fields, hills, deserts. Best used during late game against developed romans and or other factions if they survived. Elite units. The huge majority have good morale. Elephants!

Weaknesses: full map forests (slows down cav and elephants), but can manage. Defensively, it is extremely vulnerable to the player not watching the phalanx. If the phalanx breaks, it is game over, there are no reserves other than the legions. The legions can hold out, but they will suffer heavy losses, and it takes the highest barracks to retrain them.

Offensively, if you lose your cavalry it is game over

Do not use this stack against barbarians, regular phalanx and archers and greek cav is sufficient. Remember this is the royal army, meant to fight well developed nations, use sparingly.

Gameplay Style: This formation is designed to have the player have fun with cavalry. The front cavalry (greek or militia and companions) are used offensively against missiles and cavalry respectively. And are also used for hammers. The cataphracts are used as defensive or flanking, or anti-armor units.

You will notice the legions are placed in between the pikes and cataphracts. The farther back units behind the backs are always supporting the units in front of it.

Light cavalry is always on the left, and heavy cavalry is on the right.

The legions, flexible in its own right, double as skirmishers and flank protectors.

The Cataphracts protect the legions. If they fail to break the enemy you bring the elephants if you are desperate.

If this army reaches many chevrons later on, it is unstoppable. Missile units are limited to the armored elephant and the left wing cavalry if you brought militia cav instead of greek.

The phalanx's will always retain their initial unit width and length.

Use alt + right click to move them while still facing the same way when they stop marching.

Defensive formation:

[Gc] [Gc] - - - - - - -[SSP] [SSP] [SSP] [SSP] [SSP] [SSP]- - - - - - - [Cc] [Cc]

-----------------[SSL] [SSL] -----------[G]------------[SSL] [SSL]

[C] [C]- ------------------------------------------------------------------[C] [C]

-------------------------------------------[AE]

Offensive Formation:

------[Gc][Gc]-------[C][C]-----------------------------[C][C]--------------[Cc][Cc]
    -
    -----------------------------[SSL][SSL]-----[SSL][SSL]
    -
    ---------------------[SSP][SSP][SSP]--------[SSP][SSP][SSP]
    ------------------------------------------[AE]---------------
    -------------------------------------------[G]

Info:
    - Basically the gap between the legions and the pikes is for the elephants to run through, the elephants are behind first to avoid archer flame missiles. The Armored elephant will break the center, and then the legions will push through and roll out to the sides. The Pikes will then close ranks enemy's lines and the cavalry will hammer and anvil with the pikes as the anvil. The cataphracts will protect the legions and hammer and anvil with the legions as the anvil.

Light cav will take out skirmisher's and archers and bait heavy cav to the cataphracts, or companions.

Against scythia I have no formation, mass chariots + Peasants for garrison is enough to auto resolve all battles.

--------------

Romans:

Now playing as any roman faction, Post-marian reforms I use this formation all the time. It is an extremely versatile formation.

10 Early Legionaries, 3 Auxilia, 3 archer auxilia, 3 roman cav, and 1 general

Starting formation (defending)

Name: "Early-Legionary Battalion". Used during the julii/scipii/brutii campaigns post-marians. The entire army is retrainable with a 1st tier cav, and 3rd tier barracks, and 2nd tier archers. It is a mid game army, extremely versatile.

Upkeep cost for 100% full stack = 3480 denarii. <-- easily payable by scipii and brutii, but as the julii you must have the spanish provinces and segestica, and the settlement near appolonia, and caralis, massilia, narbo martius as well. I always go for spain first, then hit the marian reforms then push north into gaul, germania and dacia last.

Strengths: Versatility, Good mix of units, does not rely on elites for high upkeeps. Affordable, retrainable. Perfect against AI, straight line.

Weaknesses: Player Not watching either wings. War dog spam. (if this happens you have to use 1 cavalry unit and sacrifice it by baiting the wardogs and then withdrawing from the battle to get rid of the dogs for minimal casualties.

Game play style: The Center is designed to be idle while the enemy approaches. The front legions with pila on, and archers bombarding the enemy. Goal is to break the center then roll to the sides. Because the enemy is attacking, and the center usually has the enemy general behind the line, there is a 2nd legion cohort behind the front archer, located behind the front cohort.

There are also cohorts on the far rear that will block the gaps made between the wings. The triangular shape of the center will make the enemy vulnerable to a hammer attack by cavalry.

The cohorts are positioned in a 4 man width, and 40 man length, per unit. The archers are 5 width, and 32 length. The auxilia start out as 8 width and 20 length. And cavalry can be any shape you want. (I just use the hot keys to make the widths look like that by tapping the key for approximation)

The auxilary spearmen are in block shapes for maneuverability. The legions behind them are blocks as well for the manipular use.

The left wing or center, can be used to flank the enemy engaged with the other.

Left Wing: Shield = Auxilary spearmen + supporting legionary cohorts.
    Right Wing: Sword = Roman cavalry used to snipe the enemy's left wing cavalry with numbers and general if needed then come back for hammer and anvils.
    Center: Breast-Plate of the army. Designed to weaken the center of enemy army with missiles then roll out to help the flanks

-----------------------------------[Lc]
    ------------------------------ [Lc][Aa][Lc]
    ------------------------[Lc] [Aa] [Lc] [Aa] [Lc]- ------------[Rc]----[Rc]
    ---[A]---[A]---[A]--------------------------------------------------[Rc]
    -----[Lc]---[Lc] -----[Lc]---------[G]-----------[Lc]

Key:
    Lc = Early Legionary cohort (normal legions are used against other romans for late game)
    Aa = archer auxilia
    G = general
    Rc = Roman cavalry

Info:

The Left wing is made up of 3 auxilias, and 2 cohorts, and are in a manipular formation in gratitude of the pre-marian manipular formation. If the auxiliaries are charged by infantry, they will retreat behind the legions which will close up a block, then the auxilias will guard the left flank, the reserve legion will guard the gap between the left wing and center group, the general will reinforce if needed.

If charged by cavalry, the auxiliaries will form a line.

If the enemy cav or infantry is trying to flank around the left flank, which ever unit is in the second line will slide to protect.

---

The Right wing is designed to catch enemy cavalry in a surround. The tactic is to have the center back Roman cavalry extend as long as it can to wrap around the first enemy cav, the side cavalries will do the same against other cavalry (works best if enemy cav is trying to flank), if doing a head on charge, use a block shaped cav to flank.

After eliminating the enemy's left wing cavalry, send 2 of your roman cavalry to aid your shield left wing, send the last roman cavalry back to help defend the right.
    ----

The Center will always be stationary, unless there is artillery. The purpose of this formation is to work on the flank's defensively(left) and offensively (right), while the player does not have to worry about the center. The reserve back 2 early legionary cohorts, are there to fill and protect the gaps between the left and right wings. the right legion reserve will almost always be an anvil and the right wing cav as the hammer.

General is used as the ultimate reserve

You can use this battalion offensively, but the left flank is actually going to be located behind the center, and cavalry on the front of the center. The left flank is going to switch the manipular formation from a W to an M with the legions in front, auxilia in the back, to counter enemy flank.

You will basically form a huge battering ram into the enemy center and roll to the sides. and flank with the cav, or cav rush enemy missiles.

This is what the offensive formation will look like.
    ----------------------------[Rc]--[Rc]---[Rc]
    -
    -----------------------------------[Lc]------
    ------------------------------ [Lc][Aa][Lc]
    ------------------------[Lc] [Aa] [Lc] [Aa] [Lc]- -----------
    ----------------------------[Lc]----------[Lc]-------------------
    ------------------------------------[G]-----------------
    ------------------------------ [Lc]----[Lc]------
    ----------------------------[A]----[A]----[A]---

- If the enemy does a long line and you are attacking, don't worry. It will take a while for their flanks to wrap around you, the center will break and you can reposition to counter the surround easily.

Once again, romans rely on their infantry with auxilia support. Auxilia, cav, and archers are devastating when they have more experience. This is why I like using retrainable units at mid-tier barracks because when they get better they are extremely cost effective, you can save money for more "Legions"

I like to call my best legion "Legio Aurum" As soon as most of them hit gold chevrons experience. Remember this is Rome 1, the names are my take for immersion.

I don't use those formations all the time, but I use those units a lot. I just shuffle tactics, these are the common ones I use, feel free to try them out in a custom battle.