Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (COMPLETED 7/24: EPILOGUE)

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/8: Chapter 31)

Thanks, hull. That's pretty impressive, steamrolling Aragon so easily. I'm really having a difficult time rooting them out. It's been a little easier since they got excommunicated, but it was much more difficult for a long time. And yes, I'm really sick of fighting them!

The AAR actually keeps me interested in a campaign much longer than if I was just playing. That's why it's worth all the extra aggravation and time spent editing (the comments are appreciated, as well!). When I play without doing an AAR, I don't really have the same roleplaying elements. Pero and Gil just become another tool to use against the AI. There'd be no civil war, no execution of Miguel. I wouldn't care that Marcio is the last of the de Portugal kings.

hull19's Avatar Ordinarius

Hehe.... well, I got tired of Sicily and kept it on the side line... started playing as Aragon

Don't hate me for it, but I made a point of killing Portugal before the Moors and Castille
    SS 6.4, Eras 2.3, DotS Project
    The first computer you had always was the best.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Chapter 32: The Northern Line

After Gil’s victory at Fes, Aragon’s ability to defend both its northern homelands and its southern colonies is severely compromised. With Portugal’s navy defiantly controlling all of the western edge of the Mediterranean, and more than 600 miles from Zaragoza to the nearest Aragonese African colony by land, Aragon’s lands are utterly divided. The two regions are essentially forced to operate as separate kingdoms. The King is in the north, unable to effectively exert his control over the African colonies.

Pero continues to put pressure on Aragon, as he and Rui Meira assault Zaragoza in 1276.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Between the two, Portugal brings more than 2000 men to the battle, while Aragon’s garrison holds fewer than 900.

While Rui’s army begins to assault the opposite side of the city, Pero’s army heads forward with two siege towers, several rams, and nearly a dozen ladders.

Pero’s infantry heads forward toward the walls on both sides of the gate. On the right side, Portuguese infantry stream onto the walls using ladders and a siege tower. On the left side, the ladders reach the walls, but the siege tower is burned just as it reaches the walls!

The Aragonese general Ignacio Salcedo chooses to split his forces, attempting to defend against both Pero and Rui at opposite sides of the city. As a result, Pero’s men easily take the walls, and the ram knocks in the gate. However, because of the burned tower, Pero’s men are slower in getting inside the city than Rui’s men.

Rui’s men handle the bulk of the defenders, making for an easy path into the city center for Pero’s men.

Pressed between Pero’s men on one side, and Rui’s on the other, the Zaragoza garrison holds out as long as they can, but are eventually destroyed and the city is captured.

Pero kills the prisoners (and convinces Rui to do the same with his prisoners) and sacks the city in retaliation for the injury he suffered at the hands of the late Prince Isidro. Pero’s reputation for fearsomeness spreads far and wide, leading to anger, and not a small measure of fear, in the last northern Aragonese city of Barcelona.

Alexandre Amaral takes Pamplona’s garrison east, clearing out several smaller Aragonese armies west of Zaragoza. Rui heads west to take control of Pamplona and recruit and train new troops.

The following year, local nobleman Gustava da Cunha asks Andre Osorio for the hand of his daughter, Margarida, in marriage. Margarida is intrigued and smitten with the intelligent and dashing young man, and the two are married.

Salvador Gonçalves and his wife Ana have a daughter named Luisa, and Duarte and Ana’s younger brother Lopo Lopes comes of age in the capital of Toledo.

Alexandre Amaral takes command of the newly conquered Zaragoza. Vasco Cruz takes Valencia’s garrison and heads north, while Pero rebuilds his army using troops from Pamplona and Burgos. Then, Vasco and Pero head east to aggressively press the attack against Aragon.

In 1278, they attack Francisco de la Serna’s army just outside the gates of Barcelona. Pero’s plan is to draw the young King Hernan into battle with the city’s garrison. Hernan takes the bait and jons the battle.

Even in his 50s and with a still weak left arm, Pero remains a tremendous force on the battlefield. Even outnumbered by a total of 300 men, Pero is, as always, confident in his ability to win. His men are mostly veterans, and more professional than those of Aragon.

As the battle starts, Pero rallies his men: “I want our enemies to live and see their bladders empty at the very memory of what we are about to do!”

Pero and his men set up on a hill, forcing the enemy to come to them. Vasco and his army arrive at the battlefield far behind Pero, leaving Pero’s army to hold off de la Serna’s army until Vasco’s army can move up.

Jinettes move forward to harass the Aragonese cavalry, and Portuguese feudal knights fight Aragonese feudal knights on both the left and right flanks. Pero himself charges several dozen mercenary Frankish knights on the left.

The Portuguese knights begin to grind down their Aragonese counterparts, as Aragonese catapults fling flaming boulders directly into the fray.

Pero and his men decimate the Frankish knights, and the impetuous Portuguese general turns his horse to face de la Serna himself.

The Portuguese knights, outnumbering their counterparts, are able to eventually destroy the Aragonese knights. The Portuguese knights then turn and race to assist Pero against de la Serna. They charge right into the enemy general’s flank.

De la Serna is killed, crushed between the two assaulting forces of knights. Just as Pero and his men begin to roll the flanks of de la Serna’s demoralized army, Vasco Cruz arrives at the head of his own army, chasing down fleeing Aragonese.

King Hernan’s army arrives, as well. The King charges directly at Pero in a desperate maneuver. However, hundreds of Portuguese knights defend their heroic leader, and King Hernan is knocked from his horse and trampled. It is an ignominious death, but it symbolizes the continued fall of his kingdom.

Pero, Vasco, and hundreds of knights charge directly into the Aragonese infantry, seeking to break them.

With both Aragonese leaders dead, the entire enemy force soon begins to rout and Pero and Vasco are victorious.

Pero’s and Vasco’s losses, while not minimal, are small compared to the utter devastation of the Aragonese armies. Pero, as is his wont, executes all prisoners.

With the garrison routed, Barcelona is empty, and Pero captures the city, sacking it and seizing the lands of all Aragonese nobles.

With this huge victory, Aragon’s northern holdings are gone. Though there are still several large armies in the lands north of Barcelona, and the new Aragonese king lurks nearby, Portugal’s position is eminently defensible. The castle at Pamplona to the west has a large garrison and cannon towers, both Burgos and Valencia are capable of producing large numbers of professional soldiers, including the elite Knights of Santiago headquartered in Valencia. Plus, with the Papal States holding Toulouse and several huge Sicilian armies northeast of Barcelona, it will be nearly impossible for those Aragonese armies to retake the city, especially with Pero and Vasco each commanding large numbers of veteran, professional troops.

For all intents and purposes, Aragon is gone from Europe.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/11: Chapter 32)

As a teaser, I'll say that there is a new King in the next update. It will take me a little while to get it all together because I've got to do the whole family tree, all the general pics, the rankings, etc. But hopefully in the next few days.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great updates as always, and great to see Aragon is finished in Europe. It's only a matter of time before they're completely destroyed now. +rep
    Just one typo:
    to hear tell of its grandeur
    I think you meant: to hear the telling of its grandeur.

Thanks, dezikeizer. I can't wait for Aragon to be gone, if just to be able to fight someone different! Unfortunately, I think the next fight is likely to be against England...

And as for the phrase, "to hear tell of" something is a somewhat archaic phrase (which is why I used it). It's not really used any more, at least not here in America.

Here's the definition: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...h/hear-tell-of

I'm working on one more regular update chapter before we get to the whole new king/family tree/bios/rankings one, so look for that in a few days. The big one will take a bit longer. Editing the family tree and the bios are a huge job. I spent quite a while on the tree today, but it's nowhere near done. Still, it's really cool to see the whole thing laid out. I'm going to post the whole tree in large (very large) scale in a spoiler box. Everyone will need to scroll to see it all, but I think it will be worth it. It's like 2600 pixels wide, but it's got nearly a hundred family members and seven generations.

Chapter 33: End of the Line

Even after Gil’s capture of Fes, Aragon refuses to blithely stand by and concede Portugal’s entry into North Africa. Several large armies begin marching westward toward the recently conquered city. Duarte Brito, now nicknamed “the Silver-Tongued” because of his charm and speaking ability, quickly gathers together troops from Cordoba and Seville and heads south to reinforce Gil.

In the meantime, the Aragonese King Silvestre shows up outside the also recently captured Barcelona, with only his bodyguards. Silvestre, then only the heir, was separated from the other few remaining Aragonese forces in the north when Pero took Barcelona. Then, with the death of the young King Hernan, Silvestre is technically the new King (though he has no way to reach the new capital in Africa for his coronation). Pero is eager to attack him and begin to sweep away all traces of Aragon in Europe.

Thus, Pero gathers up his knights and races after the enemy King.

Pero and more than 100 knights line up in a shallow valley. Having been chased and harassed across more than 50 miles, Silvestre and his few dozen guards are exhausted. They climb the only nearby hill and await the inevitable.

Even with the advantage of defense and terrain, the Aragonese king’s troops have little chance to hold off the veteran Portuguese cavalry. Indeed, Pero and his men charge directly uphill, with no fancy maneuvers. Silvestre holds out for only 10 minutes.

Surprisingly, a moderately injured Silvestre surrenders instead of fighting to the death. Clearly, he must not know of Pero’s treatment toward prisoners.

And indeed, Pero is at first inclined to kill the man. He is an enemy, and an important one at that. Plus, the man practically begged for his life after being thrown from his horse.

Still, Pero stays his men. Gil had recently sent him a letter urging him to be more merciful toward captured enemies. With the childless Gil set to become king in the near future, he will almost certainly name Pero as his heir. Gil is wary of Pero’s perception as a merciless warrior; destined to become the first of a new line of Portuguese kings, Gil cannot afford to give the people any more reason to question his pending leadership.

Plus, Pero’s close advisor and trusted guard Casono notes the value of a captured king. Casono points out that the war against Aragon has sapped Portugal’s coffers, and ransoming the king would help replenish them. So Pero humors his brother’s wishes, just this once. He sends word via messenger to the rest of the Aragonese leadership in Africa: King Silvestre in exchange for more than 12000 florins.

The message takes more than 3 months to reach the other leading Aragonese generals in Africa. The Aragonese leadership is in disarray, with the death of Hernan, the capture of Silvestre, and the sudden shifting of the capital from the north to Africa. Plus, their treasury is almost empty. Still, several of the Aragonese generals want to work to scrape together the money. Others figure a new and uncrowned King (who has proven to be a military failure) isn’t worth bankrupting their faltering kingdom. The opposed side wins and sends word to Pero that they will not pay his “unreasonable demands.”

Pero receives the message back in the safety and comfort of Barcelona. Casono is shocked (and likely dismayed that his advice was not useful), but Pero flies into a rage. Not at Casono or Gil, even, but rather at the Aragonese themselves. “Those dirty, feckless rats! Their king, captured, their lands taken, and all they can do is whine and moan! Stand up! Fight for your country! Take back your king by force!”

Pero throws the message into the fire. He storms out of his keep, Casono in tow. His guards follow him as he stomps toward the dungeon. “Get Silvestre! Bring him to the courtyard.” The beaten and defeated Silvestre is presented to Pero and his guards in the courtyard. Casono can guess at Pero’s intentions. “Sire, we should at least have a public execution. Let us inform the people so they can see.” Pero whirls on Casono, practically spitting with anger. “Hold your tongue. I listened to you once regarding this matter. I’ll not do so again.”

With that, Pero grabs the kneeling Silvestre’s hair and jerks his head upward. “You trot around enemy lands without an army. You allow yourself to be caught and defeated. Then you beg for your life. Your people have abandoned you. Just as they have abandoned their lands.”

And with no more ceremony than that, and only the 25 or so guards as witnesses, Pero raises Tizona high. The sunlight glints off the keen edge of the fantastic blade. The sword flashes downward, severing Silvestre’s head in one clean cut.

Pero turns toward Casono and leans in, whispering. “The next time you give me bad advice, it will be you kneeling in this courtyard.” Pero vows to never again offer to ransom captured enemy troops.

Gustavo da Cunha and Margarida have a daughter, whom they name Raquel. This new generation is key, as the older generation slowly begins to fade.

Duarte and his cobbled together army attack a large Aragonese army near Fes, under the command of a lowly captain. Duarte’s army matches up fairly well with the enemy, and Duarte sends his men forward confidently. The Aragonese set up on top of a steep hill, but Duarte uses his knights perfectly. They curl around both sides, devastating Aragon’s strongest infantry. Then, it’s just a matter of time until Duarte’s infantry and knights can meet in the middle. It is an easy victory and the first in Duarte’s career.

1283 is a year of tumult.

The Pope dies, and though the Aragonese bishops work tirelessly to push for one of them to be elected, another English Pope takes the seat in Rome. After more than 1200 years of being shut out of the papacy and countless excommunications and interdictions, England has a stranglehold on the power in the Church. More than 2/3 of all the Cardinals are English, and most of the rest are Norwegian Only one is Portuguese. While the Portuguese are happy enough with an ally in the new Pope, it may be a long time before Portugal again controls the Papacy.

Much more importantly, King Marcio dies. Having become more sickly in the past few years, Marcio is eventually bedridden. He lingers for nearly a week before finally passing away. Everyone in Toledo is certain he has gone straight to Heaven.

In one of his last lucid moments, while sick in bed, the King requested his royal scribe. The two shut themselves up for only about 5 minutes, with the scribe exiting soon after.

No one at court understands what it means. The messenger who brings news of the King’s death to Gil also bears the letter.

Gil has been expecting this moment for years. Still, he never wanted to be King, and actually dreads the experience. He knows it will be full of tedious meetings and boring courtly rituals. He had always held out hope that Marcio would have a son, or that someone else would be named heir. But Gil also takes his responsibilities incredibly seriously.

Sighing, he begins to pack his things for the long trek back to Toledo for the coronation. He is unlikely to ever return to Africa. Distracted by news of the King’s death, he had forgotten the messenger’s letter. Alone, he unseals it and spreads it onto the table in his room in Fes.

“Gil,
    I am near death. I can feel it closely. Each time I sleep, I expect to wake with Anthony of Padua. When you read this, I will be gone from this earth, hopefully within God’s embrace. You are the new King of Portugal. My uncle built this Kingdom. My father died to keep it together. And I rebuilt it.

You must lead it down a new path. I am the last de Portugal. I hope that you will have a son. But if not, you must choose the future of this Kingdom. I will not advise you in that respect; you have earned that much.

But I have one request. Pero must never become king. He will destroy everything we have fought for. He will tear the Kingdom apart. He must not be king.

Go with God.

-M”

Gil reads the letter, then rereads it, then again. He moves to throw it in the fire, but decides otherwise. In the end, he places it in a secret pocket in his overcoat.

Marcio’s letter is too late, as Gil has already made known that Pero will be his heir. Pero is his flesh and blood, and has proven himself the greatest Portuguese general in at least a generation, if not more. Gil sent a diplomat out as soon as news arrived of Marcio’s death. That diplomat is tasked with finding a suitable princess for Pero. The diplomat’s orders are clear: he is to present Pero as the heir to the throne. Even if Gil were inclined to choose a different heir, it is too late.

The next morning, Gil leaves for the long, slow trek to Toledo.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/15: Chapter 33)

Must not let Pero rule... hmmmmm.................. I can feel a twist in the story... great last 2 chapters mate!!
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Great update as always, and sad to see the end of a great dynasty that ruled for about 200 years. Hopefully the new one can continue to expand Portugal's power, though I can see somewhat why Marcio didn't want Pero to be king. It's not his military skill, nor his ruthlessness, it's his anger issues. It may lead him to making bad decisions, though we'll see if that comes to pass in the future. Keep up the great work.

Chapter 34: End of a Dynasty

With King Marcio’s death, the de Portugal line of kings has ended. Gaspar the Cruel still lives, exiled in Marrakesh. But he has no children and is near the end of his life himself, and has had to renounce his family name. Therefore, not only is Marcio the last de Portugal king, but also the last official de Portugal ever. After 180 years, 5 kings (Henrique, Afonso, Alexandre, Guilherme, and Marcio), and the ascension of Portugal to a major regional power, there will be no more men to bear the de Portugal name.

The lines live on, however, as Guilherme’s and Bartolomeu’s grandchildren and great-grandchildren live on through their daughters’ lines. If Gil and Pero die childless, many believe the next king will come from one of those lines. King Marcio’s nephew Duarte Brito (son of Marcio’s sister Brigida and her husband Celestino) is a possible candidate.

Soon after Gil begins his march to Toledo, his diplomat has found a suitable wife for Pero: Adelaide, a young Hungarian princess traveling in Italy. Though Pero is indifferent to the notion of marrying, he and Adelaide are indeed married late in 1283.

King Marcio’s reign was historic in many ways. He was the first King of Portugal (besides Henrique) whose own father was not king. His foray into central Europe was the first Portuguese Crusade; his success there was Portugal’s first expansion (however short-lived) outside of the Iberian Peninsula. His triumphant return ended the War of Crosses, and his execution of his cousin Miguel followed the killing of his own father, Bartolomeu, in the War itself. It also continued a dangerous precedent.

However, Marcio helped stabilize the Kingdom of Portugal, exterminating the Moorish Caliphate, pushing Aragon out of Europe, and establishing Portugal as a regional superpower, on the precipice of becoming a world power.

Portugal has firmly established itself astride the Strait of Gibraltar, the gateway between Africa and Western Europe. Though Portugal’s expansion has slowed considerably, there is a chance that the Portuguese will soon be able to sweep through northern Africa.

However, there is also a chance that Portugal will soon clash with England or the Papal States north of the Pyrenees.

As Aragon has been pushed out of Europe, they have compensated by taking over most of the Kingdom of Sicily’s lands in north-central Africa. While it gives Aragon greater flexibility in withstanding an assault by Portugal, it has also put them firmly against the Pope and the rest of Christendom.

In the meantime, the Fatimid Caliphate has dug in and continues to hold the entirety of the Holy Lands, as well as all of the ancient lands of Egypt.

However, the Fatimids are soon going to be under fire, literally, by the expanding Mongol Empire. In less than a century, the Mongols have decimated the once-formidable Khwarezmian Empire, and the Republic of Novgorod is also under pressure. The coming war between the Mongols and the Fatimids will almost certainly determine the fate of Asia, and perhaps Europe as well.

The Byzantines are having a difficult time holding off the Fatimids and the Kievan Rus, but the venerable Romans have maintained some semblance of their former glory, though they can hardly be called an empire any more.

The Kingdom of Norway has literally swept entire kingdoms off the map, as they continue their firm hold on central Europe. They are one of the most powerful kingdoms in the known world.

Norway’s main competitors at the moment are England and the Papal States. England destroyed the centuries-old Kingdom of France and were a big part of Aragon’s failures north of the Pyrenees. With a rock-solid alliance with Portugal, England may feel confident expanding eastward against their erstwhile enemy, the Norwegians.

The Pope’s forces have expanded dramatically during Marcio’s reign, taking the former lands of the Genoese and pushing themselves right to the Pyrenees, wedged between the English and the Portuguese.

The Papal States have continually clashed with heretical Aragonese forces. With their final European cities taken by Portugal, several large Aragonese armies have nowhere to go but east. Their upcoming battles with the Pope’s forces will not endear themselves to him.

Now that their foothold in the mainland is secure, the English have turned to securing their homelands. The war with Scotland is at a head, and the Scottish will be hard pressed to survive.

Despite being squeezed on all sides, both the Kingdom of Poland the Holy Roman Empire have managed to survive, though neither is really a kingdom anymore, much less an empire. Whether either will be able to hold on much longer is in serious doubt. Perhaps the emergence of the Teutonic Order to the north will help them both.

Portugal’s efforts against the still excommunicated Aragon have helped Marcio’s kingdom to curry favor with the Pope.

Rankings

Overall

1. Kingdom of Norway 580,000 (+47% since 1244)
    2. Byzantine Empire 560,000
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 510,000
    4. Mongol Empire 495,000 (+38%)
    5. Kievan Rus 400,000
    6. Kingdom of England 380,000
    7. Kingdom of Portugal 320,000 (+64%)
    12. Khwarezmian Empire 125,000 (-72%)
    13. Kingdom of Aragon 120,000 (-43%)

Military

1. Mongol Empire 530,000 (+2%)
    2. Kingdom of Norway 480,000 (+60%)
    3. Byzantine Empire 440,000
    4. Fatimid Caliphate 405,000
    5. Kingdom of England 400,000 (+116%)
    7. Kingdom of Portugal 185,000 (+54%)
    11. Kingdom of Aragon 130,000 (-27%)

Territories

1. Kingdom of Norway 27 (+29%)
    2. Mongol Empire 26
    3. Byzantine Empire 20 (-13%)
    4. Fatimid Caliphate 19
    5. Kingdom of Portugal 17 (+42%)
    7. Kingdom of England 15
    12. Kingdom of Aragon 6 (-33%)

Population

1. Kingdom of Norway 650,000 (+43%)
    2. Byzantine Empire 500,000
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 490,000
    4. Mongol Empire 440,000
    5. Kievan Rus 370,000
    6. Kingdom of England 360,000
    7. Kingdom of Portugal 325,000 (+60%)
    12. Kingdom of Aragon 130,000 (-28%)

The family tree of Portuguese nobles who can trace their lineage back to Henrique is quite large, spanning 7 generations and more than 80 men and women.

The elder generation of Portuguese leaders is slowly fading away, as the younger generals and governors are just beginning to take over.

The late Velasco de Benavide’s son-in-law Alexandre Amaral is loyal and a decent governor in Zaragoza. He isn’t likely to ever be a terrific leader in battle, but he will be useful as the kingdom stretches beyond the lands of Iberia.

Velasco’s other son-in-law, Vasco Cruz, looks a bit like a young Gil the Elder. However, he is not nearly the governor that Gil was. In addition, Vasco has already had several setbacks on the battlefield.

Velasco’s only son, Rui Meira, has the makings of a fine general. Not much of a governor, Rui is brave and loyal, and has excellent tactical skills. Whether he can learn the strategic skill necessary to effectively hold the key citadel at Pamplona is still uncertain.

With the King’s death, Andre Osorio is the last of the men who fought actively in the War of Crosses. Tabbed as Marcio’s right-hand man almost immediately upon the future King’s return from Crusade, Andre has been a leading figure in Portugal for nearly four decades. Finished with battle, the aging general now serves as Governor of the former capital in Seville. In addition, he is the current Grandmaster of the Order of the Knights of Santiago, one of the most honored positions in all of Western Europe.

Andre’s son Antonio is smart and a decent speaker, but he has not lived up to the expectations of his father. He is pious and relatively loyal, but he has suffered from physical ailments for years. He is somewhat bookish as a result. His chances of succeeding Gil or Pero as future king seem to be fading.

Antonio’s brother-in-law, Gustavo da Cunha, is a brilliant scholar and decent military man. He may be a key player in the next generation of Portuguese leaders, but he is more likely to be a governor than a military leader.

The late King’s nephew and son of the late Celestino de Villalobos, Duarte Brito is well respected by Portugal’s leaders. Duarte is intelligent and brave, but he treats his own people harshly, often more harshly than he treats his enemies. Still, King Gil encouraged his brother to make Duarte his heir apparent in case neither brother has children, and Pero has obliged him. Duarte may very well be the future King of Portugal.

Duarte’s sister Ana and her husband Salvador Gonçalves are happily married and living in Salamanca. Salvador is content serving as governor of the easily defended northern town. He has few ambitions beyond this mid-level post.

Duarte’s brother Sancho Santos is, like Duarte, a great orator. He is already a brilliant leader, inspiring the men that serve under him. He takes after Duarte in his harshness toward those he governs, as he sees a clear distinction between the noble knights and the unwashed peasants.

Duarte and Sancho’s brother, Lopo Lopes, is also known as a great speaker, but he is a bit more open-minded about dealing with the peasants. He believes that it takes an educated ruler to properly guide them. At only 19, he is cultured and ambitious and will challenge for one of the more prominent military or administrative posts. He may even make a play for the throne someday.

Gaspar the Cruel has become a bitter and vicious man. Though he survived his role in the War of Crosses, he saw his brother executed, was exiled from Portugal, and lost any chance of ever becoming king. Though he remained loyal to Marcio, he has become an incredibly cruel ruler. Ruling over former Moors in the far distant city of Marrakesh has made him mean. In addition, he has taken up the practice of seducing young boys. Fortunately for Gaspar, the inquisitors have not yet learned of this.

Alberto Leal, brother-in-law to the current and future Kings of Portugal, occupies a prominent position as governor of Valencia. He is very loyal to Gil, just as he was to Marcio. He is an excellent administrator.

King Gil is only an average military leader, but he makes up for it with excellent communication skills. He is a good judge of character and a master motivator and manipulator. He is precisely the kind of man that Portugal needs as a king, as he must focus on stabilizing and securing all the borders and managing potentially tense relations with England and the Papal States.

With no children of his own, Gil has named Pero his heir. While Pero’s new wife is very young and attractive, the Prince seems to have little interest in spending much time in their bedroom. Most of the court observers think it unlikely that Pero will produce a male heir. Still, Pero is several years younger than Gil and will probably outlive his brother. Pero is exactly the worst kind of man to be king right now: angry, unyielding, and irrational.

Many Portuguese see the late King Marcio as a Portuguese Caesar. And though publicly modest, Gil privately sees himself as a modern Augustus. Court observers fear that Pero will be another Nero.

No one foresaw the next Brutus.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/22: Chapter 34)

Whew. That was a difficult update for lots of reasons. The family tree alone took more than 5 hours. The pics and bios took quite a few hours as well. I hope everyone enjoys it. I think I am most proud of this chapter over any other, just because of the amount of work that went into it. Anyway, I am grateful that there are still some readers after all these months. I hope to keep things interesting.

I know that family tree is unmanageably huge, but there was no other good way to do it. After you are finished looking at it, if you click the spoiler button again, that will hide it. That will ensure that your text wraps to normal size again so that you don't have to scroll far to the right just to read.

I'll be a little more careful in the next family tree to make more room for the names if I can. Even as is, it was tricky. But maybe I can move the pictures a bit lower to make things more clear.

That update is EPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCC!!!

Thanks Bard! Love it!
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Thanks, Hull. I'm also going back to all the previous chapters and (finally) wrapping spoiler tags around all the images. That should make it much more convenient for anyone that wants to go back and reread a chapter (or new readers). It will take me a little while to do that for every chapter, but it is done for the first 5.

I'll impatiently wait for the next update! If I may give a little advice: You may grow stronger by focusing on building up instead of expanding.

But doing so will turn your Ennemies into sstronger foes.

Its a win-losse situation I would personnaly go for total war...
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Great update as always, and a great overview. Should be interesting to see how things go with England and the Papacy on your border.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am playing forward a bit. There is a big event coming soon, but not quite yet. Probably one chapter and then a twist in the second chapter. Hold on if you can.

Chapter 35: Vengeance

With Gil’s need to head to Toledo for the coronation, someone must head south to defend the newly taken city of Fes.

Duarte and an army cobbled together from Seville and Granada cross into Africa, almost immediately coming upon a large Aragonese army threatening both Fes and Marrakesh.

Duarte’s army heads forward, meeting Suero’s on the edge of a hill. As the infantry lines smash into each other, Duarte sends his jinettes and feudal knights around both edges.

The Portuguese cavalry quickly knife through the Aragonese archers behind their infantry lines. Suero himself charges the Portuguese knights, as Duarte throws himself and his own guards directly into the center of the enemy lines.

Suero is soon killed, and without any cavalry support, the Aragonese infantry are surrounded and routed.

Duarte’s victory relieves pressure on the city of Fes, enabling Gil and his army to head for Toledo. Duarte and his army take up the protection of the city, and the area remains quiet for several years.

Soon after Gil heads north, he learns that longtime governor Andre Osorio has died. Having supported Marcio for his entire life, Andre’s stable governing will be sorely missed.

In 1285, Gil and his army finally arrive in the capital. As he enters Toledo, thousands of citizens pour out of their homes and shops to watch him ride toward the castle. The coronation takes place early in the morning on June 3rd. Gil receives the crown from the Archbishop of Seville. The Archbishop’s role is entirely ceremonial, as the Church has no real say in who next becomes King, beyond certifying the last King’s will, which names his heir.

Still, Portugal is a bastion of Christianity, and nearly every Portuguese citizen closely follows the commands of the Pope and all his officials in Portugal. Not surprisingly, there is widespread support for Gil, from the people, the troops, and the Church.

After he is crowned, King Gil has to remain in the capital to deal with issues at the court. Bogged down with bureaucratic matters, he is unable to reinforce either the northern or southern fronts. In 1286, without Gil’s army for support, there is no way to defend Marrakesh from a large Aragonese army that slips by Fes to the south and heads for the southern city.

The army quickly marches south and besieges Gaspar’s garrison in Marrakesh, just as three large Aragonese armies arrive out of nowhere to threaten Barcelona. They are the remnants of Aragonese forces that were sent north and east from Barcelona before the city was taken by Portugal. Having marched hundreds of miles back toward their base, they find it occupied by their hated enemies, the Portuguese.

Pero and his garrison are besieged until Alexandre Amaral and Zaragoza’s entire garrison arrive to lift the siege. Pero and his garrison take advantage and march on the closest Aragonese army, with Alexandre and his army offering reinforcements.

Pero and his army meet the enemy in bright daylight in early summer. Pero raises Tizona, sunlight glinting off its impeccably sharp edge, and urges his men forward. Always hasty to fight, Pero refuses to wait for Alexandre’s army to arrive.

Dozens of feudal knights and Knights of Santiago line up, ready for battle.

The two armies move together, infantry leading the way. Suddenly, the enemy general, Salvador de Mansilla, charges forward at the head of his army.

Salvador’s guards begin to push the Portuguese infantry backwards, the Aragonese horses trampling Portuguese beneath their hooves. Pero and his own guards surge forward, cutting right through their own men to reach the enemy general.

Eventually, Pero and his knights help separate Salvador from his infantry. While the two armies’ infantry lines face off once again, a sea of Portuguese knights surround the Aragonese general.

Salvador, cut off from the rest of his army, is soon killed. Pero and his knights turn and charge the rear of the Aragonese lines. The entire enemy army is destroyed. Alexandre and his army don’t even get a chance to join the battle. Of course, Pero executes all the prisoners.

Duarte’s brother Sancho takes an army from Seville, Granada, and Cordoba south to help fight the Aragonese. Salvador Gonçalves and Vasco Cruz head east from Burgos to help Pero.

Vasco and his wife Leonor have a daughter who they also name Leonor. Prince Pero and his new wife Adelaide also have a daughter (Angelina), leading many to hope that he will yet have a son.

Duarte’s other brother Lopo marries Urraca Sousa, the stunning daughter of a local baron. Urraca rebuffs Lopo’s advances for more than a year before finally agreeing to marry him. Lopo convinces her with his assertions that he will one day be brother to a king.

The current brother to the king, Prince Pero, is furious at the Aragonese armies north of Barcelona. The thought of enemy troops in Portuguese territory infuriates him (as do most things). Prince Pero and the Barcelona garrison head north into the wilderness, seeking the remaining Aragonese armies. In 1288, Pero finds them.

Vastly outnumbered, Pero and his army attack anyway. Unfortunately, Pero’s army is pinched, with one of the enemy armies directly in front, and one out to the right side.

The enemy armies each march forward steadily. With no way to handle one army at a time, Pero must fight both simultaneously. With a huge disadvantage in numbers, the task is a difficult one.

Pero waits while he thinks about his options. There aren’t many. Suddenly, he shouts to his signalman. The young knight waves his signal banners in a complex pattern. A few seconds later, 60 feudal knights and 13 Knights of Santiago peel off and head east in an attempt to delay the reinforcing army, while the main Portuguese force faces off against the main Aragonese army.

Set upon by the fast-moving knights, several units of crossbowmen in the reinforcing Aragonese army rout immediately. However, the sword militia dig in and fight back.

Pero has little time to consider the consequences, as his main force has reached the main enemy army. All the feudal knights left in Pero’s main army charge the Aragonese merchant cavalry militia. The main infantry lines meet.

Courageous and foolhardy, even in his 60s, Pero charges straight into the center of the enemy line. Seeing that the center was held by mercenaries, he and his guards almost immediately rout the enemy macemen. However, they are bogged down in row upon row of Aragonese spearmen.

Frankish knights on Portugal’s right side skirt the infantry lines and charge directly into Portuguese Basque archers, devastating them. With that section’s knights all off taking on the reinforcing Aragonese, there is no support to protect the archers.

However, those 73 knights have essentially destroyed the entire 700-man reinforcing army. Meanwhile, the other Portuguese knights have destroyed all of the Aragonese cavalry and now turn into the enemy infantry line. The Frankish mercenary knights are only too happy to withdraw, and the main Aragonese army is eventually crushed.

Prince Pero continues to earn his nickname as “the Merciless,” as he puts nearly 700 men to the sword.

Pero and his army are trapped in Papal territory, far north of the border line, with Sicilian and Papal forces blocking his return to Barcelona.

Sancho heads for Gibraltar, but Gaspar is on his own in Marrakesh. Sancho is unlikely to arrive in time.

King Gil, angry at Aragon’s continued attacks, sends most of his veterans from Toledo to Seville. There, Sancho and Duarte’s brother Lopo takes command of them and begins to follow after his older brother.

The next year finds a shift in the relations of several of Portugal’s neighbors. England and Norway begin fighting along their mutual border, igniting a huge war between the two eminent powers in central Europe.

Then, with all Aragonese armies finally out of his newfound territory in Toulouse, the Pope signs a truce with Aragon. Gil and Pero both realize that their chance to strike back against Aragon without angering the Pope is fading.

On his trek against the Aragonese forces, Pero has become afflicted with pneumonia. Despite his ill health, he orders his army to board the Portuguese fleet just off the coast. Gil expect that he will return to Barcelona, but his younger brother remains impetuous.

Pero orders the fleet to the island of Palma, the only remaining Aragonese territory outside of Africa. Pero and his army land, encountering only token resistance. They soon discover that the new King of Aragon, Millan the Wise, is garrisoning the city alone. With Portugal’s navy controlling the entire western Mediterranean, there is no way for the King to head for the main Aragonese lands in Africa.

When Pero lands, he attacks a small force of Aragonese troops under the command of Tomas Silva, and the King’s forces are drawn in, as well as those of a medium sized reinforcing army.

During the battle, Pero’s army steamrolls each Aragonese army in turn, with the enemy fleeing back to the city.

With the city nearly defenseless, Pero prepares his attack. The Portuguese fleet admiral sends word that several passing merchant ships bring news that Pero will not like: the Pope has reconciled Aragon, making an further attacks against them illegal in the eyes of the Church.

Predictably, Pero ignores the news and assaults the city anyway, easily taking it and killing King Millan. Then, just for sheer sport, he sacks the city.

The Pope is not pleased.

Later that same year, the long awaited attack on Marrakesh comes.

Though he is slightly outnumbered, Gaspar is a cunning general. His pride demands that he hold the city.

However, Gaspar did not count on the Aragonese bringing mangonels and catapults with them. The siege engines begin to rock the castle walls with giant boulders thrown hundreds of yards.

After hours and hours of bombardment, the Aragonese knock a huge hole in the wall. Their jinettes follow straight into the gap.

The Portuguese spear militia brace themselves, trying desperately to hold against the enemy cavalry.

The defenders race to block the hole in the wall, while more than a thousand Aragonese rush to enter the city.

Two units of Aragonese javelinmen try to climb the walls with ladders but are easily repulsed by defenders. Gaspar sends his jinettes out of the gate to pepper the enemy’s flanks with javelins. The Aragonese become stuck in a tight bottleneck at the wall, with men in the ranks behind pushing their own men forward into the defenders.

A javelin strikes the enemy general in the back of his shoulder, driving him forward onto the point of a spear. With their general dead, the Aragonese try to rout, but Gaspar throws his entire force at them. Several hundred survivors flee, and Gaspar, uncharacteristically, releases a few hundred more. They flee hundreds of miles back to their city in the east in only a few weeks.

In 1290, a Portuguese Cardinal is elected Pope, breaking a string of three English Popes in a row. Gil and Pero hope to pressure him to support continued war against Aragon. It works, as the Pope loathes the Aragonese. Still, he is not happy with Portuguese aggression against their Christian neighbors.

Freed from having to rescue Marrakesh, Sancho and his army head east toward Aragonese territory. Lopo takes over control of Fes, and Duarte heads east as well. The three brothers, eventually immortalized as “the Adamastors” in fourteenth century Portuguese poems, are determined to destroy Aragon.

In 1292, the brothers’ young niece Luisa Gonçalves marries Pero de Matos, a mild-mannered local nobleman.

Rui Meira discovers the new Aragonese king, Snori the Wise, trapped near Pamplona. Convinced he must be the last of the Aragonese remnants, Rui takes a small part of Pamplona’s garrison and chases him down. Fleeing, the King is captured. Rui offers to ransom him to the Aragonese forces in Africa, but they again refuse, and yet another Aragonese king dies at the hands of the Portuguese.

Then Portugal finds its Brutus.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 3/2: Chapter 35)

Great update as always. Hopefully England will be too busy fighting Norway to bother you for a while, so you can finish Aragon. I look forward to the next update.

The Source's Avatar Senator

i like how you made it so only the kings eldest son will be the next kings, whihc adds a bit of historical and not many aars have this, they just simply pick the genrral with the highest chilvary, bravo

Thanks for everyone's continued interest. The next Chapter will be (I hope) an exciting one, though a bit different than what I've ever done so far. Bear with me, as I'm finding it tricky to figure out how exactly to do it.

As for having the next heir be the King's eldest son, I need to give a shout out and a couple caveats. I'm using Amaranth's "Next Heir Ancillary" submod, which allows you to essentially choose the heir-to-the-heir. You give the ancillary to the general you want to become the heir when the current faction leader or heir dies. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to do this, as the game would (usually) choose the most chivalrous general.

The caveats:

1) Sticking to salic law when possible makes things difficult when your kings do not have children (or boys, anyway).

2) It becomes very very hard to figure out who the "legal" heir should be sometimes.

Once Marcio had no sons, I had to trace through the entire family tree to decide who would and would not be eligible. Gaspar was ineligible for his role in the War of Crosses, so that meant there was no de Portugal man left. So I had to decide between following King Guilherme's line through a daughter (meaning the new would be foreign or half-Portuguese at best), picking a nephew of Marcio's that was half-Portuguese, or going with Gil, one of the few fully Portuguese generals left.

But it does make it much more interesting to roleplay.