Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public Research - Medieval Balkan Royal Titles of Houses & Dynasties

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: HELP NEEDED: Royal Titles and Houses (Dynasties) of Medieval Factions

Thanks guys!

Ok here's a complete list of ranks and titles which existed in Wallachia and Moldova. Many of these titles are of slavic etymology, with some latin, greek and turkish etymology. Several are original, such as armaş, paharnic, jitnicer and vistiernic. They are usually the same in both principalities but I have mentioned where there are slight differences. The offices were called "dregatorii" and were either public offices or court offices.

Public Offices (Dregatorii Publice)
    • Ban - The title of medieval rulers of parts of Wallachia (Oltenia and Severin) since the 13th century. The Wallachian bans were military governers. Territory over which a ban ruled in Wallachia was called a banat
    • Vornic - Intially was the main organiser of the voievod's court but gradually gained the most important judicial powers in both Wallachia and Moldova
    • Logofat - the court's chancellor, supervised the making of laws and decrees, puts the seal on pricely documents. Gradually becomes the first office in the Sfatul Domnesc which is the Princely Council of the most important boyars
    • Vistiernic - the treasurer, attended to finances and fiscal administration of the land, tax collection
    • Spatar - In Wallachia, holder of the royal sword and bludgeon and second in rank in the army after the voivode and commander of the cavalry
    • Parcalab - head of a county, had judicial and administrative powers in their county which usually coincided with land around a certain fortress or town
    • Armas - official in charge of security, prisons and executions, appears in Wallachia during the time of Vlad the Impaler and in Moldova during the time of Stefan the Great
    • Portar - literally means gatekeeper, in Wallachia was the one who assigned land to boyars and received foreign diginitaries at court. In Moldova the foreing dignitaries are received by the Usar (doorkeeper). A more important office in Moldova was Portarul de Suceava (the gatekeeper of Suceava) who had military attributes and even became a member of the Princely Council
    • Hatman - this office replaces the Portar in Moldova in the early XVIth century. The main attributes were military, gradually becoming the fourth most imporant office in the Princely Council
    Court Offices (Dregatorii de Curte)
    • Postelnic (Chamberlain) - the closest noble to the voived, he can enter the voived's bedchamber without being summoned. Gradually gains the task of introducing foreign diginitaries and audiences received by the voived. He was the last member of the Princely Council
    • Medelnicer - pours the water of the voievod to wash his hands. Later becomes a member of the Princely Council
    • Paharnic (Royal Cup-Bearar) - in charge of supplying the wine cellars and beverage supplies at court, tasted the wine and later becomes a member of the Princely Council. Also known as Ceasnic or Cupar in Moldova
    • Stolnic (Senechal) - in charge of the voivod's table, organising feasts and food supplies at court
    • Clucer (Master of the Royal Court) - in charge of the court's storage and cellars. In Moldova there was also the office of Jitnicer who was in charge of the grain supplies
    • Pitar - in charge ofpreparing the bread for the voievod, the servants and the daily rations of the soldiers. Becomes a member of the Princely Council in the XVIIth century
    • Sluger - in charges of supply and distribution of meat rations
    • Comis (Master of the Horse) - in charge of the court's stables and horses
    Various other (mostly boyar) titles:
    • Ispravnic - a representative of the voievode in a county
    • Gramatic - secretary
    • Cneaz - chieftain or judge of some villages
    • Jude - judge and/or mayor of a region
    • Condicar - person in charge of the court archives
    • Sfetnic - voivode/domnitor's adviser
    • Staroste - guildmaster, the leader of a guild
    • Vataf - overseer of various kinds
    Also the ruling prince was known as voievod and domnitor.

List of known names of boyars that held offices during the Wallchian reign of Mircea the Elder (1386 - 1418):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vornic
    • Vladislav
    • Vlad
    • Radul
    • Stănilă
    Ban
    • Radul
    • Dragomir
    • Drăgan
    • Aga
    Vistiernic
    • Popșor
    • Șerban
    • Drăgan
    • Manciul
    • Micul
    Logofat
    • Filos
    • Baldovin
    • Aldea
    • Mihail
    Spatar
    • Sin
    • Vasea
    Stolnic
    • Bratei
    • Berendei
    • Zorza
    • Manea
    Paharnic
    • Costea
    • Gherghina
    Comis
    • Stanciul
    Pitar
    • Ghinea
    Last edited by Wallachian; September 05, 2010 at 06:44 AM.

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

Default Re: HELP NEEDED: Royal Titles and Houses (Dynasties) of Medieval Factions

great work wallachian!
    long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna

tavix's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Thanks guys!

Ok here's a complete list of ranks and titles which existed in Wallachia and Moldova. Many of these titles are of slavic etymology, with some latin, greek and turkish etymology. Several are original, such as armaş, paharnic, jitnicer and vistiernic. They are usually the same in both principalities but I have mentioned where there are slight differences. The offices were called "dregatorii" and were either public offices or court offices.

Public Offices (Dregatorii Publice)
    • Ban - The title of medieval rulers of parts of Wallachia (Oltenia and Severin) since the 13th century. The Wallachian bans were military governers. Territory over which a ban ruled in Wallachia was called a banat
    • Vornic - Intially was the main organiser of the voievod's court but gradually gained the most important judicial powers in both Wallachia and Moldova
    • Logofat - the court's chancellor, supervised the making of laws and decrees, puts the seal on pricely documents. Gradually becomes the first office in the Sfatul Domnesc which is the Princely Council of the most important boyars
    • Vistier - the treasurer, attended to finances and fiscal administration of the land, tax collection etc
    • Spatar - In Wallachia, holder of the royal sword and bludgeon and second in rank in the army after the voivode and commander of the cavalry
    • Parcalab - head of a county, had judicial and administrative powers in their county which usually coincided with land around a certain fortress or town
    • Armas - official in charge of security, prisons and executions, appears in Wallachia during the time of Vlad the Impaler and in Moldova during the time of Stefan the Great
    • Portar - literally means gatekeeper, in Wallachia was the one who assigned land to boyars and received foreign diginitaries at court. In Moldova the foreing dignitaries are received by the Usar (doorkeeper). A more important office in Moldova was Portarul de Suceava (the gatekeeper of Suceava) who had military attributes and even became a member of the Princely Council
    • Hatman - this office replaces the Portar in Moldova in the early XV-th century. The main attributes were military, gradually becoming the fourth most imporant office in the Princely Council

Court Offices will follow soon. Now I need to do some law study that I am not looking forward to at all
    Impressive +rep

Cheers, happy to help even a tiny bit with this awesome mod I have updated my post with the rest of the information. I think this should be enough for Wallachia and Moldova in terms of titles and offices. What else would you guys need?

Great work. +rep

Could you post also something about the most powerful wallachian/moldovan feudal families?

COA, etc...

Thanks again.

TTW GRANDMASTER

tavix's Avatar Vicarius

He already did that

For Moldova and Wallachia there were pretty much only two main dynasties, the "Basarabs" in Wallachia and the "Musatins" in Moldova.

With the Basarabs the dynasty split into two rival factions in 1436. These factions were the "Draculesti" (after Vlad II Dracul) and the "Danesti" (after Dan I) and they engaged in constant fighting for the throne from the 15th century onwards. However, both these factions techncially belonged to the Basarab dynasty.

This link has a fairly good family tree of the Basarab line. But it also includes pretendents and voivodes who claimed they were descendents of the Basarabs. Also, here is a wiki link for the list of Wallachian voivodes, but being from wiki there might be inaccuracies. I will try and find a more reliable source.

This is the flag of the Basarabs:

This is a dinar minted in the time of Radu I (1383-1386) showing the Basarab CoA on one side and the Wallachian eagle on the other side:

This website contains several coins minted by various Wallachian rulers showing variations of the CoAs.

I will come back with more information...

Yes, but i need more.

TTW GRANDMASTER

phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar Palman Bracht

wallachian coa's of boieri

long time no see, but still twc drug kickin'
    check out Tsardoms: Total War!
    Under patronage of respectable Annaeus
    Patron of honorable Giacomo Colonna

Yes, I remember those. But I need family names next to them.

TTW GRANDMASTER

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Hungary

King => Király
    Palatin => Nádorispán (Palatine)
    Ban => Dalmát és Horvát Bán (Ban of Dalmatia and Croatia)
    => Macsói Bán (Bán of Macsó)
    => Sói Bán (Bán of Só)
    => Ozorai Bán (Bán of Ozora)
    => Szörényi Bán (Bán of Szörény) usually the ruler of Wallachia got this title when he was the vassal of the Hungarian king
    Herceg (=Prince in English)
    Ispan => Ispán (=Comes, leader of a county) there were about 60-70 ispáns, so it can be skipped
    Voivod => Erdélyi vajda (Voivode of Transylvania)
    +
    Országbíró (Lord Chief Justice)
    Tárnokmester (Lord Great Chamberlain)

Is it enough?

Ampra's Avatar Centenarius

Can you add some history with those title . How they become for example . Thank you in advance
    "At first we were confused. The East thought that we were West, while the West considered us to be East. Some of us misunderstood our place in the clash of currents, so they cried that we belong to neither side- and others that we belong exclusively to one side or the other. But I tell you, Irenaeus, we are doomed by fate to be the East in the West and the West in the East, to acknowledge only heavenly Jerusalem beyond us, and here on earth--no one." - St. Sava (of Serbia) to Irenaeus, 13th century

It's going to be really hard to get boyar names to match with the coat of arms.

Here's a few heraldics for Moldova

The CoA of Moldova

The extended CoA of Moldova

The minor CoA of Moldova

Variation of the Moldavian CoA

The CoA of Moldavian voivevod Stefan the Great

The seal of Stefan the Great

Battle flag of Stefan the Great with St. George trampling the dragon

And some for Wallachia

Late 13th century CoA

CoA of Litovoi (voievod in one of the small Wallachian states in Arges area before the Basarabs)

The extended CoA

CoAs of various Wallachian voievodes which are mostly variations of the Basarab CoA

CoA of Vladislav Vlaicu

CoA of Mircea the Elder

CoA of Dan II

CoA of Vladislav II

CoA of Vlad the Impaler

Last edited by Wallachian; September 06, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

So we will have the "Dracula" in the game??
    Last edited by SpyrosM91; September 06, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Csatádi missed
    the Nádor

d.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Can I ask the assembled minds here a question?

In this map by William Blaeu of Transylvania, look at the coat of arms in the bottom right hand side:

Does anyone know if that is based on ANY historical coat of arms, or if he just totally made it up? (It looks totally made up to me).
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

I stumbled upon these ottoman flags and pennants, I know you guys are looking for some CoAs and the like so these might help:

@Vazul, I've never seen that CoA for Transylvania, the usual one i know is the one with the black eagle and the seven castles. I hightly doubt that the one you found is authentic.
    Last edited by Wallachian; September 12, 2010 at 04:29 AM.

I stumbled upon these ottoman flags and pennants, I know you guys are looking for some CoAs and the like so these might help:

@Vazul, I've never seen that CoA for Transylvania, the usual one i know is the one with the black eagle and the seven castles. I hightly doubt that the one you found is authentic.
    Yeah I know it looks made up to me. I'm just curious if anyone can confirm... It appears that a lot of falsifying heraldry appears to have occurred across Europe after the 16th century...

the crescent symbol is used by the ottomans after the conquest of Constantinople....

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosM91 View Post
    the crescent symbol is used by the ottomans after the conquest of Constantinople....
    So you've actually written a script to change the crest?

Quote Originally Posted by \Vazul's Ghost/ View Post
    So you've actually written a script to change the crest?
    no but i've asked il_duce if he can do that....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast