Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWC Grand Campaign Guide - BRITAIN

withfriend2's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: TWC Grand Campaign Guide - BRITAIN

so it would be better to invade through spain rather than france? interesting never thought of that. what about france landing armys on your coast while you have your 2 or 3 stacks in spain?

withfriend2's Avatar Tiro

i found a very easy way to use this without constantly going to desktop if you have a gmail account log in than go to documents along the top. look and find upload and if you have their pdf on the desktop or someplace than upload it and you can view using the steam browser in game which is extremely helpful. shift+tab to get to steam browser hope this helps.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by withfriend2 View Post
    so it would be better to invade through spain rather than france? interesting never thought of that. what about france landing armys on your coast while you have your 2 or 3 stacks in spain?
    Shouldn't be a problem, so long as you constantly raid/blockade their northern ports -- single ships are all it takes on each port, assuming you have destroyed the Dutch, French and Spanish fleets, or at least have them "bottled up" in the Mediterranean (i.e. Nelson's fleet guarding the entrance/exit at Gibraltar).

Also, nice work-around you described for viewing/using the guide in-game... +rep!
    I came, I saw, I wrote a guide

Matsky's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by egervari View Post
    That's what I mean about the 2 foot. The player needs to build a total of 4 foot, 2 and 2 to follow the guide. Both times I followed all the instructions, and I was 2 foot behind I guess I could run it a 3rd time just to make sure. I know I built the 2 foot in the beginning though and already moved them to the portsmouth dock.
    I've just started playing through your guide and absolutely love it (I've always failed at the "bigger picture" stuff so holding my hand like this is a great way to teach me) however I have to concur with the above poster - the 2 Foot ordered to Portsmouth do not exist and I've followed your guide down to the tee. I'm wondering if maybe you mean move the 1 Light Dragoon and 1 Light Foot as they seem to be left behind doing nothing?
    Last edited by Matsky; September 24, 2010 at 08:57 AM.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
    I've just started playing through your guide and absolutely love it (I've always failed at the "bigger picture" stuff so holding my hand like this is a great way to teach me) however I have to concur with the above poster - the 2 Foot ordered to Portsmouth do not exist and I've followed your guide down to the tee. I'm wondering if maybe you mean move the 1 Light Dragoon and 1 Light Foot as they seem to be left behind doing nothing?
    Thanks for the comments, glad to help. Also, I took a second and more detailed look at the initial steps in the guide, and THERE IS A MISSING COMMAND LINE DURING TURN 2, per egervari's original notes -- under "Military Upgrades" for Turn 2, it should have commanded the reader to Recruit two (2) Foot at London, England (B1)...

These are the "phantom" two Foot that are referenced on Turn 4 as being "built", then commanding the reader to move them to Portsmouth.

Apologies for the error and I'll update/upload a corrected guide as soon as I can, but hopefully others will catch this conversation in the meantime.

Matsky's Avatar Civis

I'm being a little impatient here... I'm just wondering what becomes of the Light Dragoon and Light Foot left at London? I'm skimming down through the list - do they just form part of Moore's army down the track? I know, I know I should just keep playing but I just feel... weird... leaving them behind.

Is there any chance that on Turn 5 when you load General Wellesley's army onto Admiral Nelson's fleet you could tell me what Wellesley's army should be comprised of (as you have done later on for Moore) just so I'm confident I've made the correct units?

Is this the correct army composition I should have (including the 2 you've ammended)?
    1x General Wellesley
    2x Light Dragoons
    2x 9-lber Foot Artillery
    2x 6-lber Foot Artillery
    9x Foot (with 2 at Gibraltar, bringing the total to 11)
    1x Highland Foot
    1x KGL Foot
    For a total of 20 units in the stack (2 cav, 4 art, 13 foot, +general)
    Last edited by Matsky; September 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

I'm being a little impatient here... I'm just wondering what becomes of the Light Dragoon and Light Foot left at London? I'm skimming down through the list - do they just form part of Moore's army down the track? I know, I know I should just keep playing but I just feel... weird... leaving them behind.

Is there any chance that on Turn 5 when you load General Wellesley's army onto Admiral Nelson's fleet you could tell me what Wellesley's army should be comprised of (as you have done later on for Moore) just so I'm confident I've made the correct units?

Is this the correct army composition I should have (including the 2 you've ammended)?
    1x General Wellesley
    2x Light Dragoons
    2x 9-lber Foot Artillery
    2x 6-lber Foot Artillery
    9x Foot (with 2 at Gibraltar, bringing the total to 11)
    1x Highland Foot
    1x KGL Foot
    For a total of 20 units in the stack (2 cav, 4 art, 13 foot, +general)
    That looks correct from my reading

As for the extra Light Foot and Light Dragoon, I think they become part of General Moore's later army and/or continue to "guard" London on the slim chance of invasion -- been a while since I played the game, so my memory's a bit rusty

Matsky's Avatar Civis

Feanor68, I need your help!

I can't seem to get the "London Express" to work! I embark from Portsmouth, move the ship to the first point, but then how do I transfer my men to the next ship? When I move the next ship, the men stay on the original ship and go nowhere!

What am I doing wrong?

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Feanor68, I need your help!

I can't seem to get the "London Express" to work! I embark from Portsmouth, move the ship to the first point, but then how do I transfer my men to the next ship? When I move the next ship, the men stay on the original ship and go nowhere!

What am I doing wrong?
    You have to move the "first" ship, the one with nearly all of its movement spent, out of the mini-fleet FIRST, so the men stay embarked on the "second" ship. This is why it's important to place your "second" ships within the movement-range of the preceeding "first" ships -- if the "second" ship is placed on the extreme boundary of the "first" ship's movement-range, you won't be able to move the "first" ship out of the new mini-fleet and transfer the men to the "second" ship, which still has its full movement-range.

Matsky's Avatar Civis

Ahh, got it! Thanks man, sorry.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Ahh, got it! Thanks man, sorry.
    Never a need to apologize! That move is among the techniques that CA never discussed in any of their game-guides, so it can be a bit tricky for someone that has not discovered and explored it on their own, or worse, had the incredible frustration of moving ships and then discovering that your troops are not on board

Big things to remember when transporting troops by ship are as follows:

- once troops are embarked (loaded) onto a "fleet", it is always the LAST ship or ships in that original "fleet" that the troops remain with; so if you don't want certain ships in the original "fleet" to be part of the troop convoy (for example, you may have some Trade ships in a port where the troops just embarked), it is THOSE ships that you should always move out of the "fleet" FIRST

- another important side-note... you can NOT merge troops from multiple ships while at sea; for example, if you put two line infantry on a ship, then rendevous with another ship already carrying any amount of troops, the two ships can not merge into a single fleet, nor can the troops on board the two separate ships be merged -- even if those troops between the two ships total less than twenty units (i.e., 1 full-stack army) -- this type of move can only be accomplished while in a port

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

HALP!!!!!!!

I usually play as Prussia but I attempted a British campaign. So I started building up an army for Mr. Wellington to invade France, but I had a MAJOR Naval defeat in the English channel against the French and the only fleet I have(Nelson's) is too far away and is keeping my economy alive by raiding enemy trade lines. Apart from that, the French navy blockaded my trade port just south east of London and I'm getting no income from trade. Can it get worse? Yes, the Spanish are sieging Gibraltar each turn and I don't have enough money to recruit militia or decent units. It's even worse...I'm bankrupt
    My brain is telling me to restart the campaign but I really want to get out of this mess without restarting

Any suggestions please?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    HALP!!!!!!!

I usually play as Prussia but I attempted a British campaign. So I started building up an army for Mr. Wellington to invade France, but I had a MAJOR Naval defeat in the English channel against the French and the only fleet I have(Nelson's) is too far away and is keeping my economy alive by raiding enemy trade lines. Apart from that, the French navy blockaded my trade port just south east of London and I'm getting no income from trade. Can it get worse? Yes, the Spanish are sieging Gibraltar each turn and I don't have enough money to recruit militia or decent units. It's even worse...I'm bankrupt
    My brain is telling me to restart the campaign but I really want to get out of this mess without restarting

Any suggestions please?
    Apologies for the delayed response -- been away a while and this is my first time back.

In any case, you have certainly created one heck of a challenge for yourself

The biggest threat you have, from my reading and take on your description, is that blockading French fleet. Britain simply can not survive without her trade income. So my advice, if it can be done (I've never played through a scenario where I'm actually bankrupt!) is this...

Assuming the game continues while your bankrupt -- I believe you just lose men from each unit, on each turn, due to lack of pay, until there are no more and the unit is "disbanded" -- use that time to get Nelson's fleet back to the Channel and destroy that French fleet. With trade restored, plus your treasury back in the positive, your depleted units should begin to replenish themselves. Then follow through on your long-term plans.

As for Gibraltar, you may simply have to resolve yourself to abandoning it, considering the pickle you're in. If there are no Spanish/French ships in the area, and you have at least one ship from Nelson's fleet nearby that you can use as a transport, it might be worthwhile to abandon Gibraltar with your remaining units intact, then launch an invasion of the Balaeric Islands. At least that will still give you a Mediterranean outpost to work from...

If all else fails, yes, just re-start I personally try to keep a running 7-turn back-up of saves to go back to in such an emergency -- but some may consider getting a do-over a form of cheating that they'd never stoop to

Good Luck!

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by feanor68 View Post
    Apologies for the delayed response -- been away a while and this is my first time back.

In any case, you have certainly created one heck of a challenge for yourself

The biggest threat you have, from my reading and take on your description, is that blockading French fleet. Britain simply can not survive without her trade income. So my advice, if it can be done (I've never played through a scenario where I'm actually bankrupt!) is this...

Assuming the game continues while your bankrupt -- I believe you just lose men from each unit, on each turn, due to lack of pay, until there are no more and the unit is "disbanded" -- use that time to get Nelson's fleet back to the Channel and destroy that French fleet. With trade restored, plus your treasury back in the positive, your depleted units should begin to replenish themselves. Then follow through on your long-term plans.

As for Gibraltar, you may simply have to resolve yourself to abandoning it, considering the pickle you're in. If there are no Spanish/French ships in the area, and you have at least one ship from Nelson's fleet nearby that you can use as a transport, it might be worthwhile to abandon Gibraltar with your remaining units intact, then launch an invasion of the Balaeric Islands. At least that will still give you a Mediterranean outpost to work from...

If all else fails, yes, just re-start I personally try to keep a running 7-turn back-up of saves to go back to in such an emergency -- but some may consider getting a do-over a form of cheating that they'd never stoop to

Good Luck!
    Thanks mate, I ended up evacuating my units in Gibraltar to Nelson's fleet and selling(yes, selling) Gibraltar to Portugal. With the troops, i invaded Corsica and easily won it. With the money I was able to recruit enough ships to dominate the English channel again and repair my major trading port. Now all I need is to sit back and build 3 biiiggg armies to make a major invasion of France.

Thanks again
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

I am extremely knew to the ETW forums and i have a question. I download the file and when i click on it after its done downloading a screen pops up and asks me what i want to use to run the program, i choose NotePad and it's just a bunch of HTML. What am i doing wrong?

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

How do I transfer the Armies from ship to ship using the london express?

almg's Avatar Foederatus

Alban

feanor68's Avatar Civis

It's a PDF, i.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download, but most PC's already have it) -- you will need WinZip, WinRAR, or some other "compression" software to unpack the file first.

feanor68's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    How do I transfer the Armies from ship to ship using the london express?
    just sent you a response to your PM

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by feanor68 View Post
    just sent you a response to your PM
    Got it Thanks, are you gonna do anymore guides?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast