Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Awesome stuff guys! I'm more looking forward to this than anything else in the Total War pipeline!
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

We have to also give credit to jukoman from russian forums who originally created the king model.

There are more units of Jukoman. He should definetly be credited, pls do it. He also have profile here.

yes bans didnt had any hats

i meant crowns
    BTW
    will croatia be so small?

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

It wont be proper Croatia, its gonna be based of a following scenario. In 1345 Mladen III Subic wanted to raise a rebbelion against Hungarian Angevin king Louis and restore power of Subic House. His grandfather Pavle Subic was only person ever to receive title of ban of Croatia as hereditary title, and ruled most of Croatia as de-facto independent ruler as well as conquered Bosnia. His son Mladen II was defeated in 1322. by a coalliton of royal and Croatian magnate armies which lead to downfall of Subici.

Anyway Mladen III was preparing rebbelion, and married his sister to Bosnian ban, married himself to a sister of Serbian tsar Dusan, and had his brother married to a Venetian noble women, thus alliance formed with each of those factions. His preparations failed because he died of plague in 1348., and king Louis campaigned in Croatia at the time, and managed to bring unruly magnates back under royal controle.

We decided to use this scenario to make Croatia as a faction, it will only include those areas which didnt recognized royal authority, so most of Croatia ( like Slavonia or northern Dalmatia ) will remain in control of Hungarian Crown. Hungary will have to restore order there, but if someone looks for very chalenging campaign, one can try to win independence for Croatia. Hugary if howover probably most powerfull faction at the start of the game, as well as with the king and royal troops in Croatia, so its gonna be tough ride.

Croatian faction will thus at start only control area of modern central Dalmatia, regions of Split and Knin.

Tommygunz's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Makes me immediately think of ban Jelačić, I guess that's because I used to see a lot of him going to college every day..

Though I'm not sure if those kinds of hats were still in fashion by his time. I guess the statue might just be a romantic depiction anyway. Or maybe he would just wear anything to cover up his lack of hair

I didn't even know you guys decided to add a playable Croatia, that's pretty awesome! Will it be playable from the start or will you have to play as Hungary and go through some event for it to appear, or something like that?

I was super excited to play this anyway, now I'm even a little more excited. Great work guys! This and TGC are the reasons I still keep M2TW on my computer haha. Hopefully they'll both see the light of day soon

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    It wont be proper Croatia, its gonna be based of a following scenario. In 1345 Mladen III Subic wanted to raise a rebbelion against Hungarian Angevin king Louis and restore power of Subic House. His grandfather Pavle Subic was only person ever to receive title of ban of Croatia as hereditary title, and ruled most of Croatia as de-facto independent ruler as well as conquered Bosnia. His son Mladen II was defeated in 1322. by a coalliton of royal and Croatian magnate armies which lead to downfall of Subici.

Anyway Mladen III was preparing rebbelion, and married his sister to Bosnian ban, married himself to a sister of Serbian tsar Dusan, and had his brother married to a Venetian noble women, thus alliance formed with each of those factions. His preparations failed because he died of plague in 1348., and king Louis campaigned in Croatia at the time, and managed to bring unruly magnates back under royal controle.

We decided to use this scenario to make Croatia as a faction, it will only include those areas which didnt recognized royal authority, so most of Croatia ( like Slavonia or northern Dalmatia ) will remain in control of Hungarian Crown. Hungary will have to restore order there, but if someone looks for very chalenging campaign, one can try to win independence for Croatia. Hugary if howover probably most powerfull faction at the start of the game, as well as with the king and royal troops in Croatia, so its gonna be tough ride.

Croatian faction will thus at start only control area of modern central Dalmatia, regions of Split and Knin.
    Actualy historyans claim that the document where the king gives him the right to pas on the ban title is a forgery by the ban himself!
    Ban vast a nobleman title but a rank or a statesman job/title like a captn of a city or something so it does not make sense.
    The campagne will be so hard hopefuly croatia will have super strong units

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Oh nice, didn't knew that Croatia is gonna be a playable faction. Will probably be one of the hardest factions together with the Byzantines, Ragusa and Bosnia (if it doesn't get a roster upgrade).

its the newest faction

I hope you found time to fix the byzantine roster aswell, great preview btw!

Why fix the roster? It has been finished for years.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Didn't you want to give them at least one gunpowder unit?

They do have access to gunpowder units. Remember factions also get mercenaries. The romans will have access to latin mercs, italian mercs, german mercs etc. All factions have gunpowder units, they might just not be native

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They have access to Latin Handgunners

Edit: Wallachian beat me to it

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Man, no mod better encapsulates the Medieval period. The prospect of both this mod & TGC being (possibly) released this year is huge.

It's been a long road, but no other mods compare in terms of quality. Event he more established, highly regarded released mods use LOTS of vanilla assets. This is been built up from the dirt. This feels and looks so focused and detailed. Congrats guys. MTW2 activity will explode once this mod drops.

It's not a big deal at all, but i noticed some textures and 3d parts in units like pronoiarii and kavallaroi that need to be fixed. On the other hand the most part of the units are very detailed and well done, so i thought you planned to finish them later.

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    They're mostly old models that had to be reworked. Previously they were too complex for the poor old M2 campaign engine to handle. Some are new, like this dude

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That province map does not really make sense for the medieval period, it, as usually, wrong for medieval balkan borders, follows the souhern Dalmatian border line set up by the Venetian wars of the 17th and 18th century.

During the medieval period, Croatia's eastern border fluctuated constantly, but it most often narrowed around the river Neretva to the south;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygunz View Post
    Though I'm not sure if those kinds of hats were still in fashion by his time. I guess the statue might just be a romantic depiction anyway. Or maybe he would just wear anything to cover up his lack of hair
    The most Croat of all the Bosnians is depicted in his most famous misal as wearing a similar hat;

https://i.imgur.com/mO9zf9x.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PavleSubich View Post
    Actualy historyans claim that the document where the king gives him the right to pas on the ban title is a forgery by the ban himself!
    No, that is merely a point of discussion by a few, obviously not argued as a claim or fact.
    Most argue that it would be nonsensical to forge such a document.

It would also be quite strange for his son to inherit the title and, along with the father, hold the title for 49 years, by far the longest of all family reigns holding the title in a single sitting, and for the king to require a civil war to remove him of the same title, if it was not true.

Tommygunz's Avatar Libertus

I also wonder whether in this scenario Mladen Šubić would use the red&white Croatian chequy as his CoA (especially with the crown above). It seems more likely to me he would use the CoA of his house - the black wings on the red background which is on some of the Croatian knights that jurcek has shown us (which is an excellent detail, along with f.e. the CoA of house Krčki - just another reason to love this mod's dedication to historical accuracy).

Maybe the chequy does make more sense, I'm not sure.. I don't have a definite answer but it's worth thinking about I guess.