Thread: Mass Effect 3

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Mass Effect 3

The Dark Energy plot sounded absolutely horrible.
    You let the Reapers harvest the human race because "lol superior genetics" and save the Universe from Dark Matter.
    Or, you blow up Reapers and figure out yourself.

I'd rather become green than get turned into robotic brain paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    They would be incorrect. The only path to happiness is through Christ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Jesus can blow me.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I think I'd have been more OK with the synthesis option if they had just bothered to at least make it seem alright.

So it's the peak of evolution, but everyone has to look the same with identical glowing green circuit boards on their skin? Wouldn't most people just choose a normal appearance, at least to start with?
    Or at least wouldn't different people choose different colours, if they absolutely had to have them visible?

The whole thing just seemed so tacky and cheap -- that is, upon reflection, what made the ending so jarring. Not only was the writing incongruent with 99% of the rest of the series, but even the quality of the drawings stood out as exceptionally low.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; June 09, 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Sorry, just realised this is the main thread - no spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post
    The Dark Energy plot sounded absolutely horrible.
    You let the Reapers harvest the human race because "lol superior genetics" and save the Universe from Dark Matter.
    Or, you blow up Reapers and figure out yourself.
    I agree. I can see no logical connection between genetic superiority and stopping the spread of dark energy. Even if the genetic structure can be used as a blueprint of some sort, there is no logical reason why a large quantity of physical mass (i.e., your flesh and bones) is needed, since the DNA of a person can be determined from even a thread of hair. Therefore, the Dark Energy plot either requires a lot of space magic which will be bashed by fans for being space magic or some scientific explanation that surely will be bashed by fans for being inaccurate.

The synthetics vs. organics plot makes a lot more sense, if it were properly executed. Besides the bad endings, I would have expanded on the theme "we are your salvation through destruction" to make it seem like being turned into paste was something that was good.
    Last edited by Aeratus; June 09, 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Beregond's Avatar Слава Україні!

I suppose this looks quite fitting to be in the battle of the Earth

breathtaking
    Last edited by Squid; June 14, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

What is this game?

Beregond's Avatar Слава Україні!

that's a teaser trailer for Dawn of the Reapers mod for Sins of Solar Empire, my friend

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Ah, ok. Do you still do MP btw? I'm only 30 promotions away from BotB banner! But PUGs.

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Totally fine with the reapers just being *******s though, I cant help but stress that enough.

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

One question - would say that ME 3, DLC's included, is less/equally/more enjoyable as ME 1?

Me 2 is out of reach due to the much better characters (palpably the worst - James as a joke of a stereotyped hispanic & EDI as a parody of a clichť nerd's wet dream).

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

ME3 is more enjoyable in terms of gameplay only. If ME1 had ME3 gameplay it'd be the best game in the trilogy without a doubt. That said, Citadel DLC was fun.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but Iím not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I donít know anything about. But I donít have to know an answer. I donít feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

ME3 has better shooting mechanics than ME1, but that's about it. ME1 is better in pretty much every other aspect.

I think you can make the case that all of the ME3 DLCs except Citadel were, for whatever reason, cut content. The game is otherwise largely devoid of meaningful side missions.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Seneca

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Only Javik was cut from the original game, really. Well, maybe Omega too. Leviathan definitely wasn't, they came up with the storyline for that only after people began to hate on the Spacekid.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but Iím not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I donít know anything about. But I donít have to know an answer. I donít feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    ME3 is more enjoyable in terms of gameplay only. If ME1 had ME3 gameplay it'd be the best game in the trilogy without a doubt. That said, Citadel DLC was fun.
    Thought the same.
    The endless running, shooting-mechanism, the MAKO and a few characters in ME 1 put it a bit down, though the questlines were brillant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Only Javik was cut from the original game, really. Well, maybe Omega too. Leviathan definitely wasn't, they came up with the storyline for that only after people began to hate on the Spacekid.
    Yep. Not the worst answer along with the extended-cut, but a simple "re-cut" would have been better. Spacekid seems as if they ran out of time and did it in the 2 hours left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Invasion View Post
    ME3 has better shooting mechanics than ME1, but that's about it. ME1 is better in pretty much every other aspect.

I think you can make the case that all of the ME3 DLCs except Citadel were, for whatever reason, cut content. The game is otherwise largely devoid of meaningful side missions.
    Don't think so. Shooting is much better, the role-play elements are better balanced (although that is mainly due to ME 2) and characters are better than Ashley/Kaidan. Enemies in ME 1 were far superior though.

Day One DLC was a disgrace, really, even if Javik was probably the 2nd best character overall, but Omega is just the usual 08/15 DLC thats developed in post-production = wasted money.
    Extended Cut & Leviathan were appeasement, while Citadel was a final goodbye.

The respective final missions are marvellous. Don't tell me the Geth/Quarian decision, or Mordin's last words didn't touch you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac View Post
    Yep. Not the worst answer along with the extended-cut, but a simple "re-cut" would have been better. Spacekid seems as if they ran out of time and did it in the 2 hours left.
    They didn't have the entire story and/or the ending figured out just a few months before final release, so my guess is that this is exactly what happened.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Enemies in ME1 are more generic, but sometimes generic enemies are more believable than fighting very specific enemies over and over.

Sometimes while playing ME2 I longed for some generic bad guys instead of fighting the same mercenary groups again and again.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen CarnesÓr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Can't help but think of how much fun they could have with this guy with new game mechanics in ME2 and 3:

Also there are other subtle ways they could have improved things if they had actually sat down and planned out the big events that would have taken place. For instance, regarding Cerberus going bad... I don't really think it's nonsense like many believe. It's an example of the Reapers indoctrinating and turning people against each other to better serve their purposes. Of course it was done sort of strangely and there are holes, but the fact that TIM became indoctrinated and the whole time truly didn't think that he was actually was in keeping with what was laid out regarding indoctrination and how it was used in the past by the Reapers. I mean when you think about the coup as an example. On the surface it makes no sense. Wtf is Udina and Cerberus going to accomplish with the coup? Nothing. But when you think of it in terms as a tactic the Reapers use via their indoctrinated pawns it's a perfectly understandable move. It pulls resources away from the fight, it creates havoc and fear, it distracts Shepard/could potentially have killed him, etc. So yeah, from Udina and Cerberus perspective it's sort of silly but as a secondary tactic used by the Reapers it makes sense.

But had it been planned out better and in advance they certainly could have done things a bit more interestingly. Imagine a Cerberus character aboard your ship that is exactly what Cerberus is, thinly veiled. He's at best a sympathetic character where you get why he went to Cerberus and at worst you see sometimes why he's 'beyond saving', but sort of always have that hope that you might be able to. You have Miranda that brought you back and then make Jacob a legit Cerberus operator. He actually tries to make excuses for the things the Cerberus has done, or tries to convince Shepard they were necessary. If Shepard assaults him about his ideas he just clams up, but Shepard can explore why he feels the way he does or expand on some of the things he's done for Cerberus. Maybe he relates to you those things and in some cases expresses regret, but ultimately swings back to his belief that it had to be done for the greater good. As a romance option make him more a lust option for Shepard. Maybe there's a spark, but more likely it's just two people using each other. Could have had him clashing with the other aliens or Jack or something and then perhaps he maintains the distance like Jacob does but maybe after loyalty he opens up a bit about himself-- enough for you to like him. Then when the Cerberus betrayal happens instead of Kai Leng in ME3 you're actually facing off against one of your former crew, who never supported you to begin with, but was actually just serving TIM from day one. Maybe he gets morally conflicted, based on how you dealt with him in ME2 (including romance with fem-She), at some point and that's a choice you make. Convert him halfway through ME3, kill him for his betrayal, or apprehend him somehow as a third option to stand for his crimes. But how much more impact would it have been to see Thane being basically killed by a crew member you actually might have liked in ME2? How much more frustrated would you be if you were being hampered or harassed by Cerberus and it was a character you were into that was doing it? Wouldn't it just frustrate you if Zaeed went from working with Shepard to targeting you forcing you to kill him in ME3 (after all he's a gun for hire)? Not saying that's a good idea, but trying to use the idea of a character you like actually betraying you later. That to me adds lots of impact. The whole Ashley/Kaidan not trusting you felt sort of forced to me.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Have you applied for a job at bioware?

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Have you applied for a job at bioware?
    Why would he do that? Were he able to get the subtle parts that bioware got wrong in a misstep the first time through he'd be writing his own books and making his own money(what you see up there is hindsight, all things being equal, no offense to Jin, not to say he couldn't, since I've hardly seen his original work anyway). Screw working for Bioware.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Good points there Jin, especially the idea of a crew member betraying you in favour of Cerberus and replacing Kai-Leng (who was a character, anyway). The main gripe I had with Cerberus in ME3 was that they got way too much screentime and importance throughout the story, though. They would've been entirely fine as an intermediary obstacle to take out (say, 50-75% into the story) and only turn up as a few remnants later on, but instead, they got a center stage position right next to the Reapers. Kind of weird when you're building up the Reapers as the true big bad from the beginning.