Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
Results 441 to 453 of 453

Thread: The world's most utterly useless country...

  1. #441
    Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hobs Crk
    Posts
    10,678

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I think if you counter the good with the bad, the modern Catholic church is a force for good in the modern world. Let the past be the past, everyone got skeletons.
    No religious organization is a force of good. The Pope can go die in a fire.

  2. #442
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar I am your sovereign now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    14,544

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    I honestly think that this unfortunate thread has the potential to bring out the worst in our members here at TWC. It also actively begs us to start nation bashing and race baiting for really no good reason that I can see. It's a shame that it simply hasn't petered out and been forgotten. At least my threads that could be misconstrued as such are comical, like the Putin one, or my new thread about Charles, Prince of Wales.

  3. #443
    Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the north way
    Posts
    13,885

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    You right a Museum serves a better porpuse then the vatican archives. It is much more usefull anyway, and to a larger number of people too. im not sure if serious, .... both are equaly invaluable imo, you are making a biased judgemental value. You a deeming the vatican archives more important because somehow you value more western wrtten knowledge. Knowledge doesnt need to be all written, nor being written on paper gives it more significance.
    Okey my investment in this very random dispute is approaching zero. I really dont know anything about the cairo museum, and my assessment of the Vatican library's importance is not based on some misplaced weird western superioritycomplexracism, no I'm deeming it more important because the Vatican contains new information and texts that exist nowhere else, while most museums contents is well documented online.




    Past? tell that to the Africans droping dead with AIDS right now....but i see your point, The chatolic church on the massive charity work, and social endevours, its acomplishements are undeniable.

    At anycase going back to the original argument i fail to see how this makes Egypt, and all Muslim countries useless, by default.
    I was never part of the "Muslim countries are useless" discussion and thats a terrible ting to say. I was just commenting on the "Vatican vs Cairo museum" thing..I feel stupid now. This thread is stupid.

  4. #444

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    49
    The Swiss stopped the Austrians, Burgundians, and/or Germans from dominating Europe. But especially the Austrians.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

  5. #445
    gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK, somewhere in the middle of England
    Posts
    2,628

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Hmm...well Peru gave us Paddigton Bear so it can't be them. Probably some tiny nation state island in the Pacific that is a couple of miles across...that or some developing African nation like Somalia (I use the word "country" quite loosley there)

    "will help build battle station for food" - or rep

  6. #446

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Okey my investment in this very random dispute is approaching zero. I really dont know anything about the cairo museum, and my assessment of the Vatican library's importance is not based on some misplaced weird western superioritycomplexracism, no I'm deeming it more important because the Vatican contains new information and texts that exist nowhere else, while most museums contents is well documented online.






    I was never part of the "Muslim countries are useless" discussion and thats a terrible ting to say. I was just commenting on the "Vatican vs Cairo museum" thing..I feel stupid now. This thread is stupid.
    Well dont feel bad, its Thema devia

    I was responding to what stratovoros said.. so yeah.. My argument was in that direction. At anycase The vatican archives have limited visitors, and only a few people can ever go there to do research... it is less usefull then the Cairo Museum that is for sure. The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities contains many important pieces of ancient Egyptian history. It houses the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities.
    In wich is used by Universities, and students arround the world every year, it is also one of the bigest touristic atraction on Cairo, recieves thousands of people every year.
    In that sense is by far the most usefull. Also written texts can also be documented online, or digitaly.

  7. #447
    Comes Domesticorum
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Athenai
    Posts
    33,207

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Well dont feel bad, its Thema devia I was responding to what stratovoros said.. so yeah.. My argument was in that direction. At anycase The vatican archives have limited visitors, and only a few people can ever go there to do research... it is less usefull then the Cairo Museum that is for sure. The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities contains many important pieces of ancient Egyptian history. It houses the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities. In wich is used by Universities, and students arround the world every year, it is also one of the bigest touristic atraction on Cairo, recieves thousands of people every year. In that sense is by far the most usefull. Also written texts can also be documented online, or digitaly.
    I have to say, these are some of the most impressive mental gymnastics I've ever seen on TWC, since you still seem to be missing the point entirely.

  8. #448
    Dracula's Avatar Praefectus
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,877

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    49
    The Swiss stopped the Austrians, Burgundians, and/or Germans from dominating Europe. But especially the Austrians.
    ?! Care to elaborate ?

  9. #449

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I have to say, these are some of the most impressive mental gymnastics I've ever seen on TWC, since you still seem to be missing the point entirely.
    No i didnt, you are advocating that the vatican state is very usefull more then any other centers of knowledge in the world... instead of any Muslim state, i think that is very presumptuous stance to begin with.
    But without even ranking them, to even propose they cant be usefull at all is short sighted at very least...
    But if you still think im missing the point, then feel free to enlighten me by all means.


    But i was mistaken in one thing it was Dracula who said it... you were only defending the vaticans honor sort to speak. My counter point, was they arent any more or less usefull then alot of Muslim countries in this particular regard anyway.

    Dracula
    I wonder is any muslim country usefull for anything, even to itself.
    To be fair the Vatican do a lot of work for humanitarian and charity organizations
    Also not wanting to delve deeper in the issue, but i think is important noting, Social Charity, and welfare is also a cornerstone in islamic faith, traditionaly speaking.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; February 10, 2015 at 05:42 AM.

  10. #450
    Suspended by Request
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,845

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Rep the guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I honestly think that this unfortunate thread has the potential to bring out the worst in our members here at TWC. It also actively begs us to start nation bashing and race baiting for really no good reason that I can see. It's a shame that it simply hasn't petered out and been forgotten. At least my threads that could be misconstrued as such are comical, like the Putin one, or my new thread about Charles, Prince of Wales.

  11. #451
    Comes Domesticorum
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Athenai
    Posts
    33,207

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    No i didnt, you are advocating that the vatican state is very usefull... instead of a Muslim state. That was how teh discussion was on about.

    But You right in one thing it was Dracula who said it...
    ...you just made that up.

  12. #452

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...


  13. #453
    Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the north way
    Posts
    13,885

    Default Re: The world's most utterly useless country...

    Right. I think this thread has gone far enough now.

    Closed.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •