Thread: Spain

Default Spain

Hi. I today started a campaign as Spain/Iberia in RTW 1.3. I always liked Spain as a faction because they have a good selection of units (especially with Borsooks enhancement mod) and I like their position. However, when I started a campaign I always gave up because either Carthage become to powerful and decimate me from the South, or Gaul terrorize my North. But now Gaul has been beaten out of Spain but is sending armies into my lands but these are easily crushed.

I have a great general called Ambon. He is only 21 years of age and he has 6 command stars. He was born with a 'military genious' trait which immediatly gave 4 stars.

However, now I am focusing on heading South and wiping out Carthage. Then I might have my eyes firmly set on Italy...

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Spain is one of my faveorite factions - they have decnet sword infantry and romanesque pila throwers - and they get some great barbarian troops! A great balance of civilized and non, in my opinion. Just watch out for Carthage - they can inflict some serious pain on untrained troops.
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Quote Originally Posted by Al'Thor
    Spain is one of my faveorite factions - they have decnet sword infantry and romanesque pila throwers - and they get some great barbarian troops! A great balance of civilized and non, in my opinion. Just watch out for Carthage - they can inflict some serious pain on untrained troops.
    No Carthage were a walkover. It's Gaul who are the pain in the neck. They send massive armies which is difficult. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by big bad badger
    No Carthage were a walkover. It's Gaul who are the pain in the neck. They send massive armies which is difficult. Any tips?
    Capture a Greek city (Massilia) or Nova Carthago. Carthi's and Greeks can recruit the almighty phalanx, so can you after building the 3 auxilia buildings. Once you have phalanx, belearian slingers, and the Spanish infantry which throws pila the Gauls are no danger.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Hes' not playing RTR, he's playing RTW 1.3
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

BullWarrior's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Spain

I LOVE Spain in the main campaign, and I agree that the Gauls are a big pain. What you need to do is very simple: Flankings. Draw in the majority of the Gallic force to your 3-4 units of Iberian infantry, supported with some skirmishers. The Gauls should charge straight in, with their General leading the charge. Immediately, from a safe distance, charge in your general to intercept, whilst charging in about 5 units of Iberian Cavalry to the advancing armies side-Flank. As they are reforming, move your cavalry to the center of their army and go for the killing blow- their general!

If you follow this setup, you should be able to defeat them. In my Gallic conquests, I, in total, lost about 1200 men, whilst the gauls lost somewhere between 5000-7500 men.

I agree Spain is very good.

I have been playing RTW since it was released and 95% of my campaigns in those 10 years have been as either Spain or the Roman Julii Family. Hard/Hard is the way to go.

I have barely started branching out recently to try different campaigns that are challenging as well...

Good games!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

Such an old thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?