Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: TROM2 - Bug reports

Default Re: TROM2 - Bug reports

I seem to be getting random little crashes every so often - I can't see any particular pattern to them, they just happen once in awhile. I may have something loaded in the wrong order - who knows. It's not that big of a deal anyway, as I normally just go back and reload the autosave.
    La Garde recule.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Pope_Fred_I View Post
    I seem to be getting random little crashes every so often - I can't see any particular pattern to them, they just happen once in awhile. I may have something loaded in the wrong order - who knows. It's not that big of a deal anyway, as I normally just go back and reload the autosave.

The same happens to me ATI 4870, 10.6 drivers

I am sorry, but I can't help with that. I think the mod is pretty much free of bugs. Personally I had no crashes in ages. But hardware or software related issues always exist.

Got a problem no one else seems to have mentioned so I am assuming its something to do with my system, but maybe you can help.

Playing a campaign as Portugal, just captured Madrid and then the sound begins to loop endlessly for certain sound effects. Things like the city management screen sound that sort of thing. Eventually the sounds continue to build up and then CTD. It worked pretty well until now. Restarting after the original crash seemed to clear it only for the looping to begin again a couple of turns later. I played a campaign as Denmark and didn't have the looping issue, but I doubt it has much to do with the faction really.

Oh yeah sorry also playing version 2.1

i copyed the trom text pack, the tromenable custom campaign pack and the core pack into my data folder, but when i started the mod with the modmanager, i could only play the vanilla version. any idea what i made wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by der assassine View Post
    i copyed the trom text pack, the tromenable custom campaign pack and the core pack into my data folder, but when i started the mod with the modmanager, i could only play the vanilla version. any idea what i made wrong?
    You have to enable the mod. You also need to copy the campaign folder over the vanilla campaign folder. An installation guide can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=394867

it doesnt work which mod must i start with the modmananger?

All the pack files associated with TROM2.

I'm playing the 2.0 version (with the patch I think). I'm not entirely sure because I've deleted my original TROM II installation files, which was stupid of me. I wish I haven't done that because it's a great great mod and I would love to play it in the future as well.

Bug: already in several battles in the campaign, where I'm playing as the French, the AI cavalry is stupid , even dumber than in vanilla. They just charge towards the flank of my line and then don't know what to do and ride for a second to the right, then to the left, just moving practically in the same place. At the same time my units just fire away and slaughter them while they just stand there deciding what to do next . Really funny! It seems they get confused and don't know which unit to attack. They don't know whether to attack the flank of my infantry line or my cavalry who stand behind the line. And they just wander between my infantry and cavalry.

Don't know if this one is more worse but sometimes the enemy cavalry just charge towards my cannons/infantry (suicidal charge, really dumb, sorry but there's no other word to describe it). Sometimes they reach the destination (which is stupid, because it's a frontal suicidal attack). And if they don't reach the destination this is what happens: in the middle between the two armies (AI army and my army) they stop their charge and just stand there turning around and turning around and turning but staying in the same place. Of course you know what happens then if you have some artillery batteries .

What is the cause of that? Can you/I do something about it?

Quote Originally Posted by KamilW View Post
    I'm playing the 2.0 version (with the patch I think). I'm not entirely sure because I've deleted my original TROM II installation files, which was stupid of me. I wish I haven't done that because it's a great great mod and I would love to play it in the future as well.

Bug: already in several battles in the campaign, where I'm playing as the French, the AI cavalry is stupid , even dumber than in vanilla. They just charge towards the flank of my line and then don't know what to do and ride for a second to the right, then to the left, just moving practically in the same place. At the same time my units just fire away and slaughter them while they just stand there deciding what to do next . Really funny! It seems they get confused and don't know which unit to attack. They don't know whether to attack the flank of my infantry line or my cavalry who stand behind the line. And they just wander between my infantry and cavalry.

Don't know if this one is more worse but sometimes the enemy cavalry just charge towards my cannons/infantry (suicidal charge, really dumb, sorry but there's no other word to describe it). Sometimes they reach the destination (which is stupid, because it's a frontal suicidal attack). And if they don't reach the destination this is what happens: in the middle between the two armies (AI army and my army) they stop their charge and just stand there turning around and turning around and turning but staying in the same place. Of course you know what happens then if you have some artillery batteries .

What is the cause of that? Can you/I do something about it?
    No, that's dumb vanilla AI. My favorite is when the AI cavalry at my left flank decides there is a nicer target at my right flank and tries to reach that riding in front of my line.

now it works, thank you is there any possibility to make the units larger? (cause in the trailers are always so many soldiers)

Quote Originally Posted by der assassine View Post
    now it works, thank you is there any possibility to make the units larger? (cause in the trailers are always so many soldiers)
    Read in the 2.1 anouncement how to play with 25% or 50% bigger units. You have to manually set the unit multiplier in the config file and use either the xl25 or xl50 submod on top of TROM2.

Sometimes they reach the destination (which is stupid, because it's a frontal suicidal attack).
    It is magnificent, but it is not war.

See example

Sorry Yarkis, I thought you changed the AI for the mod. Apparently not . Nevertheless I noticed a big difference between vanilla AI and TROM AI. Is it then just the cavalry?

Another 'bug' : Recently I managed to destroy 2 armies by just simply artillery fire and 3 units of skirmishers. The enemy were in line formation. I positioned my line infantry across them, but still far away, and my cavalry behind my line. On my left flank I placed 4 guns and the skirmishers. And then I pounded away on the unit on their right flank and also moved my skirmishers to their right so that their right flank units would rout very quickly (with artillery pounding them and skirmishers firing). And the enemy just stood there the whole bloody time while I routed one enemy unit after another. The only thing they did was return cannon fire onto my skirmish formation (which almost caused no casualties).

In another battle I positioned 6 artillery units on a hill (I was attacking Berlin). They started firing on the enemy army. How did they react? They moved away. At the same time many enemy soldiers had fallen because of my artillery. And when they thought they were far enough from my cannons, I moved the cannons forward and kept firing on them. After a half an hour they decided to attack (useless). What is wrong with the AI?

To rossw: the picture, from which battle is it? Not the Napoleonic Era, isn't it?

The Crimean war, Battle of Balaklava. The British Light Cavalry Brigade of 700 horses attack 20 battalions of Russian rifles and 50 guns because of a mix up with their orders. They broke through a line of 5200 Russian horse, turned and broke out again.

Charge of the Light Brigade

Sorry Yarkis, I thought you changed the AI for the mod. Apparently not . Nevertheless I noticed a big difference between vanilla AI and TROM AI. Is it then just the cavalry?

Another 'bug' : Recently I managed to destroy 2 armies by just simply artillery fire and 3 units of skirmishers. The enemy were in line formation. I positioned my line infantry across them, but still far away, and my cavalry behind my line. On my left flank I placed 4 guns and the skirmishers. And then I pounded away on the unit on their right flank and also moved my skirmishers to their right so that their right flank units would rout very quickly (with artillery pounding them and skirmishers firing). And the enemy just stood there the whole bloody time while I routed one enemy unit after another. The only thing they did was return cannon fire onto my skirmish formation (which almost caused no casualties).

In another battle I positioned 6 artillery units on a hill (I was attacking Berlin). They started firing on the enemy army. How did they react? They moved away. At the same time many enemy soldiers had fallen because of my artillery. And when they thought they were far enough from my cannons, I moved the cannons forward and kept firing on them. After a half an hour they decided to attack (useless). What is wrong with the AI?

To rossw: the picture, from which battle is it? Not the Napoleonic Era, isn't it?
    I changed many aspects of both the CAI and BAI. I also added AI only troops, which have skirmish formation by default or have different unit classes attached to them that work better for the CAI. It also helps, that TROM2 does not have extreme rock, paper, scissor mechanics like vanilla. For example heavy cavalry can break weak squares, while light cavarly on the other hand will not automatically win against all units in line. Such and similar changes help the AI, and that's why the casuality rate of the player can be quite high in TROM2. However, nobody can mod the hardcoded AI routines like suicide attacks, forming of squares, stupid behaviour of reinforcements, passiveness when defending, stupid targeting and so on.

In the two battles you described above the BAI was defending, and the BAI is very bad when defending. It often stays passive and only reacts when the player comes very near. It will only counterattack if it thinks itself superior. Nothing I can do about that. The BAI for ETW and NTW was never finished, because they lost the BAI programmer before finishing ETW, and it looks like nobody had an idea what the guy was doing, so they could only fix parts of the programming in the patches. For Shogun 2 they have new BAI programmer.

"Shogun 2 they have new BAI programmer" too bad but I couldn't care less about shogun what a poor choice by CA.

To Suvorov: Great they have a BAI programmer. Pity they chose to make Shogun II. Don't know whether I'll like it or not.

To Yarkis: I understand it's not the mod. But then I ask myself, why do people like Marshal Beale claim they have improved the AI very very much. And people who play his mod seem to confirm it. They seem to be experiencing great epic battles. It's just something I ask myself. Probably it's exaggerated that his AI is so much better.

-Another issue and it's not your mod, but I want to ask you this, as you may know the answer. Lately I installed a new nVidia graphics driver. Then I continued playing TROM II. My ships in battle were kind of blue instead of brown. It it the driver, is that possible? Should I install the previous driver or what?

-Italian infantry (fought some battles with them in my army) have no hats, no pants (only lingerie, it at least looks like that).
    -The French Guards à Cheval (with red hussar uniforms; they can fire too from horseback) or what do you call them, there's no shooting sound when they fire.

To Suvorov: Great they have a BAI programmer. Pity they chose to make Shogun II. Don't know whether I'll like it or not.

To Yarkis: I understand it's not the mod. But then I ask myself, why do people like Marshal Beale claim they have improved the AI very very much. And people who play his mod seem to confirm it. They seem to be experiencing great epic battles. It's just something I ask myself. Probably it's exaggerated that his AI is so much better.

-Another issue and it's not your mod, but I want to ask you this, as you may know the answer. Lately I installed a new nVidia graphics driver. Then I continued playing TROM II. My ships in battle were kind of blue instead of brown. It it the driver, is that possible? Should I install the previous driver or what?

-Italian infantry (fought some battles with them in my army) have no hats, no pants (only lingerie, it at least looks like that).
    -The French Guards à Cheval (with red hussar uniforms; they can fire too from horseback) or what do you call them, there's no shooting sound when they fire.
    I can only say that nobody can mod out the basic flaws of the NTW BAI. There are a handful of variables you can adjust, but this will not change the basic AI programming. As a modder I spend hours with testing and sytematic evaluation, while most players only post random observations. And its normal for mod authors to exaggerate their achievements. People are so used to hyperboles, if you just tell them you improved this or that a little bit (which is the truth), it's not enough. Nothing wrong with that, but don't believe everything.

If the new driver creates trouble, then better go back. Can you be more specific about the Italian infantry? Whats their name?
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; January 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

I mean the regular simple ordinary Italian line infantry that you can, as France, can recruit in Venice, Rome, Napels... Maybe somewhere else too. Don't know.