Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I'll be happy if you write a tutorial!

+ rep just because you may some day write a tutorial. I can't rep Taw yet, but I'll again, soon.

Just a question:
    The smaller XML would be small enough to open with wordpad or notepad?
    In theory I could just keep cutting them in pieces until they are, so yes.
    Just splitting large bitmaps and cai garbage away makes the rest almost editable in text editor.

Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Hedge Knight View Post
    Awesome news Taw, im going to have to nominate you for opifex soon if you keep all this awesome work up XD.
    Who's opifex? I mostly play games, I rarely post here ;-)

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Its an award this site gives for exceptional contributons to modding normally awarded for large amounts of work on mods over several years or for making multiple tools (eg model converters) tools over an extened period.
    Doing stuff like in this post: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=371454
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; November 06, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Artifex
    Patrician

Its an award this site gives for exceptional contributons to modding normally awarded for large amounts of work on mods over several years or for making multiple tools (eg model converters) tools over an extened period.
    Doing stuff like in this post: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=371454
    Are you suggesting I should delay releases over several years instead of just throwing tool after tool for a few days? Damn, I didn't consider that ;-p

Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Coming soon - Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    Coming next, I want to merge these from old version:

• getting rid of most of redundant version="1" crap etc.
    • XML splitting
    • bitmap exports
    • more semantic xml
    • Performance fixes

One down, four to go. Vaguely in this order.

I'd hope to at least finish XML splitting, as I'll be away on BarCamp London 8 next weekend,
    and busy otherwise, so it's either now, or in two weeks (unless I find unexpected free evening).

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Yaaaay!

Now, can someone tell me in plain English if bitmap exports will allow us to add regions on the map? I.e. splice France in more territories?
    Or at least add towns here and there?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Artifex
    Patrician

Coming next, I want to merge these from old version:

• getting rid of most of redundant version="1" crap etc.
    • XML splitting
    • bitmap exports
    • more semantic xml
    • Performance fixes
    XML splitting is ready and tested with JRuby.

xml2esf couldn't care less what you split at - any <xml-include path='foo.xml' /> will do.

esf2xml has list of types on which to split in convert_rec function,
    just add or remove any to your liking.

That's pretty much it for this weekend, I might do a few minor things perhaps.
    Wishlists for my next ETW modding tools coding binge welcome.
    Remember that I have little idea what real modders need, so
    I wouldn't even look at files like groupformations.bin if it wasn't requested.

With Ruby 1.8.7 startpos.esf conversion takes 3 minutes to xml, 5 minutes back.
    It will be more like 1 minute / 1 minute once I'm done with it, but not just yet.
    Bitmap exports alone will save a lot of time that's currently being wasted.

By the way part of semantic analysis of esf is picking up better names
    for xmls than faction-0012.xml, and organizing them into subdirectories.
    So don't panic yet.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yaaaay!

Now, can someone tell me in plain English if bitmap exports will allow us to add regions on the map? I.e. splice France in more territories?
    Or at least add towns here and there?
    No.

Bitmaps embedded in .esf files are for things like climate maps and other relatively boring stuff.
    The main reason I want them out is to make them editable, and get them away from
    interesting things.

Campaign map is mostly vector-based. It's mostly in regions.esf as serialized vector outlines.
    It will need more complicated exporter, of complexity similar to one for groupformations.bin -
    that is totally doable (especially since we know more about campaign map than
    about group formations), but not easy.

For now enjoy split XML export. With this everyone should be able to edit XMLs for any esf.

It's also a good time for tutorials, as interface will probably stay the same for the next
    few weeks (at least until I write some simple GUI).

Thanks! ! ! !
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Artifex

Amazing
    My final suggestion would be to make it seperate stuff into folders within the main folder so put all the quadtrees in on, the unit names in another and the bits you might actually want to edit in another.

Artifex
    Patrician

Amazing
    My final suggestion would be to make it seperate stuff into folders within the main folder so put all the quadtrees in on, the unit names in another and the bits you might actually want to edit in another.
    Oh yeah, that and some rudimentary semantic naming is in some alternative version of the code already.
    I just didn't want to deal with confusion of / vs \ separators for porting just yet.

Artifex
    Patrician

Minor update uploaded:

• XMLs now go into subdirectories by 'The Hedge Knight's request. You can configure splitting easily. Specification like "foo" means creating files like "foo-0123.xml", specification like "foo/" means files like "foo/0123.xml" in subdirectory.
    • Pass --server option to jruby to get extra 10%-ish performance boost on big files.
    • There were supposed to be other performance enhancements, but they turned out to be insignificant.
    • Fixed bug with bin4/i4_ary/u4_ary - now you'll see more content, less hex data for some stuff.

Artifex

That was quick .

We still go by that:

jruby esf2xml <regions.esf >regions.xml

?

Artifex

no i belive the usage is jruby esf2xml startpos.esf (name of folder to putstuffin without brackets)

eg jruby esf2xml startpos.esf startpos1

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

EDIT: Ninja'd by Josst

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

jruby esf2xml.rb [ESF FILENAME] [NAME OF NEW FOLDER TO BE CREATED]

Use no []'s

Artifex
    Patrician

no i belive the usage is jruby esf2xml startpos.esf (name of folder to putstuffin without brackets)

eg jruby esf2xml startpos.esf startpos1
    jruby --server esf2xml startpos.esf startpos1

might be a bit faster.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Taw, I was thinking, I could program an .exe for windows, that could run the scripts via cmd prompt for people, via a simple little GUI. If your happy to let me that is? I dont wana step on any toes.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Taw, I was thinking, I could program an .exe for windows, that could run the scripts via cmd prompt for people, via a simple little GUI. If your happy to let me that is? I dont wana step on any toes.
    Sure, why not. I was intending to make simple GUI in jruby+swt etc. but I've been too busy, so just go ahead with it.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Sure, why not. I was intending to make simple GUI in jruby+swt etc. but I've been too busy, so just go ahead with it.
    Thanks again!