Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Faction Re-textures by Massive_attack (not compatible with V4)

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Faction Re-textures by Massive_attack : Faustian Reich & Privateers

you could retexture the Muslim Factions, make them more unique.

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Yes Muslims are the ones more in need. I would suggest the Barka to be given some more "archaic" feeling about them,or the Vashta something more "modern"(they're supposed to be something like the Turks aren't they-?)...as to HOW to do that,I cannot say

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

I mean what general themes should i use, should i go warm colors, bright colours, or dark colours, do i make troops look highly unique (almost semi-feudal) or do i attempt to make a faction seem more uniformed and organized, etc etc. How should a factions culture affect how they look (a nomadic faction, for instance, would likely have alot of variance in what they wear), what environmental factors should be considered (in a desert, for instance, camouflage/dark uniforms would look out of place in the heat, where you can see almost everyone and anyone regardless of what they wear, and most sane men would wear some kind of facial "protection" to keep sand out of ones mouth/nose). That sort of thing. You guys each probably have a clear idea how each people should look, and id like to hear your thoughts.

Mmmm let me think...it would be prudent to focus the "desert" elements on the Tahar and the Barka,as the Vashta are present in Slavia as well. As for the culture,they are all technically post-nomadic,but the Tahar in particular have a very nomadic feeling...so I'd suggest to make the Vashta more similar to an organized military force:their Yani Ceri are professional troops,and they're the focus of their military.
    The feudal look would be good for the Barka,IMHO,and I would reserve the "honour" of having many different colours and variance in wear for the Tahar,as they have a lot of troops wearing long robes.

So:
    Vashta - organized,not renaissance but military disciplined
    Barka - feudal,it probably would be a good start to just try recolouring here and there,to remove the "cartoonish" vanilla bits
    Tahar - nomadic desert dwellers,as you said with facial protection and great variety of colour

This is all IMHO of course,and open to other suggestions.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Vashta should be given part of Ibellica and a few ren units.

Mmmm I could understand the ren units,but why Ibellica?Plus,the AI will never be able to manage 3 fronts...

Because Faust needs an organized muslim faction to shoot at, and that isn't Tahar!

They may not look that organized,but they almost always are one of the major powers anyway...plus they're getting this line infantry and already have other gunpowder units,so it should be good enough.

Yeah, I guess.

Citizen

Im not going to do code or map changes. That is not the focus of this mod. Perhaps you should make your own submod ? Id like to see it ! (just remember to ask for permission first !)

I would like to make a submod for this about colonial powers (germany, britain, etc) using this map, but it would require a lot of skinning and editing, which I am not good at in M2.
    Well, I'm not good at skinning at all (mostly because I don't want to buy photoshop). If there is another, free program that you can use for M2, then PLEASE tell me.

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

Probably worth me pointing to the sticky and the comments regarding the type of sub mods that would and wouldn't be granted permission.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

I meant one centering around the fight between Faust and Privateers, with maybe a few more ren factions in the Faust style.

that would fall under

(note submods that radically change the 'story' of Thera, or alter dynamics/balance are unlikely to be approved, so still a no to undead mummy factions )
    To gain use of the basic map though you could just contact Gundug as he made the orginal version of the map. But the faction names/thera units etc would be unavailable.

This isnt to be obstructive, but it has taken a long time to establish this mod. A lot of work has gone into setting the mod story and the basic character of the mod. If a mulitude of alternative versions of this story were permitted it would dilute this lore the mod would lose it's identity.
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; September 01, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

Oh, well that is perfectly understandable. It is really the Reich's models and textures that I would want (though the map would be cool too), but if it would be too game-changing (which it probably is) then that is perfectly understandable.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Agammemnon View Post
    I would like to make a submod for this about colonial powers (germany, britain, etc) using this map, but it would require a lot of skinning and editing, which I am not good at in M2.
    Well, I'm not good at skinning at all (mostly because I don't want to buy photoshop). If there is another, free program that you can use for M2, then PLEASE tell me.
    I use photoshop. For freeloaders, theres always gimp, but ill warn you, it sucks.

It does, I've tried it.

I love gimp, but then again Im a terrible skinner.

@ Agammemnon: There is nothing to stop you making personal mod of that sort using thera assests, but you just couldnt release it publicly. I would be prepared to help you on a personal version (time allowing of course)
    Last edited by TheFirstONeill; June 10, 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Citizen

Hey, make your own threads i found this one first !

Jk, but seriously... somewhat on topic please.

Alright, I'll get back on-topic.