Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Age of Discovery: Total War (completed!)

Default Re: Age of Discovery: Total War (completed!)

Hi. Does your mod include all the patches to fix sieges and such?

Laetus

The links here are dead but I found it at Moddb site - however, I soon uninstalled. Unstable. Click on more than half a dozen factions on the campaign selection screen and CTD. Once in-campaign, as England, I noted quite a lot fewer regions in Britain and western Europe. That may be because of a region limit, but I sent a ship west to the western map additions and they are a bit rough looking (square looking coastlines) and way too far west (a lot of the middle of this map is empty ocean, which may be to scale but needs to be squished more like the vanilla scale). Whilst out west I noticed much of the expanded western campaign map doesn't show up on the mini-map. I clicked Havana to see what was there and CTD. Before that happened I had noted my pretty powerful PC (for playing M2TW anyway) of i7-3770, 12gb ram and gtx1050ti spluttered and struttered a bit while scrolling (it never does this in the vanilla game).

Economy-wise you're overloaded from the get-go because the settlements are largely already built up. On "very hard" I killed off Ireland in year 1, Scotland in year 2. Meanwhile in France by year 4 had some 8 or 9 full-stack armies built up just around Paris itself. Not surprised, you literally can't spend fast enough, no strategy, just click on every build/recruit option you can every move, you'll still have more money next move. By year 6 or 7 I had nearly half a million gold coins despite my click everything at every settlement approach.

Units-wise it's awfully un-historic. 1450's England is given pike & shot, and musketeers etc (in reality England kept mostly bill & bow for over another century, didn't drop it's last longbow units until the 1580s, still had bills and welsh spearmen listed in 1594). Ireland is even worse, being given loads of unhistoric calivermen! And so on, and so forth. No thought given to history. That extends to the map regions too. Cardiff shouldn't be a city until the 19th century, in the 15th it was barely a village - Ludow castle in England was the effective regional capital controlling Wales at that time. Bristol should be the biggest city in British Isles after London at this time and yet it's ignored - though admittedly M2TW itself and the Renaissance mod is a total failure on these points too...

The UI background is too busy, making it not so easy to see what buildings settlements have, and it's not much better for the units. The battle formations are horrid, unit formations unbalanced (pike blocks square, firearms long thin lines etc)... Look, there's the core of great potential here - music is good, some effort in fleshing out historic events, and the concept of a Renaissance period with an expanded new-world map is a good one, but it's a very unpolished mod - and seemingly long abandoned. Shame.

Can't comment on your other reasons but the campaign selection screen CTD is common in all big mods.