Thread: Name that historical figure!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Hint? He looks like someone with some Asian blood, though he might well be Russian or East European anyways.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

He may be of Eastern European stock.....but a very distinct one.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Is he Turkish?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I'm afraid not
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

I won't say that Turks are Easter Europeans, btw

However, I've excluded Russians, so I went for Hungarians: that is Imre Nagy, two times Prime Minister and National hero (although recently his story has been reviewed in a less positive way).
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

That's correct, a hero to some, a villian to others.

Your turn.
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

This is one's easy, that grave is probably the most well know from Middle Age

Blog Entries

now come on...

he was an English Knight

Blog Entries

His personal story is closely interconnected with that of the early House of Plantagenet.

HOWEVER, I just realized I got tricked by google, I selected the wrong pic for his grave (that's of his elder son, which is side with side with that of the father, anyways).

Here below is a full pic, "our" grave is the one on the left, then

Sir William Marshal
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Ah you got it, very well done!

Honestly, there's so little about him in History books, when he was indeed a very important character of his times (i.e. his regency of Henry the III and his contribution to the Magna Charta, for instance).

The greatest Knight that ever lived (or so they say )

Over to you!

- Sun Tzu

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Honestly can’t figure out who this guy is. My first thought was to go through a ton of US civil war generals trying to see if he matched up because the camera and beard seem dead-on for that era but after a little bit of looking I can’t find a match. Maybe I have the country wrong entirely but I feel fairly confident that this guy has to be in a 1850s-1870s photo.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Honestly can’t figure out who this guy is. My first thought was to go through a ton of US civil war generals trying to see if he matched up because the camera and beard seem dead-on for that era but after a little bit of looking I can’t find a match. Maybe I have the country wrong entirely but I feel fairly confident that this guy has to be in a 1850s-1870s photo.
    The period is correct, the country is not.. it took me a while, but knowing that realm56 often posts dudes from Australia, eventually I found the dude

Robert O'Hara Burke

Yes!

Burke was one half of the famous Burke and Wills Expedition that attempted to travel from Melbourne all the way up to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the Northern Territory, a distance of around 3,250 kilometres (approximately 2,000 miles). All with the goal of mapping out a possible telegram line to connect Australia to the new telegraph cable in Java and then Europe. Sadly, the expedition ended in tragedy in Cooper's Creek so close to their return to Melbourne due to malnutrition and exhaustion.

Men!, Flinn needs repping!
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Hint: Tuscany, 15th century

I was initially thinking a woman associated with da Vinci or a consort of the Medicis but couldn't find that picture so I believe it was a dead end. The painting looks a little too rustic compared to da Vinci's work to be late 15th century, so its more likely an early 15th century figure IMO

I don't think it is correct because I couldn't find this picture but I'm going to guess it is Lucrezia Tornabuoni just because she seems the most historically relevant of these Medici wives in that century

That's a man, I believe. The figure reminded me of Emperor John VIII's portrait, so I checked the painting in the Wikipedia. If the site is to be trusted, he's supposed to be Lorenzo the Magnificent.

Oh wow well hey apparently I guessed his mother so I can’t be blamed given the familial resemblance