Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help an overwhelmed newbie?

Default Can someone help an overwhelmed newbie?

Ok I haven't had RTW for very long (I only recently got into real time strategy games, I'm normally an FPS gamer) but since I got it I've been absolutely in love with it.

Now that I've beaten the normal campaign, I want to expand my experience. Playing online is fun for awhile, playing custom battles is fun for awhile, but with the campaign finished and all of the historical battles won, I need more!

I've been browsing through all of the Mod Workshop forums and been through many threads but I can't begin to decide where to start. First of all, I have just the retail (I guess v1.0) version of RTW. Haven't applied any patches and haven't gotten Barbarian Invasion yet. Second, I know nothing about how modding RTW works. I've picked up something about how with RTW, you cannot have multiple mods in the same instance of the game (i.e. if I want to install 2 different mods, I must have 2 seperate installations of RTW). Is this true? And to what extent? Because I have also read things of certain mods being "compatible" and having several mods installed onto one instance of RTW.

So... where do I begin? What's the latest patch for RTW (I assume i'll need it for any current mod)? Also, what are the biggest/best mods out there right now that are the most stable? I'm looking for a realistic experience. I've seen several mods which update units to look (skins) and behave more realistically or to be more historically accurate. I've also seen mods which update the campaign map and make it larger (more of Africa, more of east Asia, etc) and place factions in more historically accurate starting locations. And then there are the aesthetic mods such as the couple sky mods (it would be fun to play at night), the "burn" mod (the details of which, I'm not that sure of), a possible blood mod (sounds cool, but I haven't seen any screen), and others.

Suggestions? As a big fan of the game and history buff, what do I need to enhance my experience? lol, I know this is alot but I don't know how else to help myself figure it all out, I've only just now decided to step into the RTW modding scene. Thanks a billion to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

Current patch version is up to 1.3. With BI you do not need to install any patches. If you don't use BI you may want to switch to 1.2 as it resolves a lot of issues but also creates other problems so it's a mixed bag. 1.3 is similar in this respect and most mods do NOT work with 1.3 or BI. You have to look for specific mods for each version so be careful. Some will explain in detail what version you must use with them and some don't. If you can't find an answer just ask in the respected forum for the mod.

I have no experience with the Mod Switcher but there is such a program. Perhaps someday soon I will decide to learn how to use it. Apparently it's called exactly that. Mod Switcher. Make sure to read the instructions that come with it of course.

As far as large mods go I have two suggestions. DarthMod and SPQR. Both of them have a mix of history, realism and fun all bundled togeather. Both are very big mods and each one, in the forums, explains what mods it should not be used with. However that never stopped me. There are certain things you can change even after a massive mod is installed. Tho for me it has to do with changing the look of units by adding various textures from other mods or just various textures that have been released.

So right now I'm playing SPQR but it doesn't look much like the standard SPQR.

If you ever played Shogun Total War (the first in the series) then check out Jidai No Ran. It's a conversion of the game from RTW into Shogun Total War. If you like that sort of thing then install and play Shogun Total War (you can find it very cheap these days). However Jidai No Ran won't be ready for some time yet. All 3 mods can be found in the Hosted Community Projects section of the Forums.

Both DarthMod and SPQR are easy to install. Just read the FAQ for each that explain how it's different from the original and what settings you should be using with each to get the proper "effect" of the mod. Keep in mind that both mods play very differently from each other as well as the original game and different way of playing is required to win or just to survive. Also keep in mind that SPQR allows you to use 4 turns a year instead of 2 which also makes for an interesting twist. Either way read up on both these mods and check out all the others as well. There's a lot of great mods out there, I simply have only had extensive experience with these ones.

I hope this helps.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

I would NOT suggest patching to 1.3. MOST modifications are for 1.2, and 1.3 sounds incredibly buggy. Instead, I suggest patching to 1.2, and looking at such mods as SPQR and RTR, which are both only compatible with 1.2.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Know what ya gotta do? Listen to mwa. This is what I did, install Rome Total Realism 5.4.1. Not 6.0 or 6.3 ect because though very realistic it's bland and icky. Now if you google it your gonna get rometotalrealism.com but they switched and the owner now is evil and pretending to be them. So go to this site. http://files.vgpro.com/file/1209/?server=2 this goes to 5.3 (i think) Where you should start is 5.2 (others un needed) then 5.3 5.4 and 5.4.1 . Oh the install is auto so you download load it your downloads go in and start up the exe and it goes itself. Very fun game. I advice 5.4.1 because it's closer to vanilla thne 6.0 I mean your a new player you want action challenge etc with mabey some realism (who knows?) but you don't want 6.0 in that case. Too buggy too long to make even units and just all together lame. After you finish 5.4.1 really you won't be as much as a newb and you can play 6.0 if you want . Anyways this is just my advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    Know what ya gotta do? Listen to mwa. This is what I did, install Rome Total Realism 5.4.1. Not 6.0 or 6.3 ect because though very realistic it's bland and icky. Now if you google it your gonna get rometotalrealism.com but they switched and the owner now is evil and pretending to be them. So go to this site. http://files.vgpro.com/file/1209/?server=2 this goes to 5.3 (i think) Where you should start is 5.2 (others un needed) then 5.3 5.4 and 5.4.1 . Oh the install is auto so you download load it your downloads go in and start up the exe and it goes itself. Very fun game. I advice 5.4.1 because it's closer to vanilla thne 6.0 I mean your a new player you want action challenge etc with mabey some realism (who knows?) but you don't want 6.0 in that case. Too buggy too long to make even units and just all together lame. After you finish 5.4.1 really you won't be as much as a newb and you can play 6.0 if you want . Anyways this is just my advice!
    6.2 is Much better than 6.0, if that is all you tried. When i say that, i REALLY mean it. It got me back into RTR, since the bugginess and slowness of 6.0 bored me. 5.x RTR is kinda eh. It varies from person to person. I personally like 6.2 better than 5.4.1, but there you go.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by eXc|Imperator
    6.2 is Much better than 6.0, if that is all you tried. When i say that, i REALLY mean it. It got me back into RTR, since the bugginess and slowness of 6.0 bored me. 5.x RTR is kinda eh. It varies from person to person. I personally like 6.2 better than 5.4.1, but there you go.
    Suppose I'll have to give that a go then. Have to say I agree with Scar though about 5.4.1 being closer to Vanilla. That could be an important consideration regardless of which version is "better".

Muizer

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

yup,

- patch to 1.2 (none of the main mods use 1.3)
    - download & instal RTW 6.2 (follow the instructions carefully) - goto www.rometotalrealism.org
    - download & instal SPQR - see the SPQR board on this site.

Basically, if you are still new to the game and like the whole strategy part as well as the battles, go for RTR. It is closer to vanilla and still has diplomats, but does play very differently from vanilla.

If you really enjoy challenging battles but less so the diplomat side go for SPQR. Be warned though, you will get overwhelmed by extremely powerful AI forces which can be either brilliant/frustrating depending on your point of view.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Either way though, you'll need the 1.2 patch, not 1.3.
    Although, 1.3 does add a few new (small) elements to the standard vanilla RTW. The graphics are updated a bit, new traits, etc...
    But, if you want realism, RTR is your bet. If you want a new "experience", go SPQR. It's balanced a little more towards fun than hardcore realism.
    I can't tell you about any of the newer mods personally. I quit playing mods some time ago. I was kinda at the point you're at now with the mods. I wanted more, but didn't know where to find (or how to make) what I really wanted. About the only things I'm really itching to see now is a good working SP campaign for Chivalry:TW and any sort of playable version of Napoleonic:TW.

If you're not a graphics *****, check out Medieval:Total War, Rome's predecessor. The graphics aren't as good, but (and I think many would agree) the gameplay is better. It's surely a bargain bin title by now, but well worth any $5-$10 it'd cost you.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Ok, well thanks for the initial suggestions everyone, this has already been a great help.

However, like I said, I'm still new to this, so some things I'm still not getting, such as "vanilla." lol, why does everyone keep referring to this ice cream flavor?? You gotta keep in mind that I'm a fish outta water. When you say "It is closer to vanilla and still has diplomats", this makes absolutely no sense to me. What is vanilla in relation to RTW??

And since someone brought it up, yes I am into realism but only to an extent. Too real = no fun; a game is still a GAME. Also, I do like the diplomatic side (strategy) of the game but I am more into battles. I know Tacticalwithdrawal said that if I like battling more than diplomacy then to go for SPQR, and for more realism, RTR. So can anyone elaborate on these two mods? What are they about? I need some details, or if no one really wants to ramble on about them, can I at least get pointed to a thread or site with screenshots or more detailed info? Thanks again!

Vanilla means original (the origin is that vanilla meaning was the first flavor of ice cream). In Rome: Total War it means it means an unmodded Rome: Total War 1.2.

For mods the most highly reconized and played mods is the "SPQR" mod and the "Rome: Total Realism" Mod.

SPQR - used best with 1.2 patch - have a much high focus on fun. If you want great and epic like battles SPQR is the way to go as battles will last much longer and enermy will fight hard with its many stacks. I played with this game and I enjoyed it quite well.

RTR - Rome: Total Realism - also 1.2 - high focus on historical realism. I never played this mod before (I stuck to SPQR). The design there what I heard is based on realism alot including how you recruit and conquer. I also heard the AI have a hard time trying to building up good armies due to how complicated the recruitment system is.

Both will give an improvemnt in batterfield AI (artifical intellegence) and the soldiers will look better.

BTW diplomacy is more of talking and dealing peacefully then strategy.

I only play Rome: Total Realism, so that is the only one I can answer about.

It is a complete overhaul of the game and promotes slower expansion, more and more varied unit types, a far bigger map than original and so on. There is a unique system for local troops that come with primitive types of barracks and reforming to your own culture in addition to the normal mercenaries. An important factor is that "civilized" cultures need decades of reforms and buildups of a city before they can train their own state troops in that area, and thus your homeland is your only good resource of them.

Battles here are slower, both in movement and kill-speed and thus strategic mistakes are not as forgiving as with the superman-speed in vanilla.

As DarkGhost89 said the AI have some trouble creating good and realistic armies (quite a difference). To balance stuff for both the AI and of the player is hard, especially with the crappy economy- and reqruitment engine in RTW (and that is hardcoded, so it cannot be improved with mods). The recruitment only takes the unit price and skills into consideration, not caring at all about comparing the nations income and the upkeep for the unit, thus they can buy themselves into poverty without problem.

And as Pent uP Rage states M:TW works better, actually. The diplomacy system is completely broken in R:TW, and no mod can help that. And with the more varied units and stuff in R:TW (more categories of units, and a special place in the spotlight to the phalanxes who work like crap, look like crap, and overall ruin the AI's thinking) the battles don't really work as well as they did in M:TW.
    M:TW use sprites graphics though, so don't expect fancy 3D models and special effects.

And lastly about mod compatibility. Mods that alter the same files are not compatible. May it be formations, unit stats, the campaign map, animations, textures, buildings and so on.
    To be on the safe side, assume that no major mod is compatible with any other, because they aren't. If you choose to play any major mod like Rome: Total Realism, DarthMod, SPQR, or whatever else you find, check their respective forums for mods you can use with them and that are recommended. You can experiment yourself of course, but if you are compeletely new to it I would advice asking first and testing later.

Ah, thank you very much Ghost and Inkompetent! It seems to me that I'd like to start with SPQR. You also mentioned DarthMod, so I'll search around and see what that's about. And if I need anything now in the future I'll know who to ask!

No I had the latest version. I know 5.4.1 is closer to vanilla but he's a newb he wants a change but not a drastic one. Here he is with large fun battle's gigantic empires. Goes to 6.0 or later guees what he gets? Alot of building and no fight, when there is the units are bland and BOARING!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo
    Ok, well thanks for the initial suggestions everyone, this has already been a great help.

However, like I said, I'm still new to this, so some things I'm still not getting, such as "vanilla." lol, why does everyone keep referring to this ice cream flavor?? You gotta keep in mind that I'm a fish outta water. When you say "It is closer to vanilla and still has diplomats", this makes absolutely no sense to me. What is vanilla in relation to RTW??

And since someone brought it up, yes I am into realism but only to an extent. Too real = no fun; a game is still a GAME. Also, I do like the diplomatic side (strategy) of the game but I am more into battles. I know Tacticalwithdrawal said that if I like battling more than diplomacy then to go for SPQR, and for more realism, RTR. So can anyone elaborate on these two mods? What are they about? I need some details, or if no one really wants to ramble on about them, can I at least get pointed to a thread or site with screenshots or more detailed info? Thanks again!
    5.4.1 is that boarder between realism and fun. 6.0 has passed it considerably and you will shoot yourself or lose fun in the game DON'T GO THERE YOUR IN YOUR NEWBIE GOLDEN AGE THE GAME IS STILL GREAT DON'T WASTE IT!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scar_Face
    No I had the latest version. I know 5.4.1 is closer to vanilla but he's a newb he wants a change but not a drastic one. Here he is with large fun battle's gigantic empires. Goes to 6.0 or later guees what he gets? Alot of building and no fight, when there is the units are bland and BOARING!!!!!
    Bah, thats nothing but a personal opinion. The units of 6.2 are incredibly diverse and MUCH better looking the vanilla or 5.x...

But you are right on the fact that 5.4.1 is closer to vanilla. IMO tho, if he has played through vanilla already, then why play a mod thats basically vanilla with a different map, units and an even more HUGELY unbalanced egypt?

Harlanite's Avatar Certified Ignoramus

I'm also a relative newbie and haven't started out on the mods yet. I'm not too good with the battles (I frequently skip them), and enjoy the campaign map more. So should I go with RTR then?

Thanks

Yeah it would appear that what they told me is, if you're into the diplomacy then go for RTR, but if you like battles then go for SPQR.

Eventually I will try them both, but for now i'm personally gonna start with SPQR.

Bah, thats nothing but a personal opinion. The units of 6.2 are incredibly diverse and MUCH better looking the vanilla or 5.x...

But you are right on the fact that 5.4.1 is closer to vanilla. IMO tho, if he has played through vanilla already, then why play a mod thats basically vanilla with a different map, units and an even more HUGELY unbalanced egypt?
    Yea it is a personal opinion of course. However since he's new he can't appreciate the slow buildings of an empire..slooow. Like you or I can (I did like it just not anymore). I don't think there very diversafied bascally the same units as 5.4.1 only latin names and like dark brown skin! Anyways this is about helping him right? Most mods out there are basacally vanilla with a few more city's and units. This will get him onto RTR and really I can't think of a better mod. Granted the Ptolmiacs are exteremly unblanaced but not nearly as much. All he needs to do is change the greek and macedon mercs to 500 recruit 500 upkeep though. Realistic too since mercs that an empire depended on wouldn't be as much as normal troops and would know there importance and crank up the money! Anyways he can go to rtr 6.0> Later but not I think a game somewhat close to one he's already played is better for him. I know at the point when I wanted some new things to rtw (mods) if I had the choice of a game like 6.0 and game like 5.4.1 I woulda went with 6.0 but I would've gotten board alot faster and perhaps ruin the whole experience. Which is somewhat what happened to me. People like to build large tedius realistic empires once the game starts to get boaring and old, which isn't the case for him I donno his choice really..

EDIT: noticed he wen't to SPRQ good choice though personally I've never tried it heard great things! If you wanna go to rtr and still have great battles do 5.4.1 thing I said and then install Roma it's reknowned as bascally the hardest mod out there! (Only one faction though you can play as Roma obviously!)

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Good call. Personally i think SPQR is the most fun, also try to play by the house rules, it makes it even more fun!
    You do know how to find the SPQR forum, right?

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Good Luck

[Triple post merged. Please use the edit function. -Simetrical]

A new mod is coming out soon is called Megas Alexandros from what ive seen its amazing you might wanna download that one.

[-----------------------]

Someone explain to me how i can move to being a Pleb or something higher im only a servus right now.
    Last edited by Simetrical; November 28, 2005 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Triple post, merged
    Fratii mei din Romania !! Miinile sus!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast