Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

What should be in the xml file called esf? It failed to convert with your latest script and jruby...

Default Re: Perfect ESF<->XML converter and revolution in ESF modding [Released!]

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Hedge Knight View Post
    What should be in the xml file called esf?
    What you mean exactly? It seems to work o.k. here though i tested only a small file. I converted to xml and back to esf.

Edit: If you mean the names in command you'll reverse the ones you gave to convert esf to xml. E.g.

jruby esf2xml file folder

jruby xml2esf folder file
    Last edited by husserlTW; November 26, 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Artifex

no i can make it work, the only difference is with the latest version it splits everything nicely but in the root directory of the split there is an empty xml files called esf and the cmd told me it failed to convert...

Yes i did install nokogiri beta.
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; November 27, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Artifex
    Patrician

no i can make it work, the only difference is with the latest version it splits everything nicely but in the root directory of the split there is an empty xml files called esf and the cmd told me it failed to convert...

Yes i did install nokogiri beta.
    While converting what, with what error mesage if any?
    Screenshots please?

Artifex

See attached screen.
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; November 09, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Artifex
    Patrician

See attached screen.
    Either the file is corrupt, or there's major bug in esf2xml, or there's new data type in esfs
    we know nothing about yet.

Please check that the file is OK (get it again or something, or md5 it).
    If it seems so, send me the file you've been trying to convert.

Artifex

Its a default ntw startpos, i never got this before (unless i replaced it with somthing else by accident and forgot).

Will try with redownload scripts and another startpos tommorow.

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    Are you asking how to use tools or how I wrote them?

If you want to use it, follow instructions in README.txt.

By the way could someone please create a tutorial with screenshots, and sticky it somewhere
    so I could link to it from README.txt? The interface probably won't change much.

As for decoding esf, format was mostly known before, there was EsfEditor before I even started.
    That's what I meant.
    But thanks for the readme, and your great modding work!

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStorm View Post
    That's what I meant.
    But thanks for the readme, and your great modding work!
    Well, I'm old enough not to be scared of hex data, and ETW's formats
    are fairly straightforward from computer's point of view. If only they could
    be as straightforward from human point of view, but I guess that will be my job.

Artifex

Ok, turns out my problems were just a dodgey startpos.

Hurrah for Hex and taw!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    Well, I'm old enough not to be scared of hex data, and ETW's formats
    are fairly straightforward from computer's point of view. If only they could
    be as straightforward from human point of view, but I guess that will be my job.

Actually I thought that what you asked us to do... Man, I can't even understand what you want us to do.
    Still, Good work! Thanks for you and all those that help you.

PS. I can't install JRuby, it doesn't find some Java version it needs.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Thanks!
    I would rep you if I could, but I can't do it yet.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Hey guys, I am experienced this problem: when I use a startpos that I've converted in xml and vice versa game crashes even if I do not make any changes. No message errors, startpos seems normal after conversion but always CTD when I pick a faction and game starts to load.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Hey guys, I am experienced this problem: when I use a startpos that I've converted in xml and vice versa game crashes even if I do not make any changes. No message errors, startpos seems normal after conversion but always CTD when I pick a faction and game starts to load.
    Converting to xml and back is supposed to preserve every single byte as it was.

If you get identical esf and it somehow started CTDing - that would be magic (or Windows permissions problems, file locking etc. - this kind of stuff happens, but it's unlikely).

If you don't get identical esf, it's a bug in converter.
    Send me all relevant files and I'll take a look what happened.

Let me download fresh files of yours and try again and I'll be be back.

I tried with your latest files 28/11 and now work fine (I made five tests). The first time (only) I got this error:

But conversion was O.K. in a vanilla file with no changes. I repeated but no error since then. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Is there any problem if I do not use any XmlSplit? I need that for small pieces of startpos I usually work on.
    Last edited by husserlTW; December 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    EDIT: Is there any problem if I do not use any XmlSplit? I need that for small pieces of startpos I usually work on.
    XmlSplit is used only by esf2xml.

esf2xml will convert back correctly no matter what XmlSplit was.

You can comment out or delete all lines you don't like, it will work just as well.

Yeap, I've tested already, almost 2.500 changes in 15'. You made my (modding) day! +rep!

EDIT: I have to spread some rep first before it allows me to rep you again...

Hi taw, when are you planing to change for example: faction-0001 to Britain?
    If you explain me how to do it, i may try o help you, even if I've never done it

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!