Page 16 of 178 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166116 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [INFO] The next Tsardoms preview...

no

I have registered to join the Tsardoms fan group and to show some support. Mod looks fabulous! Will have a tough time waiting for a final version to come out. TTW Team, keep great work!

VIP & Co

[edit]
    D'oh, edited for spelling...
    [/edit]
    Last edited by VIP; October 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by VIP View Post
    I have registered to join the Tsardoms fun group and to show some support. Mod looks fabulous! Will have a tough time waiting for a final version to come out. TTW Team, keep great work!

VIP & Co
    Thank you
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Did you hear the weather forecast- it will be raining reps this weekend !

Quote Originally Posted by 2Shy View Post
    Did you hear the weather forecast- it will be raining reps this weekend !
    ahahahaha +rep to you

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by dabela View Post
    ahahahaha +rep to you
    Thank you mate. I'm really happy you like it .

TTW GRANDMASTER

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

will Hungary and/or Serbia have winged hussars?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    by the way hussars were invented by the Romanian prince of Transylvania and governor of Hungary - Iancu Corvin de Hunedoara and improved by his son, the king of Hungary - Matei Corvin de Hunedoara (Matei was half Hungarian by the way and some say Iancu was in part too)
    Last edited by Visarion; October 28, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    i had this question since i played "Age of Empires II: Age of Conquerors"...why the hussars had wings in their backs???
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Artifex

Actualy I am not quite sure if Serbian and Hungarian Hussars had wings... Polish Hussars had! To answer your question, for intimidation and because they were very light and fast!

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

just like visarion said, although, polish hussars were formed by serbians. they were called racowie, which means "from the rascia", rascia was serbian region, state in the beginning.

wings come from serbia, although, in the beginning they did not have it till early 16th century.

http://www.polishforums.com/history-...hussars-39724/
    Last edited by phoenix[illusion]; October 28, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
    long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post

by the way hussars were invented by the Romanian prince of Transylvania and governor of Hungary - Iancu Corvin de Hunedoara and improved by his son, the king of Hungary - Matei Corvin de Hunedoara (Matei was half Hungarian by the way and some say Iancu was in part too)

Hungary didn't have winged hussars, also the usage was not the same as in Poland. Polish hussars are more heavy cavalry with long lances, hungarian is more for raiding and with lighter armor.

Also, János Hunyadi was not the prince of Transylvania, but a vajda named by I. Ulászló. (there is a difference of authority between a prince and a voivode)
    AFAIK both of János's parents were romanian, but his wife (Erzsébet Szilágyi), the mother of Mátyás was hungarian.

edit:
    also while Hungary had enough light cav, this specific usage came from serbia.
    Last edited by shikaka; October 29, 2010 at 04:06 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

And in Serbia it came from Byzantium (or Bulgaria), considering hussars are mentioned at least as early as the campaigns of Tsar Samuil (and probably earlier by the Byzantines themselves, though in Latin times they were probably mostly called precursors (i.e. scouts)).

well, same for winged hussars. they were formed of later serbian hussars, which had wings, but the serbian hussars were influenced by ottoman deli's

so something like this
    byzantium scouts > bulgarian light cav > serbian early gusar > hungarian hussar
    ottoman delis > serbian late gusar > polish winged hussar

just to add:, serbian early gusars and late gusars are different, although period between them are maybe 20-30 years

Artifex

so wings and feathers did came from Serbia nice!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I read that the Holy Roman Empire and later Austria recruited Serbian Hussars as mercenaries too!

well, as i said that it was influenced by deli ottoman troops, i can add one thing. delis were actually christian traitors, who joined ottomans. many of them were serbs, and deli unit is connected to the balkan. they were akinji unit, but much more violent and experienced. usually delis would had leopard skin, and other animal parts, bears, wings etc. connection between delis and balkan people is strong, even today we say delija (read deliya) for a young strong guy. serbian late gusars had winges, instead of leopard skins

``i was curious about that warrior, full in armour and feathers [for whom Nicolas de Nicolay thought that was Turkish deli-horseman] and, i asked about his faith... he said that he is Serbian and that he joined to the Turkish caravan only because he also travel to Istambul (Constantinople). He said that he only pretend to be nice to Turks but that he is Christian by his will and his soul and he said few prayers as a proof to confirm his identity- Simbol of faith, Mother of God and Our Father. Prayers were said in Greak and on his native Serbian langauge.``
    Last edited by phoenix[illusion]; October 29, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix[illusion] View Post
    well, as i said that it was influenced by deli ottoman troops, i can add one thing. delis were actually christian traitors, who joined ottomans. many of them were serbs, and deli unit is connected to the balkan. they were akinji unit, but much more violent and experienced. usually delis would had leopard skin, and other animal parts, bears, wings etc. connection between delis and balkan people is strong, even today we say delija (read deliya) for a young strong guy. serbian late gusars had winges, instead of leopard skins

'dalia' is known in hungarian too.

The strange thing is that while this kind of warfare was a reaction to turkish/steppe warfare, serbian/hungarian hussars didn't take the bows/arrows from the turkish arsenal.

There is no mention of hussar archery anywhere in relation with hungarians. They used lances and sabres, and when carbines/pistols became available for AP purposes they dropped the lance, and changed to pistol/sabre.

here's some info on hussars
    anyways, it a bit overrated, showing how were serbian hussars the best, strongest etc. a bit silly thing
    also, it is included in russian army, formed serbian hussars battalion. watch this video

Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    'dalia' is known in hungarian too.

The strange thing is that while this kind of warfare was a reaction to turkish/steppe warfare, serbian/hungarian hussars didn't take the bows/arrows from the turkish arsenal.

There is no mention of hussar archery anywhere in relation with hungarians. They used lances and sabres, and when carbines/pistols became available for AP purposes they dropped the lance, and changed to pistol/sabre.
    as i've said, their origin was on balkans (even if they were in ottoman army), where steppe warfare was not popular (cause of terrain). so, they were lanced unit with sabres

Artifex

guess Deli weared animal parts for intimidation and because they compared themselves with those animals!? or maybe they thought wearing wings, feathers, bear or leopard skins will give them the power of the animal: strenght, agility, speed, fierceness etc. !?