Thread: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - General Discussion & Progress

you cant play the game and look at the prety models
    you can only do one thing

Just want to say thank you to all the team and everyone who helped for this mod its only a mod i could wish for. That Vlad unit looks awesome would love to see what the Ottoman Sultan looks like . I have a question regarding battles are they going to be slow paced or quick i hate to see units routing early on in battles from all the mods ive played i think BC nailed it with battles would like to know what they will be like in this mod. And will Timur be invading Anatolia to cause absolute chaos. Thank you.

There is a battle beta try the battles then u will know!

I did try it kept crashing to desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud700 View Post
    Just want to say thank you to all the team and everyone who helped for this mod its only a mod i could wish for. That Vlad unit looks awesome would love to see what the Ottoman Sultan looks like . I have a question regarding battles are they going to be slow paced or quick i hate to see units routing early on in battles from all the mods ive played i think BC nailed it with battles would like to know what they will be like in this mod. And will Timur be invading Anatolia to cause absolute chaos. Thank you.
    The battles are quite well balanced imho. If something i would say the units maybe rout a bit too late, but it's been well researched and i really enjoyed them being a MTWII mods veteran myself. And yes, Timur will invade. I won't spoil it too much, but i will say that playing as the Ottomans i was really nervous even before they were supposed to arrive, you feel something is coming for quite a long time and it keeps you nervous

That sounds epic i cant wait. Thank you for reply.

It worked for all of us u must have done something wrong with your vanila game or u need to redownload

here is a battle video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh9jmhPMYY

How are Jihads gonna work? I think I saw one screenshot with Constantinople getting swarmed by Jihad stacks like in most mods and vanilla, and honestly it just rubs me the wrong way. I am no expert by any means on era and location, but I do not recall nor I can picture all the Emirates on Asia Minor uniting to attack Constantinopole, and from the gameplay standpoint, Byzantines should have it hard as it is, and Constantinople should be their last bastion, their last line, it should not get taken out so quickly and easily.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Yes, you are right. Both Jihads and Crusades tend to create big spam stacks towards their targets. It's been an ongoing issue in the beta testing. Mind you, what you saw at Constantinopole are not all the Emirates unting, each have their own Jihad, many of them are at war with each other. The problem is that neither Crusades nor Jihads can be modded other than setting a list of targets. So we either just leave it as it is in vanilla and just remove Constantinopole from the list of targets or we just remove Crusades and Jihads completely.

Well as you said even the Crusades are iffy, but they did KIND OF exist still then and even after, but again, I know of instance where the Islamic powers in Anatolya unite in one assault.

But for now, maybe the safest test would be to just remove Constantinople as a target?

Thing is that all those Jihads you saw were not able to take Constantinopole. The city is still in Byzantine hands in my playthrough. It's got the Genoese Galata colony next to it. And whenever an army besieges Constantinopole they get reinforcements from Galata.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Thing is that all those Jihads you saw were not able to take Constantinopole. The city is still in Byzantine hands in my playthrough. It's got the Genoese Galata colony next to it. And whenever an army besieges Constantinopole they get reinforcements from Galata.
    Yes Galata helps out there a lot. It surprised myself in my Ottoman campaign. Genoese have usually a strong presence there, and given how close the cities are they always help out the Romans when attacked, which is a very nice feature.

I do think sometimes Crusades can get overwhelming, like every nation basically sending armies vs some province, so it's something that could be potentially tweaked, but not really a huge priority imo

Problem is that it can't be tweaked. Crusades are pretty much hardcoded there are very few things that can be changed other than the crusade targets. Ideally their frequency should be reduced and also the movement range of crusader armies should be reduced too.

Can their frequency and intensity be changed? Like make them more rare, but feel like a hammer when they do happen?

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Maybe tie their activation to certain conditions, such as the restoration of the Caliphate by the Ottomans, Mamluks or muslim player faction, which could require control over specific regions) for Jihads. Or they could be triggered exclusively by events, like the conquest of Constantinople, any Italian region, possibly Vienna and other regions by a muslim faction.
    Aut prodesse voluit aut delectare auctor aut simul et iucunda et idonea dicere vitae.

Medieval II Stuff: Medieval & Viking Invasion music addon | Bellum Crucis Enhanced All-In-One | Elendil's Font Packs & Eye Candy | Alba di Rinascita - Fonts pack (included in the former) | The Eldar Scrolls - Fonts pack

None of the above can be done unfortunately. Crusades and Jihads are all pretty much hardcoded. As far as I have read their frequency is 10 turns (so after a crusade is finished there are 10 turns until another one can be called) and not sure if it can be changed (pretty sure it's also hardcoded_.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great debate on crusades and jihads in the mod.

I now read a lot about the history during this era (1300 - 1526) and what surprised me was that how often the crusades were planned/proposed against the Ottomans. For the most part, they were not carried out due to the conflicting interests of the rulers, and also the financing of such an expedition was always a problematic issue.

As for the jihad, it was at least declared by the Ottoman sultan before the battle of Varna (1444). For the participation of other Anatolian troops - Karamanid troops participated in the Second battle of Kosovo (1448) as vassal troops of the Ottomans.

I think Broken Crescent nerfed Jihads in a unique way: declaring a Jihad required an insanely well developed Imam (skill level 10, maybe?), and it's hard to develop Imams in that mod. Maybe something like this could be implemented? Also, limiting the recruitment at all for priests/imams would serve a similar purpose.

The are just problems in rtw/mtw2, that the gameplay is way too "local" so that's why you have those awful laser guided crusades/jihads without any co-operation, its like a swarm is attacking just one place, while in the RTW2/Attila its way too "global", and factions at the other end of the continent are bothering you with all kinds of non-sense.

Tho some MTW2 AIs (like in Broken Crescent) have the stupid habit of just randomly blocking your port, thus declaring war for absolutely nothing. Like they don't follow up with anything, they are just content in blocking that one port for possibly one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Great debate on crusades and jihads in the mod.

I now read a lot about the history during this era (1300 - 1526) and what surprised me was that how often the crusades were planned/proposed against the Ottomans. For the most part, they were not carried out due to the conflicting interests of the rulers, and also the financing of such an expedition was always a problematic issue.

As for the jihad, it was at least declared by the Ottoman sultan before the battle of Varna (1444). For the participation of other Anatolian troops - Karamanid troops participated in the Second battle of Kosovo (1448) as vassal troops of the Ottomans.
    Yes, there were a lot of Crusades declared but many never eventuated. Usually lots of Christian princes said they would take the cross against the Ottomans but then they didn't end up doing it.

And i believe several jihads were declared including for the conquest of Constantinopole.

By the way the Netflix docudrama Ottoman Rise of Empires is quite a fun depiction of the siege. Being a docudrama it is made to appear more like a movie but still a good series.

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    I think Broken Crescent nerfed Jihads in a unique way: declaring a Jihad required an insanely well developed Imam (skill level 10, maybe?), and it's hard to develop Imams in that mod. Maybe something like this could be implemented? Also, limiting the recruitment at all for priests/imams would serve a similar purpose.
    For Catholic factions you just need to ask the Pope to declare a Crusade. I believe the jihad mechanic is different. It could actually work with the idea for imam piety. You can get the high piety but it will be a lot more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Tho some MTW2 AIs (like in Broken Crescent) have the stupid habit of just randomly blocking your port, thus declaring war for absolutely nothing. Like they don't follow up with anything, they are just content in blocking that one port for possibly one turn.
    Yes. the same thing happens in Tsardoms. It's a medieval 2 AI issue unfortunately. A lot of wars start from the AI just blockading one of your random ports.