Page 1 of 106 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 Released

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Default Stainless Steel 6.3 Released

Stainless Steel 6.3
    a Medieval 2: Kingdoms mod
    (Standalone - does not require previous SS installations)

Installation:
    Download all the parts (including the setup) into the same folder and run SS6.3.exe.
    DOES NOT REQUIRE PREVIOUS SS INSTALLATIONS!
    If you wish to switch from early to late or viceversa, or change the script features, just run the setup from start menu (SS_setup.exe inside ss folder).
    Remember, that changing features mid-game will make your saves unplayable - until you switch back to the same feature setup as before!

K
    nown bugs, solutions and posting guidelines to report bugs are located in Bug Reports for 6.3 - read it before posting a bug.

Mandatory bugfixes for 6.3 are available with additional content/corrections from here as a installer or here for manual application. Only use the manual method if you have good reason to.

It is recommended to upgrade to 6.4.

Download:
    Mirror 1 - Megaupload
    by Losthief
    Installer .EXE: Filefront or MegaUpload (3mb)
    (needs all of the following parts [the bin files] in the same folder to work)
    SS 6.3 Part 1: MegaUpload (596mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 4: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 5: MegaUpload (66mb)
    Megaupload limits downloadslots to one for each IP.
    Should you exceed your download limit, reconnect
    or download the rest from Filefront. Note that the
    torrent is very well seeded, use it if you are familiar.
    Mirror 2 - Torrent
    by bane_tw
    Stainless Steel 6.3 Torrent
    The site also offers the option of downloading using BitLet
    ( = only browser & java needed, no torrent client necessary)
    Mirror 3 - Gamefront
    by Losthief
    Installer .EXE: Filefront or Gamefront (3mb)
    (needs all of the following parts [the bin files] in the same folder to work)
    SS 6.3 Part 1: Gamefront (596mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: Gamefront (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: Gamefront (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 4: Gamefront (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 5: Gamefront (66mb)
    Note that the torrent is very well seeded, use it if you are familiar.
    Mirror 4 - Filefront
    by Black-
    Attention:The files on filefront have been split in half due to upload limits.
    7-zip is needed to unzip the files (free great unzipper and compressor)
    To install, you have to un-zip the zip files together,
    two parts make one .bin file (IE part 1.1+1.2 = .bin 1)
    If your unfamiliar with this process try using the
    helper program for SS6.3 filefront mirror or select a different mirror

Installer .EXE: Filefront or MegaUpload (3mb)
    (needs all of the following parts [bin files, have to be extracted first] in the same folder to work)
    SS 6.3 Part 1: Part 1.1, Part 1.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: Part 2.1, Part 2.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: Part 3.1, Part 3.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 4: Part 4.1, Part 4.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 5: Part 5 (.bin file, extracted by installer)

The x.1 and x.2 parts have to be joined with 7zip or
    use the helper program for SS6.3 filefront mirror
    if you have problems joining the splitted archives.

Mirror 5 - Megaupload - Alternative Installer by Sean Cappone
    Alternative Installer - by Sean Cappone
    Attention:
    Despite the info in the installer you DONT have to create a backup of the folder Medieval II Total War.
    This step is completly unnecessary - SS6.3 is 100% modfoldered.
    Install the game into Medieval II Total War\mods\ and not into \Medieval II Total War!
    part1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M6KDJFNU
    part2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AZCFOM2G
    part3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SSB3K0P7
    afterwards patch your installation with
    SS6.3_installation_patcher_v.2.5.exe

Mirror 6 - Moddl - Alternative Installer by Blackshroud (Single .exe)

*Notice this download is not supported by the Stainless Steel Team, pm Blackshroud for help. See here for more info.

Features over 6.1 version.
    General

• Auto border-less mode - ALT+TAB in and out of the game without any loading.
    • New, epic loading screens.
    • New music by Kevin MacLeod, Jon Sayles & Bill Hudak, vanilla MTW2 music was also brought back. (now we have 141 music files + vanilla music, compared to 89 in 6.1 and no vanilla music, that's a hell lot!)
    • New main menu background & splash screen by Y2day.
    • Faction selection crash fixed.
    • All factions accessible in custom battle and hotseat.
    • External campaign chooser - for easy hotseat and CTD reduction.
    • External launcher application - taking care of things the user would normally do.
    • CBUR with most of its features implemented.
    • Riczu trade carts removed.
    • Parts of Awellesley's 1100AD mod integrated.
    • SSTC by Chimaeira implemented.
    • Real Horses by Argent Usher implemented.
    • CBUR and Unit Card improvement projects by Agis Tournas implemented.
    • Animations updates.
    • Y2day's faction shields & banners.
    • New quotes.
    • Proper character aging.
    • Byzantine and Kievan Rus unit cards by akvilonn.
    • Tax auto-manage should now work properly.
    • Added Patriarchs for Orthodox factions.
    • All factions now have their one-liner pre-battle speeches activated (more speeches for existing factions, and no more mute Norway, Kwarzemian Empire, etc. generals)
    • Unbelievable amount of fixes, both big and small, too many to mention them all.

The Campaign Map

• Resources are now better balanced, a couple of new resources were also added.
    • AI friendly map, the AIs' armies should no longer get stuck.
    • Work of art coastlines instead of the square 'vanilla' ones.
    • All resources were moved away from roads, to ensure merchants' peaceful life.
    • Narrow mountain passages were widened enough for agents to freely pass, while armies will still get blocked.
    • Missing ports added.
    • Rebels spawning on inaccessible terrain fixed.
    • Rebel ships spawning in small lakes fixed.
    • Agart's great city & castle models.

The Campaigns

• Rebalanced victory conditions.
    • Rebalanced building bonuses.
    • Guild's HQ's now always offer a faction wide bonus.
    • Rebalanced existing missions.
    • Added more missions.
    • New building - place-able in locations with long rivers.
    • Removed Ireland.
    • Added a new region below Kiev (Ireland is now 2 regions).
    • AI factions tend to stick to their Royal Blood for many generations.
    • Alberi di Famiglia Regal implemented.
    • New Faction Economy scripts.
    • Knight's Templar & Kingdom of Jerusalem have been combined into Crusader States (with mixed units).
    • Mongols are finally pagan.
    • 1TPY Early Era campaign.
    • Slave faction are now a lot more active - including the ability to use merchants, spies and assassins.
    • New troubadours event.

The Battle Map & Unit Balance

• Davide.cool grass mod implemented.
    • Water now looks a whole lot better!
    • Smoother steppes modification by wolfslayer implemented.
    • New war horn sounds by wolfslayer implemented (hand picked by me).
    • Ambient sound files for Muslim temples by wolfslayer implemented.
    • Magus' Crimson Tide implemented (the no-dirt version).
    • Award winning BAI by Germanicu5.
    • Swagger's Skymod included.
    • Knights Templar units from Lord_Calidor's KT mod implemented.
    • BftB units by Caesar Clivus implemented.
    • For God and St. George mods by AWellesley.
    • Lord Condormanius's Mailed Knights.
    • Polish Units by MADTAO included.
    • Rusichi mod units implemented.
    • Real Recruitment's AoR (Area of Recruitment) system included.
    • RR's system nearly fully integrated. (please refer to RR/RC OCT 30 post for more detailed changes)

Traits & Ancilliaries

• Rebalanced merchant traits for 1TPY.
    • As merchants get older, they lose movement points.
    • Generals are now a lot easier to educate in settlements with schools etc.
    • Faction Leaders can now acquire a set of traits affecting all settlements and generals.

Credits

The Stainless Steel 6.3 Team:

gracul - leader, coding, mapping, CAI, etc...
    King Kong - SS 6.1
    Point Blank - RR/RC, lots of things
    Byg - support and BGR
    Caesar Clivus - support and CBUR
    Rozanov - coding and ideas
    Germanicu5 - coding and ideas, BAI
    y2day - art & graphics
    Awellesley- units & support

Beta testers:
    Smikis
    bane
    sancco
    TheColdTruth
    Zanze
    CamilleBonparte
    adecoy95
    nonnob3
    Pedrol
    Navajo Joe

Other contributors:

Savage - CAI
    Caralampio
    wolfslayer
    Santiago de Pola
    davide.cool - better grass
    Argent Usher - real horses
    Agis Tournas & Anthonius II - CBUR
    Magus - Crismon Tide
    Lord Calidor - KT mod
    agart - castle & city strat models
    Agis Tournas - Unit Card improvement
    Black_Nebula - Hungary Impaler Skins
    Seether - AFR mod
    Soupdragon - EE watchtower
    Chimaeira - SSTC
    Lord Condormanius - Mailed Knights
    Akvilonn - additional unit info cards
    MADTAO - polish units
    Barser - unit models
    Csatádi - hungarian map guidelines
    gewehr36 - pagan mongols
    Cedric37 - UIs
    Kevin MacLeod - music
    Jon Sayles & Bill Hudak - music
    Swagger - sky mod
    Akvilonn - Unit info cards
    nonnob3 - Unit info cards
    Lusted - CAI
    Lord Calidor - KT mod
    Quark (wherever you are right now)

Thanks to all the people in the SS forums who posted bugs and fixes!
    Special thanks to all the people on the TWC forums providing tools for easier mod editing!

Before posting any questions, read the Frequently Asked Questions Section beneath this post, and Meneth's Stainless Steel 6.3 Compendium
    Last edited by Ishan; December 05, 2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: updated mirrors

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Released!

F.A.Q
    (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q:Which MTW2 patches do I need?
    A: SS6.3 runs on any version of kingdoms expansion. So a kingdoms install out-of-the-box is as good as the 1.5 patch.

Q: Which kingdoms campaign do I have to install?
    A: Actually, you don't need any. In the kingdoms setup, you can just uncheck all the campaigns and the 1.4 patch will install automatically. You will have to manually move kingdoms.exe from the CD through. (for example from CD:\teutonic\main)

Q: How come i can now alt+tab out of the game and no loading bar pops-up?
    A: Blessings of auto-borderless mode, which is handled by the launcher.exe. Now you don't have to waste time waiting for the turns to change or battlemap to load - you can just alt+tab and do other stuff on the computer!

Q: How come this borderless window mode doesn't work for me?
    A: Your desktop resolution must be the same as the in-game resolution, otherwise the launcher will force disable it.

Q: I don't like borderless window mode, what now?
    A: Inside your SS folder, there is a file default.cfg. Open it with notepad, and change "autoBorderlessMode=true" to "autoBorderlessMode=false". You can also modify other launcher features there, like the ability to swap battle AI's, auto redirect system.log.txt to SS folder, and menu music swapping.

Q: Is there a way to switch from early to late campaigns or change my campaign options? Or do I have to reinstall SS again?
    A: If you wish to switch from early era to late era or viceversa, or change the script features, just run the setup from start menu (SS_setup.exe inside ss folder). Make sure you select the same settings when loading a save from a different campaign.

Q: My SS have crashed, what to do?
    A: First, you can try replaying that part - random crashed do occur even in vanilla. Second, if the crash is repeating, create a post at the bug-forums, and describe your bug as well as attach the last 100 lines of your log file (you can access it from the start menu group). Third, you can post the savegame file, which will greatly increase the chance of the problem getting fixed. Even if the cause of the crash does not appear in the log, it can be traced by memory. SS should be as stable and even a little bit more stable then vanilla

Q: How do I speed up the time between turns?
    A: Unfortunately, there is not much to do. The code used in SS is huge, and MTW2 does not really offer any code optimization when it comes to script handling. Be aware that playing with BGR can increase your turn time by 100%!

Q: Wow! Battle map is very laggy!
    A: If you have an older computer, you may want to your SS directory, and inside default.cfg change "unit_detail=highest", to "unit_detail=low". Why is this by default set to highest? because when using the highest option MTW2 is forced to use models at any distance, instead of using spirites. What were the spirites you might ask? The little funny-looking images of soldiers when you zoom out a little.

Q: Why do i have to use SS_setup.exe and launcher.exe?
    A: Because you don't want to manually mess with SS insides.

Q: That's all? 2 years for just a couple of features?
    A: SS was turned inside-out, what’s left of 6.1 in its original state is only some textures and models...

Q: I like the music, how can i extract it from SS?
    A: All the new music files SS uses are located in data\sounds\music.

Q: I've spotted a bug! Now what?
    A: If what you found is a graphical glitch, typo, inaccessible resource or anything like that, just make a reply post in the official 6.3 bug thread, you can find it as a sticky in the bug report forums.

Q: Is submod X compatible with SS 6.3?
    A: The answer is no. If it wasn't designed strictly for 6.3, there is about 1% chance its compatible.

Q: Hey! You said max faction limit is reached, and i can still see 2 faction slots free!
    A: Yep, there is one slot free, but there is not much to do with it, since the EDU is out of units. What's fun in a faction with no unique units? If ever proper room is made, Point Blank will be the one to make it. Increasing the number of playable factions will also have an impact on the turn time, which is already too long.

Q: I have a suggestion to add XYZ to ZYX, how about that?
    A: Good suggestions are always welcome, but sometimes implementing them can be pretty much impossible. Any suggestions you might have should be directed at the suggestions thread.

Q: Where can i read more about Byg's Grim Reality mod?
    A: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060 , first post. It's worth to read.

Q: Where can i read more about Real Recruitment?
    A: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=300716 , first post. Also worth to read

Q: Is Real Combat mod fully integrated in SS 6.3?
    A: Indeed Real Combat is fully integrated, as is Real Recruitment. Note that it is not the most current version from August 13 this year but an older one.

Q: How can i express my gratitude for the mod?
    A: Well, a good way to do that would be some nice flowers for your girlfriend, or a beer for your boyfriend. We don't really accept any other form of gratitude then actually playing the mod.

Q: Why mongols say 'my sultan' when they are pagans and are lead by a khan? Same goes for cumans!
    A: Mongol voices were never properly in the game. They have some voices in vanilla, but these are just battle map voices and voices 'when you play any other faction but them'. So if you happen to play them in vanilla(by modding the game) they are mute. That's why we don't have a proper voice pack for them - would have to make one. If you have a Mongolian accent and speak English, be sure to pm me.

Q: I've got steam, what to do?
    A: First, i always hoped making a custom .exe file would fix using mods with steam, but no one ever using steam would reply to me asking if they can check if a custom exe does the job. So it's like a blind man walking in a desert searching for water. Yep, he can still fall into an oasis and drown, but what the chance? SOLUTION FOR STEAM USERS HERE:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...59#post7808159

Q: My MTW2 is installed on a different drive then SS, do i have to reinstall.
    A: Due to SS's nature, you can just move its folder around/change its name as you wish, so just move SS to the right disk. You'll have to manually take care of the start menu and desktop icons though.

Q: Faction ZXC is too strong!
    A: No! ZXC is weak, look at ZXCASD, that's what we call hammer time! There are no overpowered nations in this game, its just that some factions have a harder time battling other factions. For example, Poland has very good cavalry, that can just roll over many of the western knights, but they would be nearly useless against Scottish pikes.
    If what you meant was the political situation in the game, then if your using Gracul's or Savage's AI then everything should be well balanced. Lusted's AI is favouring large factions.

Q: Where are my SS screenshots?
    A: Inside your MTW2 dir, tgas folder.

Q: Can I use feature ZXC in my own mod?
    A: An appropriate PM to the feature creator is a good way to start.

Q: Faction ZXC isn't not represented historically correct, you should change a lot of stuff!
    A: Some thing had to be sacrificed for gameplay. Yes, we could represent the HRE with a huge amount of knights and a lot of cities to represent their population, but we are unable to represent their internal conflicts which made them not steamroll over poland for example. Same goes with a lot of other factions.

Q: Can I install this on top of my SS6.2?
    A: Due to the nature of 6.3, yes you can. Why? Because 6.3 will simply overwrite all the files anyway

Q: Can I install this parallel to Stainless Steel 6.1, or Stainless Steel 6.2, or other variants earlier then 6.3?
    A: Yes you can, by default 6.3 installs into a completly seperate folder and is 100% independant (hence the "standalone")

Q: Do I need to have Stainless Steel version 6.1 or 6.2 or any other installed beforehand?
    A: No, as stated in the release post 6.3 is standalone, no previous Stainless Steel installations required.

Q: Help! While installing i get this message or similar:
    "Create process failed; code 14001.
    This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstaling the application may fix this problem."
    A: Install this 1mb package, with run-time c++ libraries: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    After you've done that, make sure to go to Stainless Steel start menu group, and run setup.
    Last edited by bɑne; October 19, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Congratulations Gracul!

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Wow sweet! I'm downloading now. Thanks for all your hard work!

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

excellent!! would it be recommended to uninstall 6.2 first?

thanks again for your hard work! the alt-tab feature by itself pays the price of admission!

Libertus

Awesome! Thanks Gracul and thanks to the rest of the team! I truly appreciate the time you all took to make this possible, can't thank you enough! I'd rep you if i could but I'm unable to atm.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

I can't wait to see all the new additons in action, downloading now!

EDIT: I'm...going to be here a while. Worth the wait though.
    Last edited by hippacrocafish; August 02, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Seems great!

Liandro's Avatar Miles

My.... my internet card can't download that much in a month! I'm doomed!

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

Great work Gracul and the SS TEAM!!!

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Will the improved grass and water cause trouble for those of us with less-than-exceptional GPUs? Mine can already barely run Med II on low settings.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

I want to die its so fluffy! Honestly I have beenwaiting for this forever! I can't congratulate you more Gracul!

Jack95's Avatar Libertus

You know, I really you guys...

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

wow. quick download. the whole package in under 30 mins. lets hope it works with steam!

Congratulations! We all thank you for your persistence.

In two weeks or so, I will be able to give this mod a spin for myself. Looking forward to it!
    In the mean time, I hope some of you could share your opinions/campaigns/screen shot etc.

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

I'll upload as many screenies as I can! in 2 - 9 hours....if it doesn't fail.... damn you mega upload!!!

NICE!
    But wait...I have to reinstall SS all over again?
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Won't be there a version for just converting 6.0 to 6.3? Or at least a torrent...is kinda toooo much for MegaUpload.

Even so, congratulations and thanks for your dedication.

How do you delete the 6.2 or 6.1 SS version off your system clean?

Thank you so much gracul...curses for having no megaupload account. Going to take awhile to DL but good things come to those who wait impatiently.