Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

That is true, I did not think of that. Indeed if we don't have a surname or we have no idea we can use the place names!

For example, I looked up Yanuka and he seems to have been a ruler in Sredets so he could be Yanuka of Sredets and of course he can be located in Sredets. So perhaps we have covered our first noble and city. Same for Ognian we could have him as Ognian of Urvich. He seems to be close to Sredets as well though.

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

OK , understood. It will take me some time to sift trough the book ( it's 700 pages ). When i'm done i'll post the template with the names.

No problems, take your time. We have plenty of other things to do in the meantime. But we do appreciate the help.

Wall for now i onl have the info that Novo Brdo vas the greatest serbian city and the speculation of the population goes from 5000 to 50 000.
    The serbian guy who responded thinks that 10-20 k inhabitants is more likley true.What we know is that Novo Brdo had 7 curches and that it vas biger than london at that time.

He alsov says that the population number changed wery fast depending on diging actions organised by the state.They where mining silver so they called in al the serfs who stayed there until the work vas done.

So the best gues is 10-20k

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Well, wasn't London bigger than that in the middle of the 14th century? It also possessed way more than seven churches (something like 110, I think).

Apparently, yes, it was:
    Trade increased steadily during the Middle Ages, and London grew rapidly as a result. In 1100, London's population was somewhat more than 15,000. By 1300, it had grown to roughly 80,000. London lost at least half of its population during the Black Death in the mid-14th century, but its economic and political importance stimulated a rapid recovery despite further epidemics.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

I du not know that im just writing what that guy wrote.

Will this mod have a single player campaign sometime this year?

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    Will this mod have a single player campaign sometime this year?
    Likely yes, a simplified beta.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

OK , here's the list :

Bdin : First name - Draksin, Last name - of Bdin (?), Age - (?)
    Sredets: First name - Yanko, Last name - of Sredets (?), Age - (?)
    Tsepina: First name - Momchil, Last name - of Rhodopes (?), Age - 30/35 (?)
    Plovdiv: First name - Ivan, Last name - Rusina, Age - (?)
    Kran: First name - Aldimir, Last name - Terter, Age - (?)
    Lovets: First name - Ognyan, Last name - of Lovets (?) - Age - (?)
    Nikopol: First name - Balin, Last name - of Nikopol (?) - Age - (?)
    Tarnovo: First name - Mladen, Last name - of Tarnovo (?) - Age - (?) ... (But shouldn't the tsar be the lord of Tarnovo?)
    Drastar: First name - Ivan, Last name - Sratsimir - Age - (?)

Here's a pool of female names if you need them for the family tree : Boleslava , Beloslava , Areta , Irina , Anna , Maria , Borisina , Zoe (Zoya) , Roxana , Dragma , Kali , Mara , Dafina , Vasilisa , Viola , Ventsislava , Belya , Desislava , Vladislava , Evdokiya (Eudoxia) , Dobrina , Doroteya (Dorotea) , Dragana , Doya , Ekaterina , Elena , Efimiya (Efimia) , Efrosina , Gradina , Smiletsa , Kera Tamara , Keratsa , Petritsa , Lola , Marina , Miroslava , Sofia , Okeana , Varvara , Tekla , Marta , Elisaveta , Visha, Zaritsa, Bela, Boryana, Dragula, Nejdana, Maritsa, Snegula, Slavitsa, Rosa, Rositsa, Struma, Tsarena, Tikha, Paraskeva,

Here's a pool of commoner names ( spies , assassins , rebels ) unav, Izpor, Koko, Teto, Voislav, Dragoi, Kalush, Boris, Boril, Bratan, Bratil, Varakur, Konstantin Vasko, Georgi Vasko, Vlado, Ivan the Swineherd, Barko, Brayno, Varlam, Gerasim, Damyan, Dobrota, Dragiya, Ignat, Izboya, Kale, Luka, Makavey, Neofit, Novak, Radi, Rad, Rusan, Sava, Sasil, Singur, Stefan, Stoyan, Teodor, Hinat, Gradislav, Ohreda, Murtat, Stanilo, Nikita, Murta Prekochel, Borilo, Anton, Mihail, Momchil, Nikola, Perun, Hito, Kodan, Belko. Belyan, Bodin, Brail, Velikokosta, Valkan, Vlado, Visho, Gorunak, Dobrika, Dobro, Dragin, Zagorin, Kardam, Kolar, Kuril, Kraiko, Manaster, Nenko, Pribo, Prodan, Radin, Radko, Robo, Rusin, Ruso, Slano, Stan, Stanul, Stayko, Slav, Studen, Chernat, Trayan, Peso, Dramesh, Hris, Hohoe, Dragan, Zlatko, Oliver, Dikeo, Ramata, Stanishta, Barko, Birko, Brato, Vakil, Vasil, Gago, Dvorko, Drago, Yovan, Yoakim, Irnik, Kort, Kostadin, Mosko, Nikodim, Nikola, Parlig, Radomir, Svarog, Sergii, Staiko, Stanko, Hrabro, Hras, Shidal, Shishman.

Tomorrow i'll post a group of priest names ( which are by far the most numerous in the book ) , and also some names of diplomats. Also if you want i can write a little bit more about the governors so as to illustrate why i chose them. As for the ages ... there is little to no information about them , you will probably have to set them ages based on gameplay considerations or something like that.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

I believe they it works is we add some characters and name them with a family tree and we compelete a list of first and last names. Further characters will then randomly get some of those.

I am surprised to see so little is left of the records for this period of Bulgarian history.

Thanks Peko that is great!

But just one thing. The M2TW engine does not have separate name pools for priests, nobles, commoners etc. It is the same name pool for all of them. The way it works in medieval 2 is we have:

male names
    female names
    last names

That is it (there is a few variations of the last names like adding the great, the conqueror etc.).

So no need to actually create a name pool of priests. We just need the names of 2-3 important priests/bishops/patriarchs at the start of the mod and the names of a few important diplomats at the start of the mod.

Considering that we cant have a split between noble and commoner names are all the names that you posted above ok to be used as part of the mod? Keeping in mind that generals will get them aswell.
    Last edited by Wallachian; February 14, 2019 at 07:33 AM.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Do excuse me for my bad English, I write sometimes when I am on a smoking pause and dont have time to check everything properly.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

@Wallachian

Do you have any sources on medieval Romanian names? I'm rather curious to learn more about them.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    @Wallachian

Do you have any sources on medieval Romanian names? I'm rather curious to learn more about them.
    Yes, I have quite a lot of them. It is very interesting because many first names in medieval times are actually last names in modern times.

For example, names like Dragomir, Stanciu, Stroe, Preda etc. were all first names. Actually, last names did not even really exist. People had last names based either on who their father was or where they were from.

The names in the XIV, XV centuries are a very interesting names and we even have a few boyars who were from obvious Cuman stock such as Nan Udoba, Tolaba, Toxaba, Borcea, Hamza.

If you are interested in sources here is a few of them:
    http://www.academia.edu/30679305/Fam...are_autentice_
    https://www.scribd.com/document/3401...a-Sec-xiv-xvii

All of the starting characters on the map for Wallachia are based on real boyars that lived in the XIVth century. I would love to do that for every single faction. Hence why we are asking help from the community.

Imagine starting Tsardoms with famous people going from Renaissance figures such as Boccaccio, Petrarch, Simone Boccanegra, Federico de Montefeltro to Balkan heroes like Dusan IV, Lazar Hrebeljanovic, Ivan Alexander, Lajos the Great, Basarab I, Dragos, Bogdan I. I am planning to populate even all the rebel cities with their respective leaders of the time, for example in Ukraine we will have heroes such Dmitri Liubartas, George Koriatovich.

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

Well , for the two priest names i chose those : Parteniy (Partenius) - Metropolitan of Sredets , Evtimiy (Euthymius) - Patriarch of Bulgaria
    For diplomats that's what i found : Grud, Dobromir, Yosif Katar, Pancho, Pandaziy, Belaur Shishman (although i really didn't want to include Belaur because he was somewhat of a traitor).
    As for the names in the list , they are all names of commoners and maybe i should add some noble names too. For the most part the commoner and noble names should be interchangeable. The real problem is that all those names are secular, and i really don't think they are fully interchangeable with priest names as they used church names.That's why i thought a separate priest name pool would have been handy, but sadly M2TW doesn't work like that. Now, for the family names ... there are a few, like the more famous Shishman, Terter and Asen. But other than them there at most 2-3 more family names in the whole book.Right now i'm playing Europa Barbarorum II , and they seem to use '' of (City name)'' for last names. Might i suggest using this for family names?
    @Hrobatos - So little is left from the medieval Bulgarian history, because the turks were very thorough in destroying anything that could remind the Bulgarian people of their glorious history... Churches , monasteries , libraries , fortresses, castles - almost everything was systematically destroyed. Indeed it is a miracle that any historical records survived. Still, a lot of the sources are archeological, like tomb stones , gold and silver rings , graffiti on walls.

PekoBG's Avatar Laetus

Also , Asen and Shishman were common first names in the XIV century , but they should be removed from the list of first names so as to avoid guys named Shishman Shishman or Asen Asen Tomorrow (if i have time) i'll post some of the backstory of the governors/garrison commanders i chose, along some more first names but this time from nobles.

Great thank you very much for all information! This is extremely helpful. It is fine, we don't need more than 2-3 diplomats. Maybe we can make Belaur a spy or an assassin instead of a diplomat. Just remember we need: first name, last name and age. Even if they are not known we still need them for the game. So we can't have Grud, Dobromir, Pancho, Pandaziy because that is only one name, we need a second name and an age. Can you also give us that too?

Yes, unfortunately M2TW is very old and quite limited. But it still offers the best modding possibilities out of all the Total War games.

We already have a list of Bulgarian list of medieval names and last names. What we really needed was the actual historical people that lived in the mid XIVth century and I think that we have enough now.

No need to give us a backstory for the characters unless you are just happy to do it for fun's sake
    Last edited by Wallachian; February 15, 2019 at 03:29 AM.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    No need to give us a backstory for the characters unless you are just happy to do it for fun's sake
    We could include that too actually, like they did in Bellum Crucis where every character has a trait called biography and when you hover over it all the information is shown

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Yes, I have quite a lot of them. It is very interesting because many first names in medieval times are actually last names in modern times.

For example, names like Dragomir, Stanciu, Stroe, Preda etc. were all first names. Actually, last names did not even really exist. People had last names based either on who their father was or where they were from.

The names in the XIV, XV centuries are a very interesting names and we even have a few boyars who were from obvious Cuman stock such as Nan Udoba, Tolaba, Toxaba, Borcea, Hamza.
    These names are a fascinating window into early medieval Wallachia and Moldova. Especially the time before we have written records from the region.

I'm going to have a great weekend
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance