Page 3 of 255 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

Default Re: Mass Effect 3 - Cumulative Thread

I honestly wouldn't mind a Mass Effect MMO as long as they make it realistic(no names like XxXsephirothsniper420XxX).

Anyone here played Pirates of the Caribbean Online? You had to pick one of the default names, or you could come up with a name and if it gets approved you would have it the next day.

I always wanted to play as a Turian!

I hope we won't be using the old squad members, because I... ehhh...

Kind'a wasted my entire squad in my play.

Grunt did survive though! He was the only one with the balls to xD
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    I hope we won't be using the old squad members, because I... ehhh...

Kind'a wasted my entire squad in my play.

Grunt did survive though! He was the only one with the balls to xD
    You skipped all the loyalty missions What fun is there in that?

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

I always try to make all my team members survive. It tears my heart to see the characters that I used and liked to die. Especially when I can do nothing about it (DA:O Ending for example)

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

I remember reading on the Bioware forums someone deliberatly created a situation where Morinth was the only survivor. Pretty much the worst possible squadmate to have left. And technically, the worst outcome to, as you need at least one survivor.
    Last edited by Musthavename; October 10, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Wrote campaign instead of forums... weird.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaobSiroc View Post
    You skipped all the loyalty missions What fun is there in that?
    Indeed. I just don't understand some people.

Comes Domesticorum

Maybe he felt it was more important to defeat the Collectors as opposed to running errands for strangers, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Maybe he felt it was more important to defeat the Collectors as opposed to running errands for strangers, lol.
    Strangers? We are talking about loyalty missions.

Comes Domesticorum

Think about the way they're presented though:

Everyone joins your squad because they owe you or because they have to. At no point do they say "If you don't do this for me, I'll leave" except Zaeed, who says it was part of the agreement to help him.

If you were working in a paramilitary organization and all your crew and subordinates kept on asking your for favors or for you to run their errands, nothing would ever get done.

In essence what I'm trying to say is that within the context of the Mass Effect universe, loyalty quests shouldn't be there in the form and manner in which they're presented. It is not a bunch of independent people who group up to do something significant like in Dragon Age, but a commander and his subordinates. The idea that you need to run their errands for them to be loyal to you kinda goes against that entire concept.

Think about the way they're presented though:

Everyone joins your squad because they owe you or because they have to. At no point do they say "If you don't do this for me, I'll leave" except Zaeed, who says it was part of the agreement to help him.

If you were working in a paramilitary organization and all your crew and subordinates kept on asking your for favors or for you to run their errands, nothing would ever get done.

In essence what I'm trying to say is that within the context of the Mass Effect universe, loyalty quests shouldn't be there in the form and manner in which they're presented. It is not a bunch of independent people who group up to do something significant like in Dragon Age, but a commander and his subordinates. The idea that you need to run their errands for them to be loyal to you kinda goes against that entire concept.
    I see. But don't compare real life to a video game, mate. It's just not the same. If you don't do the loyalty missions on ME2, you're really missing out!

And besides, some of those squad members are also your friends.(Garrus, Tali etc.)

Comes Domesticorum

I did them because they were generally enjoyable. However, if I was roleplaying as an actual military commander, I definitely would not be doing them, at least with the reasoning presented.

I did them because they were generally enjoyable. However, if I was roleplaying as an actual military commander, I definitely would not be doing them, at least with the reasoning presented.
    It's not very realistic when it comes to missions, I'll admit that much. You have to find some volus guy's chip in some salarian tech store in ME2 lol. That was pretty ridiculous honestly.

Comes Domesticorum

Yeah lol. Though it's a fun sidequest to do with Tali around.

Yeah lol. Though it's a fun sidequest to do with Tali around.
    I'll do it with Tali next time just for the extra dialogue.

By all means... else you miss out on a very good (and funny) dialogue.

I'm also in on the loyalty missions. The missions themselves are fine the way they are (arguably they're some of the best missions of the game), but context-wise, they're nothing short of ridiculous, as others have pointed out. Neither would you expect a paramilitary leader to run around and do favours for their teammembers just to make them "loyal", nor would you expect someone to suddenly become steadfastly "loyal" to you because you did them one favour. Truth be told, most of the recruitment missions would, under normal circumstances, already be good reasons to work someone - you're mostly saving people's lives in them, after all.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; October 11, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Top-Tier-Tech's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    By all means... else you miss out on a very good (and funny) dialogue.

I'm also in on the loyalty missions. The missions themselves are fine the way they are (arguably they're some of the best missions of the game), but context-wise, they're nothing short of ridiculous, as others have pointed out. Neither would you expect a paramilitary leader to run around and do favours for their teammembers just to make them "loyal", nor would you expect someone to suddenly become steadfastly "loyal" to you because you did them one favour. Truth be told, most of the recruitment missions would, under normal circumstances, already be good reasons to work someone - you're mostly saving people's lives in them, after all.
    ME2 would be mighty short if it weren't for loyalty missions For a game it's all good.

Hopefully ME3 is more like ME1 in the fact that the missions you do are directly relevant to the final goal.

You guys are drawing too much from the fact that the missions are called 'loyalty' missions and that the members then becomes loyal after completing said mission. What it is in reality isn't you getting the person to become loyal to you, but rather you have team members who have their minds drawn to other issues and you do these missions for them so that they can 100% worry about the task at hand rather than something distant like finding Sidonis or blowing a research lab that tested on them as a kid. In that context it's perfectly understandable, because Cerberus may be a paramilitary organization but the only people really required to follow Shepard in the military manner are Miranda and Jacob. What doesn't make sense in the game is that you have time to go do all these little missions. But the missions themselves make enough sense, it's not like if you don't do them the person says "I hate you" and is 'disloyal' during the mission. It just means they can die because their distracted, but they don't always die anyways sooo.... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaobSiroc View Post
    ME2 would be mighty short if it weren't for loyalty missions
    One of the problems when the loyalty missions form a major part of the high-quality mission material...
    It would have been interesting to see more directly story-relevant quests, but I don't mind the loyalty missions per se - as everyone seems to agree, they're pretty good by themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    You guys are drawing too much from the fact that the missions are called 'loyalty' missions (...)
    That's the logical conclusion, yes. One would logically assume that characters die because they cannot properly concentrate on what they are doing.
    The problem is that that simply isn't what the game is portraying it like. The game portrays it as problems with loyalty entirely. Just think about the loyalty missions and what characters tell you after you finished them: Yes, getting their issues solved and their minds taken off it is one part, but loyalty almost always is the more dominant part in this. Most characters will tell you that they have come to see you as trustworthy, that you are worthy of their efforts to help you, that you are the right (or only?) person to support etc. etc. - all of that basically yells "loyalty" at you. But it's interesting that you pointed this out, I never thought about this business before. Looks like Bioware has something else to improve now.

Comes Domesticorum

I don't know, if I was the first person to survive going through the Omega-4 Relay, land on a Prothean / Collector / Reaper base battling hundreds of the Collectors and finding out humans were being made into goo so that a human reaper could be constructed, I think a distress signal from a random island wouldn't be the most pressing thought on my mind.

Rogal Dorn's Avatar Miles

You guys can wait for ME3 (I am too). But I'm really waiting for the ME MMO. Once Star Wars: The Old Republic sells a billion copies and rakes in millions, BioWare will probably have the required confidence.

No, I'm not saying we should all be able to play as Commander Shepard. A thousand Shepards running around without any sheep would be silly. But the world is rich (and unexplored) enough for an MMO.