Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Marble Emperor's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

It’s actually not so hard to do, rigging is the hardest part, and that’s more tedious than it is difficult.

Kirijakos's Avatar Libertus

Is there any news, some dates, at least months when we can expect u with something?

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Sorry but these sort of questions never have answers. Modding is a hobby and very time consuming. So it is impossible to say when anything will be ready since we don't work on any sort of schedule. When we will have any news we will post them on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Sorry but these sort of questions never have answers. Modding is a hobby and very time consuming. So it is impossible to say when anything will be ready since we don't work on any sort of schedule. When we will have any news we will post them on the forum.
    I have actually been keeping my eye on this mod and your page on moddb, for the past 4 to 5 years at least, but I never bothered to comment before. I only wished to say that it is and was from the very start when you started this escapade a completely wrong policy to follow, in showing off a mod, at the same time claiming it was never dead and teasing it on moddb for several years without release. The mentality of your thinking or whoever else is involved often went through the back of mind in circles ever since, simply wondering how on realistic terms what somebody actually looks to gain in life by showing off a mod, when they know better than anyone else they have a long journey ahead of them. This creates an extremely difficult situation for everybody. There have been modders and modders over the years of different character, Two of these is the type who actually takes the position of viewers, players, spectators etc, and respects people's patience from the moment of announcement, especially when you have a community who despite how much difficulty they have in waiting and being "teased" they nevertheless continue to support you years on indefinitely. And then every now and then there would be other sort of modders popping up in our time, which to this day I never fully understood. You have done a ton of work and you are nearly done, but your attitude over the years never made any different from these kid modders posting a new mod on moddb because they get some idea of superiority going on in their head, not giving any evidence of work or a basic plan of their future goals or release and at the same time ask for help and try to recruit modders on the first day of announcement.
    In my opinion, you and them, ought to just shut up about it and your work which you consider a private affair made on your own time and stop making it a public affair by even announcing your mod or publicly talking down on people who are less patient than others who demand a release date by telling them its a private affair.. You should have announced it now, now that it is in Beta, never before. I always admired perfection and I noticed what good work you made on the strategic map and it is to be commended. There are people with a perfectionist character who want to spend years and years on something to get the result they want. I think it is a wonderful trait. However we don't need to involve anyone else in our eccentric habits nor start a problematic future where endless of comments are just asking about a release date if nothing else. In other words it's not these people's fault for not "understanding" you, it's actually your fault. It is your responsibility.
    Regardless, despite being glad you are almost done and you have almost finished your mod, I cannot say that I am happy since personally I had some more free time to play games in general perhaps 2 years ago but definitely not now. Things changed dramatically in my life and living in currently dangerous situations as we all in a way so it is unlikely I may even get to enjoy this ancient mod when and if you if decide to release. I am just giving you an example that apart from me there could be others or thousands of players who might have liked to try your mod perhaps 2 years ago and were in a position to do so, but people also have a life to deal with. People move on, relatives die. It is not sane, if not polite to keep people we do not know on tenterhooks indefinitely. If I were a modder I would definitely never do that, and if I were a perfectionist I would simply work on my mod without being involved with moddb or the forums till most of my work was done. And I am 99% certain that I speak the minds of all those thousands of viewers that have viewed your mod all this time on moddb, were 90% never bothered to comment. And I am not exaggerating your mod has nearly cramped up almost half a million views. If nobody thought of telling you all of these obvious things, it might as well have been me. So next time you decide to start a new mod and want to do a good job about it, don't announce till you are in Beta or something. Meanwhile the rest of us have to worry about work right now and think about life's needs. Sayionara and thanks for the pretty pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by oorestis View Post
    I have actually been keeping my eye on this mod and your page on moddb, for the past 4 to 5 years at least, but I never bothered to comment before. I only wished to say that it is and was from the very start when you started this escapade a completely wrong policy to follow, in showing off a mod, at the same time claiming it was never dead and teasing it on moddb for several years without release. The mentality of your thinking or whoever else is involved often went through the back of mind in circles ever since, simply wondering how on realistic terms what somebody actually looks to gain in life by showing off a mod, when they know better than anyone else they have a long journey ahead of them. This creates an extremely difficult situation for everybody. There have been modders and modders over the years of different character, Two of these is the type who actually takes the position of viewers, players, spectators etc, and respects people's patience from the moment of announcement, especially when you have a community who despite how much difficulty they have in waiting and being "teased" they nevertheless continue to support you years on indefinitely. And then every now and then there would be other sort of modders popping up in our time, which to this day I never fully understood. You have done a ton of work and you are nearly done, but your attitude over the years never made any different from these kid modders posting a new mod on moddb because they get some idea of superiority going on in their head, not giving any evidence of work or a basic plan of their future goals or release and at the same time ask for help and try to recruit modders on the first day of announcement.
    In my opinion, you and them, ought to just shut up about it and your work which you consider a private affair made on your own time and stop making it a public affair by even announcing your mod or publicly talking down on people who are less patient than others who demand a release date by telling them its a private affair.. You should have announced it now, now that it is in Beta, never before. I always admired perfection and I noticed what good work you made on the strategic map and it is to be commended. There are people with a perfectionist character who want to spend years and years on something to get the result they want. I think it is a wonderful trait. However we don't need to involve anyone else in our eccentric habits nor start a problematic future where endless of comments are just asking about a release date if nothing else. In other words it's not these people's fault for not "understanding" you, it's actually your fault. It is your responsibility.
    Regardless, despite being glad you are almost done and you have almost finished your mod, I cannot say that I am happy since personally I had some more free time to play games in general perhaps 2 years ago but definitely not now. Things changed dramatically in my life and living in currently dangerous situations as we all in a way so it is unlikely I may even get to enjoy this ancient mod when and if you if decide to release. I am just giving you an example that apart from me there could be others or thousands of players who might have liked to try your mod perhaps 2 years ago and were in a position to do so, but people also have a life to deal with. People move on, relatives die. It is not sane, if not polite to keep people we do not know on tenterhooks indefinitely. If I were a modder I would definitely never do that, and if I were a perfectionist I would simply work on my mod without being involved with moddb or the forums till most of my work was done. And I am 99% certain that I speak the minds of all those thousands of viewers that have viewed your mod all this time on moddb, were 90% never bothered to comment. And I am not exaggerating your mod has nearly cramped up almost half a million views. If nobody thought of telling you all of these obvious things, it might as well have been me. So next time you decide to start a new mod and want to do a good job about it, don't announce till you are in Beta or something. Meanwhile the rest of us have to worry about work right now and think about life's needs. Sayionara and thanks for the pretty pictures!
    99% of mods work on the same path. It's impossible to estimate how much time team members will have and how much testing and work is necessary to finish it. All mods do previews and, some takes years to finish. So what. What is even your point? You don't like seeing pictures of a mod that's not finished? I am baffled. Who cares if you won't play it when it's released. If you don't like it don't watch the previews. Or do you think you are somehow entitled to play the mod? The modders should forget about their personal things to appease you, despite the fact that they make the mod for free on their own free time? I don't think this forum allows for personal attacks, so i'm not going to say much more.
    Last edited by Frunk; May 19, 2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Un-needed comment removed.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Thank you for your comment. I understand you, I really do. Most people don't have the patience to wait for such a mod to be released and that's ok. But unfortunately this is what modding works. It takes many years for a proper mod to be done. I have only now just started playing Atilla Total War mods because I know how many years it takes for a mod to finish. And even now i think it's a bit early and most mods are not quite finished and it will probably take 1-2 more years until they will be polished enough. There are even Rome 1 mods which are in development and not yet finished which i have been following and can not wait to play.

You may not know this, but Tsardoms has died 3 times in the past. It was started over 12 years ago by some people, then those people left, then it was picked up by another set of people and they left and then once again it was picked up by other people. So don't think that the same people that started the mod are going to finish it. Not even close. Most people that are working on the mod today have never talked to the people that started the mod all those years ago.

I get that you don't like this type of previews but most mods want to show their work. A lot of people like to follow mods and their progress. Most mods are never ever finished, they show some progress and then the die. The whole idea is to show progress in order to attract more people to your work. If we didn't show progress pictures we would never have had modders such as jurcek, kanteljic or alondite join us. And if they didn't join us than we would have never got to where we are. So the progress pictures is what got this mod to where it is.

And 2 years ago the mod was not playable, there was not even a proper map back then. All we could have released 2 years ago was just another version of the battle beta with additional units. In fact, the mod was virtually unplayable 6 months ago. We only had a playable internal version of the mod back in March. Before that most of the team members never got to even play the mod campaign. So don't think we had playable version of the mod and we didn't release it because we didn't. We just reached this milestone recently.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

There're so many great unfinished and abandoned mods that it's quite a miracle that Tsardoms has speeded up so much in the recent months. I have lost hopes a few years ago but your recent work gives it back. Just keep it up.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

This is how modding in general works. Someone starts a project and starts a page where he reports about his progress and plans. He hopes to find other people willing to aid him.

Since every mod is free project its not possible to predct when its going to be done, or if its ever be done.

If someone has an issue with that they should keep to released mods section and avoid Work-in-Progress ( WIP ) section.

I love to check sometimes WIP section and see what kind of new projects there are and check progress of others. I have seen manny mods released and countless others abandoned. It is just the way modding works, especialy with total overhauls which are huge modifications and generaly take years for large and dedicated team to complete.

As Wall said this is third team working on Tsardoms. Two times was this project completely shut down and abandoned. But like a phoenix we are reborn from ashes.

Greetings, oorestis! I hope you are doing well

Thank you for your interest in this beloved project of ours. I don't usually reply in threads, as my own teammates know. But I really feel some clarifications would be in place.

As previously said three generations have come and gone into the development team, and countless hundreds of hours have been dedicated by many many people, just out of pure passion and interest in the region and timeframe. I am myself a very example of that. I came across Tsardoms (and twcenter.net itself for that matter) back in 2013 after many Google searches trying to find a nice mod focusing on the Balkans. I joined the forum specifically because of Tsardoms, and Tsardoms is also the reason why I learned how to mod a campaign entirely just by reading tutorials and through lots and lots of trial and error. Funny story, after following (passively, mind you) this mod for around 2 and a half years, I got tired of waiting the release and learned how to mod instead of vomiting my frustrations to the team. So, when the mod died the last time in 2016, I had the basic skills to step in and volunteered to joined the team.

As you pointed out yourself, life goes on. People work, people get married, people get kids and countless other personal affairs. This is a hobby to all of us, we mod cause we find pleasure in doing so in our free time for no payment whatsoever. No, we do not have any pleasure by (what you appear to think is) teasing and stringing along followers. We share the work we are pround of creating and progress we worked hard to achieve. We share it for fans who actually appreciate it and are supportive. We appreciate so much these fans, that some of them were handpicked and invited to participate in the current closed beta testing. This is the kind of fans we have in mind when we make previews.

I am the the one who created pretty much from scratch the campaign map you liked. Thank you for your compliment on it, by the way.

You are the kind of follower that spends "4 or 5 years at least" passively watching, never even making a single comment, someone who no one from the team even knows exists. Up until now, there is no problem in doing this, no one is forced to step up or even give words of incentive. The problem starts when such "follower" comes out of the depths of whatever hole in the ground he was hiding and tell the team that in his unwanted opinion the developer's attitude is wrong, and they should just shut up and only announce or preview anything when the mod is ready to be released. That is the joke of the decade. Or maybe the joke of the decade is that the previews of the mod progress "create an extremely difficult situation for everybody". It would only be a problem if some sadist had tied said "follower" to a chair with his eyes forcefuly shut open and forced him to navigate through Tsardoms preview pages for the past years. If that is the case, I sincerely apologize. If not, this person is very welcome to go away, never come back and never play Tsardoms. I guarantee he will not be missed and that literally no one will force him either to follow this mod, nor to play it.

Now speaking on my behalf only and not necessarily the team's: I don't care at all about the worthless opinion of alleged "followers" such as yourself. If you think like this, the very least civil thing to do is swallow this opinion and keep it to yourself. If it was just for the likes of you, I personally would as well never release anything, and just keep everything to the team and people actually involved, even when everything eventually became perfectly playable.

If you specifically had all the time in the world to play Tsardoms some years ago, but now you can't anymore, tough luck. I couldn't care less about your frustrations or weather you play Tsardoms or not. You lost any shot of empathy and understanding from me due to your spoiled bratty-ass attitued on your post. You might as well have done the reasonable thing that you are 99% certain the 90% of the viewers that never commented on moddb chose to do: shut up and wait patiently for the release or just give up on playing the mod.

I sincerely wish all the best to you and the marvellous mod project your genius and entitled mind will come up with. But of course, I am sure you will only make any kind of annoument once it's ready to be release. I really look forward to playing it!

Cheers, my friend!
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Speaking as a modder of my own long-term WIP, I can say that sharing progress on my mod, or lack thereof, with the fans and followers I am very grateful to have, actually does serve a very important purpose: motivation. Comments asking how progress is growing, or if the mod is "dead", keep the mod alive. People showing they are interested, helps keep me interested in creating the mod, because it is a big labour of love. Some modders might be able to do it alone, without that motivation. Personally, I'm not one of them.

I agree with you there, Frunk. It’s always welcome when people show some interest and ask how is progress, if the work is underway etc. People who come to us acting respectfully and genuinely interested really is a source of motivation.
    Tsardoms: Total War
    Former Campaign Manager
    Semi-retired (or maybe semi-active? who knows...)

yup
    we cant vait

Hi! I'm one of the passive followers and I just wanted to thank all the team for your amazing work and to say that I find oorestis' comment very ungrateful and pretentious. I don't know why he thinks modders are bad people that just want to play with people's feelings and ruin their hopes with teasers and I don't know why he assumes everyone thinks the same. I have been following this mod for 6-7 years and honestly I was about to giving up precisely because of the lack of previews and news. Yeah, we got the battle beta, that was great, but how many years of the development required? And technically they were just units, amazing and beautiful of course, but still very far away from a complete and playable mod. So I almost decided to stop checking the mod until I saw kanteljic's previews. Not only his map is the best MIITW modded map imho, but it also made me believe that a release was possible, because with a finished map, they can start scripting, testing and balacing, and when that it's done it means the mod it's almost done. And here we are finally with betatesters posting their campaigns in the forum. So thank you all again for your efforts and determination on finishing Tsardom Total War

LOL
    milenials being hurt by everything
    #duchebags

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

@oorestis,

Not to beat a dead horse. but...

Sometimes you have to put your big boy pants on and deal with the realities of life. Modder's give the all too common answer of the mod is done 'when it's done' for a reason.

Perfect example: the Ancient Empires modding team for Rome 2 made the bold move of having a release date, and guess what? They didn't meet that date because...it's a mod that they work on in their free time! They aren't on a development schedule, genius! 99.9% of mods never have release dates--it simply does not happen, barring rare exceptions. It's very puzzling that you would express yourself the way that you did as we are as close as ever to seeing Tsardoms available to the public.

You come off as very entitled in your post. I'm not quite sure what the point of your feedback was. Like others have stated before, you might as well have kept your opinions to youself. I doubt you have the grit to come back to this thread and address the responses to your post, but have a great life, buddy. Don't worry, we'll be alright

Respect to the Tsardoms team for showing class in the face of that odd, butt-hurt post.

@Subich

Easy now, partner. As a millennial (albeit an older one), its not fair to paint us all with the same brush. Then again, that's what the older generations do
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; May 22, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

I think it's time to slow down, orrestis has made his point and in my opinion everyone has right to do so. Then modders have another point of view and there is not problem. No point of bashing him either.

Let's rather talk about that interest everyone here: the mod itself.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Myself included-- some opinions or comments stink and they get the sort of response that they deserve (more or less). I think once you're telling a mod team to 'shut up', you lose a lot of credibility and open yourself up for ridicule. Like a said earlier, many of the Tsardoms team members showed class by the moderation in their responses. Me? Not so much.

We're good here, buddy. No need to police people's tone.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the focus of the thread should be the progress of the mod.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; May 22, 2020 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    @oorestis,

Not to beat a dead horse. but...

Sometimes you have to put your big boy pants on and deal with the realities of life. Modder's give the all too common answer of the mod is done 'when it's done' for a reason.

Perfect example: the Ancient Empires modding team for Rome 2 made the bold move of having a release date, and guess what? They didn't meet that date because...it's a mod that they work on in their free time! They aren't on a development schedule, genius! 99.9% of mods never have release dates--it simply does not happen, barring rare exceptions. It's very puzzling that you would express yourself the way that you did as we are as close as ever to seeing Tsardoms available to the public.

You come off as very entitled in your post. I'm not quite sure what the point of your feedback was. Like others have stated before, you might as well have kept your opinions to youself. I doubt you have the grit to come back to this thread and address the responses to your post, but have a great life, buddy. Don't worry, we'll be alright

Respect to the Tsardoms team for showing class in the face of that odd, butt-hurt post.

@Subich

Easy now, partner. As a millennial (albeit an older one), its not fair to paint us all with the same brush. Then again, that's what the older generations do
    Im a milenial to but i gave an 80 or 90 kid soul

As a lurker in the shadows I feel as if I can finally come out lol. Mainly because Total War Center's registration tends to be annoying as hell.

I'm glad to see the progress on the mod, the mini-campaigns that get posted etc. Not gonna lie I wish there could be an open beta but I understand wanting to release something finished. But tbf the mod already looks like it's an amazing state

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Wagh View Post
    I'm glad to see the progress on the mod, the mini-campaigns that get posted etc. Not gonna lie I wish there could be an open beta but I understand wanting to release something finished. But tbf the mod already looks like it's an amazing state
    It's in a good state but we still need to finish some important things. There is still a lot of work to do, especially in relation to events and traits. Next thing I'm going to do will be to add a finance script for Tsardoms.