Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How I make my maps. ~ BDH

Default Re: How I make my maps. ~ BDH

I make new land by this method :

Necessary part :
    Add land in map_heights
    Resize map_heights to the size op map_regions , by using the 'None' in 'Interpolation'
    Copy it , make a new layer in map_regions , and paste the map_heights on the new layer .
    Then , drop the opacity a bit , so you can see where you need to add land .
    Delete the new layer in map_regions when you are done
    Save it

Now , resize map_heights to the way it was , and save it . Delete map.rwm and map_heights.hgt (if you haven't done so already)

Optional :
    Add climates in map_climates and ground types in map_ground_types .. method is the same as above

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Same basic method just using two different files. But either way, your using one file as reference for the other.

Also, remember, map_regions doesn't need to be as detailed at map-heights. If your region spills into the water a bit or covers a lake, the map will still load.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Yep , and if you make new land , it isn't necessary to give them to someone in map_regions , so you can just keep it like the way it was

I'm new with gimp, and I would have like to assemble the two pictures I got from the first part of the tutorial, but I don't know how to do this.
    Can someone help me with this please?
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

It tells me the site for the converter is under construction, so I can't use it.

Foederatus

Help!

I´m a newbie to the whole Total War series, but I like the game and its potential is awesome as a strategy game.

I´ve played Paradox Interactive´s games like Europa Universalis in the past and in those games they have some 1700 provinces probably drawn with a similar kind of color patch regions map.

Now, I wrote to the Creative assembly support and asked for a patch that would unlock the 200 province limit. Wouldn´t it be great if they really published a small patch to the game engine and unlocked the province limit on all Total War games, how hard can it be? Just change a few lines of code in the data files I presume?
    You should all write some sort of e-mail to them too requesting this, to show support for this, or write a common e-mail, one that many of you "sign", a petition if you will, asking for a patch with the province limit unlocked and other reforms you would like to see. Let´s see if they take note of it and publish a patch.

Now, what I need help in is mapmaking.
    I´m looking forward to enlarging the strategy map of RTW to the full 510x510 pixels (is the hard coded limit 510 or 500 pixels?) encompassing the whole nordic countries and northern Europe into the game and south perhaps to the Horn of Africa or beyond and in the East perhaps to India?
    If only it was possible to make more than 200 provinces...

Could someone post updated links to the map data that is needed, such as gtopo30 for the elevation map mentioned in the first post? I tried finding gtopo30 but all the links were dead or malfunctioned at this date, I wrote to the USGS about it, hope they fix the links.

Also a manual or tutorial for mapmaking in all its aspects would be nice, some experienced mapmaker could write a step by step tutorial on making all of the needed maps, the elevation map, the ground types map and the regions map, aswell as the trade routes map and others.

If they unlock the 200 province limit, think of what could be done...
    The map could reach all the way to China and Japan, if only there were units and buildings textures for Chinese and Japanese factions... I wonder if one could import stuff from Shogun Total War to Rome Total War? Just transfer the building and unit textures to make units for asians...

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Well, opening up the map beyond 200 regions is one thing, but then you still have the map size limitation and the water to land ratio bug that would still need to be worked out.

But yes, RTW is old enough now where I don't think there would be any financial reason not to adjust these, unless there's legacy rights issues.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/viewers.html

DEM and DLG Viewers

The DEM and DLG viewers are two free downloadable software tools provided by the USGS for viewing digital data. These two software programs were written by the USGS Mid-Continent Mapping Center (MCMC). The DEM viewer can be downloaded from this page, but MCMC no longer provides support for this viewer. These two software tools run on Windows platform.

Last edited by Squid; April 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Ok to download the second map it talks about go here: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...w.php?id=22585

On the right side there are two links that you want (depending on where your map that your making is)
    one is Western hemisphere the other is eastern hemisphere RIGHT click on the one you want (on the link) and pick "save link as" save it on your computer... (note: these are 21600 pixal length by 21600 width (total of 25mgb)) its a .tif file.

open it and edit it
    Last edited by juanpablo; January 27, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

LiquidSantanero's Avatar Miles
    Aruba, (in the Caribean, not Middle-East)

I moved a region in souther arabia called Zufar, city Ubar and placed it in South west pelloponese renamed it to Messenia, Messana, did everything else step by step, and when I try to start my provincial campaign, game sends me back to campaign choosing screen. When I close the game I get a message saying that in descr_regions.txt couldn't find tribus_brigantes in localized string, which is weird since I haven't touched the entry of that region at all.

Anyone know what could be the problem here?

Thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention that the map is mundus_magnus 1.2. It's the only one that works for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234