Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: TROM2 - Technical difficulties (NEW: Installation Guide)

Default TROM2 - Technical difficulties (NEW: Installation Guide)

A thread for installation problems and other technical difficulties.

Installation in 2 Steps

STEP 1: Copying the files

The following files and directories in the TROM2 7zip file need to be copied in your ...\data directory:

These files and drectories must be installed, otherwise TROM2 won't work properly:

trom2_core.pack
    trom2_text.pack (without you lack the TROM2 text entries)
    trom2_enable_1805_campaign.pack OR trom2_enable_1812_campaign.pack( to play the TROM2 custom campaigns; disable if you want to play the Peninsular DLC)
    \campaigns (directory that contains all campaign and script files)

These files an directories are optional:

trom2_easier_economy_submod.pack OR trom2_even_easier_economy_submod.pack (if you want to have more money in the campaigns)
    \mod manager (if you want to use the mod manager to enable the mod and haven't installed it yet)
    any other TROM2 submod

When copying the \campaigns directory over your ...\data\campaign directory you will be prompted to overwrite several esf and lua files. Do that, otherwise TROM2 won't work and crash when you start a new campaign. There is a backup zip with all the vanilla esf and lua files, so you can revert the changes easily when you want to deinstall the mod.

STEP2: Enabling the mod

After you copied the files you need to enable the mod. This makes shure that the files are loaded when the game starts, and is done by either using the mod manager or editing the user.script file. It is also important in which order files are loaded. As a rule, all files with the label "submod" in the name must be on top of the list (above the trom2_core.pack).

Playing the TROM2 custom capaign or the Penisular War DLC: To play the TROM2 custom capaigns you have to enable trom2_enable_1805_campaign.pack OR the trom2_enable_1812_campaign.pack (the load order is not important). To play the Penisular War DLC you have to disable the TROM2 campaign packs.

(1) Using the mod managern (recommended)

Copy the \mod manager directory from your 7zip file into your ...\data directory. The mod manager needs Mircosofts NET 3.5 to work. Download it from here and install it. Then open the directory and start mod_manager.exe. Uncheck the "show all vanilla files checkbox if it is checked. You should now only see installed mods in your list. With the arrow buttoms on the right side you can move a selected file up and down the list. Do this with any file labeled submod so it is located above trom2_core.pack.

If you have technical difficulties with the mod manager, refer to this thread.

(2) Editing the user.script file

If you have trouble using the mod manager, you can enable the mod by manually installing and editing the user script file.

Code:
    Finding the user script file

Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR PROFILE NAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR PROFILE NAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts

Shortcut:
    Start -> Run -> Type %appdata%

A window will open in the Application Data folder, simply follow the path above.

You may need to enable 'Hidden Files & Folders' in Windows XP and Vista:

-> My Computer
    -> Tools
    -> Folder Options
    -> View
    -> "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

Windows Vista / Windows 7
    C:\users\YOUR PROFILE NAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    C:\users\YOUR PROFILE NAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts

Shortcut:
    Start -> Search -> Type %appdata%

A window will open in the AppData folder, simply follow the path above.

After having located the user script file you can edit it with a text editor. For running TROM2 you should create a list like this (with the 1805 campaign):

Code:
    mod "trom2_core.pack";
    mod "trom2_enable_1805_campaign.pack";
    Any additional files with submod in their name have to be above these files in the list. The TROM2 extras pack can be anywhere in the list.

Code:
    Example (with the 1812 campaign):

mod "trom2_EXAMPLE_submod.pack";
    mod "trom2_core.pack";
    mod "trom2_enable_1812_campaign.pack";
    mod "trom2_extras.pack";
    You can also use the user script editor from here. To disbale a mod you have to delete the whole entry.

Deinstallation in 3 steps

STEP 1: Disable the mod by either using the mod manager or deleting all TROM2 related entries in the user script.

STEP 2: Delete all files with trom2 in their name in your ...\data\ directory:

STEP 3: Locate the vanilla_campaigns_backup.zip in the TROM2 installation file. Copy the \campaigns directory over your ...\data\campaign directory and overwrite any file when prompted. This reverts all changes to the esf and lua files back to vanilla NTW.

Voilą, you are done. If you do something wrong and damage your installation you can always restore NTW by using the Steam file integrity check. Read here how this is done.

Typical installation problems and solutions

(1) Problem: When I start a new campaign with TROM2 the game crashes.
    Solution: The TROM2 campaign and script files are not properly installed. Copy the \campaigns directory from the installation file over the ...\data\campaign directory and overwrite any files there.

(2) Problem: I am missing text for the new TROM2 units, for new missons and campaigns.
    Solution: Make shure the trom2_text.pack is located in your date directory. If this is the case then another mod overwrites the TROM2 text changes. Try to find out which one and remove it.

(3) Problem: The Peninsular War DLC does not work with TROM2.
    Solution: To play the Penisular War DLC you have to disable the trom2_enable_1805_campaign.pack/trom2_enable_1812_campaign.pack.

(4) Problem: Some nations uniforms are white in battle.

This is a common problem of NTW with unit skin mods and is related to memory usage of your PC. There are many threads with tips about solving this:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ite%20uniforms
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...te+uniform+bug

Here is a link to a troubleshooting approach: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ht=memory+leak
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; March 05, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Default Re: TROM2 - Technical difficulties

hi guys. I have been playing with trom2 and its been great, although with brigadier grahams total music overhaul at the very top of my mod manager. Sometimes when I laoded the game, it would be mute on the menu page and I would have no sound in campaign and battles (although the loading screens played the usual vanilla graphics).
    I had also been using the mod manager for trom 2 which I placed in my data folder.
    Annoyed that every so often my game would be mute, I would quit and change the load order of brig's music mod to either top of mod manager or second to the top.
    Then this morning I decided to look at the user.scripts and saw that the mods on that script ran together in a line rather than being evenly spaced. I seperated them and saved the changes and then when I cam eto load the game via mod manager I got this error message; unhandled user error / index was outside the bounds of the array.

I have tried down loading mod manager for trom again but get the same error message. I even tried deleting the user.script.

Now my game will play but mute with no sound on menu and campaign/battle screens and I have no way of using the mod manager.

HELP!
    Last edited by The Kurgan; October 10, 2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: PRINT SCREEN DIDNT WORK.
    If the Kurgan wins the prize, mankind will suffer an Eternity of Darkness.... while watching The Hunt for Red October .... over and over ad nauseum...

Don't know how to repair the mod manager. I would guess that you should also delete any profile. file and add a new user.script.txt. I have attached a simple one with trom2_core and the custom campaign enabled. For the problem with the sound I would look into the technical section of the forum. I have no idea what could cause this.

thanks Yarkis - I will give it a shot. Appreciated.
    If the Kurgan wins the prize, mankind will suffer an Eternity of Darkness.... while watching The Hunt for Red October .... over and over ad nauseum...

Tks Yarkis - that worked. I just used your non corrupted user text and typed in the mods i wanted and it worked without mod manager. then I just reinstalled mod manager. music and trom2 all working great. Had an amazing battle too. Awesome!

Foederatus
    Italy, Abruzzo (Vacri & Pescara)....old Sabellian lands!!!

Modmanager shows plenty of conflicts and does not want to start the mod for me.
    What shoudl I do?
    In case I have to modify tha script...where do I have to put it?

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by LucaCherstich View Post
    Modmanager shows plenty of conflicts and does not want to start the mod for me.
    What shoudl I do?
    In case I have to modify tha script...where do I have to put it?
    If you had the same problem as me just uncheck the checked box on the left side of the mod manager menu and then you should be able to activate the mod.

Foederatus

I didi it...but it does not work.
    I have Win7 and I bought Napoleon through Steam, do these things matter?

I didi it...but it does not work.
    I have Win7 and I bought Napoleon through Steam, do these things matter?
    No I have the same thing.

Are you sure you enabled all the TROM files and that they are all in the correct places? If so, I have no idea what could be wrong, I'm no expert with this sort of thing. :/

Maybe you had a corrupt download? If all else fails you could try re-downloading it.

Foederatus

When I try to start the modmanager it says:
    (I roughly translate from Italian)

Impossible to find the route:
    "C:\Users\DebsLucs\AppData\Roaming\TheCreativeAssembly\Napoleon\Scripts".

I DO NOT even have a "the creative assembly" folder in my roaming folder!
    Where does Steam put the scripts for Napoleon?

How about:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war

Do you have NET 3.5 installed? If not, here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Foederatus

I have Microsoft Net framework 4

Make a file search for user.script.txt. To run mod manager ou may also find more help here. You can also try to edit the user script directly with this tool.

Foederatus

Last time I installed this mod without even starting Napoleon once.
    Now I re-installed it, I started teh game, and, magically, the scripts appear in the usual directory (appdata/roaming/TheCreativeAssembly/etc....).
    I then up-dated Direct X.
    Vanilla Napoleon works perfectly.
    I then re-installed this mod (Trom2) and lauched the mod manager.
    I ignored the usual conflict....and this time Napoleon crashes before starting with a message which (roughly translating it from Italian) says: "Napoleon Total War STOPPED WORKING".
    Here I have something different than before...but still I cannot play this mod!

Foederatus

odd thing now.
    I started Napoleon TW without the mod manager...and it looks like it starts Trom2!
    I do not know wether it is using all of the three mod parts or not...teh only thing I know is that there is no sound at all!

Foederatus

I have now substituted the user script and the sound play!
    Still do nto know wether I'm using or not the easy economy submod

If your mod list is like this the easier economy will work.

mod "trom2_easier_economy_submod.pack";
    mod "trom2_core.pack";
    mod "trom2_enable_campaigns_01.pack";

hi guys I've find some problems installing the mod. I have put all the campaigns file and the trom2 files(except for easier economy) in napoleon data, then I have started the download manager checking the right order of files, but when I start the game it seemed like the vanilla one and the campaign crash

I've installed all the mod files and have got them in the right order on the mod manager but when i try to play the TROM2 campaigns the game crashes to desktop, does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast