Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Title of ban was used in Croatia. First recorded in 950. and used up until 1918.
    Hungarians adopted the title, and used it to denote border marches under governors with additonal authority and judical and military control. Such marches were often called banates under ban, it was to an extent a copy of system in place in Croatia. Origin of title is unknown but there are 2 major theories.

According to 1st- its Avaric origin, from a personal name of Avar khagan called Bayan. Problem is its a personal name and was never a title.

2nd is Ban, it was a germanic/frankish name for banner, term which meant that feudal army of certain area would assemble under bannermen and a banner.
    So perhaps a ban was originaly someone assembling the army in certain region.
    Croats were a border march for Franks in early 9th century, so the term could have been created then.
    Last edited by Hrobatos; June 19, 2020 at 04:38 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Ban title was in Bosnia, correct, not Serbia. I was thinking solely of Bosnia but the Kotromanic house also owned parts of Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia, so yeah.

The title of Ban however was also present in Moldavia, Wallachia and Bulgaria as well.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    The title of Ban however was also present in Moldavia, Wallachia and Bulgaria as well.
    Was it really "ban"? Not "voivode"? I actually don't know which language was used at that time in the Hungarian Crown. I've always thought it was latin.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Was it really "ban"? Not "voivode"? I actually don't know which language was used at that time in the Hungarian Crown. I've always thought it was latin.
    In Wallachia and Moldova the Voivode was the ruler of the state or prince. The Great ban was a lesser title held by powerful nobles in the western part of Wallachia inherited from the Hungarian created Banate of Severin. There was a Great Ban of Craiova title. In Bulgaria, Wallachia and Moldova the ban was also the title of certain provincial governers.

So what title was in use? Maybe it's similar to Moldavia and Wallachia in the sense that the title "hospodar" hasn't been used there until the Ottoman times, but the title "voivode" was?
    Here is a short overview. In the period of the start of the mod, Serbia became an Empire. The Emperor used the title of Tsar, his heir was styled King (Kralj). Military commanders were called Vojvoda and Veliki Vojvoda (Duke and Grand Duke). In addition to native titles, Tsar Dušan used many Eastern Roman courtly and administrative titles including, but not limited to - Caesar, Despot, Sebastocrator, Kephale, Logothete etc.

P.S. The title of Vojvoda was used in Bosnia as well. For example, Vlatko Vuković was Vojvoda under King Tvrtko I Kotromanić.
    Last edited by Rad; June 19, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

To expand on what Wallachian said, apart from the title Ban of Craiova which was a very important position in the state, the term of "ban" remained on the printing of money (1 Ban is the lowest value of money you can get in Romania right now) and it is theorised that the region of Banat also came from the same name.

Banat is currently a region of both Romania and Serbia, with Serbian minority in Romania and Romanian minority in Serbia.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

I presume the AARs are from the testing?
    I can't wait for the public beta...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Correct.

So what title was in use? Maybe it's similar to Moldavia and Wallachia in the sense that the title "hospodar" hasn't been used there until the Ottoman times, but the title "voivode" was?
    Tsar in late period and nothing in early periods cuz serbia formed in like 1200.Til then there vas only Rascia or similar stuff.
    Last edited by PavleSubich; June 19, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

Its actualy a rank like a general or captn of a town.It is not inheritable.The Ban vas named by the king and vas something like the kings right hand in a certain area.This is de jure,de facto bans tended to asure the title for their sucesor.Both croatian bans and bosnian bans tried that.Subics evem made a forgery where the king autorizes that title to be inherited XD.

WALL
    about that khan=ban thing.
    There is no such linguistical change that transphorms KH into B!
    There are terms like herban and similar in frankish.
    It is well known that te frankish state vas an early "incubator" for the croatian kingdom.
    Theearly state customs in the croatian kingdom sea to be frakish. I think ban in herban could mean something like band .
    Germanic band or band of brothers a sort of druzina(kompanionship/komaradship)
    Last edited by PavleSubich; June 19, 2020 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PavleSubich View Post
    Tsar in late period and nothing in early periods cuz Serbia formed in like 1200.Til then there vas only Rascia or similar stuff.
    Serbia existed long before 1200. You may be referring to the ascension of the Nemanjić dynasty to Kingship. That happened in 1217.
    Rascia (Raška) is a region. It gets its name from the city of Ras, one of the early capitals of the Serbian state. Because of Ras' significance, the terms "Rascia" and "Rascian" were used as exonyms for Serbia and Serbs. For example, medieval documents written in Latin use the term "Rex Rascie" for the King of Serbia. Serbian mercenaries (we're talking 15th and 16th century) were called Rác/Racowie by their Hungarian/Polish employers.

kingdom of rascia existed and the inhabitants were serbs
    there vas no mention of serbia i think

Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus mentions Serbia in De Administrando Imperio. That's the middle of the 10th century. That being said, it is correct to say that not all medieval Serbian states and statelets were called Serbia or had the epithet "Serbian" in their name.
    Last edited by Rad; June 19, 2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PavleSubich View Post

WALL
    about that khan=ban thing.
    There is no such linguistical change that transphorms KH into B!
    I have never heard of ban being linked to khan. Not sure where that comes from.

yes my mistake
    horbatos wrote about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Banship_of_Craiova

For some basic info about the Great Banship - or as we call it, Marea Banie de Craiova.

Hi guys!
    I wonder, there will be a model in battle of Vlad the Impaler, Stephan the Great and John Hunyadi?

Quote Originally Posted by NoobsImpaler View Post
    Hi guys!
    I wonder, there will be a model in battle of Vlad the Impaler, Stephan the Great and John Hunyadi?
    I don't think so, there is a limit on the units so every unit model needs to be carefully chosen. It would be fun to have a battle map with all those guys impaled xD

Quote Originally Posted by NoobsImpaler View Post
    Hi guys!
    No there will not be models like that. We don't have any unique battle map models for specific characters and i don't know of any mods that do other than maybe the really big mods like Third Age Total War.

But the generic Wallachian heir character is based on Vlad the Impaler

Also, the mod starts in 1345 so we are 100 years away from the above characters. That means 200 turns and most players don't even play that long, they usually get bored after about 100 or so turns.

Omg, it looks epic. Thank u for the reply. I look forward to play the game.