Thread: 6.3 Brightness

Default 6.3 Brightness

Well ive posted this in the 6.3 Release and bug report section but no replies so i thought id throw it in here. The Brightness upon opening seemed very dark to me, i assumed adjusting the brightness in options via the slidebar whould fix this however the bar is sliding up and down the (scale?) but the actual brightness isnt changing in game. My monitor settings for gamma and brightness are both as high as they can go. Is there anyway to change brightness via files etc.?........Other than this its seems the perfect mod so far.

Default Re: 6.3 Brightness

Well with all those questions the brightness issue somehow got lost, what with installations failing and whatnot. Sorry for that.
    I suggest deactivating the windowed mode that automatically activates when the SS resolution is the same as your desktops.
    Should be in the faq, hopefully.

Btw your topic still might get moved back into Bug Reports.
    Generally speaking a bug topic in the main forum doesn't really get you more attention or a faster response then the once in the Bug Report.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    Well with all those questions the brightness issue somehow got lost, what with installations failing and whatnot. Sorry for that
    No problem i understand how hard it must be for the usual question answerers to stay on top of whats goin on when new releases come about.

I suggest deactivating the windowed mode that automatically activates when the SS resolution is the same as your desktops.
    Should be in the faq, hopefully.
    Thankyou, will give it ago.

Btw your topic still might get moved back into Bug Reports.
    Generally speaking a bug topic in the main forum doesn't really get you more attention or a faster response then the once in the Bug Report.
    Again thankyou, i have learnt my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Q: I don't like borderless window mode, what now? A: Inside your SS folder, there is a file default.cfg. Open it with notepad, and change "autoBorderlessMode=true" to "autoBorderlessMode=false". You can also modify other launcher features there, like the ability to swap battle AI's, auto redirect system.log.txt to SS folder, and menu music swapping.
    Done what it said in the FAQ (as above) but it doesnt seem to have changed the situation with adjusting the brightness.

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Well then it seems to be a system related problem, rather then a mtw2 related one.
    What about other mods or vanilla mtw2?

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

You could increase the brightness of your graphics card.
    Just right-click on your desktop, open up the GPU's control panel, and locate it's brightness/gamma settings.

6.2 and Vanilla Kingdoms seem to be fine, and ive also changed my graphics card settings, putting brightness, contrast, gamma etc. to full but still no difference.

Could it be a bad install/download? If so ill try that before using up more of your time.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Not sure if its been mentioned... but can you turn the brightness up on your monitor? I can do that on mine and reguardless of program it brightens

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post
    Not sure if its been mentioned... but can you turn the brightness up on your monitor? I can do that on mine and reguardless of program it brightens
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandal View Post
    Well ive posted this in the 6.3 Release and bug report section but no replies so i thought id throw it in here. The Brightness upon opening seemed very dark to me, i assumed adjusting the brightness in options via the slidebar whould fix this however the bar is sliding up and down the (scale?) but the actual brightness isnt changing in game. My monitor settings for gamma and brightness are both as high as they can go. Is there anyway to change brightness via files etc.?........Other than this its seems the perfect mod so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Historydude View Post
    Forgot to say in the earlier post, ty for all the replies, regarding the monitor, they're up as high as they can go. Maybe its time i invested in an LCD monitor.

Not sure if a new monitor is needed and I really doubt redownloading would help. My money is still on the driver settings and don't forget that some monitor have their own color/brightness profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandal View Post
    Forgot to say in the earlier post, ty for all the replies, regarding the monitor, they're up as high as they can go. Maybe its time i invested in an LCD monitor.
    You're still using a CRT monitor? 0.o
    If you do get a new monitor, keep the old one too, and use it as a secondary monitor (almost no one go back to a single monitor after having used two for a while ), then you can for example have Stainless Steel running on one monitor, and IM and a browser on the other. It's also been proven by studies that it increases productivity about 20% IIRC.
    Edit: oh and, it's probably a driver problem, like bane_tw says, adjusting on the graphics card should have worked.
    Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU.
    Last edited by Meneth; August 04, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

A 2 monitor setup is great. Only downside of using a CRT: your table might not be level anymore after a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    You're still using a CRT monitor? 0.o
    Unfortunately yes

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    If you do get a new monitor, keep the old one too, and use it as a secondary monitor (almost no one go back to a single monitor after having used two for a while ), then you can for example have Stainless Steel running on one monitor, and IM and a browser on the other. It's also been proven by studies that it increases productivity about 20% IIRC.
    Hmm i might need a new comp desk aswell then, or maybe i could place one on top of the other.

EDIT: How would i go about updating my Graphics Card drivers, i'm a bit new to the 'technical side' of computers (i dont even know if updating drivers is technical *cry*)
    Last edited by Scandal; August 04, 2010 at 07:31 AM.

A 2 monitor setup is great. Only downside of using a CRT: your table might not be level anymore after a year.
    And the fact that it takes huge amounts of space and is heavy as hell
    Still, a CRT as a secondary monitor is better than a single LCD monitor. Even 2 CRTs would probably be better than a single LCD.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

check the specs of your computer (if you need help doing that a quick google search can find a program for it!) and then find your graphics card, google its name + the word download, and you should come upon updates for it ready for download!

Also windowsupdate should offer new hardware driver updates in the "optional" section as long as the manufactures had them certified.

I think its sorted now, originally when i changed the Graphics card settings i was changing it in the video section? But after changing the 'desktop' brightness in the graphics card settings it seems to be ok.

Thankyou all for the help.

Ridiculous advice, you think I should change my computer brightness or my graphics card brightness to fix a total war med issue, and screw up the settings for the rest of my programs...you know how stupid that is, that is the laziest thing I've ever heard, rather than take criticism and fix the game you'd rather pass it off as a graphics card issue
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit View Post
    Ridiculous advice, you think I should change my computer brightness or my graphics card brightness to fix a total war med issue, and screw up the settings for the rest of my programs...you know how stupid that is, that is the laziest thing I've ever heard, rather than take criticism and fix the game you'd rather pass it off as a graphics card issue

Ridiculous advice seems to have worked