Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Multiplayer TBS

Looks very interesting, it's almost exciting (psh and by almost I mean it very much is) to see a game in development that looks like diplomacy. When I tried installing it on Win 7, it failed instantly though and just says plot and conquer has stopped working. I installed slim right after that error and then ran the setup and the same error. Running as admin helped no bit :/

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    You can be sure I'm not done working on it. I intend to do something about war/peace, but I have to decide how it should be. Any ideas are welcome, there are tons of ways it could be handled.
    It could be randomly generated. Before the campaign starts, there could be a dice roll that decides who is at war with each other or at peace. Or if you want to go the historic route, use their war/peace status as they were in the 1700's.

Quote Originally Posted by Řmega View Post
    When I tried installing it on Win 7, it failed instantly though and just says plot and conquer has stopped working. I installed slim right after that error and then ran the setup and the same error. Running as admin helped no bit :/
    Questions:

So it crashes when you run Setup.exe?

Are there any buttons you can push on the error message to get more info on it?

When did you download the installer? (I updated it late last night). If you downloaded it before that try downloading again.

A screenshot of the contents of your Plot & Conquer folder would be most excellent. Then I could see what stage you reached in the install, perhaps.

It could be randomly generated. Before the campaign starts, there could be a dice roll that decides who is at war with each other or at peace. Or if you want to go the historic route, use their war/peace status as they were in the 1700's.
    It's not the starting setup that's the complicated, it's how to handle war and peace. For instance, how do players declare war, does it cost them something, are there restrictions on it, is there a way to prevent someone from declaring war on you, do wars last forever, how do wars end, does anything special happen when they end, are there benefits/penalties for being at war, can you form alliances that drag multiple nations into war together, is this automatic or do they have to choose to go to war...

The questions that I must answer to plan this are many.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 01, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

It literally was like this. I download, extract to a folder on my desktop. Double click setup, and instantly it brings up the Windows is checking for solutions for when a game crashes. I sent two different reports after changing things (Uac, running as admin, etc.)

Sadly, i cant get to that computer atm as its internet is down :[

I updated the installer to include my error reporting in Setup.exe. So if you try installing it again and it fails, click send on the new error report window and it will send me the error report, then I can see what's wrong.

Retired moderator of TWC

Just played it on an alt computer with .net 3.5 (4 wouldn't work for some reason)

Some things I noticed (But please do be aware I love it deep down and am always up for helping where I can! )

Needs music
    Main menu confused me, a lot
    I couldn't really grasp how to play
    Couldn't make generals
    Couldn't build forts
    Events always failed it seems (even at 80% success rate)
    I couldn't tell who I was at war with and who at peace
    Enemies attacked my territories then declared peace in the same turn, making me unable to get back land
    Spain won >.>
    Battles are... confusing
    Hovering over generals lists numbers with functions (3 Defend Left flank) which makes no sense to me.
    Whats a recon team?
    During recruitment it said I had 300 connected territories. Eh?
    Spain launched a 200 man assault on Ireland D:
    Associating flag with team was difficult
    Rebels are incredibly powerful

And thats all I noticed for now. But I love it basically Just gets a bit repetitive.

Some things I noticed (But please do be aware I love it deep down and am always up for helping where I can! )
    First question, did you read the manual, such as it is? Maybe I can't expect people to do that, but it does help a bit..

Thanks for the comments. I can see why it'd be hard to understand the game. I don't have a tutorial or anything. The manual also doesn't fully explain everything. I just haven't spent time on that. Maybe someone who has figured it all out will?

I should make some sort of tooltip system.

Hmm.

Couldn't make generals
    Couldn't build forts

Try the mouse wheel during a production phase. It switches through all the things you can do.

Unlucky I suppose, the random numbers aren't messed up and 80% chance does mean 80%.

You're at war with everyone unless they declare an armistice. If they make an armistice it lasts one turn, and you do get a notification in your messages, but I understand if you didn't read those.

Enemies attacked my territories then declared peace in the same turn, making me unable to get back land
    If that happened it must be a bug. Good to know.

Battles are... confusing
    In what way? Is it that you don't know how to expect a certain result, you don't know why you won or lost, or?

Hovering over generals lists numbers with functions (3 Defend Left flank) which makes no sense to me.
    This is a list of the strategies you've seen that particular general use. It's only really useful if you know which strategies are good against which other strategies, so you can try to get certain generals of yours to fight certain enemy generals.

Whats a recon team?
    What?

Hmm, must be a bug. I'll look at that one.

They're mostly historically accurate flags. And since everyone is your enemy, anything that isn't your flag is enemy. Also try pressing F6 to color the regions according to nation.

They don't fight better than anyone else, but they can be annoying if you don't have men available to stop them before they grow.

Retired moderator of TWC

My turn for commenting. To explain what I meant of course and, I just read the manual (Did not know it existed), and I will play another game

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    First question, did you read the manual, such as it is? Maybe I can't expect people to do that, but it does help a bit..

Thanks for the comments. I can see why it'd be hard to understand the game. I don't have a tutorial or anything. The manual also doesn't fully explain everything. I just haven't spent time on that. Maybe someone who has figured it all out will?

I should make some sort of tooltip system.
    To further explain my confusing-ness, I wasn't entirely sure what each button did and where I was navigating too.

Hmm.

Couldn't make generals
    Couldn't build forts

Try the mouse wheel during a production phase. It switches through all the things you can do.
    Will try this!

Unlucky I suppose, the random numbers aren't messed up and 80% chance does mean 80%.
    I do tend to have bad luck

You're at war with everyone unless they declare an armistice. If they make an armistice it lasts one turn, and you do get a notification in your messages, but I understand if you didn't read those.
    I did. But I also couldn't remember which each region was called. Maybe make it so that region names are always on top of things, so I can see what "Central Britannica" is etc.? (Also not sure if that's an actual name...)

If that happened it must be a bug. Good to know.

Battles are... confusing
    In what way? Is it that you don't know how to expect a certain result, you don't know why you won or lost, or?
    It seemed to me that you clicked one of the arrows on your side to pick a strategy. But after learning these are random, I just happened to get the same strategy when clicking the same arrow, and I might be slightly insane

This is a list of the strategies you've seen that particular general use. It's only really useful if you know which strategies are good against which other strategies, so you can try to get certain generals of yours to fight certain enemy generals.
    Is there a way to know which strategies beat what?

Whats a recon team?
    What?
    A recon team was something I saw either under a general's strategies or over a region with a fortress.. can't remember, will screenshot it sometime.
    Hmm, must be a bug. I'll look at that one.

They're mostly historically accurate flags. And since everyone is your enemy, anything that isn't your flag is enemy. Also try pressing F6 to color the regions according to nation.
    Good point!

They don't fight better than anyone else, but they can be annoying if you don't have men available to stop them before they grow.
    When you lose 6 regions to rebels on one turn, you will feel my pain

Something makes me think this would be much funner with human players as well

After my second playthrough...

I get two spies per phase when I pick them
    Forts take 5 men to build I think? But are limited to what seems the amount of land you control
    Demolishing them gets you back no men
    Spain won, again.
    Generals cost 5 men as well, cannot be built in same region as another general.
    The unit placement is in increments of Inf = 1, Cav = 5, Cannon = 10 (Risk style)
    I took some screenshots of interesting things also, which I have uploaded below.
    There was no menu to be able to quit or save miggame (That I could find)
    The scrolls on top of the screen overlap
    The arrow keys directions are inverted. Right goes left, left goes down.
    Arrowkeys move in increments and get very laggy if you hold them down.
    The red scroll doesn't differentiate between turns. So I have no idea what happened this turn or last turn if I don't remember it all.
    The first screen shot is of the recon thing, I assume a battle strategy. The fourth one is of Suprise attack and Ambush being two different strategies, which I found strange.
    What is a generals rank?
    If you take a region, you can attack from that region, unless it was defended by a fort or it was in rough terrain. If you have a General in the battle, and the enemy had 5+ troops,
    -manual
    I don't understand this part?
    The F1 modes don't dont much because they only color territories by their continent, not current owner. Also, only one mode shows whats actually on a territory.

I'll let you know if I find out/remember anything else
    Last edited by Alpha Zeke; September 03, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback. This morning I was able to correct some of the issues. These corrections will be automatically applied to your game when it updates next time you run it.

• Added a menu button in game (the hotkey F12 was always there, but there was no visible button)
    • Added an option to show round numbers in the message scrolls
    • Fixed the bug that showed a huge number of connected territories.
    • Fixed the arrow key directions

A couple more things for Řmega:

Is there a way to know which strategies beat what?
    You could figure it all out perhaps if you read the data.xls in the Modules\Main\Data\Descr folder. All the strategies and matchups are defined on the Strategies sheet. But don't ask me to explain what all the numbers mean. The other way is to play for a long time and learn by experience.

Demolishing them gets you back no men
    It does give back 1 battalion.

The F1 modes don't dont much because they only color territories by their continent, not current owner.
    F6 toggles on and off the national coloring.

The F1 modes, if you have edit mode enabled, are for editing the map and scenario. However edit at your own risk, since you won't be able to play MP if you edit the map, unless you copy the map and edit your copy.
    It's pretty easy to make new maps and scenarios if you know how, but there's no documentation for that yet.

Retired moderator of TWC

Just curious, is the amount of Forts you can build tied to the amount of land you control?

Yes it's max(1,(NumRegions / 5)) + sqrt(NumRegions).
    Last edited by Garnier; September 04, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

I will try playing the updated version now

Just curious, any way for you to make it so the AI turns are a little bit more watchable, or is this mainly a multiplayer game?
    Also, do you plan on doing AI difficulties? (Since I get destroyed every time >.<)

Spain won again (What a surprise >.>) I think the connection between Northern Portugal and Ireland should be cut. Great Britain goes from being naturally defended by her coastline to being the biggest target with the most open ends. I was rocking France before I lost to Spain.

For game balance reasons, I don't think England should have those two territories out in the blue (Southern France, Gibraltar I think) because they are not very useful in the long run. By taking those territories away and also removing the Ireland connection, England could become a balanced faction.

I think pictures should be added to the main menu for the Scenario and Map choosing. Also, the arrows should be labeled, as I thought the down arrow meant expand menu, not exit.

But I'm still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Řmega View Post
    Just curious, any way for you to make it so the AI turns are a little bit more watchable, or is this mainly a multiplayer game?
    If you play with fog of war off, you can watch the AI turns.

I think pictures should be added to the main menu for the Scenario and Map choosing.
    I doubt I'll do that as it would make more work for the scenario/map maker. I want to keep those things as easy to make as possible.

Also, the arrows should be labeled, as I thought the down arrow meant expand menu, not exit.
    Yes.

If you want to try MP, I've started an online game where I'm France and the next player is Spain. If you load it by going to Load Online Game -> Find Online and typing garnier_omega, it will add the game to your list. Then click the right arrow to load it. You enter a password and email address, and then do your turn. After your turn it will alert my by email that it's my turn, and then alert you on yours, and so on.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 04, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Alright, seems simple enough. I've made my move, then it emailed you and it was your turn so I left the game And I should rejoin when you have taken your turn, correct?

That's correct.

Also, if anyone else wants to join this MP game, just post which nation you want, and give me an email address, and I can add you to the game.

Retired moderator of TWC

Garnier, would you mind if I used your sig to promote the game?

Go ahead.

And I sure hope massing against you was the right thing to do... Britain has gutted my lands now..

Retired moderator of TWC

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

I can't get it too work. I have downloaded net framework 4.0, because I couldn't install 3.5. But still nothing.
    I have send the error report to you though.

BUT what a good idea!!!! Amazing!!! I really hope you will continue with this and make this a real big game. (and I hope I can play it soon too )

Thanks in advance, Eól

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast