Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestors

Default Re: Your Ancestors [Off Topic]

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Criollos are a small population, we're probably all related in one way or another. Especially since we don't intermix with the "Indians" quite so much as the other colonists. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us couldn't trace some form of lineage back to Cortez.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Criollos are a small population, we're probably all related in one way or another. Especially since we don't intermix with the "Indians" quite so much as the other colonists. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us couldn't trace some form of lineage back to Cortez.
    Quite nteresting. You finally won your well deserved independence, but we will always have a common legacy.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh, we didn't get independence, my family got conquered by the Americans, as they lived in New Mexico at the time, and my family was stripped of its land. And we somehow ended up in California.

Lord Minotaur's Avatar Biarchus

i guess i am a Samogotian , sudovian, lithuanian and maybe polish

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    That's true, but "significant" might be a better word than "real". Despite that however, the Normans are in fact the ancestors of all modern English people. Individuals have many ancestors from whom they carry little or no genetics.
    Ah I see what your getting at there, yes given the time that has passed since the Norman invasion I dare say most people in the British Isles will have a Norman somewhere in their family's past.

Well that's a complex issue, because by 1066 the Anglo-Saxons would have had mostly the genetic makeup of those Mesolithic/Neolithic ancestors. Logically if the Normans made only a small genetic imprint over the original British genetic substrate and those genes make up the majority of the modern English genes, then the same would have had to have been true of the original Anglo-Saxon invaders. Nevertheless, there is some evidence that there was more extermination and replacement going on during the Anglo-Saxon invasion than with the Normans. More comprehensive genetic tests support what you are saying, but tests that focus on Y chromosome haplotypes show that there is significant minorty of English men who are indistinguishable on paper from Dutch and Frisian men (when examined by Y haplotype alone). These haplotypes become less frequent the further one moves from East Anglia. This evidence suggests that the Anglo-Saxons killed a lot of the native men but kept the native women for themselves.
    If you are referring to this paper which became quite well know a while ago, there is a lot of controversy about it's methods and conclusion. I think the whole topic is rather open right now as there are later papers that show much less extreme variations . But we can be safe in saying that there is a pattern of "Germanic" I1 Haplogroup prevalence which decreases from east to west.

EDIT: This guy does a descent job of explaining it: http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2009/12/rom...on-britain.php
    Thats a nice link you gave there and at the end it raises a point I was going to make, in that we cannot distinguish between the Anglo-Saxons and other groups of invader like the Danes, Vikings, Belgae or even earlier prehistoric peoples. This makes using genetics in this particular case very tricky, because we don't know when the Y lineages arrived and so cannot ascribe the pattern to a single event like the Anglo-Saxon invasion.

Hi the diversity here's pretty cool My best friends Polish

I'm American but my family's greek, italian, and Welsh. I dont know anything about the welsh side other than they were like some kind of business men who hit hard times and moved to New York. The Greek I know alot more My family apparently lived in Constantinople then when in the 1400s it hit constant attack by the turks they moved to the area around Mistra. One was supposedly like a servant of Constantine the 16th or somethin like that. Then they went after Mistra fell to a little town called Bianci in southeren Italy. after that when the Venetians took back Mistra form the turks they went there. After the Turks took it back they converted to Roman Catholicism and moved to America in like 1790.

The most prominent ancestor I have is Francis Parkman. Apparently he's quite famous in the US, but I'd never heard of him until I found out he was my ancestor.

My most prominent medieval ancestor is William Wallace.

I'm American. Iv got some ancestors from England, Scotland, Germany, and the isle of man, but most of my ancestors, including some recent ones, were Irish.

My ancestors are Hungarian and Croatian

Hungarian, my ancestors were court members of the Kingdom of Hungary and I also have a ancestor who is the county head of Csongrád. And some of my ancestors served in the 1848 revolts.

Croatian, I don't know much
    Last edited by Hunyadi Mátyás; May 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

well, lets see, my great great grandparents were from, the Netherlands, Genoa and the Basque Country. I know that my great grandmother was from the Basque Country and lived in Bilbao and sometimes in San Sebastian. She married a Dutch merchant who was red haired and that is how my family got the "red genes". I now have brown hair but have a mixture of orange and brown beard. Most of my family there lived in the Basque Country until the Spanish Civil War. My Grand mother left for Venezuela where she married my Grandfather. My Grandfather belonged to the richest family in Venezuela who controlled 70% of all property in the Countryside and basically had a monopoly. They had lived in Venezuela for around 100 years already and also came from Spain. My grandfather was supposed to marry a rich lady from Colombia but decided marrying my grandmother who was not nobility but in the high middle class. Because of this my grandfather was kciked from the family and he never heard from his parents ever again but thanks to his rich uncle he managed to regain some wealth (uncle was a drunk bastard, but good person. He ended up gambling his fortune and life away). They bought a farm and lived a harsh life, but both loved farming (it was their dream). My father was brought up in this farm and he would go to the capital city for school only where they had an apartment in the middle of the city which belonged to my grandmother (she owned four apartments from when she had arrived in Venezuela). She rented those apartments until recently when she sold them because Chavez was going to confiscate them so he could "divide all wealth equally for the people" and ended up actually forming part of his property. All those apartments were sold except one where she lives now. My grandfather passed away only last year at the age of 91-92. My father met my mother, who is from Uruguay.

My other side of the family come from Genoa and Canary Islands. My Great grandmother came from a low middle class family in Genoa but moved to Argentina, just like so many other Italians. She married there to someone i don't know anything about. My grandmother moved to Uruguay when young. When she became older she met my grandfather who had just managed to get out of poverty and bought a house in Uruguay where they still live. My grandfather had a father from Canary Islands. He never knew his mother as she died giving birth to him. He lost his father when he was in his early teens and became homeless. He made a living working in the streets and cleaning cars (he was one of the first to think of that in Uruguay and therefore had a monopoly for half a year or so. He had to also take care of his little borthers which were also homeless and were younger than him. He finally managed to get a proper job after a few years and started to save up until he met my grandmother when he was in his early twenties. They married like i said above.

My mother and father met in Paris after getting a scholarship to do their masters. My father stayed longer and did his PhD while my mother returned and found work. My father married my mother later and moved to Venezuela. I was born there. We moved to Australia when Chavez came and the rest is history. I still have family in San Sebastian and the in Amsterdam.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Tiro

Well i am a Indian :- FROM INDIA not native american Indian .. My grandparents and their grandparents were also indians... my great great grandparents were once upon a time pirates in Gujarat ( India ) , thats what they say.. other than no diverse ancestry.. well atleast in our community so tightly knit that outside caste marriages are prohibited and sad but true... other than that i have a huge 10 member family living under one roof... typically hell

Miles

My family has managed Research my family history back to the late Middle Ages, on both my mother and my father's side. From my mother's side only from Småland in Sweden, and my father's side from Västergötland, and Åland.
    My ancestors have mostly just been farmers and fishermen, but there've been exceptions.

Captain Melon's Avatar Senator

Hehe, I am descended from the house of Rurik, Swedish Kings and Harald Hadrada, and on the other I am descended from Zeus and Hera (who were real and were actually Aliens). So I am actually half-human.

All Iz is saying is that it seems wierd to me that loads of people on this forum seem to be descended from nobility and can trace their lineage back hundreds of years, I was unaware that the royal families of the world played total war .

Everyone knows that the number of possible ancestors you have dwarfs the number of people who have ever lived on this planet. Im sure a lot of you guys are my brothers far far removed. I'm half mexican, so chances are one of my ancestors got raped by one of cortez's men. I'm also half English so I could be descended from anywhere in Europe.

My argument is showing the marvels of genetic variation, and the pointlesness of this thread. Unless you are of 100% royal blood then you can't trace nuffin'!
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Most people can, if the records are complete enough, trace their direct (fathers/mothers only) ancestry to several royal families due to the law of probability.
    For example, I descend from, to make a short list:
    Harald Hårfagre, the first king of Norway (and most of his ancestors)
    The first king of Sweden (can't remember his name) (and most of his ancestors)
    Charlemagne, the first holy roman emperor. (and some of the emperors after him)
    Claudius, some Roman emperor.
    Several French kings.
    Odin, through one ancient (around year 200 or so) Norse king who claimed to be the son of Odin (it was pretty popular at the time)

My point is, having royalty as your ancestors, unless very recent, isn't at all rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Most people can, if the records are complete enough, trace their direct (fathers/mothers only) ancestry to several royal families due to the law of probability.
    For example, I descend from, to make a short list:
    Harald Hårfagre, the first king of Norway (and most of his ancestors)
    The first king of Sweden (can't remember his name) (and most of his ancestors)
    Charlemagne, the first holy roman emperor. (and some of the emperors after him)
    Claudius, some Roman emperor.
    Several French kings.
    Odin, through one ancient (around year 200 or so) Norse king who claimed to be the son of Odin (it was pretty popular at the time)

My point is, having royalty as your ancestors, unless very recent, isn't at all rare.
    Exactly and so all these guys saying that they're descended from Jesus himself are nothing special since we all *probably* are
    Last edited by Meneth; April 05, 2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Somewhat off-topic
    Looking forward to Dominion of the Sword
    PSN ID: mynameisowen; add me if you play GT5 or Battlefield.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Polite request to all, please help the local mods here by followng the OP rather than general spam , thanks guys

OP for reference
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[QUOTE=Tuskin4;7990105]This dosent have to do with the mod but its all Medieval history so DoTS team could find somethings useful. In this thread post info about your Medieval ancestors and share.

Johann von Trarbach(1530-?) was a rennaisance sculptur in the 16th century from Simmern. He sculpted tombs for the nobility of the Rineland Duchies Wurttemburg, and Nassau-Saarbrucken as well as making a trip to Antwerp for the Burgundian Dukes. He lived in the Moselle region Simmern and became the Mayor of Simmern in 1564 and held the title until he died. His most lasting work was the Sculptures in St Stephen's Church in Simmern.
    [/QUOTE]-

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Your Ancestors

Hungarian-> my family tree goes back to 1800s in my grandfather's side, goes farther back to denmark and germany on my grandmother's side. It would be cool if I was related to Istvan Dobo or Matthias Corvinius.