Thread: Name that historical figure!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Name that historical figure!

Someone of the thirty years war?

The curly hair can't be from a military person of the 18/19 century.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Well, it's closer than the Romans, but not particularly close.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Next hint then. He was a, and eventullly the principal military leader for a French king.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I don't recognize the image but the mortuary statue looks Medieval. Also based on the description it is probably Bertrand du Guesclin. It could be a later general from the Hundred Years War or something, but Guesclin is a safe bet.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I don't recognize the image but the mortuary statue looks Medieval. Also based on the description it is probably Bertrand du Guesclin. It could be a later general from the Hundred Years War or something, but Guesclin is a safe bet.
    Well done! Yes, it's Bertrand du Guesclin.

Bertrand du Guesclin (c. 1320 – 13 July 1380), nicknamed "The Eagle of Brittany" or "The Black Dog of Brocéliande", was a Breton knight and an important military commander on the French side during the Hundred Years' War. From 1370 to his death, he was Constable of France for King Charles V. Well known for his Fabian strategy, he took part in six pitched battles and won the four in which he held command.

Patrician

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Hint: This man fought in the Napoleonic Wars but he is known for his military career afterwards.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Tomás de Zumalacárregui.

Patrician

Correct, he was one of the Carlist generals in the First Carlist War.

Can someone please rep Brewster for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Correct, he was one of the Carlist generals in the First Carlist War.

Can someone please rep Brewster for me?
    I repped Brewster for you (well I tried, and seemed to work.)

Blog Entries

It didn't work

Alright, here comes someone supposed to be a direct relative of mine, if I am to believe what my family told me.

Better than mine, the oldest ancestors of me that I am aware of were an usurer and a counterfeiter. Googling for one eye, Dutch general and Indonesia points towards Karel van der Heyden. I wonder if he belonged to the same family as admiral Heyden, who participated in the battle of Navarin against the poor, innocent Ottoman fleet.

Blog Entries

I think not, the Admiral is named "van Heiden" and my ancestor is "van der Heijden."

Karel's rumored father is Hubert Joseph Jean Lambert De Steurs, who would become the commander of the KNIL, Royal Netherlands-Indies Army.

Yes, you're right, since their family names are not the same, they are definitely not related.
    Anyway, next one is one of Robespierre's victims, as the wig implies:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anacharsis Cloots

Jean-Baptiste du Val-de-Grâce, baron de Cloots (24 June 1755 – 24 March 1794), better known as Anacharsis Cloots (also spelled Clootz), was a Prussian nobleman who was a significant figure in the French Revolution.[1] Perhaps the first to theorize world government, he was also an anarchist. He was nicknamed "orator of mankind", "citoyen de l'humanité" and "a personal enemy of God
    found here

Indeed, an anarchist Prussian with a Scythian Christian name! The premise of the site is funny, but they really mixed up the portraits. They were confused a bit with Louis XV and Louis XVI and I really doubt that Victor de Broglie was able to get such a nice picture of himself in the late 1780s.

Blog Entries

Is that an old Ching Kai Chek?

Nope. Guess he looks a bit east asian in this pic but he was not (afaik anyway!)

Ok, wasn't really expecting anyone to get that, but you never know.

Hint: 1903