Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Early Campaign Conquest Guide

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: Early Campaign Conquest Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabanana View Post
    Genius, I was wondering, are you gonna do a similar guide on BI factions?
    I don't think so. I haven't played much BI and don't feel any guide I make for it would be good. Someone else could do one though
    Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    If you don't mind losint territory, you can just pack your things on the first turn, and erase Julii+SPQR from the map and settle there
    Or see here . Gaul is easily doable in 20 turns I reckon. I'll make it a good guide ninjabanana, just for you

Whoa, an awesome speedrun! You really showed the romans who's boss
    A Proud Diloist

-Finland rules
    -Hanoi Rocks rules
    -Eastern factions kick ass

Germania is up

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

@Germania:

Yep, spear warbands rule. The 2nd best unit from the 1st level barracks. (the best is the scythian horse archer)
    If upgrading the armorer, it is perfectly possible that they stay for the whole length of the game too. (and if you take out the romans, your guys will have 6+ experience).

I also concur with the spear warband + chosen axe + chosen archer + noble cav setup, works well. (axes can storm walls quite well, warbands will work in street fighting too)

However, when possible (have the gold, time, etc.) I use a fear army quite often, only for the fun factor
    This is a line of spear warbands (4-5 units), backed by 1 unit of screeching women, and night riders/berserkers/warhounds who will attack flanks. Awesome sight, and much character, especially if you manage an ambush!

1 more thing with warhounds. If you recruit them from a settlement with biggest Woden temple, they seriously RULE. (also from the Scythian violence temple)

Conquest:

I usually attack the britons first, and take out their continental settlement. Their generals are joke for spear warbands (they usually suicide charge, both on the field and in cities), and their slingers/warbands will rout after their general is dead.
    After this what will happen is that they land a half stack in Belgica from time to time. Luckily, if you have time to create a nearly-full stack, it is very easy to steamroll their island, which will stabilize finances.

After this I either cripple gaul (taking Alesia is enough for that, they are doomed without their capital) or attack into Julii territory through the Alps.

Attacking romans are more interesting and more lucrative then finishing gaul, but if you do that early, the endgame will be boring.
    (what I usually do is that I take out the Julii and the Senate, and leave south italy alone, so that a challenge is left for late game)

I usually don't care about Dacia/Scythia at all, nor for the rebel settlements to the east. That is a wasteland...

Freya temple:
    I usually keep 1, and put a family member there. He gets and passes over Priestess of Freya to other family members. (the only management bonus retinue you can get on your own. Of course you can conquer Briton temples and roman academies)

Useful retinues from own buildings:

Wrestler (donar temple) useful for everyone
    +1 influence, +1 security

Priestess of Freyja, useful for governors
    +1 Management, Increases the chance of having children, +1 to public health

Priest of Donar, useful for commanders
    +2 Command when attacking

Priest of Woden, usefule for commanders
    +2 Command when commanding infantry, after battle healing

I am not sure about bard,because by the time I get the bard from bard's circle, I usually have a drink companion (or something) as well, which equal each other out.

More useful comments shikaka
    However, when possible (have the gold, time, etc.) I use a fear army quite often, only for the fun factor This is a line of spear warbands (4-5 units), backed by 1 unit of screeching women, and night riders/berserkers/warhounds who will attack flanks. Awesome sight, and much character, especially if you manage an ambush!
    I didn't mention a full fear-inducing army, but it's definitely a possibility with Germania. Combine with TSE for elephants, chariots and cheap archers for flaming arrows and you've got an army that greatly reduces morale

About fear army:

If the enemy doesn't have a very good general, it is very likely that the flanking by your various axes + the fear factor of them (berserker, night rider, warhounds, screechers) is enough for an instant chain rout.
    That means you don't have to retrain often in field battles, what you have to (who make the initial contact) are warbands or regular axemen, which is easy.

btw, is Gaul gonna be up ?
    i never played a full campaign with them because i suck badly.

Great ..!! can you make julii guide ?
    Germany For Ever

Sure, it might be a while in coming, but I'll add it to the list to get around to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucarius View Post
    btw, is Gaul gonna be up ?
    i never played a full campaign with them because i suck badly.
    Gaul will be soonish. I've put an order up in the OP so people know what's next and can order one in

Yay !

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Im playing Numida right now and your guide certainly has paved the way for me to conquer africa and expand into Scippi territory! While also taking on those pesky Egyptians! Cant wait for Thrace though thats my next faction to play!

I'm glad you've found it helpful! I'll try to get Dacia then Thrace up soon for you. Thrace really is an interesting faction and good fun to play.

Thanks for your patience everyone, Dacia and Thrace are up

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Thanks for your patience everyone, Dacia and Thrace are up

Good points with those!

To be honest I never liked those two in campaign. They both seem to be just thrown together...

Do you have tips on how to avoid swimming in squalor with barbarians?

With those settlement what I capture early (and destroy fertility temples, markets to avoid population boom) it is usually not a problem.
    However, when I capture greek and roman cities, with big natural growth, and with large population already (like 9000+), the possibilties are limited..

Thanks mate! I prefer Dacia to Thrace, though neither campaign gets me particularly excited.

Hmm, squalor. Well, everything you've said works a treat, but settlements still want to grow beyond the 6000 pop. limit that barbarian factions find useful. Repeated extermination might be your only recourse in the long run. Or giving the plague to your own settlements

It's a problem with the barbarian build tree that they can't do anything about high populations. The unhappiness from the squalor is hard to offset. To be honest, I haven't experienced the trouble before because my games usually end before it becomes too much of an issue, but I can imagine that Gaul would have a lot of trouble trying to keep fast-growing settlements like Carthage and Thebes, especially if they had farms too.

If you don't need the highest upgraded units in a city that's growing too fast, you could choose not to upgrade the Warlords buildings, as these will decrease squalor, thus increasing growth IIRC. Though for the settlements where this would be most useful, like the Nile regions, they start with a population high enough to mean your build tree would start at maximum if you took control of it. Still, worth a thought I suppose.

Incidentally for everyone else, the market upgrades are quite bad. The only thing you'll want from them are spies, and occasionally, assassins, though I've gone a long time without needing to assassinate anyone. Don't ever upgrade past the assassin level because the amount you spend on the building will likely never be made back again. Your units don't need the high-level forges either. 24,000dn for the Merchant's Quarter? Bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Thanks mate! I prefer Dacia to Thrace, though neither campaign gets me particularly excited.
    Dacia and Thrace would be good, if those factions were histrorically correct in vanilla.
    Dacia misses some units only, but Thrace shouldn't be a regular barbarian with greek looking units...

True, CA never meant that they should be played, but with a bit more effort from them, we would have won 2 really interesting factions.

Hmm, squalor. Well, everything you've said works a treat, but settlements still want to grow beyond the 6000 pop. limit that barbarian factions find useful. Repeated extermination might be your only recourse in the long run. Or giving the plague to your own settlements

That is quite a problem for me. I usually quit playing my barbarian campaigns after I severly weaken the romans.
    The german homelands for example are easy to manage, because of the low growth. However, when I get Italy, I finish playing, because I don't want to exterminate each city every 10-15 turns or so, it becomes repeatative and boring.

Good to see this didn't die

Oh, and about the Falxmen, why on earth can't their unit card say they have a powerful attack? Their attack stat is just 10, but in reality it's probably closer to 15-20. What's with these hidden stats?
    A Proud Diloist

-Finland rules
    -Hanoi Rocks rules
    -Eastern factions kick ass

I've often wondered about the Flaxmen's attack as well. It makes very little sense.
    I personally like the Bastarnae, to be honest. I love units with multiple hitpoints.
    Good couple, you did a good job of defending/explaining Dacia's seemingly-pathetic roster.
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

I've grown to be quite fond of Dacia over the years from initially thinking they were the worst faction. In campaign they can really be terrific with their access to awesome tier 2 units, and I'd guess they're not bad on low/moderate MP either with their access to Scythian Merc HAs to boost their ranged potential.

True, CA never meant that they should be played, but with a bit more effort from them, we would have won 2 really interesting factions.
    Agreed. A Dacian campaign in particular could have had lots of potential and should have been able to get stronger over the game to present a challenge to Rome later on.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabanana View Post
    Good to see this didn't die
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm slow

Oh, and about the Falxmen, why on earth can't their unit card say they have a powerful attack? Their attack stat is just 10, but in reality it's probably closer to 15-20. What's with these hidden stats?
    Not sure, but it's quite misleading. It's like chariots and their special attack. It's not really explained how to use them effectively on the unit card, and their actual abilities don't come through on it at all.

And Spain is up. I'm going to try to get the other two that were requested done soon because I'm going to be very busy later on next month. Here's hoping

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast