Thread: MTW error

Default MTW error

Hi!

I don't know if I'm asking in te right place, but I'm using Medieval Total War, with the 1.1 patch.
    I am not a programmer, but I like modifiing the game a little bit (like, I made the Russians playable in the Early period by having their faction instead of the Novorgodians).

My OS: Wnidows XP professional Service Pack 3
    DirectX: 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    CPU: Intel Celeron D 330, 2679 MHz (20 x 134)
    Memory: 768 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Video card: RADEON 9550 Secondary (128 MB)
    3D acceltrator: ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350)

Now. I'm making my own "native mod" (which has the countries and the factions renamed to what are they in the native languages, like England will be England, Hungary will be Magyarország, Turkey will be Türkiye, etc.

I also added much more names. But then, my game just doesen't start.
    I copied this from the crash.txt
    Code:
    Medieval_TW.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Medieval_TW.exe at 001B:00424916
    EAX=00000011  EBX=4F49544E  ECX=4F49544E  EDX=01611A80  ESI=4F49544E
    EDI=01611AF8  EBP=01656520  ESP=0013FBC0  EIP=00424916  FLG=00010202
    CS=001B   DS=0023  SS=0023  ES=0023   FS=003B  GS=0000
    001B:00424916 (0x00000011 0x41495245 0x00000000 0x00000000) Medieval_TW.exe
    Also, if you are curious, here are my edited files
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OT2ZM0ZW

What is causing the crash? I can't even start the game, Windows XP just gives me the error right into my face!

Default Re: MTW error

Can anyone answer?

At first I thought you had several sections missing, then I realised you're modding v1.1. I haven't the time to go through your files, but I can provide some advice to help you overcome such issues in the future.

You've changed two files: "names.txt" and "early.txt". Try replacing these in turn with the original files and see when the crash stops occurring. Once you've isolated it down to the file causing the problem (it can only be one of the two), use a text editor that allows for side by side resynchronising file comparison. Check the diffference and above all the syntax, that should help you find the error.

AFAIK a startpos file doesn't cause CTDs if it's faulty - it simply gets ignored by the game. This points to a syntax problem in names.txt being the most likely source of the problem. Of course this may not be the case for v1.1 (it's years since I've modded that).

I would advise that you get hold of the VI expansion, it will open the doors to more advanced modding and allow you to install many of the great mods available for MTW/VI 2.01, such as the XL mod, BKB Supermod, and Samurai Warlords mod.

Good luck fiinding those errors.

Thanks!
    I will try to do my best to find out the problem.
    Also, when I try to add new names, the game won't start up at all.
    Like, when I add "Hereric" and "Hengist" to the Engllish forenames, and "Attila" to the Hungarian and Turkish forenames, the game just won't start up.

Guess I'll need to get Viking Invasion somehow.

It's over 12 months since I've modded anything, but I think those names are just translations linked to names declared in the "default_heroes.txt" file. You may want to have a look there. Not many modders check these forum these days, TWC does not really have an MTW1 community as such, so you may want to post your question over at the .org

Getting VI is your best bet yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    It's over 12 months since I've modded anything, but I think those names are just translations linked to names declared in the "default_heroes.txt" file. You may want to have a look there. Not many modders check these forum these days, TWC does not really have an MTW1 community as such, so you may want to post your question over at the .org

Getting VI is your best bet yes.

default_heroes.txt?
    I can't find such a thing.
    Anyway, I'm not a big modder. I just make minor changes, but sometimes even minor changes (liek adding some names) will the game up.

Argh my mistake again..., that's because you don't have VI, the default_heroes file wasn't in MTW v1.1. This probably means that any new names you add will cause the game to crash due to hardcoded limits. Your best bet is to wait until you get VI.

Finally, I've got VI
    And it's awesome.
    I sucesfully added new names!

Now I'm modding to make he Scottish, Welsh and Irish playable on the original Early campaign

Glad to hear it worked out well in the end Hunnic_Janissari, have fun modding VI.

Cool
    I downloaded the XL mod and modified it further.
    Thus, I'm trying to add Shogun Total War music, and make it play for the Mongols (Golden Horde).

I still have to find a way to make the game play those new sounds I added