Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Knights are 1 every 20 turns. Even with the highest level barracks you have to wait 13 turns. Not sure how much more can I sensibly tone them down to not make smaller factions too handicapped. The reality is that the likes of Serbia and Hungary start with like 15 regions so it's a lot easier. But even so, I really don't see how could they be sending full stacks of elite units all the time

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

@saneel. there is still a lot of balancing to be done. Thank you for the feedback. Which difficulty are you playing on? Are you experiencing this only against Hungary or other factions? What turn are you at?

I had the issue where i wiped out all the starting armies of a faction and after that their armies only had militias and peasants. So i want to make sure that you are not just facing their starting armies,

@AnthoniusII. Thank you for the advice, yes we have a long way to go and try and balance things. We do have separate recruitment for feudal units (feudal knights, sergeants, squires) in a separate feudal estates building chain.

They dont stack armies more than in other mods.
    I think he is a weaker player.
    U need to be defensive and then when u survive their invasion u go ofensive.
    How are u in the vanila game? noob?
    What caction do u play?

I played bosnia on hard and was at war with everyone except hungary cuz i alied them.I besiged ragusa with an army and defended with anothr one against serbian stacks while another army i used in the west against austria.Austria wasnt agresive so i took 2 settlements and gave them back for a casefire. Ragusa fall and i had 2 armies to use against serbia and ll the time i had a diplomat who lobied good relations with hungary.

Serbia fell apart and bulgaria atacked me so somehow i got peace with serbia(few settlements remained) and aliance with despot of serbia.Now i defended against bulgarian stacks and then counterattacked so im now at peace with them i alsov had few crusades.

Try playing ottomans or hungary.Or if u play smaller factions use aliances and make buffer zones(gift settlements to factions u are allied with).
    Last edited by PavleSubich; December 30, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

saneel's Avatar Senator

I am playing on VH/VH, and after Hungary declared war on me, I took their 2 settlements from them, after that Serbia and Ragusa declared on me. None of the factions I am at war are at war with anyone else, so they all focused on me. One serbian army had 15 knights and 5 swordsman stack. I am at around turn 50. Are there any scrips that codes factions in what direction should they try to expand or at least try to maintain their borders?

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Yes at VH VH all AI factions will be after you. Its almost impossible to make peace. Its for those with sado-maso tendencies. I would suggest VH for battles and Hard for campaign. Its significantly easier but atleast your allies wont backstabb you.

Why are we suggesting VH battles? I usually play on H/H despite being a TW veteran to avoid the crazy bonuses, and i still feel the enemy very rarely breaks. It makes for more interesting battles, but far less realistic. On VH i would assume they really hold on to the last man

dikaios's Avatar Foederatus

I would like to express my gratitude for this amazing mod! I have been stalking this mod thread since 2012 and still I can not believe that M2TW:Tsardoms has finally released!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    The Kantakouzenos faction is very existent. It's just not playable as it is set as a shadow faction.

You could modify the files and play it, but you would need to switch some things around and make kantakouzenos the main faction and the palaiologians as the shadow faction.
    I would like to ask how to make Kantakouzenos playable and the Palaiologans the shadow faction.
    As Kantakouzenos which cities I have to capture to became the legitimate emperor?

They say you learn something new every day. I didn't realize that it was actually the Turks of Aydin who stomped on the Serbs when they intervened on the side of the Palaiologoi. I always just assumed Kantakouzenos basically used the services of the Ottomans. Did he somehow think that the Turks would be docile servants?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by dikaios View Post
    I would like to express my gratitude for this amazing mod! I have been stalking this mod thread since 2012 and still I can not believe that M2TW:Tsardoms has finally released!

I would like to ask how to make Kantakouzenos playable and the Palaiologans the shadow faction.
    As Kantakouzenos which cities I have to capture to became the legitimate emperor?
    data/worlds/map/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat
    at the start of the file you have a list of playable and then unplayable factions. Put kantakouzenos among the playable factions.

and then open data/descr_sm_factions, and you'll find "byzantium, shadowed_by kantakouzenos" and "kantakouzenos, shadowing byzantium". These two should then be changed to the other way around. This should do it if I'm not mistaken.

To become emperor as kantakouzenos, regency will have to practically be destroyed (less than 3 settlements), and of course you need Constantinople

dikaios's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you jurcek for your help! +rep

Imo it's impossible to really nerf Hungary. Some people experience them as very hard while in my playthrough the wallachians took 90% of their territory. They should be a force to be reckoned with and hard to beat on your own.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    at the start of the file you have a list of playable and then unplayable factions. Put kantakouzenos among the playable factions.

and then open data/descr_sm_factions, and you'll find "byzantium, shadowed_by kantakouzenos" and "kantakouzenos, shadowing byzantium". These two should then be changed to the other way around. This should do it if I'm not mistaken.

To become emperor as kantakouzenos, regency will have to practically be destroyed (less than 3 settlements), and of course you need Constantinople

Hey jurcek, could you double check this? I tried and it didn't work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post

and then open data/descr_sm_factions, and you'll find "byzantium, shadowed_by kantakouzenos" and "kantakouzenos, shadowing byzantium". These two should then be changed to the other way around. This should do it if I'm not mistaken
    I could be wrong, but believe only that might not be enough. Some more editing could be necessary to make it properly playable.

For any fans wishing to play as Kantakouzenos:

No promises, but if I figure out a way to do it in a satisfactory way, Kantakouzenos MIGHT also be made playable.
    If that eventually happens, it will be released as such.
    However, until then I cannot provide assistance if problems arise from fan-modding the campaign to a way different than designed and released.
    Last edited by kanteljic; January 03, 2021 at 02:45 AM.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

Btw how can I get that custom church model?

I made Kantakouzenos playable by moving in into the playable factions. It worked for me

Yes its easy to make them playable but they are a shadow faction, not meant to be playable. You could face ctds or other issues. But please do report on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBearer View Post
    I made Kantakouzenos playable by moving in into the playable factions. It worked for me
    To make it possible to play as Kantakouzenos? Yes. To make it truly playable? No. If that is all you modified, when the Regency dies (which you’d think would make you win the civil war), you will get an instant game over.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

I've noticed that late 14th century German/Serbian/Bulgarian knights/boeri don't wear any Jupon but instead they all wear waffenrocks.

This is pretty interesting since i'm seeing western/Italian knights wear jupons and Juppe de Wambesons.

I know there is a limit in models for units, I know.

But to make it clear, Germans and probably other Balkanic knights also used Jupons and Juppe de Wambesons along with pourpoints.

Btw, i'm still wondering where the Waffenrock originated or in what space of time was worn as a surcoat.

Also, i'm referring to the surcoat found in Kingdom Come Deliverance, not the 16th century German Waffenrock that looks like a German version of the 16th century base coat or as is called in Spanish : "sayo".

PD : I also noticed that there is a Scots guard unit since it's in the troop roster for the Swiss in the unplayable Battle of Pavia.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; January 03, 2021 at 04:38 PM.

I am not familiar with terminology. Do you have any pictures of these objects?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Congratulations again, I am having a great campaign (Vh/VH) as Rhomania. The civil war is a question I wanted to raise. Ioannes Kantakouzenos and Ioannes Palaiologos are not going to come to a power-sharing accord, so I imagine it's traditional to kill all the enemies?
    Osmans are proving a tough nut too. (edit) The Ottomans do seem a touch disinclined to invade Europe.
    I'm on turn 65 so far excellent
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; January 04, 2021 at 07:10 AM.