Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

@jurcek1987 are those waving lance banners?

How did you do such an animation? I am very interesting in to it.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Amazing work! Vlad and Ștefan would be happy about this.
    Thank you for your kind words.

One thing to keep in mind is that the heraldry is 100% researched and based on the historical information that we currently have available (coins found from certain reigns, historical documents, archaeology, descriptions, historical reconstructions) and it is suitable for each era that the upgrade relates to. Similarly, the equipment is best on archaeological finds, church paintings, historical documents, historical reconstructions as well as things like the trade routes (imports from Italy, Ragusa and from Saxon workshops in Transilvania and beyond), similar equipment of neighbouring states (Serbia, Bulgaria and especially Hungary and even a bit from the Ottomans). But we have also taken some liberties and gameplay considerations (there probably were nowhere near as many Wallachian or Moldavian fully armoured knights as there were in Western Europe).

Wallachia

Upgrade 0 (1345 - late/1360s or early 1370s) Transitional armour - to coincide with the foundation of the Wallachian state and the early Basarab dinasty

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From left to right heraldry:

Red and white stripes, blue half: Ancient coat of arms of Basarab dinasty from late 13th century to early 14th century (sharing colours of their Angevin overlords)
    Red and yellow stripes: Coat of arms of Litovoi, Voivode in the area of Wallachia in the 13th century
    Yellow eagle on blue: Coat of arms of the Wallachian state
    Green and golden stripes one half, full golden other half: Coat of arms of Basarab dinasty (post independence)

Upgrade 1 (1370s - 14th century) Churburg armour - to coincide with the period of the greatest extent and strength of the Wallachian state and the Basarab dinasty (Vladislav Vlaicu, Radu I and Mircea the Elder) as well as the start of the struggle against the Ottomans

Rampant lion on white: Mircea the Elder as Ban of Severin, Voivode from 1386-1418
    Red and yellow half: Variant of the Basarab coat of arms
    Green and golden stripes with fleur de lis: Radu I, Voivode from 1377-1383
    Green and golden stripes with half-moon: Vladislav Vlaicu, Voivode from 1364-1377

Upgrade 2 (from about 1420s onwards) Milanese armour - to coincide with the period of the fight between the Draculesti and Danesti branches of the Basarab dinasty as well as the era of Vlad the Impaler, becoming an Ottoman vassal state and the constant wars, rebellions and switching of alliances pro and against the Ottomans

Red and yellow stripes in one half and star and moon on blue background in the other half: Vlad the Impaler coat of arms (colour variant), Voivode 1448, 1456-1462, 1476
    Two green stripes and two golden stripes: Basarab II (house of Danesti), Voivode 1442-1443, Basarab III The Little Impaler (house of Danesti), Voivode 1477-1481, 1481-1482
    Green and golden stripes in one half and star and moon on golden background in the other half: House of Draculesti (started with Vlad Dracul, Voivode 1436-1442, 1443-1447)
    Red dragon on black background: Order of the Dragon coat of arms (Vlad Dracul and his son Vlad the Impaler were members and used this heraldry)

Moldova

Upgrade 0 (1345 - late/1360s or early 1370s) Transitional armour - to coincide with the foundation of the Moldavian state, the dynasty of Dragos and the early dynasty of Bogdan/Musat

Black bull on white background: Moldova coat of arms (variant)
    Green and golden stripes one half, golden fleur de lis on blue background the other half: House of Musat (heraldry appears with Petru I 1367-1368)
    Crescent, moon, star and arrow on blue background: House of Dragos (1347-1354)
    Golden flower on green background: House of Bogdan (1363-1367)

Upgrade 1 (1370s - early 15th century) Churburg armour - to coincide with the period of the growth and consolidation of the Moldavian state, the period of internal civil strife for the throne and the first contact with the Ottomans

Mace and sword on blue background: Bogdan II (1449-1451)
    Golden auroch on red background: Moldova coat of arms
    Green and golden stripes one half, sword on blue background the other half: Petru III (1444-1445, 1447-1448, 1448-1449)
    Green and golden stripes one half, golden auroch on red background the other half: Roman II (1447-1448)

Upgrade 2 (from about 1420s onwards) Milanese armour - to coincide with the period of Moldova's greatest extent and the long reign of Stefan the Great (1457 - 1504) with his wars against the Ottomans, Poles, Hungarians and Tatars

Yellow cross on blue background: Stefan IV the Young (1517 - 1527)
    Combination of 4 elements (cross, stripes, fleur de lis, flowers) with auroch in the middle: Alexandru Lapusneanu (1552-1561)
    Combination of 4 elements (cross, stripes, fleur de lis, flowers) with half sun in the middle: Stefan the Great (1457-1504)
    Golden auroch on red background: Moldova coat of arms
    Last edited by Wallachian; May 02, 2019 at 03:57 AM.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Wow thats amazing. It will be so hard to decide what faction to play first. On the one hand I really got sucked in into Ottoman history, such an interessting and misunderstood empire. Then there are my Boys the Byzantines I just love the history of the late empire. I think your Dynatoi are some of my favourite units in an RTS ever. Then there is my love Venice the roster that was previewed really got me into reading more Italian history. Wallachia and Moldavia are also so freaking interessting and I'm not even talking about the Serbians who also have such rich history I also can't wait what you guys have in store for Florence and Milan, the rosters will probably be very similar to the other italian factions but the heraldry alone has so much detail in it

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Even without this historical accuracy your models would've been magnificent... So I'm sorry, I cannot express how amazed I am by this combination of realism and aesthetics!

the units getting better and better,great work!

Well you can thank jurcek. While he is waiting for the updated mod folder he had some time to revamp a few units here and there. So now the serbian nobles and bodyguard look quite different to the bulgarians which look different to wallachia and moldova.

We have a callout to all fans of this project that are interesting in helping out with finishing the mod. We are looking for historical information about characters that were alive in 1345 in several areas of the map (other than the ones from the royal families).

For starters, we are looking for Bulgarian characters to populate the following settlements:

Bdin
    Sredets
    Tsepina
    Plovdiv
    Kran
    Lovets
    Nikopol
    Tarnovo
    Drastar

in wich time the mod is starting?1400?

Starts in 1345, ends in 1530
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

btw what will be the difference between the Ottomans and the Aydinid rosters?

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

Wallachian, i tried to find the names of the governors of the cities you listed. I looked in the ''History of Bulgaria'' Volume III (which is about the second Bulgarian Tsardom) but couldn't find the names. Does that information even exist? I don't know - i'm not a historian, i just like history. Maybe the information exists somewhere - maybe not. So i made a list of the names of governors of cities and provinces, but they are not from that specific year. Here goes : Dobromir Hriz , despot Slav , protosebast Pribo , Kaloyan , sebastocrator Dragota , bolyar Eltimir , bolyar Smilets , bolyar Radoslav , bolyar Voisil , Dobromir , Filip , Raksin , Prodanko , Priyazd , Tsamblak , Strez , Momchil , Hrelyo , Balik , Todor , Dobrotitsa , Vulkashin , Uglesha , Marko .

Thank you for your contribution. Indeed, the names of governors probably dont exist, have been lost to time.

But what about the names of nobles in 1350, 1360, 1370, 1380? Etc are there are no bulgarian generals, nobles etc named in the records in the next 20-30 years? Not necessary governors

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

No need to thank me , i do it gladly. This mod and TGC are the only mods with playable Bulgaria and... do i need to say more? Anyway, the information about bulgarian generals and nobles, especially after 1330 is very scarce if at all existing. It was a time of great turmoil. Still while i looked for information i found a book that is much more recent and may have the info needed. It's called ''Who is who in medieval Bulgaria'', but i need to order it and it will arrive probably around the middle of next week. I did a somewhat more detailed list for the names i already found, with some background information about them.
    Dobromir Hriz - governor of Strumitsa and Prosek during the time of tsar Kaloyan. At the same time or a little bit later despot Slav was the ruler of Melnik. Protosebast Pribo was appointed by Ivan Asen II 1230 governor of Skopie. Ivan Asen II's brother Alexander ruled over Sredets and the Boyana fortress. The Sredets region became a hereditary domain of sebastocrator Kaloyan ( Alexander's son ). As a ruler of cities and fortresses he commanded a substantial military force and managed to hold to his power long after the death of Ivan Asen II. Dragota was governor of Syar, which he turned over to the Emperor of Nicaea John III Vatatzes for a considerable amount of gold, and then traveled to Melnik to negotiate the handover of that town to the byzantines.That same Dragota as a voevode of Melnik in 1254 betrayed the byzantines because he was not paid as much gold as he wanted.
    The bolyar Eltimir was governor of Kran in the end of the XIII century.
    To the west of Kran the lands belonged to the bolyars Smilets, Radoslav and Voisil all the way to Sliven.
    Dobromir was a great logothete, and the logothete Filip took part in the plot against Ivan Stefan in 1331, along with the protovestiarios Raksin.
    The comestabulus Sergius accompanied the Archbishop of Turnovo Vasilius to Drach for the negotiations between Kaloyan and Pope Innocent III.
    The protokeliothos was the adjutant to the Tsar in charge ot the security of the ruler. Prodanko and Priyazd were protokeliothos.
    The two highest titles were sebastokrator and despot. Sebastokrators were : Strez, nephew of Kaloyan, which after 1207 became an independent ruler of part of Macedonia. Peter - the uncle of Michael Asen also held the title sebastocrator and was governor of the northwestern bulgarian lands. The title Despot was held by: Jacob Svetoslav, Alexius Slav - ruler of the Rhodope region, Eltimir the uncle of Todor Svetoslav and ruler of Kran, Mihail - lord of Vidin and the surrounding lands, Ivan Alexander - ruler of Lovech region (before he became tsar).
    Mitso was rebelious bolyar from southern Bulgaria.
    The bolyars Durman and Kudelin created a small independent principality in the Branichevo region in 1273.
    The bolyar Belaur led a rebellion against tsar Ivan Alexander , summer 1332.
    Momchil was a bulgarian commoner that started as the leader of a band of brigands and rebels. He became a famous warrior and the voevode of the Rhodopes region. But he was independent and not even formally allied to the tsar in Turnovo. He died in battle in 1345.
    The bolyar Balik was ruler of Dobrudja Despotate in the middle XIV century. His capital was in the city of Karvuna. His brothers were Todor and Dobrotitsa. After the death of Balik Dobrotitsa took power. There is little information but it is known that by 1366 he was ruler of the northeast bulgarian lands and lived in Kaliakra.
    After the death of the serbian king Stefan Dushan , Vulkashin ruled the lands around Prilep , Skopie and Prizren and called himself king. His brother Ivan Uglesha ruled the lands around Syar and Drama. A sizeable independent domain formed in Velbazhd region, ruled by Ivan and Konstantin , sons of despot Deyan. These domain included the cities of Zletovo, Kumanovo, Kratovo, Shtip and Velbazhd as capital. As independent feudal rulers (after 1355) rose also : Hlapen (in Ber, Kostur and Voden),Andrei Gropa (in Ohrid) and Bogdan in Strumitsa. Marko is the son of Vulkashin

Thank you for the explanations. We can use some of them but what we need is first name, last name and age. Is it possible to suggest first/last names?

We will avoid using guys that lived in 1200s but if they lived in 1300s it is ok.

The last guys we already have them as part of the serbian empire (Vukasin, Uglijesa, Hlapen).

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

Well , when my new book arrives i'll see if there is more information there and i'll post here what i find. As for the last three i knew they were serbian but decided to add them anyway because information towards the end (the turkish conquest) is so scarce there was not much else to say. The only names that one can be certain lived at or around 1345 (and later) are Balik, Todor and Dobrotitsa, and also that they commanded troops.

I did some reasearch too, mostly on the Bulgarian wikipedia, a lot of stuff haven't been translated in english. I found few candidates
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaloyan_and_Desislava a bit earlier than the tsardoms period
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belaur just few years before the starting date
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momchil
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldimir
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanuka

Here are some info from the bg wiki:
    Despot Voisil he was brother of the Bulgarian tsar Smiletz, he lived in the late 13th and early 14th century he ruled in Kopsis.
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92...F%D0%BE%D1%82)

Sevastokrator Radoslav, brother of Voisil and Smiletz
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0...2%D0%BE%D1%80)

Ognyan he was sevast/bolyar during the rule of tsar Ivan Shisman he was ruler of the fortress of Urvich
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E...0%D1%81%D1%82)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozhenishki_Urvich

Pandazii he was bolyar/logotet in the court of Ivan Alexander
    https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F...B7%D0%B8%D0%B9
    Last edited by hackera96; February 07, 2019 at 03:06 AM.

Thank you very much!! We really needed this. But we need another thing. In the m2tw engine we need first and last name. We cant have a character called Pandazi or Radoslav. We need something like Ivan Radoslav etc

I am aware that in medieval bulgaria like in romania there was not really a distinction like today and people were referred by one name. But can you make up some full names and ages for these guys and look at the list of cities that i posted and suggest in which city they should be?

For all our bulgarian fans, here is a template that would help us have bulgaria as historically correct as possible at the start of the mod:

Settlement/province name -- Character first name -- Character last name -- Character age

Vidin -------------------------- Ivan--------------------- Stratsimir -------------- 20

We need exactly the same for the following settlements, we can have more than one character per settlement:

Sredets
    Tsepina
    Plovdiv
    Kran
    Lovets
    Nikopol
    Tarnovo
    Drastar

If we do not know the first name/last name/age or any of them can you just make a guess/suggestion. We will use whatever we can find.

For example, Voisil seems to be related to Tsar Smilets so perhaps we can have him as Voisil Smilets and place him on the map in one of the settlements. Which one?

The above will be for generals on the map.

After that we also need some suggestions for names of diplomats, spies, priests and assassins. Since Bulgaria is a big faction my suggestion would be:

- 2 diplomats
    - 2 priests
    - 2 spies
    - 1 assassin

Again, feel free to invent names based on historical characters. For example for the two priests maybe suggest the names of two Bulgarian Patriarchs or great priests of the XIVth century.

For example, I have been reading about Belaur and it seems he was from Shishamn dinasty so perhaps we can have him as Belaur Shishman (age 45) and we have to decide if we put him as a general on the map or we put him as diplomat ( he seems to have been a great diplomat of his age according to wiki).

We would really appreciate your help! This will give greater life to medieval bulgaria!
    Last edited by Wallachian; February 07, 2019 at 05:09 AM.

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

Thank you for the template Wallachian. The book i ordered arrived today and it has more than 1300 personalities from medieval Bulgaria, but that includes the first tsardom and Volga Bulgaria too. Sadly the book is in alphabetical and not chronological order so i will have to read all of it to filter the needed information. I'll try to fill the template, and if there is no historical information i'll invent the names, but still with names from the period so they at least sound as realistic as possible. The priests will be the easiest (since most sources are religious in nature) ...

Great job, @wallachian

small correction: when available, it would be preferable to have surnames, even when they are uncertain, like what you said about Belaur. But they are not a must. Personally, when there is no idea what the surname was, I’d avoid inventing the surname. Instead, create a by-name. For a example: a given character named Ivan was important in the Rhodope area, he could be called “Ivan of Rhodope” or “Ivan of Tsepina”, for example, even if he was not historically known this way.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)