Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) - Sub-Mod for SS6.4

strife1013's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

Okay my issue is fixed.
    Last edited by strife1013; August 29, 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Problem Fixed

Amaranth's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

I'd like to say this again that FL must die before the current FH or else game follows another route to choose a new heir. Also it should be noted that until you pass the ancillary to another, if some other character gets too high authority (exceeds 8 or more) game sometimes recognizes that as next heir and even though you pass the ancillary to another you can't always change it's mind. So make sure you pass the Ancillary as soon as you can, before another character reaches too high authority rating. Also you should start a new campaign once you install the mod and try to make sure that you don't alter the files by some other way. Usually re-installing the mod should fix such issues.

@strife1013 it seems your files are messed up somehow. If you tried re-installing Next Heir Mod and it didn't work, try re-installing the mod on a clean install of SS.

Just a little note: Currently my PC is broken and I can't continue my work on the mod, until it's fixed I won't be able to update the mod, however it shouldn't take too long.. I hope.
    Next Heir Ancillary (NHA) Sub-Mod for Stainless Steel & Third Age Total War

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

@TheBard Yes i did start up the setup.exe when i started SS, and im about 100 turns in, its really fun but the heir selection not working consistantly is really killing my game
    Yesterday it worked somewhat i think, heres what happened:

My king (A) ended up dying (naturally of course) and the crown went to his son (B), but the next FH became the old FH (B) first son (C)...not his cousin (D) who held the next heir anc.

Then eventually B died and the next king was C, but then instead of going to B's second son as it had usually done in the last hundred turns, the next heir became D!!!!????!!!

So my question is, has this actually worked, was this a fluke, and why if it is working has it only worked properly now. Sorry if the above was a bit confusing!

I think there may be some issues regarding whether you can influence whether extended family can gain the anc... Anyway great mod and Help please?

@Blip99 Did you start a new campaign after you install the NHA mod or continued an old game ? On my tests NHA never miss it's target even in a lot crowded family trees, unless ofcourse there's any character who reaches too high authority rating beyond my attention. That's why it's best to pass the Ancillary as soon as you can to ensure your pre selected heir has the highest authority before anyone else.
    To be honest I found your explanation a little confusing. If your problem has nothing to do with anything I wrote above, it'd be better if you could provide some screenshots.

@Amaranth
    Yeah i though it would be confusing...but i dont really know how to post a screenshot

This is my first campain for SS 6.3 and it just hasnt worked that i could see and im really annoyed because it is so good a feature
    Maybe ill start a new campain and see what happens then.

Anyway ill see what i can do about the screenshots.

EDIT: Just started a new campain...and it worked??which is annoying as i dont know why it doesnt in the other one...
    Last edited by Merula; August 30, 2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Other campain worked...

Quote Originally Posted by blip99 View Post
    @Amaranth
    Yeah i though it would be confusing...but i dont really know how to post a screenshot

This is my first campain for SS 6.3 and it just hasnt worked that i could see and im really annoyed because it is so good a feature
    Maybe ill start a new campain and see what happens then.

Anyway ill see what i can do about the screenshots.

EDIT: Just started a new campain...and it worked??which is annoying as i dont know why it doesnt in the other one...
    Cause you need to start a new campaign once you install NHA mod, as far as I know it goes same for most other mods as well. There are some files game checks at the start of each campaign and if you change or alter those files later the mod doesn't work, changes just don't take effect.

I'm glad if that solved your problem. About taking screenshots, you can always hit Prt Sc key on your keyboard and paste it on Paint or some other image editing program and save it, but I recommend installing a software called "Fraps" (just google it) makes it a lot easier and also let your screenshots be more qualified. Once you took screenshots just upload the pictures on somewhere like photobucket or imageshack or wherever you prefer and than paste their URL on the forum.

And good luck on your campaign
    Last edited by Amaranth; August 30, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks for this mod, better than use give_trait KingsAuthority 9 +rep
    Teutonic Crusades Sub-mod for SS6.3
    Many graphical enhancements to Teutonic Order and Lithuania factions

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
    Okay my issue is fixed.
    Would you mind sharing how you fixed the problem, so others can search and find the answer?

Thanks Amaranth for your help, it seems to be working alright now.
    Great submod!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blip99 View Post
    Thanks Amaranth for your help, it seems to be working alright now.
    Great submod!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoryn View Post
    Thanks for this mod, better than use give_trait KingsAuthority 9 +rep

You are welcome. Enjoy

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary -NHA- (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

I have a small issue. Not with your mod, but I think with the heir system, but well, let me explain...

I'm playing Lithuania. My king, who is a Regent, had a son quickly. His son became the next heir. Then, I accepted a man-of-the-day who became adopted son of the heir. The heir had a son pretty late and he came of age when the regent was 80.
    So at this time, the regent is 80, his heir (his only son) is 43, he has an adopted (MOTD) son who is 41 and a biological son who is 16. The biological son has had the Heir Crown since he came of age. Before that, the crown was on another family member who has nothing to do with all the story.

So logically, when the regent dies (he's the FL, not the FH, so the next heir should be the one with highest authority), the next heir should be the 16 years old biological son, right ?

The regent died of old age next turn ; and the heir is... The 41 years-old adopted son ?!
    Well, no worries I said, I created a "NotHeirYet" trait which gave -10 authority and gave it to the adopted son after reloading before regent's death. Same issue. Tried to mod the heir crown for it to give +80 auth instead of +8, same issue. Now I think I'm gonna kill this adopted son but I would like to understand why he become heir, so if you have any idea, you're welcome.

Last edited by Shoryn; September 08, 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: Next Heir Ancillary -NHA- (Setting Next Heir) - [Released] Mod for 6.2 and 6.3

I have a small issue. Not with your mod, but I think with the heir system, but well, let me explain...

I'm playing Lithuania. My king, who is a Regent, had a son quickly. His son became the next heir. Then, I accepted a man-of-the-day who became adopted son of the heir. The heir had a son pretty late and he came of age when the regent was 80.
    So at this time, the regent is 80, his heir (his only son) is 43, he has an adopted (MOTD) son who is 41 and a biological son who is 16. The biological son has had the Heir Crown since he came of age. Before that, the crown was on another family member who has nothing to do with all the story.

So logically, when the regent dies (he's the FL, not the FH, so the next heir should be the one with highest authority), the next heir should be the 16 years old biological son, right ?

The regent died of old age next turn ; and the heir is... The 41 years-old adopted son ?!
    Well, no worries I said, I created a "NotHeirYet" trait which gave -10 authority and gave it to the adopted son after reloading before regent's death. Same issue. Tried to mod the heir crown for it to give +80 auth instead of +8, same issue. Now I think I'm gonna kill this adopted son but I would like to understand why he become heir, so if you have any idea, you're welcome.
    I'm not sure I understood the situation correctly, but you said you adopted another son for the heir, before his biological son come to age?
    If yes, then probably you allowed game engine to recognize the next heir automatictly by selecting a suitable character with highest authority. When bio son came to age game already had one picked so it ignored the ancillary. Normally NHA should guarantee no one else becomes heir, but for some reason game sometimes does that, when the Current Heir adopt a son before his bio son come to age. I always suggest waiting for a son come to age before adopting any. Though I must admit, this never happened to me personally. I'd like to test it but my computer is at the Tech Service for repairs, so without it I can only speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    I'm not sure I understood the situation correctly, but you said you adopted another son for the heir, before his biological son come to age?
    Exactly.

If yes, then probably you allowed game engine to recognize the next heir automatictly by selecting a suitable character with highest authority. When bio son came to age game already had one picked so it ignored the ancillary. Normally NHA should guarantee no one else becomes heir, but for some reason game sometimes does that, when the Current Heir adopt a son before his bio son come to age. I always suggest waiting for a son come to age before adopting any. Though I must admit, this never happened to me personally. I'd like to test it but my computer is at the Tech Service for repairs, so without it I can only speculate.
    That should be I think. Makes sense to me at least... Next time I'll await for a bio son first (I wasn't aware this MOTD was going to be the adopted son of the heir, I thought he would be the adopted son of the king). Thanks

Hey, does this sub-mod work with LLP? I saw the one guy said he's testing it but didn't reply back.

I installed LLP then installed this mod and my ancillary doesn't have any text with it.

It could simply be a error somewhere I made during the install.
    Last edited by pastolie; September 08, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pastolie View Post
    Hey, does this sub-mod work with LLP? I saw the one guy said he's testing it but didn't reply back.

I installed LLP then installed this mod and my ancillary doesn't have any text with it.

It could simply be a error somewhere I made during the install.

That's the exact same problem I have... and I don't have LLP. I'm running a basic 6.3 with no BG or RR selected.

This submod will work with LLP if you use my beta version with the Kingdom of Jerusalem faction realistic modification.

I'm running 6.3 with RR and no BYG. I have perm watch towers or whatever.

And LLP + NHA.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

LLP and NHA should work fine together.
    Make sure you re-apply this mod if you've applied the Fixes collection, as it'll make the text of anything that adds new traits or ancillaries disappear until you do.

It's just another example of how the 'leftmost rule' works.
    Since the game doesn't make difference between bastard and biological sons, always the leftmost one will be selected as the new heir.

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Prince View Post
    It's just another example of how the 'leftmost rule' works.
    Since the game doesn't make difference between bastard and biological sons, always the leftmost one will be selected as the new heir.
    NHA usually works fine despite leftmost rule, but in some cases for some reason game ignores NHA and selects the next heir on it's own. But as I said before, it usually happens when the Current FH adopts a son before having a biological son of age. So it's best to adopt once you produce a biological son and wait for him to come to age, pass the ancillary to him first and then adopt if necessary. Cause otherwise game will recognize the adopted as the next suitable heir, it won't discriminate sons as adopted and biological.
    I always suggest passing NHA to a character as soon as possible, if you have a suitable heir in family pass it to him immediately.