Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hero Renders

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

We'll most likely be going with v1 actually. The problem with v2 is that it looks too much like the Myrmidons. Also, I prefer Achilles without the helmet. I rather like the use of Brad Pitt's face.

Achillies v1 will feature as achillies, and due to model limitations the general for phthia 99% certain will be v2 (ie can be patrocles etc)

Yeah, those are good reasons as v1 looks more unique. Will Patroclus not be included as a hero?

I would if i could. I am accually in the process of making some LOD models, soon i will be awaiting word regarding the model limit. Chances are we could already be over it slightly and may have to cut out some units. If there was no unit limit then patroles would be included as a unique hero too, but because of the limits he will have to be generic phthia (achillies v2).

So, how many heroes will there be? (in total)

very impressive!!!

hang on! there are 15 showcased here, but you said that paris and aeneas would also be included....

I didn't say that... zenith did. :laughing:

All heros will 'feature' but as generic generals. Only the 15 shown here will be unique - and many will double up as generic generals if my hunch about us being over the model limit is true.

ohhh so paris and aeneas will be family members but not heroes.

Well, family members are heroes too. But these are the unique heroes that have their own models. So yes, Paris and Aeneas will be heroes, they just aren't one of the fifteen unique ones. Zhuge didn't explain it very well.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Remove hecktor and put paris instead. He was the favoured child of his father and also is the whole reason the war started..well that acctually was his wife but bah!

No, we're not going to be doing that. As I said, Paris will be present as a hero anyway (read the above series of posts). And no, Paris was not the favoured son of Priam. Read the start of Book XXIV of the Iliad, when Priam laments the death of Hector, saying that he was his best son, and curses the other sons for not being as good as him. Plus Hector's duel with Achilles is the central climax of the poem - Paris doesn't feature in it. The only times when he features he ends up running away. Paris is the reason the war started, but he's really not that important in the war itself. Hector was.

Hector is the second most important character in the actual fighting! He was the second greatest warrior that ever lived! he must have his own model!!!

Do you think that we could have a picture of the generic Trojan general PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Actually could you show us a quick Dorian unit or hero? I just read on oyur faction preview (awesome stuff btw!!!) for Dorians, and it said they were "extremely barbarous" and "ferocious in battle" yet it also says they have iron weapons? So are these barbarians or what? Who were these dudes?

P.S.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I know I must be annoying, but to tell you the truth this mod has made me EXTREMELY interested in this period. I cant stop thinking about it.. I wanna know all I can.

Looks very nice so far! You might want to add in Nestor the king of Pylos (for Pylos), Paris and Aeneas (for the Trojans) It isn't possible to add in some of the Latin tribes is it? Aeneas (hero of the Trojan war, a friend of Hektor's became the new Trojan king and led them to Latium (central Italy) to establish a new Troy and gave rebirth to the Trojan race in the form of the Romans. The Latin heroes could include Turnus (who Vergil described as the second Achilles) and Pallas (The son of a local king who is allied to Aeneas, he is a sort of Patrokles figure). Just an idea....

Is Antilokos not Nestor's son? Zenith knows them all best.

There is much that we would like to have included that we can't due to limitations. As for the heros it is impossible to have so many unique generals. The family tree adds all sorts of problems when it comes to scripting and therefore as a result most of these hero models shown will probably appear as generals for each faction too. These things are unavoidable due to the code.

Well thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately, as Zhuge said, the structure that we've inherited from CA just doesn't let us do these things, however much we'd like to (though we have tried to speak to CA about it). So Paris and Aeneas etc. just can't have their unique models, as we'd have to sacrifice other things to do so.

On the subject of the Dorians, they were rather an odd people. As you might expect, not very much written evidence survives from them, but though barbarians, they do honestly seem to have used iron weapons (one reason advanced for why they wiped out the Mycenaean civilisation in real life). Sadly that faction does not get unique heroes, as we don't know of any particular Dorians from this period (Dorus, Hellen and Heracles were too early for the Trojan War). I'm glad that the mod has made you so interested - and if you have more questions, then keep them coming!

Finally, on the subject of the Latins, I'm afraid that the mod does not expand so far. Perhaps later, if Troy is a success, we could move on to Aeneas' conquest of Italy (it's not a bad idea, actually!) as a follow up, but for now it's outside of our scope. We wanted to make the mod purely Mycenaean and Trojan in character. Besides, Troy might not fall, and it might end up being Agammemnon and Menelaos who have to flee! I have to say, I much prefer the Aeneid to the Iliad, but for now it's just too much.

Antilokhos was Nestor's son indeed. There's a reason why I chose him over Nestor to be Pylos' main hero. Nestor was a very, very old man. Generally in the Iliad he doesn't get into fights, and when he does, it's a kind of comic relief, and he ends up having to run away. Antilokhos was the actual fighter in his family by the time of the Trojan War. Nestor will of course feature, but he won't get a unique model.

very nice renders and great idea that of the heroes indeed
    hope your coder figures out a way to implement one man unit heroes to the campaign
    i ll definitely download TTW
    -my first positive comment for other mod it was-

however Achilleus look in first post is largely disappointing....
    having read Ilias and having in mind all those poetic adjectives used for mighty,godlike,glorius Achilleus,i cant stand that face of the holywood actress

also where are his legendary weaponry?
    just for the shields description Homeros makes me bored with all that stuff he says about it....maybe add some decorative motifs....
    even when Achilleus was dead his weapons were the biggest trophy and the center of attention
    his equipement should be the most impressive from all heroes at least from the Achaians

i hope u eventually select the second version with the helmet so the face of the sissy actor is not visible

since u make that great mod u bear a responsibily....
    u cant present Achilleus like the softy Pit u saw in that lousy movie
    we are talking about one of the most important and warlike bloodlines of the greeks here
    Aiakos,Peleus,Achilleus,Neoptolemos,Molossian kings,Alexandros,Pyrros....

so remember Achilleus is very prone to his legendary "menis" (if u have read Ilias u will understand) and dont make him furious again! :wink:

also i saw Idomeneus who is one of my favorite (and bravest) figures from the whole story

but i m rather confused by the term "Minoan"....
    maybe Cretan would be better

in a way he was Minoan since his forefather was Minos himself
    however if by "Minoan" u mean the preachaic civilization which controlled Krete (and sea) before the so called mykenians,then Idomeneus is not a Minoan
    sure the minoic population didnt suddenly vanished but wasnt dominant in that time supposingly Trojan war occurred

basically Minos may not had been a single person but a title or something,possible adopted by achaians from Minoans which had it in use

i recall that in Ilias about the different dialects spoken in Krete its written that these are of achaians,dorians (probable an anachronism),pelasgians,kydonians and eteocretans
    those last are the closest to Minoans,but Idomeneas is not one of them
    Last edited by apostate; November 27, 2005 at 09:21 AM.
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast