Thread: Broken Alliance System?

Davius's Avatar Senator

Default Broken Alliance System?

I posted the following in another forum :
    Figured I'd try Russia. Hard, Domination, etc.

Goes great at first. Take all Ottoman Empire. Help Austria a little around Bavaria. Spain sends a 1/2 stack (really?) to Greece which I own.

After that mop-up I decide to cross Northern Italy to get M@rseille, and attack Spain and France from there. I take M@rseille, and liberate Catalonia. My long time ally and trade partner Great Britain decides "no more ally" and our points drop from +184 to +50. Why? No espionage, no borders shared (as if that should matter with +184), no turned-down alliance obligations.

Two turns later GB declares war on me. Seriously, this is broken. This happened in 2 back to back Russian Campaigns. The first time it was Austria with the DOW.

The only other thing besides it being broken is that it was on HARD? Even then, show a decline in relationship points first. It's like it was hard coded to do this.

Oh and ths has happened when playing as GB also on hard. Not sure if it ever happend on Normal.

Still, it's enough to make me not want to play NTW anymore, and I was liking most of it a lot.
    So a guy answers that maybe it's due to me taking all those regions and perceived as too powerful so the other nations will do anything to maintain balance.

Has anyone ever heard this or have proof that this is a gameplay mechanic? I never have.

I answered this (just for reference):

With a +184? Then show it steadily dropping due to "Your Nation Too Powerful", or something. I always monitor the relationships and watch my "Territorial Expansion" ratings.

Respecfully, I've never heard what you mentioned is a gameplay mechanic.
    Are cops killing blacks in disproportionate numbers? Nah:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphi...ice-shootings/

antred's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Broken Alliance System?

You're playing on HARD. That alone should be enough to answer your question. Want the game to behave 'normally'? Play on NORMAL.

Interesting stuff... If the Austrians saw Prussia conquer Scandinavia, Austria would probably attack to keep them in check.

I played on easy my first time.
    I was Britain and as soon as I had about 2 regions on the mainland (Belgium an Britanny as protecatrates) my relationship with Prussia, Russia and Austria went down due to "territorial expansion"

So yeah it is a game mechanic I guess

Eventually after I took over my protectorates directly and Iberia and France , Prussia declared war on me and this was on easy! Needless to say the Continent was soon as coloured In red on the minimap!

AUSSIE11's Avatar Semisalis

a little cheat/trick/bug... if you wan't allies to stay allies give them millitary access to your lands and then they won't attack you...
    The eight most terrifying words in the english language... I'm from the government, I'm here to help.

Foederatus

is there a submod with no alliance with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE11 View Post
    a little cheat/trick/bug... if you wan't allies to stay allies give them millitary access to your lands and then they won't attack you...
    That doesn't work.

Anyway, ancient thread. I've only been playing recently. Is this a side effect of Darthmod or does the same thing happen in Vanilla? Playing the coalition campaign as Russia and by summer of 1805, all major powers but Britain have declared war against me. In two separate campaign attempts. Meanwhile Prussia, Austria, France, Turks, and Spanish all maintain peace. I'm practically fighting them all.

Can anything be done about this?