Thread: New SPQR Aquila if wanted

Adler's Avatar Libertus

Default New SPQR Aquila if wanted

As promissed I dug up some images of Eagles I have at home, I have some cool ones on medals from the Italia WWII period too, but scanner is at work & I keep forgetting to take them in. But these should wet the appetite & if wanted I can produce more. It is a liberty, you may be quite happy with what you have, but thought I would voluteer this anyway.

I have traversed Roman ruins from Israel, Egypt, Greece, Jordan & Italy.

Believe me, playing the game is more fun!

Chris

Adler's Avatar Libertus

I have also started standardising the legions, with so many mods there are bits here I like & bits there, but over time you end up with so many random units & random colured shields etc ad infinitum. So I have started cutting & pasting shields from here & there to armour from here & there so that I have something that looks like an army. Done about 10 units so far, with the correct gloss's too.

Let me know if these are of any use to you.

This is what I call an Early Legionary. This is the 1st Cohort that has an Eagle on the shield that you may recognise from above.

This is Ist Cohort of the Late Legion's, plus a re-armoured & shield Triarii, (I use Early Legions pre Marius (but only from Royal Baracks - normally get them around 235bc - so the Triarii Looks fine next to the Early Leg. above)

Chris

hey man, about your early legionary, I changed SPQR's skin of the early legionary and replaced it with GODzilla's: http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=726
    anyway, only in SPQR i have the same "thing" above the helmet as seen in the picture above. how can we remove it?
    "I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." - Aristotle

I would never believe what one mod can make with human being...:-)
    I found MTW by myself, enjoyed it, played it, spent "milion" hours od developing my kingdoms.
    Then RTW comes...o.k....history repeats. Then I leave it. Then I find mods, resp. SPQR...and my life has changed. LOL Milion hours one more time. And because of that I discover slowly what great mod life, work, is hidden behind that vanilla RTW and around SPQR. Nice, perfect...Till here, mostly positive things. One big negative thing ?
    I AM LOST in these "home or self" adjustements, minimods, combinations of mods, links linking to another links for some mods, packs, add ons...
    Donīt worry, sorry, this is just scream out the darkness, do not feel disturbed,please, go on :-) I just had to express myself. LOL

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Thoes are realy cool adler, wouldn't mind puting them into my game if you would be realy great and upload them here

I especially love the early legionary.

@Flanus
    Calm down, breathe, and then start up again.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Adler's Avatar Libertus

I am am still a few days away from finishing, but I will have the files in a re-usable format so I am happy if others want to use them. They arent at all historical, but they are practical, stable & look good on the field, & look like they are from the same country.

I use a system, you will see the Triari has 3 stripes on the tunic, they denote its an upper level early unit etc. I am standardising the shields too, so that spearmen have Oak Leaves, Asault Troops have Lightning bolts, Town Watch & defence units have the fasce (rods & axe like the top eagle) Eagle units have eagles... cavalry... maybe horses! :laughing: I will gradually take this over all nations, but a nationalised version... its the master plan, see below. There will also be only 4 types of shield, early, late, large & small Cav.

Flanus, I think it is a game in itself... we create an empire in RTW, & think, gosh, wouldn't it be cool if you could do that... so the next step is to create a more personal empire. Look at the course of Dune 2000 to Command & Conq. Thats what folk do for fun/money. We take something & make it better. I am having imense fun making bits, I have to tear myself away from Adobe to go play I think what is amazing is that there is still such massive demand for "enhancements". Besides, I can feel a whole mod gradually forming out of this little project anyway. I have such a massive wish list that it will turn into one.

Love the new RTR6.3 map graphics... but to many East cities... & silly city states.
    Want BI Religion, hoards & Generals
    Want a mix of 0 turn units & multiturn ones. (town watch & Aux 0 turns, Legions 1 turn, Aq.Leg 2 Turns) This creates a ballance - no spam legions)
    Want Diplomats, but not so soon, set them to only Imp Pal.
    Want to explore the trade goods scene, work out how they work.
    I want new harbours that dont look like ****.
    I want to add more wonders. A Capitoline Hill in Rome that gives an order bonus. A far east Trade Route wonder that gives land trade bonus etc.
    I want regions that use rivers & mountains as bounderies... Danube Frontier etc. so I have expand & defend lines.
    Hate all my pre Marius units sundenly being usless & not replensihable - yet Aux have similar stats. I disable Aux & use Pre Marius in their place... so at Marius event, Pric & Triari can get recruited anywhere instead of just Italy & new legions only from Italy Gives you the same result but your existing stuff aint wasted.
    Want cheap & nasty light units to to hold cities, so I have ultra light wall guards that are tied into my wall level, no armour, just lt. archers & town watch, slingers etc.
    I want city buildings fast to build, does it really take 4 years to expand a temple yet 6 months to build a road? My temples take 1 year & my roads & walls up to 10! & That makes for a good game.
    I want the RTR Polythesiem but with differnt Rels, make temples indestructable & thus when you take over a region you have a mix for longer.
    I love SPQR's ballance & legion build locations & want them in BI
    I want a merging of AOR & Merc units so you can replenish merc units, & get a more international flavour in your army, say each nation has only a hanfdul of national units & the rest are more localised.
    Most importantly I want to find a way to stiffel growth of the empire so that the late game becomes interesting... & I have some cool ideas for that. (I think Religion is the key there) Especially with BI Rebel Empires.

So gradually I am building all this & I guess it will be as much a full mod as anything... most of these things can be done, some it can be tricked to do, & others.. well... where there is a will there is a way. I learn each step as I go, & its all fun. Once I have finished the Roman Units I will get on to learning map editing. Then down the track, learn how to make units completely.

PS. Dabaz, I have been trying to add more of them LOL.
    Last edited by Adler; December 05, 2005 at 10:44 AM.

Chris

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

Wow Chris, thats alot of work, and indeed a mod unto itself. Lots of your wants are shared by me, but some of them arn't.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Just make sure you dont step on an modders toes, the sites dont like Mods, that 1. dont have permission from the authors and 2. Basically a copy of others mods put together. No one minds for private use, but most modders dont like their work cannibalized.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Adler's Avatar Libertus

I am a little baffled as to how all that works, as just looking at the files I have used ther is no consistancy in "modlers" or "skiners" work, & there seems to be so much cross polination now that these units need their own geneology. The stuff from the Godzilla/Daud packs have varying model heights & features (some have seperate belts & scabbards etc). The Raz & Caj packs have similar units as Godz & you can even see where they have gone over the others & where one has copied this part etc. even down to the identicle mistakes in the gloss files.

Is there distinction made from who made the model & who put the skin on? Who made them originally? The bulk of them?

At anyrate, if the comunity wants to get anal about it, it would be expedient to have a section on who did what to pay hommage too. I offered money to have these alterations made & no one seemed interested so I did them myself. I am just here to help & do my own tinkerings & put something in. I thought it would be useful to clean up the mess & have something homogenised. If folk want to use them, "privately" PM me, as it looks like I will be finished in a few hours. They will be SPQR 4.6 & RTR 6.3 compatible. Unit cards are better than most, but I am still trying to work out the invisible background thing... so maybe a few more hours on that

Chris

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Hey im totaly lost with this modding stuff, i mean i would love to mod myself (i think) but you need special programmes and stuff right? And im not well known for my patience with such things so does it takes alot of patience?

And to topic: Great work Adler they look real nice!

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Adler's Avatar Libertus

Well I thought it was a rocket science, but when I poked a stick at it I found it was quite easy. (mind you 5 years web design under belt) but like I said, I am realy just fixing up graphical inconsitantcies & standardising with the units... so lots of cutting & pasting & merging. This forum & the RTR one have plenty of advice on how toos & it only took me a day to get my first 5 units done. There are some things I dont know how to do yet, like add & remove feathers & change the shape of the shields, I want to have my Town Watch & Triarii with the same shield as the Early Legion. Once again, I think it is to do with the hidden background stuff.

The rest is just text file manipulation & it is really quite fun, I used to have to Sell up & sail to Egypt, now I just start myself there if I feel so inclined, so it adds a lot to the game play really.

Chris

found this if any one moders wanna try to make some of these standards

i like standard's i bin looking for all typs trying to give my units its on standerd

this one is nice 2 > CLICK here

Adler's Avatar Libertus

I have that in tomorrows basket, what I am thinking is to make the Aquila into a standard, something like the 1st one you have pictured & flag. its a bit beyond me at the moment, but thats the dream I think the Eagle would look better atop a flag & bits that its random pole that we have now.

Chris

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

You do how to EDIT your posts sgmorris right?
    spamming spamming...

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.