View Poll Results: What Eras of War do you like the best in games?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modern/WW2/Sci-Fi War in games

11 25.00%
  • Ancient/Medieval/Fantasy in games

33 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats more excting in games? Fantasy/Ancient/Medieval War or WW2/Modern/Sci-Fi War?

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon4 Whats more excting in games? Fantasy/Ancient/Medieval War or WW2/Modern/Sci-Fi War?

I would say Sci-Fi War is probably my favorite type of war in Games, Modern to especially those 1000+ plus battles in ARMAA2.

The problem is though a Modern War/Sci-Fi Scenario is much harder to imagine. Few games simulate it perfectly. There are just to many factors involved, Tanks/Infantry/possible air. The only game I have seen it simulated perfectly on epic proportions is ARMA2 in battles like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6F...eature=related

I would really like to buy that game and do a 1200 Infantry/300 Tanks vs 1200 Infantry/300 Tanks. Then I could get a feel for how an epic battle battle would be like in Modern War.

The Total War series has simulated Ancient/Medieval War perfectly and Mod have given attention to the Fantasy side of things. Its just much easier to simulate since the Warefare is much simpler then modern/sci-fi war.

So what do you guys like the best?

Default Re: Whats more excting in games? Fantasy/Ancient/Medieval War or WW2/Modern/Sci-Fi War?

I prefer Medieval. It's a lot less complicated and I just like the atmosphere a lot more.

Default Re: Whats more excting in games? Fantasy/Ancient/Medieval War or WW2/Modern/Sci-Fi War?

I like pretty much all of them.
    Maybe that's because I think that it's much more important how well the games are made, than what kind of setting they have. Even the weirdest (well, not every possibility, I guess...) setting can make for a very good game if it is designed well.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

im not a big fan of fantasy (LOTR is ok), but medievall and ancient surely are my preferences

Certainly not scifi or modern where its all bullets and lasers

Medieval and Fantasy are my preference
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Yea, Fantasy/Ancient/medieval is a lot easier to imagine since Total War simulates it perfectly, to bad most good games out there are more shooting oriented but no game simulates a warefare scenario very well because of re-spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellus88 View Post
    Yea, Fantasy/Ancient/medieval is a lot easier to imagine since Total War simulates it perfectly, to bad most good games out there are more shooting oriented but no game simulates a warefare scenario very well because of re-spawns.

Well I can say that I like Mass Effects style, and I liked Deus Ex so depending on the story goes and how the game is made and played I can like both types IMO.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

i like medieval/ancient/fantasy because i geuss just shooting somebody doesnt feel like im doing something cool but when i run up in someones face with a large battle axe and kill them it feels really cool

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I can't say I care all that much.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Anything can be exciting if done right.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

I'm at an impasse; I like ancient and medieval, but I also like sci-fi

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

I just picked Medieval because I don't really care for fantasy, ancient or sci-fi. Modern is the flavor of the last 5 years and it's a dead horse. WWII was the flavor of the 7 years before that and it's still a dead horse to me.

I like all of those actually, so it depends on my mood. But I actually spend more time playing medieval and fantasy stuff in rpgs and rts games.

You should have put more of a variety of choices. I will choose historical. I don't think ww2 should be in the first choice.

Doesn't need to be more choices, the Fundamental difference between them both is one has more focus on Melee War/Huge armies conflicting and the battle ends in one day while the other might have huge armies conflicting but the battles last for months and each engagement is a battle. Well unless your talking sci-fi war where they fight over planets during the ground war and it ends quicker.

I always have this dilemma. I like to fantasize about a big sci-fi galaxy combining babylon 5, star trek, star wars, warhammer divided into 2-3 galaxies...and It has all this lore and stuff im not gonna get into details but its hard to imagine this made up thing of mine involving medieval/ancient/fantasy war so I just imagine they are on colonial worlds and factions represent the galactic conflict as a hole....

meh i should not think about it so much. Then theres the other side where I imagine playing Medieval 2 kingdoms mods and for each mod each empire of mine is part of the galactic federation an I just imagine every mod I play is just a different planet and they are connected by space sailing ships, they choose to live a traditional life style and did not wanna live like their allies who left the planet to explore the stars.

Sifi or medevial/fantasy, its modern setting I can't stand.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaio View Post
    Sifi or medevial/fantasy, its modern setting I can't stand.
    Seconded.

I like ancient, medieval, fantasy, and sci-fi settings -- but not so much from the last couple centuries (including the present). Warfare from the 16th through 21st centuries hold little interest for me.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Well I'd prefer fantasy over sci fi. Other races tend to be more interesting than aliens.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I like sci fi the most, but only if its anything like mass effect with saving private ryan. I like my off world wars to be nice and brutal and my space ship battles to be big and crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast