Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (COMPLETED 7/24: EPILOGUE)

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/5: Chapter 11)

Nice update! Yes, getting kids is an issue in 6.3, it's like a generation skip, but eventually they come.

Very good update, I see your military strength is improving. Keep up the good work!

Chapter 12: The Rising Tide

Upon King Alexandre’s death in the year 1200, the Kingdom of Portugal is a rising power in Spain. The Moors remain stranded in Africa, and with the Aragonese taking the city of Fes, the Moors have no real gateway back into the European mainland. The Kingdom of Aragon itself has also become a regional power, taking lands from France and the Moors. The Kingdom of Leon, on the other hand, has been pressured on all sides, including Portugal to the west, the Moors to the south, and its ally Aragon to the east.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rankings

Overall
    1. Byzantine Empire 595,000 (+86% since 1053)
    2. Khwarezmian Empire 500,000 (+108%)
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 360,000
    4. Kingdom of England 245,000
    5. Kingdom of Norway 215,000
    10. Kingdom of Aragon 150,000
    12. Kingdom of Portugal 130,000 (+189%)
    17. Kingdom of León 60,000 (-29%)
    22. Moorish Caliphate 25,000 (-73%)

Military
    1. Byzantine Empire 485,000
    2. Khwarezmian Empire 350,000 (+150%)
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 300,000
    4. Kingdom of Genoa 170,000
    5. Kingdom of England 165,000
    11. Kingdom of Aragon 100,000
    15. Kingdom of Portugal 55,000 (+22%)
    18. Kingdom of León 30,000 (-60%)
    22. Moorish Caliphate 10,000 (-78%)

Territorial
    1. Khwarezmian Empire 28 (+87%)
    2. Byzantine Empire 26
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 17
    4. Kingdom of Norway 13
    5. Kingdom of England 13
    8. Kingdom of Portugal 9 (+80%)
    9. Kingdom of Aragon 8
    17. Kingdom of León 3 (-40%)
    22. Moorish Caliphate 2 (-71%)

Population
    1. Khwarezmian Empire 540,000
    2. Byzantine Empire 490,000
    3. Fatimid Caliphate 300,000
    4. Kingdom of England 240,000
    5. Kingdom of Norway 225,000
    10. Kingdom of Portugal 135,000 (+170%)
    11. Kingdom of Aragon 130,000
    17. Kingdom of León 60,000 (+0%)
    22. Moorish Caliphate 25,000 (-74%)

In addition to vastly increasing the size of the Kingdom, Alexandre helped to cripple two of Portugal’s enemies: the Moors and León. The Moors are now largely irrelevant, relegated to only two provinces in distant Africa; the Kingdom of León continues to fight, but is protected primarily by the Pope’s word. Though currently neutral toward one another, another large confrontation between Aragon and Portugal looms large. The winner will control all of Spain.

The family tree of the Kingdom of Portugal has grown tremendously, as well. Everyone from Alexandre’s generation is dead, save for Alberto de Castelo and Fernao’s aging wife Beatriz.

The new generation has taken over, led by the charismatic and brilliant new king, Guilherme de Portugal. Intelligent, well educated, handsome, and a true friend to his people, King Guilherme has the makings of a legendary leader…despite some odd views about spirits that whisper to him in the night.

The King’s younger brother, Bartolomeu, serves as the heir for now. Guilherme has spent too much time in the battlefield to find a wife, and he has reached middle age still unmarried and without any sons. Bartolomeu is nearly as smart as his older brother, but has inherited some of Salvador’s adoration for drink. The Prince is also an awkward, shy man who dreads the possibility of becoming King.

The late Fernao’s eldest son, Marcio, is a bit of a contradiction. He is an excellent strategist, but does poorly when forced to personally command an army of infantry. He is miserly and treats women poorly, earning him the nickname “the Mean,” but he treats his subjects well and is always celebrating with his men.

After Filipe’s death, Estevao is Marcio’s only living brother. He has his brother’s inability command an infantry army, but is well-liked by almost everyone in the Kingdom. He does, however, harbor a seething, secret rage at his lack of access to real power. Even the short distance from the royal line means he has little access to the King, and he has been overshadowed by first his father, and then his brother, his whole life.

Estevao’s and Marcio’s brother-in-law, Pepin Capet, is a Frenchman of the finest sort. Intelligent and boisterous, Pepin hates the English, as all Frenchmen should. Pepin would be a powerful man in France. Unfortunately, he is in Portugal. Still, he is content with his lot and secretly hopes for a chance to fight the English again.

The late Salvador Bandeira’s only son, Gil, is a natural leader. A wonderful speaker and a trusting, gentle man, Gil is an excellent governor in Silves. In many ways, he resembles his great uncle Sebastiao more than his own father.

One of Gil’s brothers-in-law, Agostinho Vasconcelos is a formerly fierce warrior who now concentrates on defending and ruling the key city of Cordoba.

Gil’s other brother-in-law, Gaspar Moniz is a bland, boring man. Neither ambitious nor cunning, the King accepts Gaspar as a useful administrator and little more.

Miguel de Castelo, on the other hand, is both cunning and ambitious. After years of protecting Granada, Miguel has become famous for the close victory that won Murcia for the Portuguese. He hates the Leonese nearly as much as they hate him.

Miguel’s brother Diogo is the greatest and most accomplished living Portuguese general, surpassing even the King himself. A wondrous strategist and tactician, Diogo is always spoiling for a fight with someone, whether it be León, Aragon, or the Moors. He is unlikely to stay cooped up in the city of León for long, as he reminds many of Salvador in his earlier impetuous years. Having married the most beautiful woman in Spain, Princess Angelina, Diogo finds himself the envy, and possibly the enemy, of many in Portugal.

Their father Alberto is semi-retired from public life, though he still holds control over Granada in the mountains. Content to rule the city in which he has spent decades, Alberto has lived to see his sons become two of the most powerful men in the Kingdom, and he has seen one marry into the royal line. If neither Guilherme nor Bartolomeu have an heir, perhaps a miracle will lead the 45-year old Angelina to become mother to a future king.

Just to give everyone an idea of what is going on, I turned off Fog of War and took a screenshot.

The most shocking development to me is that Aragon has really established a huge presence in northern Africa. I looked to see where the Moors’ other territory is, but that one large one looks like it. Maybe they are in the midst of losing one, or the rankings in 1201 don’t yet show that they have 1 and not 2. Either way, they are on the way out.

Sicily has also created a strong presence in central north Africa, forcing the Fatimids to the east.
    France is likewise nearly gone, as England has run roughshod over them (though has yet to defeat Scotland somehow). It looks like perhaps Poland (I think?) will be the next faction to fall, as there is one white territory left in eastern Europe. The Khwarezmian Empire is huge, though they will eventually have to contend with the Mongols within the next 50-100 turns.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/6: Chapter 12)

Goodness.
    I'm guessing that the Persians and the Fatimids shall grind one another to a halt.
    In italy, I'm guessing that venice, England and Aragon will gang up on Genoa.
    Norway will become stronger and stronger.
    And the Byzantines shall stagnate.
    Thus I predict.
    Anyways, thanks heaps for the maps. Much appreciated.

Interesting predictions. + rep

Siciliy has an interesting power base in southern Italy and central northern Africa. I'm hoping they will clash with Aragon. I've gone out of my way to build alliances in the anti-Aragonese/Leonese bloc. That's why I allied with England and Genoa a long time ago, which has now worked out well, as both have become fairly strong.

I just realized that the Seljuks (green) are almost gone as well. I assume K-Shah will finish them (fatality!) pretty soon. Also, is that white faction Poland or Lithuania (or someone else)? I didn't get a chance to look closely.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

Thank you for such an informative posts, its good to know the current status of the world. I must say, I'm shocked at the size of the Persian Empire. My god, they are huge. However, you are right, once the Mongol appears, I doubt they will be able to defend those remote territories in the back.

I must say, since I'm making an AAR on France, seeing France being demolished by the people I fought so hard to eradicate only gives me a heavy heart....

Keep up the good work my friend. Truly, your AAR is growing to be a fine one indeed.
    Last edited by Karnage; October 07, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Quote Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
    Interesting predictions. + rep

Siciliy has an interesting power base in southern Italy and central northern Africa. I'm hoping they will clash with Aragon. I've gone out of my way to build alliances in the anti-Aragonese/Leonese bloc. That's why I allied with England and Genoa a long time ago, which has now worked out well, as both have become fairly strong.

I just realized that the Seljuks (green) are almost gone as well. I assume K-Shah will finish them (fatality!) pretty soon. Also, is that white faction Poland or Lithuania (or someone else)? I didn't get a chance to look closely.

Thats Poland alright, the Lithuanians are the one who probably took them out, since they hold most of Poland, so they will either become vassal (highly unlikely) or be crushed

Also i wouldn't give or say the ERE will stagnate, the mongols will make swift workd of k-shah soon enough, the fatimids will probably go for them as well (sooner or while the mongols are on it), making the ERE wanting a piece of the cake as well...

Still in the end, if k-shah is left to 2-3 territory or gone, the ERE or the fatimids will deal with the mongols

Most likely the one to deal with the mongols, out of the fatmids and ere, will also fight each other, or have a VERY SMALL chance of joining in against the mongols, but thats very rare

Quote Originally Posted by TheBard View Post

The most shocking development to me is that Aragon has really established a huge presence in northern Africa. I looked to see where the Moors’ other territory is, but that one large one looks like it. Maybe they are in the midst of losing one, or the rankings in 1201 don’t yet show that they have 1 and not 2. Either way, they are on the way out.
    I would guess if the rankings are correct, the Moors have Palma as their second region. The mini map has a difficult time showing several of the smaller islands, so it's difficult to know who owns them unless you can see them on the regular map.

I've looked with my ships even before turning of FoW, and Palma (assuming that's the island to the east of Spain?) is owned by Aragon. It's possible that the rankings just haven't quite updated yet, as it usually takes a few turns for it to show changes in territories. Otherwise, it is some other random island somewhere.

Very impressive update!

And the map is really interesting. I've seen certain elements separately before (like the rise of Lithuania and the K-Shah, even Venice), but not at the same time on the same map. What I see in most cases though is the quick fall of the Seljuks.

Hey guys, I've been both sick and very busy with work, so I haven't been able to play in a couple days. I should be able to give an update this weekend, if not earlier. I'm looking forward to playing more, as the new units have just become available (urban spear militia, dismounted feudal knights I think).

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Really like this AAR,there are few about Portugal which is my country . Keep up with the good work
    "The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. " - Antonio Gramsci

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxembourg

Nice ARR, very engaging.
    Tis but a scratch.

I'm working on the next update right now, so look for it in the next couple hours. It's been 10 days since the last one, so I want to say thanks to anyone still reading!

Chapter 13: The End is Nigh?

After King Alexandre’s death, his son Guilherme becomes King. Following in the footsteps of his great-grandfather, King Henrique; his grandfather, King Afonso; and his father, King Alexandre; King Guilherme becomes the fourth direct male descendant to rule the Kingdom of Portugal. As the new century dawns, however, the new king is 44 years old and unmarried. His brother Bartolomeu is currently next in line for the throne, and with his 31-year-old wife, Isabel, Bartolomeu has a chance of beginning a new line of de Portugal kings.

Guilherme has had no trouble finding women, but he has spent almost his entire adult life at war, never settling in any place long enough to find and marry a suitable noblewoman. While being King would certainly increase his romantic opportunities, he would likely spend many more years leading troops into battle in the wars against León, the Moors, and potentially Aragon again. His chances of marrying, let alone having a male heir, look increasingly slim.

Smiths across Europe have begun to find new, more efficient ways of making iron mail armor, increasing its availability. Though its use is still mostly confined to the nobility, the decreased cost to make both the rings and the overall armor has allowed for larger, more effective suits of mail. At the same time, rulers are moving toward more professional armies, allowing for true militia units rather than temporary levies. Throughout Portugal, urban spear militia and urban sword militia begin to replace the traditional spear militia units, particularly in cities. In castles, feudal knights, both mounted and dismounted, are hired from the local nobility. They replace mailed knights, having much better mail armor and more fighting skill, having trained for years with higher quality lances.

In 1201, the Kingdom of Aragon offers trading rights. Though wary of Portugal’s erstwhile enemy (and the close ally of the enemy León), King Guilherme accepts. Portugal’s treasury was initially buoyed by the capture of Murcia, but has been severely weakened by the wars against León, the Moors, and Aragon; the King recognizes the opportunity to take advantage of Portugal’s many resources and ports.

With money flowing into the royal coffers again, the King orders a full-scale building effort across the Kingdom. Cities and castles expand once again, after years of stagnation. In addition, the old spear militia begin to be phased out, replaced by newer urban militia.

In 1202, the 40-year-old Gil Bandeira finally marries. His new wife, Eva Costa, is only 14. Though the age difference makes for an awkward first meeting, she eventually comes to appreciate her husband, who treats her well and has little interest in going off to fight.

Despite orders from the Pope to end hostilities, Leonese troops continue to march across Portuguese lands, even daring to threaten Seville. King Guilherme and the main Portuguese army attack a small Leonese army outside the capital city, utterly routing them. The King’s decision to stand firm with England is repaid when a few English units join in the battle. Though of little practical use, the English reinforcements provide a gesture that further cements the alliance between the two rising kingdoms.

In 1205, Guilherme marries the young Catarina, giving hope that the King may yet have an heir. In honor of the celebrations, a Moorish diplomat arrives, offering a ceasefire. This is, again, a mostly symbolic gesture, as there is little cause for fighting between Portugal and the Moors, who are now relegated to one last province in Africa, separated from Portugal by Aragonese colonies. Still, the magnanimous King has no lingering enmity for the Moors, despite several fierce battles against them. He was born in 1157, the very year that the Moors were finally expunged from all of Iberia. In his lifetime, the Moors have been mainly a nuisance, with only a few real attempts to retake Portuguese lands. For Guilherme’s entire life, León has always been the greater threat and the more vicious enemy. He accepts the diplomat’s offer of peace. Thus ends the Second Moorish War.

With the death of the Portuguese Pope, and the expiration of his commands of peace between the two Christian nations, León becomes increasingly aggressive, sending more armies into Portuguese lands.

Shortly after his marriage, the King takes his army eastward and comes upon a slightly smaller Leonese army. Not at all tempered by marriage, the King eagerly attacks.

The Portuguese are forced to climb a hill to reach their enemy. Guilherme sends his men steadily forward, as his trebuchets send dead cows and flaming balls of pitch into the enemy ranks.

Portuguese mailed foot knights, not yet replaced by feudal knights, meet enemy cavalry headlong on the sloped ground. The knights, in their older, more loosely linked mail, brace themselves for the enemy charge.

The knights steady themselves and hold, and more than 150 Portuguese cavalry come at the Leonese troops from both sides, surrounding and eventually routing them. The King’s army is only slightly weakened, with only about 100 casualties.

In the winter, word comes from English diplomats of an historic event: the Kingdom of France has been completely destroyed! Squeezed by England from the north, the Holy Roman Empire from the east, Genoa from the southeast, and Aragon from the south, France could not hold the territory created by the Treaty of Verdun in 843 and first ruled by Charlemagne’s grandson Charles the Bald. After more than 350 years, France is gone.

Buoyed by their victories over the French, the Kingdom of England soon declares war on the Kingdom of Genoa, forcing Guilherme to choose between his two allies. Though Genoa is closer, controlling the lands directly north of the Pyrenees, England has been Portugal’s ally for more than 30 years. Despite English kings’ penchant for being excommunicated, Guilherme greatly values the alliance. He again chooses to remain allied to England, angering the Genoese king.

In 1207, Diogo de Castelo, the greatest living Portuguese general, besieges the Leonese castle of Burgos. Pressured further south by the Portuguese king, the Leonese are unable to adequately defend the castle. Only a few hundred troops and a few hundred reinforcements stand in Diogo’s way.

Diogo orders his trebuchets to fire at the enemy castle’s walls, hoping to knock a hole in them and provide an easier entrance than through the gate.

Meanwhile, Portuguese light men-at-arms begin to approach the enemy’s walls with ladders and siege towers. Uncharacteristically, Diogo carelessly forgets about the enemy reinforcements, and one of the units of men-at-arms is caught unawares by Leonese feudal knights.

Diogo hastily urges his jinettes and knights forward to take on the enemy knights. The rest of the infantry have reached the walls, and the gate is soon bashed in. Portugal’s own feudal knights charge forward, running down fleeing Leonese infantry inside the castle.

After fighting through three rings of walls and gates, the battle comes down to a grinding affair inside the castle’s inner keep. After many hours of fighting, Diogo’s army emerges victorious, occupying the enemy castle.

With the defeat, Leon is down to only two castles: Toledo and Valencia.

In 1208, Diogo’s older brother Miguel de Castelo, seeks to trim the Leonese kingdom to one castle by taking Valencia.

As Miguel urges his men forward to the walls, the enemy garrison continually shoots fire arrows in an attempt to burn the Portuguese siege towers. They succeed at the very last minute, setting one of the towers ablaze just as it reaches the walls.

The light men-at-arms flee the burning wreckage in an attempt to avoid being crushed. Portuguese mailed knights reach the walls with the other siege tower and make it to the top of the walls.

Portuguese soldiers ram through the enemy gate and begin to enter the castle. The Leonese army charges the Portuguese right inside the gates, inflicting heavy casualties. Prince Munio, heir to the Leonese throne, personally leads the charge.

As the bulk of the Portuguese army enters the castle, the Leonese troops are pushed backward. Soon, Prince Munio is killed. Shortly thereafter, Miguel, just like his younger brother, takes control of the enemy castle.

Miguel follows his distant cousin Marcio’s precedent, and only occupies the city without sacking it.

Thanks to the two brothers, the Kingdom of León is now a shell of its former self, down to only Toledo.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/16: Chapter 13)

I know this was a relatively short chapter. I had a huge update planned, but it was way too long to do as one chapter. Therefore, I'll be posting 2 more chapters in the next few days. They are almost totally finished, so I should be able to post them soon.

Good AAR, so far. I like that you're keeping us updated on the different family members and providing pics of the family tree!

(Did you have to use a photo editor to get merge pics in order to get the entire tree in one shot?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Good AAR, so far. I like that you're keeping us updated on the different family members and providing pics of the family tree!

(Did you have to use a photo editor to get merge pics in order to get the entire tree in one shot?)

Thanks! The family tree is definitely the trickiest picture to edit. Every picture gets some editing, whether it is scaling the image down, or just cropping. But family trees are the hardest. Family trees are several (I think 3 in the one above) pictures all merged together. If you look, you can see that the arrow scroll bar on the bottom has several arrowheads; that shows where each one is. Then I usually paste over the "Family Tree" text on each one, moving one to the center so you don't see it written three times. I have to cut and paste the individual portraits and the connecting lines to make extra space for names. Then I manually create text boxes for each name with their birth, death, and reign (if applicable) dates. For the next family tree, I may have to split it in two, with one on top of the other because it is getting extremely small when laid out horizontally.

I also have to merge pictures for family portraits to fit all the traits in. You can see, again, with the arrows on the righthand side.

That's why I only do family trees when a new king takes over. Takes quite a while, probably an hour at least.

Chapter 14: Reversal of Fortune

A few months later, King Guilherme and his army are on their way south to protect against an expected Aragonese invasion at Gibraltar, when they discover an Aragonese army already in Portuguese lands. Outnumbered but undaunted, Guilherme sends his army forth, reigniting the War of Spanish Succession.

With more than 100 veteran cavalry, the King feels confident. Again forced to march uphill to reach the enemy, the Portuguese are soon tired. Their trebuchets fire at the enemy, and the Portuguese cavalry attempt to outflank them.

Portuguese archers rain down arrows, and javelinmen fling their weapons. Despite relying on almost 100 mercenaries, the King wins relatively easily.

Diogo’s and Miguel’s father, Alberto de Castelo, is the elder statesman of Portugal. He is the oldest living general, at 83 years, and rumors swirl that both his mind and body are going soft.

The increasingly senile Alberto remains in Granada, where he has lived for more than 50 years, since initially taking the mountain fortress from the Moors in 1157. The people are thoroughly converted to Christianity, so Alberto’s position as governor is hardly a difficult one. Still, the King is concerned about leaving him in control of a vital castle.

The Pope again demands an end to hostilities with León, which Guilherme is not inclined to grant. Still, he hopes to goad them into aggression, so the Pope will be forced to excommunicate them.

In 1210, it seems as though Guilherme’s plan has worked. León besieges the recently captured castle at Valencia, with their allies Aragon providing reinforcement. With Miguel’s army depleted and trapped inside the newly taken castle, most of the garrison from Murcia heads north to help in the coming battle. Instead, Aragon attacks the reinforcements at night, drawing their ally León into the battle as well.

Taken by surprise in pitch blackness, the Portuguese have no way to get a message to Miguel. They are all on their own. [This was a pretty smart move by the computer. I was impressed.] It would come to be known as The Battle of Three Armies.

Outnumbered more than two to one, the Portuguese army has little hope of winning, and needs only to inflict a large number of casualties so that Miguel can break the siege.

As the Portuguese army moves forward, enemy catapults fire balls of pitch directly into their lines, killing dozens of men, and frightening the others.

Portuguese archers let loose volley after volley of fire arrows into the Aragonese troops, lighting up the night sky.

Eventually, Aragon’s troops charge, and León’s troops come up behind them to provide support. The weakly armored Portuguese soldiers, led by only a captain, soon rout one by one. It is a devastating defeat, made more so by the fact that they only managed to kill 150 enemy troops.

As Valencia remains threatened, King Guilherme is far to the south in Africa, taking the war directly to Aragon’s newest territory. Having yet to hear the news about Valencia, the King attacks a large Aragonese army near Fes.

With mostly archers, Lusitanian javelinmen, and some cavalry, Guilherme is not eager to engage the enemy in hand-to-hand fighting until it is necessary. The battle begins as one of siege engines, as Portuguese trebuchets launch rotting cow carcasses into the enemy lines, and Aragonese catapults fire balls of pitch. A fortunate shot by one of the enemy catapults lands directly on one of the Portuguese trebuchets, immediately setting it ablaze.

Still, Guilherme orders his archers to empty their quivers before he sends his infantry downhill against the Aragonese.

Fire arrows rain down on the already anxious enemy troops, just as the javelinmen charge. Disgusted by the cow carcasses, and demoralized by the hundreds of arrows, the Aragonese are only too happy to flee for their lives.

After the battle, the King receives word about Miguel’s desperate situation at Valencia. With little interest in remaining in Africa, he immediately departs, heading quickly northward. He boards a fleet southeast of Cordoba, intending to move directly to Valencia.

Marcio the Mean dies in 1212 at León, at the age of 61. He will be remembered as a great general who captured the key Leonese capital of León, saved the then-capital of Oporto in a heroic victory against the Leonese, and pacified the north of Portugal.

In the spring of the next year, the aged Alberto finally passes on. Having lived to the extremely old age of 88, Alberto has seen his sons become paragons of virtue and chivalry, and has seen Diogo marry the beautiful Portugese princess, Angelina.

In the meantime, another 400 troops arrive west of Valencia, having traveled from Seville and Cordoba, through Leonese lands at Toledo. They are almost immediately set upon by an Aragonese army of more than 700, commanded by the excellent general, Lope de Benavides. Once again, the Portuguese army is quickly routed, this time inflicting even fewer casualties. The Aragonese army loses barely 25 men.

With Valencia surrounded, the royal family shrinking, and the King far distant, León looks to have new life. If they retake Valencia, with Aragon providing aid and reinforcements, and the Portuguese royal family falling apart, Guilherme will be forced into a defensive stand, hoping only to keep the lands he’s recently taken. With constant pressure from the Pope, a continued war with León and Aragon will result in certain excommunication.