Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: TROM2 - Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: TROM2 - Feedback and Suggestions

Random question:
    Is there anyway to give Oldenburg a trading port? I just find it odd that that's the only territory (as far as I can tell) next to the ocean that doesn't have a port of any kind. Perhaps if the little place could generate some revenue, they would actually do something on the map besides sit there waiting for the Prussians to swamp them!
    La Garde recule.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope_Fred_I View Post
    Random question:
    Is there anyway to give Oldenburg a trading port? I just find it odd that that's the only territory (as far as I can tell) next to the ocean that doesn't have a port of any kind. Perhaps if the little place could generate some revenue, they would actually do something on the map besides sit there waiting for the Prussians to swamp them!
    Maybe it's possible one day, if either CA reveals the secrets of map making or moders find it out. But it won't make the CAi do anything. That's another secret.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    If you play France the key is to be aggressive like Napoleon. I recently did a test game with France at N/H and captured Vienna before Summer 1805. The battle for Vienna was bloody and I lost one unit completely, but my artillery superiority and the Old Guard won the day. Now Austria is severly crippled and Prussia and Britain are not yet ready to strike against me. And with Vienna and Tyrol in my hands and a first trade ship in the Mediterranian sea my income is more then 2000 per turn.

France starts with the biggest and best army and the biggest economy. If you make use of this advantage early on you should prevail.
    Well, for historical reasons I won't permit myself to invade Austria until September 1805 -- and I always want to build the TW version of a Grand Armee. However I did take your advice to move quickly once I got moving. This time I was able to take the Tyrol and Venice, occupy Vienna and conclude a peace deal with Austria by December 1805. They showed up with four stacks instead of six this time.

Now I've advanced in my game to the Summer of 1806 and I'm at the gates of Berlin. Money is still tight, mostly because the British navy is aggressive (as they should be). The lack of money does force a decision about naval v.s. land, which again, seems to mirror history -- also enjoying using the assault columns. Keep up the good work my man.

Can you include the new mod going around that lets soldiers aim their weapons before firing?
    Plus, I think L'aigle has finished his reskins of France, can you update the mod in the next version?
    Last edited by Edax; January 21, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Hi all,

I love this mod and I love the ongoing attempt to focus on historical accuracy (where possible). Is it possible to give all native French infantry the ability to fight as skirmishers? Not boosting their accuracy or range to those of units that were specilized as light infantry, of course...but the scholarship (as I'm familiar with it) seems to agree that French troops (at least the well-trained troops from the period 1805-1807) could all fight as skirmishers if needed. The flexibility of the French during that period was based on experienced troops who could quickly assume column, line, skirmish and then reform back into column/line or closed/hollow square as needed. France's continental enemies during that period were still wedded (mostly) to linear tactics from the preceeding century, and were far less flexible. Later on France's abilities declined as attritrion decimated the ranks of junior officers, whose expertise was critical to the manuvering of troops on the battlefield. The increasingly one-note use of assault columns seen in the later battles of 1809-1815 seems to be more the result of attrition (especially after Russia), and not the fault of Napoleon or his generals. Anyway, is it possible to allow the human player (at least) French troops who might all be capable of skirmish order?

Vive l'Empereur!

Hello.

I saw in prewiev u intend to raise number of men i line inf, what will happen when u play whit TROM 2 XL 50. The lines will be wery loong, posible to have 4 ranks deep whit XL 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltflak View Post
    Can you include the new mod going around that lets soldiers aim their weapons before firing?
    Plus, I think L'aigle has finished his reskins of France, can you update the mod in the next version?
    I already implemented the aiming mod for skirmishers and light infantry in 2.1, but not for line infantry. And yes, L'aigles skins are on my to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by aedonaldson View Post
    Hi all,

I love this mod and I love the ongoing attempt to focus on historical accuracy (where possible). Is it possible to give all native French infantry the ability to fight as skirmishers? Not boosting their accuracy or range to those of units that were specilized as light infantry, of course...but the scholarship (as I'm familiar with it) seems to agree that French troops (at least the well-trained troops from the period 1805-1807) could all fight as skirmishers if needed. The flexibility of the French during that period was based on experienced troops who could quickly assume column, line, skirmish and then reform back into column/line or closed/hollow square as needed. France's continental enemies during that period were still wedded (mostly) to linear tactics from the preceeding century, and were far less flexible. Later on France's abilities declined as attritrion decimated the ranks of junior officers, whose expertise was critical to the manuvering of troops on the battlefield. The increasingly one-note use of assault columns seen in the later battles of 1809-1815 seems to be more the result of attrition (especially after Russia), and not the fault of Napoleon or his generals. Anyway, is it possible to allow the human player (at least) French troops who might all be capable of skirmish order?

Vive l'Empereur!
    I will think about that. But it would change the game very much in favour of the French. And the BAI can't really handle this change. I tried to implement the skirmishing advantage of the French by giving them better light infantry stats and the grand band voltigeur unit. In the next version they will also have quicker marching speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a soldier View Post
    Hello.

I saw in prewiev u intend to raise number of men i line inf, what will happen when u play whit TROM 2 XL 50. The lines will be wery loong, posible to have 4 ranks deep whit XL 50.
    I will raise the standard unit sizes to the current TROM2 XL25 size. If you use XL25 on top of that you will have similar units sizes then now with XL50. I am not shure if I will continue XL50 because of the reasons you mentioned.

Hey , dude mind tweaking ammo for arty in next version? I couldn't find a way to do it properly arty should run out of ammo eventually and infatry as current values are high but could be changed in ammo column unitlandstats same column for arty doesn't effect anything i have unlimited ammo turned of in preferences as well.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Suvorov View Post
    Hey , dude mind tweaking ammo for arty in next version? I couldn't find a way to do it properly arty should run out of ammo eventually and infatry as current values are high but could be changed in ammo column unitlandstats same column for arty doesn't effect anything i have unlimited ammo turned of in preferences as well.
    I feel like it's more historically accurate to allow the artillery to have, effectively, unlimited ammo. The artillery batteries would've had access to the supply and baggage trains. Infantry and armed cavalry, on the other hand, could very well run out of ammunition in the heat of battle, precipitating either a withdrawal or (my personal favorite) a bayonet charge.
    La Garde recule.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Suvorov View Post
    It looks like the unlimited ammunition for artillery is hardcoded.

I think that line infantry didn't aim at any single soldier in the enemy ranks. They just pointed the musket to the general mass of men in front of them.

I may be a version behind, so I don't know if you added the new explosion animation in yet. But if you haven't, could you in the next version when you add in all the French reskins?
    Last edited by Edax; January 25, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

What new explosion animation?

Something I saw in this new mod promo

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Might be a bit over the top explosives but they look impressive. Very impressive.
    Last edited by WarnerVH; January 27, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Small suggestion: Could we possibly increase the unit size of Grenadiers to the same as line infantry? Their elite status is often outweighed by their numerical disadvantage.

Also, bayonet charges seem very ineffective, maybe it's just the faction I'm playing (France) but something about it just seems off. For instance, I had three units (Two grenadiers, one Fusiliers of the line, each with one experience chevron) charge the flank of a single unit of enemy line infantry (Prussian Musketeers) while they were in a firefight with another of my units, making them unable to turn and fire. The result: all three of my units suffered heavy casualties and my line infantry routed. I immediately rage-quit.

The other problem with melee is the A.I.'s stupid path-finding (i.e. charging in at the wind instead of at the enemy) but I know there's nothing you can do to fix that.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Still playing; still trying to get a handle on game balance. I will be in touch later with more feedback.

By the way I'm playing as France there's this odd thing with Austria where I keep offering them peace/trade and they keep accepting but only until their turn, when they cancel and declare war again. They've even done this after offering me 1000 for peace. Assume it's a vanilla issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Small suggestion: Could we possibly increase the unit size of Grenadiers to the same as line infantry? Their elite status is often outweighed by their numerical disadvantage.

Also, bayonet charges seem very ineffective, maybe it's just the faction I'm playing (France) but something about it just seems off. For instance, I had three units (Two grenadiers, one Fusiliers of the line, each with one experience chevron) charge the flank of a single unit of enemy line infantry (Prussian Musketeers) while they were in a firefight with another of my units, making them unable to turn and fire. The result: all three of my units suffered heavy casualties and my line infantry routed. I immediately rage-quit.

The other problem with melee is the A.I.'s stupid path-finding (i.e. charging in at the wind instead of at the enemy) but I know there's nothing you can do to fix that.
    Making grenadiers bigger would just make themanother elite unit, which I don't like. As it is now, Grenadiers are a kind of support unit. They are the only unit that cause fear and increase moral at the same time.

France is not weaker in melee combat against Prussia (actually they have a +2 charge bonus for line infantry). Just look at the stats. However, keep in mind that the AI gets stat bonuses when you play on hard or very hard. But I wonder how they could beat back 3 units. Are you shure you didn't get friendly casualities because your other unit was shooting into the fray?

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Still playing; still trying to get a handle on game balance. I will be in touch later with more feedback.

By the way I'm playing as France there's this odd thing with Austria where I keep offering them peace/trade and they keep accepting but only until their turn, when they cancel and declare war again. They've even done this after offering me 1000 for peace. Assume it's a vanilla issue.
    I know this behaviour. Not much I can do about this.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; January 28, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    Making grenadiers bigger would just make themanother elite unit, which I don't like. As it is now, Grenadiers are a kind of support unit. They are the only unit that cause fear and increase moral at the same time.

France is not weaker in melee combat against Prussia (actually they have a +2 charge bonus for line infantry). Just look at the stats. However, keep in mind that the AI gets stat bonuses when you play on hard or very hard. But I wonder how they could beat back 3 units. Are you shure you didn't get friendly casualities because your other unit was shooting into the fray?
    I'm sure there were no friendly casualties and I play on Camp:M Battle:H, but this battle was on M/M, so there's really no reason this should've happened. Also, my general was right behind them and they still routed.

Can you give Napoleon back his overcoat? Almost every dipiction i've seen of him on the field of battle, he's wearing that coat over his green uniform.