• Yes, they are less beast

12 24.00%
  • No, now I can finally fight them

13 26.00%
  • Who cares? Rhun is on the other side of Middle Earth

25 50.00%

Thread: Variag Archers Ammo Nerf Poll

Default Variag Archers Ammo Nerf Poll

What do you guys think of Rhun's variag archers?

Their fire rate was increased so they fire a wall of arrows but their arrows run out way too fast!

Default Re: Variag Archers Ammo Nerf Poll

Playing as Rhun and haven't had an issue with running out of arrows. The quantity of arrows doesn't feel small, don't know what it was like back in 1.4 though.

In 1.4 they used to be able to kill off around 2 squads. Now they take care of 1/4 of a squad of Hearth Watchmen and then they become only useful for charge flanking enemies...

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

It's easily editable. Just go to the EDU, find the Variag Archers there and edit how much ammo they have or increase they're missile damage to suit your needs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senator

I've never noticed this change. Probably due to the fact Rhun is already way Overpowered.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Gondor View Post
    What do you guys think of Rhun's variag archers?

Their fire rate was increased so they fire a wall of arrows but their arrows run out way too fast!
    Well it's kind of a balance, in "real life" you cannot carry thousands of arrows with you...

Actually they can. The Mongols didn't just carry arrows on their backs but strap them to their horses. And if you think that then you should kill the amount of arrows for others. I mean really, Dale Longbowmen can shoot at you for like 30 min before they run out.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Gondor View Post
    Actually they can. The Mongols didn't just carry arrows on their backs but strap them to their horses. And if you think that then you should kill the amount of arrows for others. I mean really, Dale Longbowmen can shoot at you for like 30 min before they run out.
    Yeah of course, but like i said, it's balance also, if they shoot damn fast they do run out of ammo way faster, rhûn has enough superb units so it doesn't make the faction any weaker...

True. I am just saying that it is harder for me to destroy the dwarves this time then when I played in 1.4 since I kill small amounts of units and the dwarves are BSitty hard to beat since the computer auto always favors them making sure that I can never take Erebor since it has a stack of Axemen of Erebor and Iron Crossbows and HUGE walls.

Then just wait them out...
    What I did.

I wasn't about to kill off a stack attacking them head on in a city battle so I just waited the 9 turns till they surrendered.

Well. They won't surrender because of a garrison script and annoying reinforcement stacks.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Then delete the garrison script. I hate that thing and always remove it. If you don't know how to do that, read the stickied FAQ. There are instructions in a spoiler tag in the 3rd post.

Baywatch's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post
    I've never noticed this change. Probably due to the fact Rhun is already way Overpowered.
    Huh, it's a fact that Rhun is way overpowered? Didn't know that.

Actually IMO I don't think Rhun is OP at all, and some of their units could actually use a bit of a buff.

I didn't realize variags were changed. Does this apply to both mounted and dismounted?

Clearly has his priorities straight.

I have edited the EDU so that all archers have 40 arrows and cav archers 60. This makes Variags my worst Rhunnic enemy for sure!

BTW have anyone noticed that Balchoth Tribesmen don't have shields in-game but they do on their units cards?

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistDane View Post
    I have edited the EDU so that all archers have 40 arrows and cav archers 60. This makes Variags my worst Rhunnic enemy for sure!

BTW have anyone noticed that Balchoth Tribesmen don't have shields in-game but they do on their units cards?
    Strange. They have tiny bucklers on my screen. Either that or they changed in 2.0 and I never zoomed in enough and found the difference. Weren't they holding a buckler and like 3 javelins behind it?

ISA Gunner's Avatar Campidoctor

They hold the shield while in javelin firing/ready mode but when engaged in melee, their shield "disappears" and they only wield their sword. As far is i know, this is only a visual error and their shield defence bonus still exists even though they carry no shield.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ah yes. I am thinking it is a graphical error but to make it sound better when in combat they drop their shield with their arrows and run in like a berserker

Quote Originally Posted by ISA Gunner View Post
    They hold the shield while in javelin firing/ready mode but when engaged in melee, their shield "disappears" and they only wield their sword. As far is i know, this is only a visual error and their shield defence bonus still exists even though they carry no shield.
    For some reason TATW 2.0/2.1 uses an old version of the unit's model. I found a newer and working one in the RR/RC 1.41 mod. I hope I don't enrage anyone by providing a link to this file, nevertheless here it is http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7T2B1IP9

Copy/Cut to Third_Age\data\unit_models\_units\rhun and overwrite the old file.

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistDane View Post
    For some reason TATW 2.0/2.1 uses an old version of the unit's model. I found a newer and working one in the RR/RC 1.41 mod. I hope I don't enrage anyone by providing a link to this file, nevertheless here it is http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7T2B1IP9

Copy/Cut to Third_Age\data\unit_models\_units\rhun and overwrite the old file.
    Could you do that to with the Rhunnic Chariots to make them available in vanilla?

Senator

Wish more of the units in game actually switch to there shields. This mostly goes for bowmen Annoys me how alot of the archers have shielsd on there back but they never switch to them in melee.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.