Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: TURTLEMOD:REVOLUTION for TATW3.2(patch10/28/12)(quickstart addon 11/10/12)

Default Re: Turtle Mod RELOADED for TATW2.1(3/19/11),NEW PATCH(5/15/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Euripides View Post
    First: Thank you for balancing TATW so well. Its rare to find such a gem with the submod index as crowded as it is.

Now in regard to your previous post: I'm sorry, but does that mean Germanicus5's AI is an improvement over Turtlemod's base AI? I'm just not sure how to qualify the above statement.

Finally, I do not mean to pry, but could you possibly indulge us with an idea of what changes will be made to the next version?

Thank you for your time.
    Thankyou, for trying my little submod euripidies. regarding my above post, Germanicu5's ai is actually the default ai in tatw 2.0. I swapped it out for another battle AI called xbai which i believe was used in tatw 1.0. I had some issues that I assumed were particular to my style of play which led to the switch. Also I wanted to strip down the campaign script because I didn't understand scripting very well when I started this and switching these ai's helped with that. My personal experience is that Reallybadai v5.1 is a sizable step forward over the version that was released with TATW2.0. My personal modding motto is to not fix what doesn't need fixing. So if they continue to use reallybadai when TATW3.0 gets released, I will be inclined to leave it.

Gwathuirim barbarians/new pics
    heres some edenwaith barbarians i'm working on, models are spliced from released models of rusichi, bc, and 1066, skins 90%origional. the units are a skirmisher with club and heavier unit with axe and a couple of throwing spears.I'll post a few new screens soon, these were my first units

generic northmen + AnduinVale
    These units certainly do not offer anything creatively brilliant past dg's base work, but they're solid enough and have more of a ME feel than the units I imported from other mods, these fellas will replace quite a few rebel units and allow me to pear down the EDU and recruitment EDB a bit. I'll be narrowing the shield width to chop off some mesh distortion I've seenNothing special with vale right now either, with four factions to integrate I'm throwing it down fairly hot and sloppy. I'm following KK's lead in vale with the heavy Rusichi influence. Honstly the rusichi's look fairly BA with some TA gear tossed on. Shot with wrong skin which is why some faces are black.

THIS IS DUNLAND(large images)
    This final shoot is probably more exciting for me than the viewer as most changes aren't really something that shows up in a screen shot. Anyways the dunlands core army of 5 units is done. Thanks to DG&1066, BC, Rusichi, and KK. I honestly can't image how long this would've taken without these models and skin sheets to build upon.
    Last edited by alleycat; February 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: new pictures and info dec8

Thanks for the update! I just noticed a few things while playing that concerned me.

AOR units, like Greenway Gaurds, Athala Rangers, Blackroot Vale Archers, etc. are very difficult to acquire. I understand that's most likely what you inteneded for many of these units, but in some cases I have to call into question their attainability. The restrictions on settlement upgrades; which are very well thought-out and add a greatly needed dimension of balance to the gamplay; make it nigh impossible to train these soldiers. Blackroot Vale Archers/Greenway Gaurds simply can't be trained period due to this, Athala rangers can only be trained in one of three available provinces, etc. I haven't tested this with every faction, but it's a concern of mine and I hope you can shed light on it.

For Eriador, the Hall of Kings cannot be built due to the restrictions mentioned above. Human units aside from merchants can be recruited out of the shire due to farms, and Woodlund Hunters may be recruited from Bowyers.

Finally, it may be just me but it seems as though the new AI-Only factions, while certainly leveling the playing field, seem to crumple if you take one of their settlements. This is my experience with ALL of them. What I mean is: If you take one or two settlements the AI becomes far less agressive or challenging than the fully fledged factions. This can take some of the "turtle" out of turteling for some factions. Perhaps fleshing these additions out some more would help with this.

I hope you consider my suggestions. Keep it up! Though it may be small, this is by far one of the best sub-mods available!

I'm actually working on these issues out right now, I'll load up a new minipatch in post 101 in a few days with some new units and fixes for these problems, I transfered the hidden resource growth restrictions from city walls to farms and governor buildings. I may eventually plug in a second line of these buildings but for now this will do. basically any place will get as big as you want if you have the right governor, I also loosened up growth a bit in eriendor, I'll look at the black vale regions and do something there. yes there's some humans in the shire, I'll get rid of them. Also i swapped back in reallybadai and archeons loyal allies with some additions. In the short term you can remove wall restrictions in export desc_buildings

You are correct about the ai factions. The new factions will eventually have to be made full fledged factions. I was hoping to work around it but they die on the vine no matter what. I'll try the money solution to see if we can get a little more life out of them in the present setup.

Thank you for your dedicated work! I had tried MOS, but found out that there are some straaaange unit characteristics Yesterday i've downloaded your mod and now I have a feeling that this is it! The Third Age at its best!

Thankyou Dvarnrock and welcome to the forums. I'm glad you feel at home with this submod. I know no harm was ment, but kindly refrain from making critical comments about a mod outside of that specific mod's thread. Such things can sadly take on a life of their own. Also, I'm sitting on the throne of odd unit edu's . Anyways, please enjoy and check back once in a while as I hope to get out one more full patch before 3.0.

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Thankyou Dvarnrock and welcome to the forums. I'm glad you feel at home with this submod. I know no harm was ment, but kindly refrain from making critical comments about a mod outside of that specific mod's thread. Such things can sadly take on a life of their own. Also, I'm sitting on the throne of odd unit edu's . Anyways, please enjoy and check back once in a while as I hope to get out one more full patch before 3.0.
    no harm done

Just got TATW 2.1 running smoothly all day on new games PC.
    Downloading your mod now Alley Cat - this is the pace I like to play.
    Thank you - been watching progress of Turtle Mod with anticipation.

Thumbs up!

-- Tokus*Bombadil

Am really enjoying this mod Alleycat - keep up the great work - as always.

-- Tok

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Wow! Interesting project! Are the previewed units already playable in this version?

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Wow! Interesting project! Are the previewed units already playable in this version?
    Theres a few in the beta up above. I have to finish about 2-4 more units and finish plugging in factions. I should be able to release an unbalanced beta in a couple of weeks which will be missing most cosmetics like banners, officers, new vnvs and such. At that time I'll try to release a separate pack for just the units so people some mod skills can plug them into other thirdage submods.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I have to say I realy liked the style of your units.

The concept seems very interesting but the new units arent working, most of them make M2TW crash with a "unspecied error" and rhûn chariots have silver saurons riding them. Isengard 2handed axeman are the only ones I didnt saw any problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    The concept seems very interesting but the new units arent working, most of them make M2TW crash with a "unspecied error" and rhûn chariots have silver saurons riding them. Isengard 2handed axeman are the only ones I didnt saw any problem with.
    The models i've released are just dropped over the 1066 entries so they work just fine. I use Custom Battles as my personal sketch pad and frankly couldn't care less about its functionality. The chariots have nothing to do with me. The crash comes from miss alignment between edu faction ownership and modledb entries, it will work itself out when I'm done as a lot of stuff is getting pushed around right now.

Oh, so it wont give any problems in the campain? Ok, I'll give it a try as soon as get enought time =)

I think if you activate bandits and poland for custom battles through the desc_sm_faction, you might have better luck with looking at the new units without a crash.

Looks really good, had a similar project going (far less advanced) when I discovered this mod. But there are no hidden resources in the desc_strat in the mod as far as I can see, so I can't build certain units (rohan riders in rohan for example), as they require a certain hidden resource (rohan in this case).

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Baggins View Post
    Looks really good, had a similar project going (far less advanced) when I discovered this mod. But there are no hidden resources in the desc_strat in the mod as far as I can see, so I can't build certain units (rohan riders in rohan for example), as they require a certain hidden resource (rohan in this case).
    There shouldn't be hidden resources in descr_strat, they are in descr_regions.

EDIT: 400th post

Now this explains a lot...
    - Thank you very much, I mixed them up.

After I deleted map.rwm everything works fine for me finally.
    (Had to manage 40+ rounds with tiny but expensive militias and bodyguards.)

Default Re: Turtle Mod REANIMATED for TATW2.1(3/19/11),HALLOWEEN PATCH(10/28/11)(newunitpreview added 11/7)

really enjoying this slow paced mod. hope to see it finished with little garrison etc scripts. the kind that spwn defenders whether or not you use spies to open the gates. have you considered upping the unit limit for diplomats, spies and such? personally like the idea of spy network, especially when playing isengard and mordor. and lots of diplomats in ally cities.

don`t know if this is bug or intended, but regular rebel castles and towns do not have any garrison...

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Turtle Mod REANIMATED for TATW2.1(3/19/11),HALLOWEEN PATCH(10/28/11)(newunitpreview added 11/7)

yes, that's for sure a great mod. back playing after some months and now trying the reanimated patch. begun campaign with dale, dwarves and eriador (about 80 turns) and with silvan elves (170 turns). all is going fine and well balanced.
    some things i have to say:

- elves and dwarves generals have malus on population growth. that's interesting but means that they will be quite never governors (don't like that much)
    - about faction relationship:
    1. in all 3 campaigns isengard attacked dunland (not good, that weaken isengard, always lost against rohan). think they should be allies from begin and maybe give to isengard more regions like the gap of rohan and adorn to rebels
    2. the rebels settelments are empty. place some units is better
    3. in the two different campaigns with eriadors the high elves attacked me, even after i gifted them settlements lik ost in edhil and lunelaith. probably was just bad luck, but i would raise starting allied relationship
    4. lower for all the relationship with edains and enedwaith (for me they should be enemies of everyone)

- tharbad in strat map is morannon
    - from vanilla and other mods experience i noticed that evil factions tends to be stronger. in reanimated 4 campaigns, rohan and gondor always stand still and advance, even after 3018 with the mordor stacks

sure have other to say but now don't remember. want to underline these are not critics, just opinions.
    what i found awesome in this mod (without talking about improved strategies) is the mini factions concept

(edit) forgot 2 things:
    1. the recruitment system is awesome - the impossibility of recruit advanced units in non-home settlements is a pearl, that makes you advance and fortify (i.e. no more eldar swordsmen in barad dur)
    2. too much money. i begun an eldar campaign in 3.0 . it's really difficult to have funds, which i found correct. in reanimated with every faction i tried VH/VH i have quite always a high surplus of gold, which leads to have a large amount for bad times. i would absolutley lower gold entrances
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; December 15, 2011 at 08:04 AM.