Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (COMPLETED 7/24: EPILOGUE)

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 1/20: Chapter 27)

I honestly dont know my friend, I use Fraps for my screen shots and then I use photobuckets, so its just a matter of uploading the screens and use the image code photobucket provide to put in my AAR to give me my screens.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Great update as always. Aragon is really getting screwed, so hopefully once you killed enough Jihad armies you'll be able to take their homeland. How many factions are taking part in the Jihad?

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

do you adopt famly members?

Chapter 28: Always Darkest Before the Dawn

Shortly after the Aragonese ceasefire is rejected, Andre Osorio’s son, Antonio Osorio, comes of age in Silves, where Duarte Brito has also recently arrived.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It is too early to know what kind of man Antonio will be, but he does seem to share Duarte’s inclination toward administrative, rather than military, work. For now, the two young generals study in the southern city of Silves, which boasts one of the greatest education systems in all of Portugal, with a school, major library, and university.

Pero and Gil, with their united veteran army, march north from Marrakesh. Passing through deserts and mountain ranges, they eventually arrive near Fes. The two brothers argue over what their next step should be. Gil wants to return to Portugal to fortify Cordoba against Aragonese attack, with the potential for sending some of the veteran troops north to help King Marcio defend Toledo. Pero wants to assault Fes and press the attack eastward onto the rest of Aragon’s African colonies.

The brothers argue for more than an hour, until a scout rides up and makes the whole argument pointless. Two Aragonese armies, one large and the other small, block their path to either Fes or Portugal. They will have to be dealt with.

As King Marcio still has no children, Gil is the official heir to the throne, and increasingly likely to be the next king. However, Pero is the better military mind (though a bit reckless) and so he leads the army in battle. Gil is wary of attacking both enemy armies at the same time and presses Pero to attempt a night battle, but Pero is confident, and Gil concedes to his brother.

The Portuguese army is arrayed in a shallow basin, with the main Aragonese army up a moderately steep hill. The smaller reinforcing enemy army is far to the east at the moment, so Gil and Pero pay it little heed.

Pero and Gil line up behind the main infantry lines, waiting for the decisive moment of the battle. Aragonese trebuchets rain down rocks upon the Portuguese lines, and Portuguese feudal knights circle around to attack them.

Pero and Gil are soon caught unawares by the reinforcing enemy knights.

The two men and their guards fight viciously, giving no quarter. The enemy captain is soon killed, but nearly all of Pero’s own guards are also killed. Down to only himself and one guard, Pero is forced to retreat. Racing up the hill behind him, Pero and his guard are pursued by the enemy general, Domingo de Montilla. Gil can be of no help, as he and his own depleted bodyguard are fighting the remnants of the dead enemy captain’s guards. Pero is alone.

Forced again to flee, Pero races downhill into the thick of the fray, while Gil dispatches the remaining enemy guards and joins up with the feudal knights. Pero charges through the main lines, and he, his brother, and several dozen feudal knights return and smash into Domingo’s cavalry, unhorsing several. Domingo is run through by Gil’s own sword.

Leaderless and becoming engulfed by the remaining Portuguese knights, the Aragonese army melts away.

It is a decent, if uninspiring victory. The Portuguese army is more than halved, and both Gil and Pero are lucky to be alive. Pero himself received a fairly deep wound in his side, and Gil took a jarring hit to his helm. Fortunately, the two have learned a great deal about battlefield medicine from Muslim doctors in Marrakesh, and they will both survive.

The loss of nearly 450 men puts an end to any plans to assault Fes, and the two brothers and the depleted army retreat northward into Portuguese territory, leaving Gaspar to defend Marrakesh alone.

The Crusade against Toulouse in the north has brought several English and Papal armies. King Marcio is desperate to join (both to curry Papal favor and to help crush Aragon), but there are more pressing issues.

The King marches his now depleted army to the walls of Toledo, hoping to put pressure on the besieging Fatimid Jihad army. However, the Fatimid general in command, Tahir al-Jurjani, attacks in very early morning, before the King’s army can fully prepare. As a result, the Fatimid army nearly doubles the defending garrison at Toledo, under the command of Alberto Leal.

The Fatimids attack just before dawn in the middle of a thunderstorm. King Marcio’s troops are completely unaware and his army does not even know about the battle until hours after its conclusion.

The Fatimid’s rams and siege towers push forward steadily. The rain dampens the already low spirits of the defenders. But the constant BOOM of the castle’s cannon towers actually heartens them, in a way. The soldiers at the cannon target the ram first, desperate to keep it from reaching the gate. After four wild shots, two near misses, and a glancing blow, the eighth cannonball smashes into the front of the ram, shattering it.

The Fatimid siege towers roll on, though, striving to reach the walls on either side of the main gate. Facing two towers and at least two sets of ladders, Alberto’s troops will have a difficult time holding the outer walls. But fortune smiles on Portugal, for the cannon towers hit both siege towers flush several times in a row, utterly destroying them.

The invaders are now forced to rely on their ladders. Focused so greatly on the approaching ram and towers, Alberto forgets to properly cover the entire section of the eastern wall, and the Fatimids are nearly up the ladders before the defenders arrive.

A vicious and desperate fight occurs, as the bulk of the Fatimid army begins climbing the ladders, and the bulk of the Portuguese army races to cover them.

The fight on the walls becomes increasingly desperate for the Portuguese, as the Fatimid troops are at least their equals in quality and are motivated by a religious fervor unmatched even by the defenders’ dire position. It becomes a war of attrition, as a bottleneck forms at the ladders, with Fatimid warriors quickly climbing up to replace any that are killed. Several ladders are kicked down or broken, but still the Fatimids come.

In the meantime, the Fatimids bring up another ram, and this one survives to the gate. As dawn begins to break over Toledo, the main gate is smashed in. A few hundred swordsmen and men-at-arms are all that stands between the Fatimids and victory.

The rain stops, the clouds begin to drift away, and the sun begins to rise over the mountains. In this moment, more than a hundred white-clad horses emerge behind the Fatimid invaders! Alberto has sent his feudal knights out of the eastern gate. They charge hard into the backs of the men waiting to climb the ladders. The shock of the charge almost instantly routs the hundred Fatimid infantry on the ground, and shakes those that made it to the walls.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Fatimid army has given up trying to scale the walls and opts for a frontal assault through the broken gate. Dozens of defenders rush from the now abandoned walls to the main northern entryway.

In the shadow of one of the ruined siege towers, hundreds of feudal knights and jinettes fall upon the bulk of the Fatimid army.

Exhausted by a nearly decades-long march across Europe, far from their homes, and now set upon by such a ferocious foe, the Fatimid army buckles and routs.

In the aftermath of the battle, no one is able to find Tahir al-Jurjani’s body. No one can recall having seen the enemy leader fall, but no one remembers seeing him flee, either. Perhaps he is still alive in the Portuguese countryside, but with only a couple hundred exhausted and demoralized survivors, at most, he is a small threat.

The cannon towers have, again, proven their worth many times over. The ability to destroy enemy siege towers has been the difference in several defensive battles. Looking at the wreckage of the battle the next day, King Marcio ponders how to make these new cannons small enough to bring to the battlefield. He has heard rumors that some armies in the Holy Lands have done so, but his engineers claim it is impossible.

No new Jihading armies arrive over the next several years, but the King is wary. He hopes that the Fatimid invasion is over, but he knows there must be Khwarezmian armies out there somewhere. After all, they called the Jihad in the first place. Perhaps their generals grew tired of the long journey. Or perhaps Christian nations throughout Europe crushed them as they marched. If not, an even greater threat awaits. King Marcio thinks back to the Khwarezmian mercenary cavalry and shudders. Imagine if these horsemen fought not for money, but for their false god?

In the south, Gil and Pero go their separate ways again: Gil to Cordoba to coordinate the southern defenses against any possible Aragonese attack, and Pero to Seville. There, Gil’s younger brother gathers as many troops as can be spared and marches north. In 1268, Pero and his army join the Crusade against Toulouse with the full blessing of the King. Marcio wants to keep the pressure on Aragon, and he wants to ensure that they are not soon reconciled with the Pope.

That same year, Velasco's daughter Leonor Araujo marries a fine Portuguese nobleman, Vasco Cruz. He is a unique man, as he treats women exceedingly well, despite being little inclined toward religion. And he is of at least average loyalty, though he owes nothing to the king. He is also a military man, and at just 28, may prove useful in the coming battles.

The King himself, now 63 years old, returns to the capital of Toledo. It is his first real rest in many years. His life has been one of almost constant war. It is likely the reason for his lack of children. With his wife also now in her 60s, the crown will almost assuredly pass to Gil in the coming years.

Gil’s lack of a wife, let alone any children, has caused whispers among the people. Pero’s own lack of a wife or children has only increased the rumors. Some speak of a tendency toward boys rather than women, while others claim the two are warrior-monks, celibate for reasons of piety. Darker rumors persist about connections to the Templars.

Whatever the true reasons, Gil’s and Pero’s lack of children, along with Marcio’s own, is a troubling sign for the kingdom. Assuming Marcio dies childless, the de Portugal line of kings will end. Gaspar is also, technically a de Portugal back through several male lines, but he is exiled, forced to relinquish any claim. Plus, he has no children of his own.

If the crown passes to Gil, it will be the first time in more than 160 years that anyone other than a de Portugal reigns over Portugal. The shift will not be an easy one. More troubling is that if neither Gil nor Pero have children, the crown will then pass to a seemingly random relative. Celestino is the King’s brother-in-law. Both he and Velasco have several excellent candidates in their family, but both men are foreign, and Aragonese at that.

Perhaps the crown will fall to Andre Osorio’s son Antonio. Married to the previous king’s daughter, Joana, Andre has been a key supporter of Marcio from the very beginning. Were he a member of the royal line himself, Marcio might have chosen him as his heir. He is Portuguese, and Joana is the middle daughter of the late King Guilherme. Still, with so much jostling of the crown in the coming years, it is likely that there will be unrest, among the people at least, if not also among the royal family. Marcio would do anything to avoid another rebellion. Perhaps an answer will appear.

For now, Marcio settles in to his court at Toledo, content to survey his lands and wait for any invading Jihad armies.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 1/23: Chapter 28)

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Nothing seemed to fix it this time, though I tried both having imageshack resize to 800 pixels for some of the pics and "optimize without resizing" for others. It didn't seem to make any real difference. I think it is a matter of the pics being smaller when I cut them, losing some quality when I compress them, and then losing more when imageshack resizes them. I'll keep trying things to make the quality better.

dezikeizer: I think there are only two factions in the Jihad: Fatimids and Khwarezmians. The Seljuks and Moors are gone, and I don't know what's going on with the Cumans, if they are even Muslim? And I don't know if there are any others. I don't remember any war declarations from anyone else.

Lord Minotaur: I don't adopt family members. I do marry princesses to non-Portuguese generals when possible, but I'll also settle for Portuguese ones if necessary. Celestino and Velasco are both Aragonese. I try to keep the crown in the same family line for as long as possible, and I try to follow salic law as much as I can. Every king has been a de Portugal so far, but that will probably change after Marcio, since he has no kids. He and Gaspar are the last of the line.

hull19's Avatar Ordinarius

Back from a little time off from here... and I find 3 new chapters to read

Loved them all! I suppose that the remaining factions are very big or very small and about to be crushed
    SS 6.4, Eras 2.3, DotS Project
    The first computer you had always was the best.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Great update as always. Hopefully you'll be able to take the province of Aragon itself soon, and finally control the Iberian Peninsula. As for the end of the dynastic line, it'll certainly make for an interesting story, and I'm very interested in seeing what happens with it. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I haven't been able to make any real inroads into Aragon yet because they just keep pumping out troops. But I'm hoping that will change soon. I am hopeful that I can get at least one chapter up this weekend. I will make sure to get both a world map pic with Fog of War off and a pic of the Family Tree.

Chapter 29: Defending the Homeland

It is the year 1269. The Portuguese capital of Toledo remains under constant threat of invasion by Jihading Muslim armies. Aragon continues to push back against Portuguese aggression in the north and the south.

The Portuguese family tree is quite substantial, spanning five generations and six de Portugal kings from Henrique to Marcio. The generation before Marcio has died out, and the King’s generation is also beginning to fade, with Velasco’s death in 1263, and Diego de Penalosa’s death years earlier. Now, besides Gil and Pero and their brothers-in-law, an aging Andre Osorio, Celestino de Villalobos, and the King himself are all that remain of the great generation that fought the civil war and stabilized the country in its aftermath. Gaspar de Portugal has become a cruel leader in Marrakesh, oppressing the Muslim citizens that he despises.

In terms of military control, much of the world has changed little in the past few decades.

Portugal retains the Iberian peninsula but is unable to conquer Aragon, which maintains its power base in the Pyrenees Mountains and still has considerable colonies in Africa.

England has consolidated its holdings in the former lands of France and has reconciled its standing with the Papal States, but remains completely unable to exterminate the Scots.

Norway continues to be the dominant power in central Europe, holding dominion over all the former lands of the Holy Roman Empire and Scandinavia.

Sicily has had to deal with a resurgent and increasingly expansionist Papal States, though the Sicilians have held onto southern Italy and the wealthy colonies in central North Africa.

Venice, Poland, the Holy Roman Empire, the Teutonic Order, the Cumans, and several other small kingdoms have held on but are always at risk of destruction, pressed from all sides by larger and more powerful neighbors.

The Byzantine Empire has relinquished some of its former lands in the eastern Mediterranean to the Fatimids, but the real descendants of the Romans have held strong in their prosperous lands of Greece and Asia Minor.

The greatest shift has occurred in the east, where the Mongols have split the Khwarezmians in twain.

The Kievan Rus and Novgorod fight for scraps of the declining Khwarezmian Empire, but will soon face the wrath of a united Mongol force.

The Fatimids are better prepared for the Mongols, but are isolated from allies, with only one remaining Muslim neighbor.

The Mongols are a devastating force that continues to roll through the steppes of Asia into the Caucasus.

Meanwhile, the Knights of Santiago set up their Major Chapter House in Valencia, signing an agreement with Marcio that guarantees their safety and property rights in exchange for access to elite Christian knights.

Soon, yet another Fatimid Jihad army reaches the gates of Toledo, where an aging and increasingly infirm Marcio holds court. The inexperienced Vasco Cruz takes the garrison and marches on Hamid al-Uthmani’s army.

Vasco sets up his army on a small rise facing the Fatimids to the east, with the dawning sun in their face.

Concerned about the Mamluk cavalry on his army’s right flank, Vasco sends two units of his feudal knights forward to attack them.

The Mamluks are able to fight the knights to a standstill, leaving the Portuguese archers at risk. More Mamluks charge forward, hitting the men-at-arms tasked with defending the archers. Vasco circles and boldly charges into the rear of the Mamluks.

The feudal knights finally defeat the Mamluks on the right, but Vasco’s small force of bodyguards dwindles. The men-at-arms flee, the middle of the Portuguese line buckles, and the diminished feudal knights are unable to stop the Fatimid advance.

Vasco calls for a withdrawal, but it is already a full-on rout.

It is a resounding defeat. Vasco’s army is utterly destroyed, the Fatimids execute all prisoners, and the enemy army is almost fully intact. Toledo is at serious risk of succumbing to the latest wave of the Jihad. Al-Uthmani besieges the capital later that year.

With Pero Crusading against Toulouse and Toledo nearly defenseless, it falls to Gil to attempt a rescue.
    The entire kingdom is abuzz at Gil’s recent wedding. At the age of 49, Gil marries Cristina Pedroso, a highly placed Portuguese noblewoman and an erstwhile companion to Gil for more than 10 years.

However, the marriage has done little to quell the rumors, as Cristina is in her mid-40s herself, and likely beyond her childbearing years. The people continue to whisper about Gil and his brother. “Why not marry a young lass?” “I hear they spend their nights apart.”

Regardless, Gil and his army from the south move toward Toledo.

Pero’s Crusade is stymied when the Papal States conquer the Aragonese city of Toulouse. He had just arrived at the city the previous year, having marched through hundreds of miles of enemy territory. One way or another, he will have his Aragonese blood.

Gil and his small army race to Toledo, where they find the Fatimids about to assault the castle. A large army of reinforcements has arrived from Valencia, but they are led by an incompetent captain. And the King’s health has deteriorated rapidly. This will be his last battle.

On paper, the Portuguese have an overwhelming force. But they are split into three groups. Gil’s army is dwarfed by the Fatimids, and the main Portuguese force is led by a mere captain. The King is beyond battle, and Vasco’s confidence was shattered in the recent defeat. Gil is no coward, but as his army approaches an enemy nearly double their size, he dearly wishes that Pero were here.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 1/28: Chapter 29)

Great as always. Judging from the numbers you'll probably overwhelm them, it's just a matter of how many you'll lose. Hopefully the Jihad will end soon.

Thanks, Dezikeizer.

I've only been able to play ahead a few years because of a nasty CTD/freeze bug with an upcoming battle. I tried everything I could think of to get around it (moving characters, changing army composition, waiting a turn) and I finally got past it. But it took forever.

So I'm only a few years ahead and nothing exciting enough has happened yet for me to post another chapter, yet. I'd like to get one more chapter in this week at least.

Chapter 30: At the Brink

With little choice but to attack the besieging Fatimids, Gil arrays his army in a shallow valley.

Gil knows he has little chance to defeat or even hold off al-Uthmani’s army for long; his only option is to delay the Fatimids for as long as possible, in the hopes that either Captain Cristovao or King Marcio will be able to reinforce him in time. He hopes that the slopes on either side of his army will help create a bottleneck.

Gil sends his 60 jinettes up the left slope to attack al-Uthmani’s cavalry.

The jinettes cause disarray amongst the enemy light cavalry and mamluks, but they cannot hold them off forever. Gil sends his archers and javelinmen up the middle, intending to hold for as long as possible. Instead, the Portuguese archers are almost immediately set upon by dozens of Fatimid cavalry.

Feeling his army about to break, Gil himself swings around and charges the attacking cavalry.

Gil and his guards destroy that unit of cavalry almost instantly, but dozens more rush forward, all hoping to win the honor of killing the Portuguese heir.

Gil and his cavalry charge again and again.

Though Gil’s charges cause great damage to the enemy army, it is simply not enough. His archers and javelinmen rout, and the jinettes, now out of javelins themselves, flee as well. Gil’s army washes away.
    The prince and his bodyguards realize, belatedly, that they are nearly alone. Unsupported by any other troops, they try to retreat. But enemies close in around them, cutting off escape.

At nearly the last second, both reinforcing Portuguese armies arrive, smashing into the rear of the Fatimids. Gil is able to make an ignominious withdrawal.

King Marcio’s army tracks down al-Uthmani, and one of the King’s knights delivers the fatal blow. Leaderless, the Fatimids fall apart and are routed.

It is a huge victory, and while Gil’s embarrassment at his near defeat is obvious, the King thanks him for his service. Gil’s efforts enabled the King and Captain Cristovao to come upon the Fatimids unawares; without Gil’s army, the battle might have gone very differently.

Plus, within weeks, Portuguese spies and diplomats discover that there are no more Fatimid or Khwarezmian armies within thousands of miles. It would seem that despite difficult odds, Toledo has successfully held off the Jihad!

Pero’s own aborted Crusade only causes his anger to rise even more. The reckless general purposefully passes too close to Barcelona with his army, goading the Aragonese into an attack. And the Aragonese are only too happy to rise to the bait.

A non-descript Aragonese captain brings 1100 men to the battle, but it is the reinforcing army that presents the greater threat; Prince Isidro himself brings nearly as many men to the battle as Pero. Prince Isidro is renowned as the greatest general Aragon has seen in at least a generation. His exploits against the English and the Papal States are known throughout Europe.

Even outnumbered by more than 2 to 1, facing off against his greatest foe in decades, Pero is undaunted. He sets up his defenses on the top of a hill, facing off against the larger Aragonese force. A deep depression to the right of the Portuguese lines leaves only a narrow pathway to serve as a straight line between the armies.

However, Pero soon realizes that Prince Isidro’s army is coming from the far right, and quickly. Pero is forced to abandon his initial plan of first defeating the larger enemy force before turning to take on the Aragonese prince. Instead, Pero and several hundred of his defenders race off to the right to meet Isidro head on.

Most of the men that he leaves to fight the larger enemy force are elite Crusaders, veteran nobles keen on crushing the hated Aragonese. Pero is certain they will hold.

Prince Isidro and his guards fly ahead of their army, charging into dozens of Pero’s Crusader knights. Pero is not far behind, and he soon smashes into Isidro’s flank.

The two impetuous generals and their guards fight for many long minutes, hacking and slashing at each other. While Pero’s sword is made of the finest Portuguese steel, it pales in comparison to Isidro’s sword. Isidro wields Tizona, one of the famed swords of the great Castilian hero El Cid, Rodrigo Diaz. Made of Damascus steel, Tizona is the greatest sword in all of western Europe.

Isidro is a fearsome warrior, and Tizona cuts deep into Pero’s left arm. Gravely wounded, Pero barely manages to stay on his horse. Prince Isidro pushes forward brazenly, and Pero is nearly overcome. He parries two slashes, but slips from his horse. As Isidro leans forward to finish him off, one of Pero’s guards, Casono, charges forward and jars Isidro. Tizona slips from his grasp, and Casono deals the fatal blow. Later, when examining Isidro’s body, they will find that he fought on despite more than a dozen deep wounds.

Pero, meanwhile, is injured but alive. His guards crowd around him, protecting him. The rest of Pero’s army is emboldened at the death of Isidro and charges forward aggressively. Distraught at the death of their hero, Isidro’s army flees. The other Aragonese army crumbles soon after.

With Pero gravely injured and their army cut in half, the Portuguese are forced to retreat. With no safe passage over land from Barcelona to Valencia, Casono takes command and orders a withdrawal to Portuguese ships waiting at the nearby beach. First, though, he executes all enemy prisoners, following Pero’s orders.

Pero is carefully lain on bedding on one of the ships. He demands to see Isidro’s famed sword. Casono himself recovered it from the battlefield and brings it to his beloved leader. With his uninjured right hand, Pero holds the blade, examining the wave patterns in the steel.

As the Portuguese army flees on board ships, Pero vows that Tizona will soon taste Aragonese blood.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/2: Chapter 30)

Great as always, now that the Jihad is over you can focus on the Aragonese fully. Hopefully Pero and Gil will live for a while yet, so that they can finish the job. Keep up the great work. +rep

Great read so far! Getting caught up from the beginning.

Nice job on this new chapter !

Can't wait to finaly see Aragon destroyed...... in quite some time i guess
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

Love this AAR and you're doing great but holy crap! Look at Norway!
    "If History is deprived of the truth, we are left with nothing but an idle, unprofitable tale." - Polybius
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Thanks for all the positive comments! The comments often help motivate me to play/write this, so I appreciate them.

One quick question: Did everyone know to click on the "Tizona" link to see the image of the real Tizona sword in Burgos? If not, I can make it a spoiler tag to make it more obvious.

dezikeizer: Thanks! I am really hoping to put some pressure on Aragon while they remain excommunicated. We'll see.

Beer Money: Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Take your time, as there are 30 chapters, and I'm also a few days away from any new updates. I'm planning on taking this AAR at least until cannons in Iberia. That should be something like 1320 or later, another 50 years beyond where I am now. We'll see how things go after that.

hull19: I am so sick of fighting Aragon! Since Leon's demise, I've only fought Aragon and the Moors. That's been more than 50 years, I think.

CamilleBonparte: Thanks. I am actually hoping England and Norway (along with Sicily and the Papal States) will keep things interesting. I usually start to lose interest in a campaign once my kingdom is essentially dominating everyone. I don't see that happening for a while, hopefully.

Hey Bard... just to tell you a little something!

I am playing Late Era Sicily. I have dominated and completely destroyed (in order) Venice, Lithuania (crusading!), Genoa, Greece and Byzantium, Fatamid, Turks. And taken most of northern Africa + rebel Marseille and payed France for Toulouse.

And you now what? I completely fkin destroyed Aragon in 2(3) battles!!! How you ask me?
    1 Battle: Huge attack on the island of Ajaccio. I compeltely destroyed their 2 full stacks thanks to my Norman Knights! Killed 2 or 3 generals.
    2 Battle: Killed the King in Barcelona on the same turn, pay back for the attack on Ajaccio!

3 Battle: The Pope ordered us to stop fighting. I planned a mass attack with 5 Generals from Marseille and Toulouse to totaly destroy Aragon in 2 turns. But they started camping 2 new fulls stacks + a captain on Ajaccio... AGAIN! After 5 turns, both of us respecting the orsder of the Pope, I lost patience.
    In an epic fight of around 10000 soldiers (Aragon: 7000 Sicily 3000), I won and utterly killed all Aragon soldier. And guest what? The first army contained the King and a General. The second the Heir... and the third a Captain. Aragon lands rebelled since no one was left to rule them.

That was the shortest faction killing I have ever done! 2(3) battles only! I must say that the last one was huge (seriously, 3 armies for my forteresse? Why didn't they go for Marseille or Barcelona? Or Toulouse? Much closer!)

I am still amazed about the last battle.... my computer almost died from the starting lag Luckily for me, I was building a full stack in Ajaccio of Sicilio-Norman Knights and Dismounted Knights + so archers/crossbowmen. I played it tacticaly, with the use of Trebuchet on the General units. I was somewhat socked that I had won. Aragon had some pretty heavily armoured units/cavalry!!
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

Chapter 31: Into Africa

After the battle at Barcelona, Pero and his army retreat to Valencia to recuperate. Pero’s left arm heals, somewhat, but it will never regain full strength.

In 1272, the King’s brother-in-law Celestino de Villalobos dies (at the age of 63), as does Gil and Pero’s brother-in-law, Joaquim de Azevedo (at the age of 68). Both men served Marcio well, and the Kingdom will miss their steady veteran leadership.

Aragon begins sending small raiding parties into Portuguese lands, attempting to sow insurrection. These small armies are easily dealt with by the garrisons in Pamplona, Burgos, and Valencia. Gil heads back to the south to help head off Aragonese invasions from Africa, while his brother Pero gathers reinforcements from Valencia and heads back into Aragonese territory.

The next several years are a series of small, but important victories. Gil destroys a small invading army near Gibraltar, Vasco Cruz kills the Aragonese heir, Prince Gregorio and his small army, and Pero decimates a large Aragonese force northeast of Valencia.

The late Velasco’s daughter, Violante Garcia is introduced to the Portuguese Baron, Alexandre Amaral. Despite his lofty title (which is out of proportion to his minimal landholdings), Alexandre is a humble man. A great admirer of Velasco, he becomes infatuated with Violante. She is wooed by Alexandre, who plies her with many tales about her father. Eventually, she marries Alexandre.

Then, the late Celestino’s daughter, Ana Pais, marries Salvador Gonçalves, another lower Portuguese nobleman. Salvador is far less humble than Alexandre, however, and is often seen meeting with rather seedy characters. There are many who are skeptical of the young Salvador’s loyalties.

Ana’s brother Sancho Santos soon comes of age in the capital of Toledo.

Sancho is an interesting and contradictory young man: honest, but harsh toward his servants. Many of the advisors at court say he reminds them of a young Pero Bandeira. Others think he will take after Gil the Elder, or perhaps even his own uncle, the King.

Not all the news concerning the royal family is good, however. Queen Guiomar is unable to attend Ana’s wedding, as she has taken ill. She lives just long enough to hear tell of its grandeur. With his wife dead, King Marcio is destined to be the last of the de Portugal kings.

Then, within a few weeks, Gil and Pero’s mother Eva dies as well.

After several weeks grieving for his mother, Pero presses onward into Aragonese lands. Meanwhile, Rui Meira leaves Pamplona with a huge army, pushing toward the Aragonese stronghold at Zaragoza. Pero does the same. Soon, both armies converge and besiege the city.

Vasco Cruz reinforces Valencia’s garrison, hiring and training professional troops. Alexandre Amaral does the same in Pamplona.

In 1275, the Portuguese Pope dies. While the Portuguese bishops are unable to elect one of their own, Portugal’s close ally England takes over the papacy for the first time. After decades of excommunication and interdiction, it is a stunning reversal for England. While not nearly as useful as having a Portuguese Pope, the aging Marcio is pleased to have a close ally in Rome.

More importantly, the English Pope refuses to reconcile Aragon, leaving them open to continued attacks from their Christian neighbors. The Papal States themselves have expanded westward all the way to Toulouse, leading toward some difficult border disputes between the English Pope and the English King.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, Gil gathers hundreds of troops from Seville and the mountain fortress of Granada, pushing south into the African Aragonese colonies. Shortly after, he assaults the city of Fes.

The defending garrison is an equal match for Gil’s army, at least in terms of quantity. Plus, they have the advantage of defending from the city walls. However, Gil has become quite the strategist (though not the tactician that his brother is). The battle will undoubtedly be a close one.

Gil’s army lines up across the desert sands, facing the former city of the Moors.

The siege towers move forward, bringing Portuguese troops to the walls on both the left and right of the gate towers. Light men-at-arms to the left and right charge onto the walls, but face determined resistance. Those on the left are attacked by Aragonese feudal foot knights, the best infantry Aragon offers. The men-at-arms on the right are likewise surrounded. Both units face near certain annihilation.

Portuguese Lusitanian javelinmen destroy the gates with rams. Nearly a hundred javelinmen pepper the defenders with their missiles, while dozens of light men-at-arms charge forward.

Inside the gates, though, the attacking infantry meet stiff and determined resistance. Hundreds of Aragonese militia and light infantry block the entrance to the city.

At this point, the men-at-arms on the rightmost walls are slaughtered by the defending feudal foot knights. The men-at-arms on the left are devastated and nearly destroyed, a few dozen survivors saved only by the timely reinforcement of Portuguese feudal foot knights. With so many men tied up in battles on the walls, the Portuguese army has too few men to break through at the gates.

With his infantry unable to enter the city, and dwindling options to choose from, Gil makes a bold choice. He and more than 100 mounted knights (including some of the elite Knights of Santiago) charge directly into the mass of defenders at the gate. They immediately become bogged down, facing dozens of spearmen and swordsmen.

Surrounded by enemy spearmen, Gil and his guard slowly start to fall. Charging forward with all his will, Gil somehow punches through the wave of defenders. Most of the other knights make it through as well. Behind the defenders, Gil and his knights are able to turn around and charge into the enemy flanks.

The defenders at the gates are crushed, caught between Gil’s knights and the assaulting infantry. They stand little chance.

As the defenders at the gate start to break and race for the city square, Gil and his knights chase them down and capture them. The Portuguese infantry pour into the city, and the battle is soon over.

Though not a flawless victory, Gil’s army has done well. Facing equal odds and entrenched defenders, the Portuguese have conquered yet another Aragonese city, truly putting their enemy back on their heels.

Soon, Pero and Rui will seek to do the same at Zaragoza.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 2/8: Chapter 31)

I wish those Aragonese bastards would jsut die! Maybe you'll get luck like I did in my post right overs yours? I can't believe you still are fighting one city at a time... for ever and always.... and still staying "interested" in the game.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011