Thread: Way too powerful clans?

Default Way too powerful clans?

I'm playing a short campaign as the Macdonalds (Medium/Medium, but still), and in just about 40 rounds I've gone from the edge of being bankrupt to having 40k florins and the power to do whatever I want to the Norse, by just playing it smart with my ships and churning out six Highlanders once in a while.

The only real crisis I've been in was when the Norwegian king + full stack attacked Dunscaith, but even then my 650 men wiped most of them out and hunted them down in the next round.

I realise that Medium/Medium is a large part of the problem, but my real, actual issue is the fact that everyone is bulked up on steroids, fielding four-stack armies as if they were empires instead of clans. I mean, only in the territory around Wick, the Vikings had three full stacks, and now they've got another four ones outside Castle Town, which is their only settlement left.

I can understand the English being able to field an army like that, or maybe two, and the Scottish should be able to have at least one when unified, but come on: The MacDougalls have two stacks, only outside Lagg. Imagine what they have where they're actually fighting.

My suggestion would be severely limiting the number of troops able to be produced from one settlement, to avoid having these situations where a smallish Island clan runs around with an army large enough to pretty much slaughter the world. Twice.

I do, of course, understand if it's too hard to implement, but I'd love this feature. Another thought is that maybe you could put a unit limit on the Highlanders (both twohanders and sword/shield), to simulate the standing army, and then raise the upkeep on the Clansmen, but allow as many as possible to give the feeling of them being the, well, actual clansmen?

Thanks for a great mod, by the way.

Default Re: Way too powerful clans?

The mod was intended to be played on hard/hard. It was released as a beta because fine tuning and balancing were not complete (among other reasons). You could just go and wipe out England...

Alright. I'll give it a try as Comyn on Hard/Hard.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Actually I only ever tested the game on very hard/very hard. But yes using hindsight, player feedback and our own testing we also found that the clans were too powerful for Scotland after a while which made the game not quite historical.

Also if using VH/VH the Norse are way too strong for the MacKenzies.

We've remedied this in the new version, although there has been no testing done. I am building the new version based on VH/VH only as well.

Sorry, I meant VH/VH

When finished, Kingdoms of the Isles will certainly be far more balanced and historically accurate, although achieving this will be require lots of testing and clever scripting.